Hey Veeky Forums...

Hey Veeky Forums, why do most boxers seem to have tiny biceps and triceps compared to their usually chiselled and well-defined pecs? Is it their workout style or something? I'm genuinely curious

Also general boxing thread

because the biceps and tris arent used in punches. its all shoulders,back,legs and hip torque

its the long arm frame, their pecs will always be bigger (i.e layne norton, larry wheels)

*chiselled abs and well-defined pecs*

>fit actually came through for once
Damn, it makes sense. I'm planning on getting into amateur boxing, might sound retarded but should I expect to lose any gains in those regions (triceps n biceps)? I purposefully targeted and worked on them for max aesthetics

Not them, but not really, your trunk is the most important part of the sport, but( not as priority) you should train arms: for wrist/elbow/should joint health, it adds a little bit of mass and for power.

boxing is an endurance sport so yeah, you may have trouble staying "big", because it's not optimal for the sport to be big.
Big arms take more energy to move around. causing your punches to be slower and easier to avoid and ultimately it may even cause your own defense to be worse because of it.

If you train like a heavyweight power puncher, you'll be gud user
Pic related, even though Joshua might not be the hardest puncher out there, he sure has some huge ass 'ceps

Daily reminder that boxing causes brain damage.

found the soyboy

Found the brainlet.

Anyone have any good boxing workouts they can recommend? Jump rope? Bag work? Shadow boxing?

How do you find a good boxing gym? (What entails a good boxing gyms)

>(What entails a good boxing gyms)
they don't cost $10 a month, if they are too cheap then you can't complain if the trainer doesn't give you any attention (which they won't if you're not a 12 year old, next big prospect)

>your trunk is the most important part of the sport
This is actually true for pretty much any sport I can think of. Even walking and running, most of our force is generated by the trunk, it's the most vital area in terms of maintaining balance, and is the only reason we're able to do high energy activities for an extended period of time.

In the lower weight classes, it's kind of a necessity... They are only allowed to weigh so much. So they must prioritize where to hold the most mass.

In terms of pure physics when it comes to throwing a punch, the lower and more centered your mass is, the harder your hit.

The power comes from rotating the low and centered weight. The arm extending is what is used to transfer the rotating momentum onto the target.

The more the arm weights:
-The less mass is involved in the above explained rotation
-The slower the arm extends
>The further away your back foot must be to counteract balance
And probably other things.

It's called the sweet science for a reason. Boxing has been around for so long that almost everything is figured out already.

Heavyweight boxing is a different story. They can prioritize different aspects of boxing due to the difference in power and footwork.

I don't know, I haven't done it personally but a friend I used to have was an amateur kickboxer. He said the most time consuming part of his training was simply running.

Didn't mean to greentext one of those lol. Damn wake n bake fucking my typing up

Those arms damn

he's literally 2 meters tall and roided, don't get your hopes up, also out of breath in the 3rd round lmao

>what entails a good boxing gym
It's easier to tell you what entails a bad boxing gym. Or rather a bad coach... Any of the following are bad signs

>sparring on your first day/week
>not being shown proper technique and correcting you when you do it wrong
>telling you to transfer weight onto the front foot while throwing a straight (many lazy coaches teach beginners this and then try to fix it if they ever "get good")
>asking you to buy 10 lessons in advance before you've had 1
>being told to circle the ring for more than 10 minutes

Most good gyms these days should have a website and a time schedule somewhere on there with a day/time for a beginners class.

If they don't set aside at least one slot per week for this then they probably don't even want beginners. So aren't likely to care much for spending time on you.

Ive been thinking about getting into some martial art and boxing is mostly the only one that i have interest in, but i would be really concerned about the health of my brain. Can somebody tell me to what extent my concerns are legit?

Lomachenko has always had bretty big biceps at his weight

because he has t-rex arms

The difference between functional muscles and movie muscles....

because "muh big biceps" is gay and doesn't have shit to do with actually performing in sports

You ever box wearing trainer gloves and regular gloves? There's a noticeable speed difference and energy drain between wearing 8 oz or 10 oz boxing gloves and 16 oz trainer gloves. Same thing with big arms vs leaner arms. Big arms have more mass and will requires more energy to throw punches and will cause fatigue to settle in a lot faster than if you had smaller arms.

great explanation

Thank god the brain genius showed up to enlighten us. Without you no one would have understood that being repeatedly struck in the head could have consequences.

Roids are debatable but it sure as fuck every Veeky Forums heavyweight spend a lot of energy carrying those huge arms, thats why there's room in the division for fatasses such as Tyson Fury