/fast/#108 - Slow edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice. It is not necessary but will help.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

dietdoctor.com/fasting-affect-brain
youtube.com/watch?v=8F2RdTly17I
youtube.com/watch?v=I6s-n6AxeJI
niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where the fuck do I find salt substitute to get my potassium?

I am 36 hours into my first fast and it fucking hurts. Am I doing something wrong?

I still would like a comment about this.

there's a thing in the grocery store near the real salt called "no salt" or "low salt" That has potassium salts in it

I looked, my local grocery store doesn’t carry it. I guess I’ll go back to look again.

I get mine at Walmart

>There are people here who eat
When are you going to realize food is a Jewish trick?

Not terribly vital if it's only been a day or two, but you'll need to supp electrolytes if you're planning on going longer.

>not breaking your fast with Matzo balls

>When are you going to realize food is a Jewish trick?

Fasting was a lot more common pre-WW2 before the Jews took over. Jews run the pharmaceutical industry and one of the primary exports of Israel is vaccines and medicine. Nearly every religion encourages fasting and Jews are the primary critics of religious traditions. Fasting is super common in the muslim world, the buddhist world and the oldschool christian world. Guess where fasting is uncommon? In areas where Jews control the media and the banks IE the West.

Forgive my ignorance but what do electrolytes actually do for your body?

Fuck off back to /pol/

allow electricity to flow through your nerves so that every single one of your muscles and organs can contract properly, keeping you alive and happy :)

>Forgive my ignorance but what do electrolytes actually do for your body?

Electrolytes are chemicals that form ions in body fluids. They help make sure specific bodily functions run at optimal levels. Too few electrolytes will cause the body to cramp. As serious athletes know, cramping can make a big difference on race day. So how do we prevent cramping and keep our body running at its peak performance levels? We keep it supplied with the needed amount of electrolytes.

Proper fueling during exercise requires more than replenishing calories and fluids; it involves consistent and adequate electrolyte support as well. Electrolyte needs vary much more than either caloric or hydration needs, so you will have to experiment quite a bit in training until you have this aspect of your fueling tailored to your specific requirements under various conditions.

Electrolytes are analogous to the motor oil in your car—they don’t make the engine run, but they’re absolutely necessary to keep everything running smoothly. Proper functioning of the digestive, nervous, cardiac, and muscular systems depends on adequate electrolyte levels.

Muscle cramping, though there are many theories as to why it happens, usually involves improper hydration and/or improper electrolyte replenishment. No one wants to cramp, of course, but remember, cramping is a place far down the road of electrolyte depletion. Cramping is your body’s painful way of saying, “Hey! I’m on empty! Resupply me now or I’m going to stop!” It’s like the oil light on the dash; you never want it to get that low.

That’s precisely why you shouldn't wait for cramps to remind you to take electrolytes. Just as you shouldn’t wait until you bonk before you refuel, or you’re dehydrated before you replenish fluids, your regime should always include these essentials.

Fuck off kike

I'm sorry but he's right, 3MAD and Western food in general, while delicious, it's 100% a jewish controlled and manufactured scam to make us fat and them rich

there's a reason subsistence farming died

Fuck off back to Israel

>Fuck off kike

Not wanting race games within a /fast/ thread =/= sucking jew cock.

There is a time and a place for jew hatred and that place is /pol/, not here.

Personally I don't know any jews, them not being very common where I live in Perth, Scotland or my winter home in Penang, Malaysia, so their you go.

jews and their Western sympathizers (goyim CEOs and investors basically) run the world, including agriculture and medicine and the distribution of those products.

you may not realize it, but every day you dont eat is a day you DONT put money in their pocket.

and (((they))) hate you for not buying.

Eat shit you old kike

>51 years old and hasn't figured out how the world works
Typical Boomer

>Western food in general
Don't forget Big Pharma

Best part about fasting? No matter how broke you are you eat so rarely than you can always afford the best meals.

With fasting I can always afford that rib eye steak or that fresh salmon or organic vegetables.

yup, i mean literally every business in the West is owned financed and designed by rich fuckers who will do anything to get your money and trick you into thinking they're helping you

make sure you get your 3 meals a day to be strong and healthy! make sure you have continuous health insurance, so you can pay us your entire life before our diet makes you sick!

