/fast/#114 - They aren't bringing their best edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Fast
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

we've gone full meta and completely down the shitter
at least the OP is good

Thank you
I like this idea, lets just screencap all the stupid shit innawoods says.

OP you mis coppied one of the videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

Entering my first 72 hour fast. Should I be worried?

On my first day of intermittent fasting. I'm eating from noon till 6 and sticking to a high fat, high protein diet. I'm still planning on doing about 30 minutes of cardio every day. Hopefully I'll be able to lose 2-3 lbs a week.

In on first page

So you on hour 72 or just planning to go for 72 hours? Either way just drink snakejuice and it probably will be ok.

based

Oh shit I made a thread and I guess it got deleted because this one is up.

Anyhow

>third day of fast
>longest fast I've done is four days
>have been rehydrating and taking my min mins
>night of day 2 was horrible, almost break my fast
>today I feel better but I still get tunnel vision and dizziness if I stand up too fast
>went for a run today and whenever I pushed myself I felt this dull discomfort, almost as if there was a vacuum around my esophageal sphincter.

Any idea of what could it be?

Also, can I drink yerba mate on a fast?

Curious if anyone has tips for fasting mouth. My tounge is so ew.

I'm 24 hours into 72. I normally do 48 and they're already tough.

>My tounge is so ew.
Brush it?
How many days are you on?

Drinking yerba mate should be fine. If tea and coffee are ok then so should yerba.

I do that like three times a day.
It's like every fast at 48hr+ I get this shitty taste in my mouth and my urine smells like a chemical factory.
I mean, probably the only cons of the process so I can just toughen up.

>I get this shitty taste in my mouth
Bitter? That just means you're in ketosis. There's not really anything you can do about it, sorry lad.

Can't really tell you anything more. You get better at fasting the more you do it. When I started I felt like dying the first 24 hour fast, then after 3 months of on and off I would do 24-48 hour fasts accidentally. It's a lot of what you're used to and not that much actual bodily limits. I'm atm on day 10 of a longer fast and no problems have risen as I drink my snek and I've done it for a pretty long time.

Scrub that shit off. Tongue hygiene in general is pretty overlooked and it gets way grosser on a fast. Don't use a brush though, use a specific tongue scraper or a tea spoon if you're in a pinch.

Okay, you gotta explain to me how tf your body can remain anabolic if you're not putting anything into your body that new muscle tissue could be made out of.

>tf your body can remain anabolic
I dont think anyone said it could

Body prioritizes eating fat tissue way over muscle tissue in ketosis, not much more to it.

Rate routine please
>IF Monday, Wednesday and friday ( eating window 4-5 hours). The only two meals are eaten between 6pm to 9pm : first one for pre workout; second one for post workout. Also taking account CICO aiming for a restricted intake.
> 24 fast on Tuesday and Thursday, and some days Saturday (depending on socials events).
On sunday my last meal is consumed at 2pm, after that fast until Monday.

Also big question I have right now
>what happens between the moment you deplete your glucose and the moment your start producing ketones? Does it start immediately or the body starts with the gluconeogenesis process?

sup /fast/ im a 19yo and ive fasted before but never for more than 2-3 days
now the sad part is im a manlet at 5'9, and all of my (tall) friends and family say that fasting will make me shorter or stop my growing
is there any truth to this?

Don't fucl your last year's of development. I'm not.saying that it would fuvk your shit up, but I think there's not enough evidence about teenagers and your family adults doing fast and the consequences. I would go try to go into ketosis, and I would train a lot.

I've fallen off the wagon, getting back on it today with a 21 hour OMAD fast. I really think I developed a sugar addiction, I binged on bread and jam yesterday and it's like it was an actual compulsion, never had that happen before. Today's been rough, super scatter brained, had to take an ephedrine just now so I can focus and get some work done.

I'm not even a fatass, I think I got hooked on the shug because I loosened up my eating window for bulking and then it just slackening. Never again, don't be like me after you get lean.

At 19 you are very likely done growing taller, I wouldn't worry about it.

We're fucked, user. I will do OMAD until complete 23 years old.

First time fasting here and I have a couple of questions.
Does BCAA break a fast, and does it matter if I haven't entered ketosis yet? (last meal was a can of tuna in water 18 hours ago)
Some people say yes, others say no, and a third group says it causes an insulin spike but that it drops off fast because there's no accompanying glucose, and that it wouldn't inhibit ketosis.

Potassium is a controlled substance in this country, I would need a script. Is it okay to do a 7 day fast without?

Just like old Veeky Forums

I'm a trad Catholic and gonna do a Black Fast. can anyone give me some general advice? Apologies if this is vague

Does tea spike insulin?

Text in OP

That's staying the same, not anabolic.

>Text in OP
Where? be specific cause i want to see it

What is black fast?

>Potassium is a controlled substance in this country
Wtf hell hole and why?

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Not losing muscle is one thing, being anabolic another. You don't even "not lose muscle" per se, your body will eat a bit of it on a fast to meet essential amino acid needs. It's not a lot though as long as you're not an idiot about the fasting.

shadow the hedgehog

If I drink coffee will that break my fast?

Norway, don't ask me why.

>This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.
This is not true. Let me clear something up, im the veteran here. I post every thread and am on the side of fasting but your body is not anabolic while you fast.
no

>country that alllowes psychologists to approve assisted suicide purely for psychological conditions in otherwise healthy people
>cant let people have potasium though

Please tell me switzerland is better because i might move there for the work/life balance

will bcaa break fast?

