/fast/ #107 Cold Exposure Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice. It is not necessary but will help.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A9zS94x2nd8
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1qOuS4ZCQ
youtube.com/channel/UCqYPhGiB9tkShZorfgcL2lA/videos
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3975627/
scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Potassium-chloride-99-1000g-HDPE-Bottle/112117315193
lazada.com.my/ethical-multifunction-kitchen-gram-scale-stainless-steel-digital-food-scale-5000g-001oz1g-silver-120671028.html
healthland.time.com/2011/01/26/turn-down-the-thermostat-drop-a-few-pounds/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that being cold will make you burn more calories, convert more white fat to brown (getting more mitochondria in your white fat), and central heating and high home temperatures have been linked to obesity.

I can't handle cold showers. They make me want to die.

Will lime juice break autophagy?

I'd like to see your sources

I'd rather not give up the only time i feel warm all day

>Cold Exposure Edition
youtube.com/watch?v=A9zS94x2nd8
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1qOuS4ZCQ
been doing cold showers for over a week
30 seconds cold at the beginning and 30 seconds at the end .
working my way up to 1minute
everyone i know thinks its crazy

>Cold showers
>Nofap
>Fasting
Is this how I become god?

Day 4
I'm gonna die

how do i handle working while on a fast? I typically do 1-3 day fasts and i usually find myself very weak and tired, how do I manage that?

I too am on day 4.
I miss food and am craving some thick ass greasy pizza like no tomorrow, but I'll make it. On the road to 30 days here.
You'll make it too brah.
Don't give up.

Day 2, 18% body fat. Its late, I'm tired, but I'm hungry so I can't sleep (also because of preworkout). Am I gonna make it?

Try fasting for 7 days.
The first 3 days are usually the hardest when just starting fasting, and then it becomes easier after then. To stop on day 3 seems like a waste.
Make sure you're drinking your snake potions too and do some light cardio exercises. Also consider cold to lukewarm showers.

Yes.

okay thanks, I'm actually on day 3 of a fast rn, I'll follow your advice

youtube.com/channel/UCqYPhGiB9tkShZorfgcL2lA/videos
great channel

Is it alright to take fat burner while water fasting?

I usually take it to stop the hunger throughout the day

>central heating and high home temperatures have been linked to obesity

>I'd like to see your sources

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3975627/

You don't need that shit. You are literally your own food, just let the fasting do it's thing

How do I take cold showers?
They seriously make me want to die. How do you get used to them?

newfag here, what do I add to my "snake potion"? Where am I getting this potassium from?

Are you 12? Just jump in the shower.
Watch his videos he details it all out and them some.

No cunt. Don't talk like cold showers are easy to take. They're not for the vast majority of people.
Some advice on making them less awful would be appreciated if any exists.

This is the only advice. Dont easy into it just jump in it really is that simple. I have a pool in my backyard thats cold as fuck. I wake up by jumping in it and swim around for a few mins and it feels amazing.

How should I lift while on fast.

Are gummy vitamins okay or should I stick to capsules.

I understand that, I use it daily to put the cravings of eating at holt till dinner, just wondering if theres problems with fasting while using it

Yeah have you never been polar bearing? Same concept except your pipes will never expel 33F water

You don't need to take vitamins while fasting, snake juice is more than sufficient.
Lifting is fine but take it easy and don't try to max out and go for any PRs, since you might pass out and die.

What level of exercise best preserves muscles during a fast. Is there any point in doing anything more than some calisthenics, and if so, at what point does it stop becoming maintenance and just needlessly breaking down muscle without building it back up. Additionally, what cardio best helps speed up fasts?

in OP's video, a two hour brisk walk seemed to be enough

Any alternative to spending two hours walking?

This isnt as complicated as youre making it. You just want to burn up all your glycogen. Do any kind of cardio you want dude.

I binged for 2 days :(
I want to start a fast tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll make it. The longest I've gone is 3 days. Not to mention I cook for my bf every night when he comes home from work and that's when the cravings start.

im not sure if doing the breath exercises is what helped me get past my initial fear.or if it was that i just did it and increased the time of cold weekly.
do 3 rounds of the breathing exercise as show in these 2 vids then just do 30 seconds of cold , you can do it

today i started my shower cold 1 min then went to hot and ended on cold 1 min

a thirty minute jog would probably be equivalent. Working out on a row machine for 20 minutes maybe. I'm not an expert.

Seriously though I feel like I'm gonna throw up

Won't that slow my metabolism?

What about if I want to preserve muscle mass? Do my usual routine at quarter weight?

I already walk two hours every day, so it's literally just fasting and skipping gym for 4 weeks then, thanks!

its a grey area on whether you should skip the gym.if you feel good go lift.

>Won't that slow my metabolism?