DRINK
MORE
WATER

The first answer to every question during a fast is "drink more water". You are not drinking enough water, even if you think you are. Seriously. This is even more important if your day job is of the physical variety and not behind a desk.

I'm doing OMAW like the 165hr namefag. Currently drinking 5L of water and 1L of snake juice a day, and I STILL wake up parched every morning.

More water. Fucking drink it. If you aren't pissing every ~2 hours you're doing it wrong. Yes it's annoying. Yes it's important.

dry fasting master race

I've done enough research to feel pretty damn secure about water fasting for certain durations with certain goals in mind.

I've not yet done that for dry fasting, because going a single day without any water is utterly fucking miserable and takes another day to recover from.

We're built to survive without food intake for a good while. The same is not true of water.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Checked! Noice numbers bro!

On the matter of dry fasting, yes I agree with what you are saying, but when you are reaching the limits of what water fasting can deliver (getting to beneath 10% body fat or getting rid of excess skin) then doing periodic 48hr dry fasts is often the only way to achieve this without resulting to ridiculous levels of physical exertion.

Yeah no 1 L of snake potion is all you need. Also use a good mineral water not tap.

Can you explain to this newfag how water fasting helps rid excess skin or reduce body fat?

>how water fasting helps rid excess skin
It doesn't. As I've said, that is best done with a regular cycle of 48hr dry fasts.

>how water fasting helps reduce body fat?
By taking in no food at all you force the body to live on its reserves of fat (which is the whole reason for storing fat in the first place), the body is reluctant to do this and will always take other sources of food / energy in preference to using stored fat. Fasting is the only way of achieving this, just eating less (even very small amounts) does not achieve this and is in actual fact counter productive.

Now that I've said all of that, why don't you follow the links in the OP's post and get educated?

What does snake juice actually do?

>bodyfat
Your body needs energy, in the form of calories, to survive. Normally, if you give it food, it will consume these calories first for energy. If you don't, it will consume the fat stored all over your body instead as energy. If you have 30lbs of fat, that's about 1-3 months of food for it to run through.

>excess skin
Additionally, the body needs protein specifically for the repair of your internal organs that keep you alive. So like, your heart beats, your lungs breathe. This work that they are doing damages the muscle tissues that exist in your organs. Your body, when it's fasting, will consume your dead skin and excess skeletal muscle, so that it can use those protein fibers to repair your vital organs.

and this isn't conspiracy shit ahha, people literally have won nobel prizes for this

>What does snake juice actually do?
Ketosis is a very thirsty process, plus you're not getting any water from food during fasting as you would normally do, so you need to drink lots of water during a water fast, at least 1.5-2 litres per day in addition to snake juice.

Unfortunately the consumption of significant amounts of water washes away the essential electrolytes (primarily sodium and potassium) that your body needs to repair itself, particularly during autophagy.

Snake juice replaces these lost electrolytes.

gives you the electrolytes and hydration you need during life so you dont die

I'm pro-fasting, and believe it's more effective than caloric restriction, but saying caloric restriction doesn't reduce body fat is the most retarded thing I've seen in a while

Makes headaches and muscle cramps go away.

if you eat a 500 calorie deficit, per day, for a month, but you are eating 10-12 meals per day, I GUARANTEE you will not lose weight.

insulin is a bitch, bro. read up.

>saying caloric restriction doesn't reduce body fat is the most retarded thing I've seen in a while

You're reading shit that ain't there and I don't believe that to be the case as I've said previously.

The problem with caloric restriction instead of fasting is that it has massive side effects and is only temporary since numerous scientific studies have shown that the metabolic rate decreases significantly and the weight that is lost is gradually regained and then some.

This, slows your metabolism down. And if or when you return to eating normally you get heavier eating at your old maintenance calories.

You are completely wrong unless you're sleep-eating.

I agree that it crashes metabolism and you will likely gain the weight back, but you will still lose fat.

"By taking in no food at all you force the body to live on its reserves of fat...Fasting is the only way of achieving this, just eating less (even very small amounts) does not achieve this and is in actual fact counter productive."

Does anyone have an information on the effects longer fasts (7+ days) have on muscle loss? The study in OP's post is about IF not longer water fasts.

