Redpill me on the rowing machine

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My gym doesn't have any

I have no idea how they work

They are great if the machine has been maintained (Concept 2 is industry standard), you have them on the correct setting to be comparable to water (most people just turn it up to max, which is wrong), and you have correct form.
Prettymuch no one does though unless they have been taught how to row properly.

>you have them on the correct setting to be comparable to water

>actually learning how to row

I just want muscles dipshit

The fish game that comes on every rowing machine has gotten me through more gym days than I can count.

>rowing

Those legs

My gym has four. I use one.

>not using four at once
CMON

That fish game is a stroke of genius

those wrists

>every day is upper body day

Fish game? Mine just has a distance count down or a timer.

Have I been scammed???

>try the full body workout, user

The setting is only for resistance to move. Rowing at a fast pace on a low setting and a fast pace on a high setting changes nothing but the first two strokes.

What's the right resistance level? I usually set it to 7

great way to build rear delts and back in general. GF did crew in highschool, we're 27 now and she's still got a great back even though she's completely dyel now.

>he's 5'5"

>roiding

I use it as a brief warm up before lifting

Rowing on the floor is a huge pain in the ass

Rowing rules. Great for cardio or HIIT.

Correct technique is important to get the benefits, but concept2 has pretty good tutorial videos. The biggest error I see people make is pulling with their arms instead of pushing with their legs, and flopping their back around instead of keeping good posture.

cosigned. rowing a good.

I fucked myself up on one hitting 180k meters in some stupid 30 day challenge. Don't do that.

>crossfit
Never once

This post is for anyone who wants to know what kind of resistance you should be going for:

The resistance settings that you adjust with the lever on the side of a Concept 2 rower change with how worn/in need of maintenance the machine is. To get your actual resistance or ‘drag factor’, go from the main menu to ‘more options’ then ‘display drag factor’. Then take a few normal strokes until a number is displayed. For an openweight man, the drag factor should be around 135, for women it’s around 120-125. You can adjust drag factor with the slider on the side of the machine as normal.

>6k a day

I mean, maybe don't make that your first foray into rowing and listen to your body and all that, but that's like an easy 25-30 minutes every morning.

good post!

Not trying to beat greek world records

They're great for warming up before you start your workout with some nice, heavy sets of 5 low-bar back squats.

Its kayaking you dipshits

>his gym doesn't have kayak machines

Will try that next time never knew about that

just started low bar squatting. no bruising on my back. way more comfortable.

I've actually rowed for four years. For an erg (what the rowing machine is actually called) 3-5 is the right resistance for water. Start with your arms extended, legs bent, and back bent forward but straightened. To take a stroke extend your legs completely, then bend your back from 15-20 degrees forward to 15-20 degrees backward, and then pull your arms in, make it three distinct and separate movements. Then do the same process in reverse: arms out, back forward, legs compressed. Keep the handle level the entire time. The handle should not pass between your knees and chest until your knees are totally straight. Make sure you have good back and shoulder posture the whole time.

tl;dr just do it like this youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8