Don't get confused between fasting and general low calorie diets. Fasting slightly boosts metabolism while low calorie diets drag them down as the ongoing analysis of Biggest Loser contestants demonstrates.

scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

Dang. I get that same feel when I get home and my mom made a homecooked meal and I smell that shit. It's almost 1 and I'm still hungry as hell.

I ended up vomiting a bit. You guys have any idea why? It was all yellow and shit. I blame the men's one a day I took in the morning.

Thats probably why. Power through youll be glad you did.

Yeah I am aware of what messed up low calorie diets can do. That show is an example of that. Can't I consume 200 calories a day in veggies just to feel full tho?

Today wasn't even so bad until now. I guess I shouldn't take any pills.

Fasting. The word says it all.

>Can't I consume 200 calories a day in veggies just to feel full tho?
[YouTube] Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference? (Science of Fasting) (embed)
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be

watch the vid and dont let no disobedient avocados tell you nothing

If you take vitamins on an empty stomach, of course you're going to feel nauseous retard.
You don't need to take any sort of supplements or vitamins while fasting whatsoever outside of sodium and potassium.
This should really be added in the OP or some shit.

I just did a quick Google search and I guess this was normal. Apparently plenty of people vomit bile during their fast. I'm still not going to take the pill tomorrow though, just to be safe.

Hah, I remember avocado

>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

Is there any downside to just chugging it quickly to get it over with?

I actually know that channel but never watched his fasting videos
Holy, I guess that makes sense and I could try it

>Is there any downside to just chugging it quickly to get it over with?

Unless you've got a really strong constitution, you're likely to upchuck the entire contents almost immediately.

Well shit son, ok. Sippin' it is.

Morning, Lads, got a question.

fasted for 6 days last week and did a refeed on sunday with low/no carb (have fasted prior to this as well) gotten some great results

So it's 61 hours into the new fast, might as well step on the scale... and exactly the same weight I was on Sunday morning (72 hours ago)

How is that possible when I've only been water fasting, what has my body been consuming? What's the science behind this?

Oh also, keto strips are almost black

Not just that. You'll get a stomach ulcer and shit your guts out as well.
Don't try to be a hero guys. Sip your shit throughout the day.

Keto OMAD Nofap day 7 here.
I had two gaps where I had nothing to eat for 36h but I'm back at omad eating about 900 cal.

>Constant energy levels, never tired
>Forgot what hunger feels like
>Brain focus gains through the roof
>Gf extremely pissed because my dick won't work, thinks I turned homo.
>Lost all interest in women, alcohol, tobacco
>Started feeling superior towards carbohydrate consuming peasants
>Mother still wants to disavow me and begs me to eat
>Posture has improved
>Having problems falling asleep
>Still thinking about the onion fast

I actually feel better than I did in the last 5 years thanks to this. I feel mental clarity, happiness and very energetic.

Fast for longer instead of fucking yourself up with 900kcal OMAD

>You'll get a stomach ulcer
Drinking salt water cannot cause a spontaneous infection with helicobacter pylori which is the bacteria which causes ulcers.

I mean, JFC guys. Professor Robin Warren proved this during his clinical trials in 1983/1984 for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2005.

Yet still people come up with bullshit like this.

I have started today a 48h fast to see if I'm doing. I had issues with gastric acid when I went 36h without food, hope they don't manifest again.

My bad lad. I'm just parroting Cole.

Weird water retention. GO for a long jog/walk and see what happens next morning.

I wish I found out how effective fasting was years ago. Been hovering at around the same weight for the last ~5 years. Ran for the last 2-3 years, but shitty eating habits made me just maintain weight instead of lose. Fuck, it feels harder and much less satisfying to eat the fast food I used to gorge in, fasting is fucking great. Been fasting for little under a month now, an between that and the running I'm at the lowest weight I think I've been in so long. Last I checked I was at 167 (been fluctuating from 175-185 in the last 3 years) and it feels good. I set a goal to be at 150-155 by May, and it seems doable with fasting + running

Feels bad thinking of all those wasted years not fasting

I blame the doctors for consistently overplaying the risks of fasting and saying that the only way of losing weight is a low calorie diet (proven to be a failure ~95% of the time).

Next week I should hit 92KG / 203lbs which is what I weighed 15 years ago (currently 94KG down from 116KG since November).

>Le carbs make you fat
Thats my favorite meme

How much fat do you actually lose per day while fasting would you guys say?
A lot of you bounce back like 10-15 pounds when you finish fasting which makes me think it's just water or something.

Is there any benifit to doing fasting as opposed to a low calorie keto with 18:6 IF?
I'm currently doing 1500 kcal, and I'm seldom hungry.

Aslo, cold showers are the best, they cured my anxiety disorder. Thats really what gave me the strength to start my weight loss in the first place last year.