Oh damn, I meant to ask how

>dry fasts

rid of excess skin and body fat.

ok let me tell you my understanding of the facts

you eat food. your insulin spikes. period. your body goes from FAT BURNING, to FAT CREATING mode instantly. and it will stay there, for up to 3 hours, EVERY TIME you eat food.

So if you are eating from 8am to 11pm, your insulin will be spiked until 2am. You will only be burning your body's energy for 6 hours per day, and almost of that energy will come from your liver glycogen, not bodyfat.

Try it. you'll see mate

Nobody gives a flying fuck about your bullshit pedantry.

my response to you is correct

you lose a maximum of a few ounces of muscle per day, most of it from your legs (glutes and hamstrings)

There's no fucking muscle loss as long as you're fat. Your body will keep burning fat until it has none left, only then will it eat muscle.

If you're 500 pounds you can literally go MONTHS without eating.

I have tried it, I did 120 hours last week, and I endorse it as a superior means of fat loss as compared to caloric restriction.

I just think the people in these threads often overstate the comparative benefits of fasting, e.g. saying you can't lose fat with caloric restriction.

Lol, somebody doesn't like being called out on their bullshit.

Namefags, when will they ever learn?

>dietdoctor.com/fasting-affect-brain
>From an evolutionary standpoint, mammals respond to severe caloric deprivation with a reduction in the size of all organs with two prominent exceptions – the brain and the male testicles.
b-but what about benis

it's a pain in the ass to lose fat on CICO but its possible, i can concede that.

but i have a very strong opinion, confirmed by my own bodily experimentation for 4 months in this thread, that all weight loss is hormonal first, and calories second

fasting improves your circulation so much that you'll be walking around with unwanted benis boner all day

Anyone else experience charisma gains? I'm normally autistic but I just held court in my tutorial

And that's a good thing because the first cells that get eaten up are the bad ones. When you fast for a very long time your old ass useless cells literally get broken down and only the fit survive. Then when you refeed they get rebuilt new and strong.

Fasting is a fucking miracle and it's probably some NWO conspiracy that has kept it so obscure.

i've been living in rural Chile for a few months and I can confirm that the rural chilenos eat OMAD and are fit af-

the westernized chilenos are fat as a house

you are probably not yet in ketosis (burning fat as a main source of energy). once youre ketotic you may feel lathargic but should feel fine otherwise. try taking a *brisk* walk for an hour or two to help burn glycogen and mobilize fat to get into ketosis faster. i've done a few fasts and this works well. if your in serious pain you may want to abort.

Two more days and I will have completed my first 7 day fast. Gonna refeed for my anniversary, then back to the old grind.

At 15%bf how long am I looking at water fasting to get to 8%?

youtube.com/watch?v=8F2RdTly17I

New snake man

youtube.com/watch?v=I6s-n6AxeJI

is he a homo?

Probably not. Does it matter, though?

>people are unironically worshiping this guy
god he talks like a retard

Lads

I ate 2 hrs preworkout. Do I have to eat post?

Feel like my body is still digesting the eggs and rice and it'll contribute to recovery

kek you sound like one of those dumb soccer moms in his comments that say he swears too much

he is trying way to hard to appear interesting

yes and no. In regards to his information no, in regards to his character, yes.

He is half african-american. His dads side of the family is pitch black. That probably explains the yelling and shit.

Is it normal to be very dizzy during a fast?

I felt pretty good on my fifth day and wanted to go to the gym. I walk there and when I was going up the stairs I thought I was gonna faint. Ended up just catching my breath and going down again and home.

Is it a lack of snake juice or is this just how it is?

most likely lack of electrolytes

Anyone else have trouble falling asleep? Too much energy to sleep but too little to go on a run. End of fast day 3/7

I find myself less tired at night, but far more wiped out in the morning if I didn't get a solid ~7hr

>Anyone else have trouble falling asleep? Too much energy to sleep but too little to go on a run. End of fast day 3/7

Yes, it's a problem for me. Forcing myself to go to bed doesn't work as I just lie there wide awake. Usually begin getting tired around 1:30hrs and hit the sack then but by 06:30hrs I'm wide awake again.

