Replacements for squats

I did my first day for the Rippetoes starting strength work out and it went pretty well. However, I can't do squats because I've had bad knees for a few years now (16 when it started, 19 now).

I was wondering if there are good "replacements" for squats that would be less taxing.

Other urls found in this thread:

sportskneetherapy.com/the-best-vmo-exercises/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>bad knees meme

Do lighter squats, there is no replacement for squats

keep squatting. You have "bad knees" because you're a weak faggot.

You didn't read the book, did you?

there are no replacement for squats, and you certainly can't do SS without squats.

also, you can do squats.

saged

you only have "bad knees" if you actually actually had an injury before, Squats are actually good for the knee, but most people don't warm up properly before squats and fuck them up

the only problem i've ever had because of my knees are due to improper warm up or going way too deep (not doing ATG properly)

While I haven't had a clear injury, I know that feeling a sharp pain in my right knee is not right, and I feel this sharp pain when i do things even as simple as going up a flight of stairs.

And no I'm not over weight, I'm 5'6" and weigh around 145lbs

Is there a replacement for bench? I really think I'm gonna fuck up my shoulder every time I go past 1pl8 and I feel like lifting the same weight every time is a waste

Of course you can replace squats with something else, just be prepared to do more exercises to Target muscles the squat would hit all at once. Veeky Forums really is braindead when it comes to it's obsession with squats, as if doing other leg exercises aren't going to build leg muscles

Fucking retards, seriously

There's no better exercise for your legs than squats, isolation doesn't even come close to compensating.

I think I'll trust Dorian Yates who built legs without squats over your opinion

dips

>I think I'll trust steroids over Veeky Forums

it's a tough one

You're retarded.

You guys are worse than /r/fitness

Hmmm can I build legs with leg presses, Romanians, stiff legs, hack squats, deadlifts, hipthrusts, leg extensions, lying curls, calf exercises, or lunges????? No????? It can only be done with squats???????? Simply epic my friends :)

Edit: thanks for the gold, stranger!

Dorian didn't use squats while taking high cycles of steroids during his career as a bodybuilder, no.
But when he first started out of course he used them. He showed his notebook on London Real's Inside The Shadow and he had numerous workouts listed that showed him squatting well over 350lbs as a teenager

Hey can all of you guys advocating for squats post legs? Just want to make sure you guys aren't blatantly bullshitting as you should have the evidence to back it up

Squats are a main component of restoring knee strength
Start with box squats so you get used to sitting back

>bad knees
>19
>doesn't play sports
lol right, pussy.

Squats are a waste of time. Just focus your time on upper body exercises for functional strength purposes. You use your upper body much more often than your legs when performing every day tasks.

Tendonitis.

Did marching band for 8 years, not a sport but definitely wan't a couch potato cuck.

You are weak.
I recommend squats.

Why is everyone in marching band either fat or skinny fat?

I've thought this for sure but there are no doctors within a 40 mile radius of which take my health insurance so I haven't been able to see on and find out for sure.

Because only unatheletic fags that weren't good enough to play sports played in the band.

>ever doing squats
Enjoy losing height.

I had tendinitis in both knees, was almost to the point of tendinosis in the left, due to mal-tracking patellas in both knees. My advice would be for you to look up some VMO exercises and incorporate them into your day/training. I did unilateral isometric contractions, then 3/4 ROM unilateral leg extensions with my toes pointing out a little bit, then unilateral pistol squats to a box, and am now finally barbell squatting after 9ish months of no squats at all. I also couldn't run or jog during that time but can now. Check out this article and try some VMO work.

sportskneetherapy.com/the-best-vmo-exercises/

Don't listen to anyone that tells you to suck it up and squat, but also don't listen to anyone that tells you to not work that movement at all. Try leg extensions, leg press, box squats, lunges, unilateral work with a machine or box, or just sit on the floor and do contractions. Find a way to train the movement/muscles that doesn't hurt. If everything hurts, find a ride to the doctor, man. One note about isometric contractions is that you should do a fuckton of them. While you're walking, while you're sitting at the computer or laying down. The physical therapist told me to aim for 1000 a day. Obviously you wouldn't count that many, but just flex the fuck out of your VMOs.

Wow thank you for the help man, definitely gonna look into this.

this is wrong on so many levels

Is it chronic though? i mean, do you feel it eveytime you flex your legs or just after training legs?

you either have tendonitis or your knees are inflamed as fuck

Fish oils help me recovering from heavy squating, it also takes a while to recover if i go really heavy and fuck up on form

So, I don't feel it whenever I flex my legs, but whenever I run, perform any cardio besides swimming, or just go up a steep-ish hill/stairs my knees are usually in pain. Some days they just feel really weak, and I have to take it pretty slow.

How is that?

Incline bench press

>tfw people still think squats is knee movement

Do dumbbell bench for a while. You'll strengthen the shit out of your stabilizers plus better symmetry. Come back to regular bench and be shocked at your newfound strength

He only stopped doing them when he needed to stay healthy for the Olympia, phaggot. You aren't an olympia level competitor and should probably be squatting.

don't expect anyone here to tell you anything but "hurr durr squat anyway poosae"

without knowing what is actually wrong with your knee, nobody can tell you if you should be squatting or not, go see a physio that works with lifters/athletes

wait you don't bend your knees when your squat?

>your knees are inflamed as fuck
Not him, but I did an awful squat that slightly hurt me knee and caused it to apparently inflame.
So I would also like to avoid squats, since I have a fucked knee.
It's not a sharp pain, but is an annoying kind of thing in my knee.

>10 exercises

You're a real genius. You can also use chopsticks to eat your oats instead of a spoon.

he gave a list of 10 to choose from

open chain or not, any exercise you engage in to strengthen your legs will put stress on your knees. just squat and strengthen your leggies bro

Sauce?

when i started doing squats my skelly knees made a lot of crackling and felt like i could break in any minute.
you have to keep doing them with a good form

10 exercises you could do vs 1 that hurts you and are reluctant to do
what is more efficient? the choice you are more likely to do?

you don't have to do 10 exercises to replace squats from an aesthetic standpoint, let's not be fucking stupid here

you need a hip hinge movement like a deadlift or an RDL, and a (primarily) knee extension movement like a squat, front squat, leg press, hip belt squat, machine hack squat

as long as you have both of those things you'll be ok, you may not get the athletic benefits of having a bar on your back (squat teaches you how to transfer force from legs to a load on top of you) but from a pure size standpoint there will be no real difference

Don't run or exercise it without proper warmup
By warmup it means at least 5-10min of DYNAMIC STRETH not Static Stretch
Google it, it does work, if you keep pushing your knees doing cardio you ain't gonna improve, you need to strenghten all your leg muscles and running wont help

FISH OIL EVERYDAY
Heaps of it, it does reduces inflamation, also, dynamic stretching before squating, full range of motion and youll be fine even if your knees were hurting before, if you squat properly and with your quads activated it will reduce pressure on the knees

Mia Malkova