Fasting trips confirm statement

One obvious benefit should be faster weight loss.
Obviously you'll lose more weight eating nothing than eating something.

>How much fat do you actually lose per day while fasting would you guys say?

It varies widely over the course of the day, I weigh myself after I've pissed each morning and use that as the recorded weight for the day.

I also weigh myself throughout the day, but don't record those. These show my "water weight" gain from drinking about 1.5-2 litres of water.

However, when I weigh myself the following morning I am lower than the recorded weight the previous day, usually by about a 1lb or so.

When you start fasting you lose weight at the fastest rate, but again this is mostly water weight. The most I lost in a single day during this period was 1.4KG / 3.09 lbs.

taking cold shower every fukking day. Still can't really lose the titi fat i deposit when i was younger... what should i do!
Im on IF21/3 since more than half a year.

IF is a meme. Do actual extended fasting.

I dont know man, i fast, i dont beat my meat, i take cold shower every day... still Need my wheelchair...

What more to become god?

3 post, 3 Dubs!!!
Checkm notherfuckers

I understand that I won't lose muscle while fasting; but what about strength? I never seem to get straight answers about this.

Fasting wrecks libido right? How long does it take for it to recover when you start eating again?

no, fasting does at least for me nothing to my Libido. Want to fuck all the time. Approach qts in the gym every day.

rate my fasting results bois

Anecdotal obviously, but guys who have fasted say they were doing the same number of reps with the same level of strength both before and after fasting.

So, any effect that their might be appears to be minimal.

still a fat fuck with terrible posture and no muscle

Lookin shitty! Keep it up!

Can deffo see some results there, any numbers for us?

OW.THE.EDGE

>22 days only coffee and electrolytes
>sacrificing your teeth for this

You might well be right... I am definitely noticing that I'm pissing out less than I'm putting in (in hindsight)

wtf has his teeth got to do with it?

Yup. I get this. I drink in excess of 1.5litres per day, yet piss out less than a cupful. I've come to the conclusion that ketosis is a very thirsty process.

I guess we'll get the "flush" or "whoosh" sooner rather than later

Looks pretty good, face gains especially. You need to go for a while longer however.

>I guess we'll get the "flush" or "whoosh" sooner rather than later

I don't think so. Most actual weight loss seems to take place at night, so I presume we are excreting it as waste through sweat or on our breath.

I've been in ketosis permanently for more than a month now and drinking roughly the same amount of water 1.5-2litres per day and still no whoosh!

>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
1.)What do you guys use to measure your salt and potassium?
2.) Where can I get a good amount of potassium for cheap? All I'm finding on Amazon are 99mg pills and they're kind of pricey for only a two day supply.

Whose videos?

watch snakemans videos

>1.)What do you guys use to measure your salt and potassium?
A teaspoon
>2.) Where can I get a good amount of potassium for cheap?
Walmart or Publix

It's not just throughout the night, but you notice it more after sleeping and not drinking anything for 6+ hours. Breathing uses water.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>2.) Where can I get a good amount of potassium for cheap? All I'm finding on Amazon are 99mg pills and they're kind of pricey for only a two day supply.

This is where I got mine

ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Potassium-chloride-99-1000g-HDPE-Bottle/112117315193

I've got a precision scale accurate to 1 gram. Not perfect (since 0.1gram would have been better), but it beats trying to guestimate with level t-spoons and shit.

lazada.com.my/ethical-multifunction-kitchen-gram-scale-stainless-steel-digital-food-scale-5000g-001oz1g-silver-120671028.html

Cost $8 USD.

I read most of that. But how many calories are we talking if I lower my thermostat by 10 degrees.

Anecdotal evidence I know, but I have used the Android "Snore Lab" app for the last 18-months to monitor both my sleep apnoea and my snoring.

Since I've lost a massive amount of body weight in the last 2 months (18.02% / 20.90KG / 46.08lb / 3.29st) it has cured both my sleep apnoea AND my snoring.

I no longer snore, when I used to snore like some slumbering giant.

How fucking good is that?

Not an exact answer, but the closest I could find (assuming you have your thermostat set at 70F/21C which is pretty standard in Northern climates.

"Dr. C. Ronald Kahn, a Harvard Medical School professor who does research on brown fat, says it might actually help with weight control over time, provided people stick with it.

“When we put people in a 60-degree room, they increase their energy expenditure by 100 or 200 calories a day if they’re in light clothing,” like hospital scrubs, he said. “They’re not shivering. They activate their brown fat.”

Over a period of several weeks, they will have burned an extra 3,500 calories, which translates into the loss of one pound. Wearing a sweater will dilute the effect.

The problem, Dr. Kahn said, is that “most people won’t stay at that temperature for very long.”"

healthland.time.com/2011/01/26/turn-down-the-thermostat-drop-a-few-pounds/