Not great, but I can live with it for another few months that it will take to reach my goal weight.

Jews invented long term fasting you tard.
The only reason muslims fast is because when Mohammed entered medina and saw them fasting he copied them.

Yes you retard he's not saying Jew's don't know about the benefits, obviously they do, he's saying the Jews who own all the food and medicine industries don't want goym to fast and kill their profits.

Original Christians were ALL Essene Jews until st paul whitewashed Judiasm and rid it of its traditions to make it more appealing to non jews.
and Muslims only fast because of Jews

>Fasting on Muharram 10, known as the Day of 'Ashura', expiates for the sins of the past year. When the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) arrived in Madinah in 622 CE, he found that the Jews there fasted on Muharram 10 and asked them the reason for their fasting on this day. They said," This is a blessed day. On this day Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy (in Egypt) and so Prophet Musa [Moses] fasted on this day giving thanks to Allah."

It has been the complete opposite for me. I have always had problems falling asleep because I was never tired in the evening. But during fast I am getting very sleepy two hours before it is even bedtime. I hope it's because my hormones are stabilizing or some shit because getting a regular day-night cycle is something I can only dream about. No pun intended.

The most obese people aren't even in the western world you tards. Stop trying to blame jews for your own failures.

>25%

Is that a fucking joke? Real US obesity is like 70% minimum

IMPLYING GULF OIL STATES AND MEXICO DON'T CONSUME WESTERN PRODUCTS

KYS YOURSELF

it's around 30 percent for men and women now

you might be thinking of overweight, instead of obese

overweight is easily 70%. morbidly obese is growing, but probably about 30%. it's like the difference between boogie and jayztwocents

>Jews invented longterm fasting

Every religion practice it, pretty much. The ancient greeks did it. Hippocrates, Plato and Aristotle did it. The ancient Indians did it. Buddha did it. The ancient egyptians did it.

>It is known that Pythagoras (580-500 years. BC), Greek philosopher and mathematician, founder of the famous school of philosophy, systematically starved for 40 days, believing that it increases the mental perception and creativity. He demanded strict 40-day fast on water alone from each of his numerous disciples and followers.

>57% of libyan women are overweight
Please donate now. Every dollar counts. A starving refugee needs your help. Don't wait, call now.

Yet for the past century all the mainstream "science" has preached the 6 meal a day bullshit which is not only wrong and unhealthy, it's the complete opposite of what you should be doing (OMAD).

Kinda hard to not suspect foul intent when they not only get it wrong, but completely wrong. Also going against the well established wisdom of thousands of years of experience.

And conveniently their bullshit advice is exactly what benefits the food and health industries who first make money off getting you fat and then make money off selling you meds. Makes you think. These kind of things should redpill a man with regards to many things that are blindly believed as true today because some "authority" said so.

>Is that a fucking joke? Real US obesity is like 70% minimum

Got to say that the US government's own statistical research does show a higher figure, but again it depends how you differentiate between overweight, obese and grossly obese.

niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity

Overweight or Obesity 70.2%
Overweight 32.5%
Obesity 37.7%
Extreme obesity 7.7%

Also you notice some great fat fuck when they are waddling or more likely "disabled carting" their diabetus around Walmart. You don't notice the vast number of healthy or only overweight people as much.

What's better /fast/ - ADF with a 1200 calorie lunch every 2 days or 600 calorie OMAD?

whatever you can follow

According to snakeman, if you are going to eat at a caloric deficit, then you might as well just waterfast on snake juice.

Do intermittent fasters just eat like 3000 cals within an your? Do u still try to eat a gram of protein per lb of your bodyweight?

>It doesn't.

Yes it does.

those poor kids, they're doomed

yes

imagine getting that lady in a pink shirt and putting her into a prison compound with no food but only water and supplements until she lost all the weight, and then dry fasting in a cell for 3 days.

This is basically my OMAD portion and always end up not eating 50-75 percent of the rice i put on my plate . I always just use 1-2 scoops of protein depending on how i feel.

after you lose your weight through fasting and get to a good weight, are you supposed to then do OMAD?

I like the fish. Yummy!

she would scream and shout for months that she cant do it

he currently recommends ADF, alternate day fasting, aka OME2D, one meal every 2 days