Read the OP links and youll know

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Fast

like suicide mode

There's no mention of bcaa in any of the OP links.

I wouldn't do long fasts before turning 21yo, I'd go for intermittent fasting instead. If you're fat, try IF 23/1 aka OMAD; if not, try IF 18/6 or 20/4.

You know, the long fasting health benefits for adults are evident but this hasn't been extensively studied, specially in growing subjects. You can fix yourself with IF / OMAD, no need for long fasts at this age.

BCAAs are generally acknowledged to not break fast, but they also don't do much of anything. Moot point. Just fast, my dude.

You'll probably be fine without potassium for now, that's more of a concern in summer (especially in hot climates).

>eating once a day
>Suicide mode
woaaaaaaaah dude. Fucking crazy right?! How can you live on only one meal a day!? Imagine only eating vegetables for a month! Fucking crazy right? You're insane! I'm afraid I'm going to have to call an ambulance before you hurt yourself user!

Did you read about autophagy? You didnt. Autophagy speeds up when mtor stops and glucagon starts circulating. Guess what shuts that down? Amino Acids. 100% no bcaas.
>BCAAs are generally acknowledged to not break fast
This is 100% wrong, dont post here and give advice until youre no longer a retard.

Switzerland is unironically one of the best countries in Europe. They don't like immigrants though, so don't bother unless you have a good education to bring.

Alright, just ended my first fast.
6 days on water and snake juice
24 hours dry (weighed at end of dryfast, dropped about 10lbs)
1 hour refeed on 3399 calories.
Back to fasting now. This time for 10 days (9wet, 1dry)

It was actually the only link in OP i fully read (before posting the question).
Would I be correct in assuming then, that bcaa stops autophagy, but does not inhibit ketosis? There's some calories there, but no carbs, I would assume an insulin spike would go down straight away since there's no blood sugar rise, and that the body would resume burning fat and glycogen stores.
Thank you for babby feeding, it is appreciated.

>Dr. Curtis Ward teaches that the Black Fast should never extend beyond three days because of ketosis, possible kidney damage, and dehydration
>listing ketosis as a bad thing

Is there something I don't know? And where does the kidney damage come from?

>that bcaa stops autophagy, but does not inhibit ketosis?
To the best of my knowledge yes, howevere, you need to realize theres no reason for bcaas no matter what. Fast when you fast, eat when you eat.

>where does the kidney damage come from?
dehydration

It looks like its pure carbs. Worst idea possible. Its just fucking bread.

But it's not 100% wrong. A small, transient rise in insulin without a blood sugar elevation can be triggered by acute psychological stress, would that too not inhibit autophagy, at least for a time? Autophagy is not fasting, do not conflate the two.

I have no idea how you're getting all those symptoms. Usually I'll feel hungry on the first day, but afterwards all I'll be getting is a "want to eat" sort of feeling, which can easily be suppressed.

How's your diet outside of fasting? Perhaps you're missing some nutrients and your diet, while shitty, is enough to keep you going, but while fasting you just have to go with reserves that are simply not there.

>Its just fucking bread.
>what are vegetables?

>Autophagy is not fasting, do not conflate the two.
Ok youre correct, but what is fasting? The goal is to lower insulin, not just get you into ketosis. BCAAs will definitely cause an insulin spike dude.

>quotes me to insult me
and the best part is that what I said ISN'T WRONG

LOL

HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT KNOW WHAT "ANABOLIC" MEANS

HERES THE FUCKING DEFINITION: "the synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism."

CONSTRUCTIVE. BUILDING UP OF ALL, THREE, FUCKING MACRONUTRIENTS- CARBS, FAT, AND MUSCLE

DNP IS CATABOLIC. CLEN IS CATABOLIC. THEY ARE NOT ANABOLIC STEROIDS. IF YOU LOSE WEIGHT ON DNP AND CLEN AND BECOME MORE LEAN, YOU ARE NOT TAKING ANABOLIC FUCKING STEROIDS

TREN IS ANABOLIC. YOU GAIN MUSCLE, ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF WATER AND SOME FAT AND GLYCOGEN.

LET ME ASK YOU- DOES A BODY BUILDER LOOK LEAN 12 WEEKS BEFORE A COMPETITION DOING TREN?

NO, HE FUCKING DOESNT

>During Holy Week, the meal consisted exclusively of bread, salt, herbs, and water
>what is learning to read

>herbs
>what are vegetables?

>you need to realize theres no reason for bcaas no matter what.
I read about bcaa's a few weeks ago for the first time, with some dude saying he used them during fasting as a zero-calorie supplement Around the same time I saw bcaa on sale where I buy my whey brotein, so I got some for my upcoming cut.
I did lick off my fork after mixing, but I'll refrain from drinking it, thanks for providing a reasoned argument rather than a blank "yes/no".

Are you seriously saying herbs and vegetables are the same thing? please god no

Just save them. youre "cut" will be much faster than usual.

Depends if you're using 'herb' culinary or botanically.

In common usage. When people say herbs they mean rosemary not broccoli and you damn well know it.

Buckwheat is an herb.

It turns out, no, no it is not.

My point is that a standard serving of BCAAs is on par with getting a flat tire on the freeway for your insulin. It's not good for you hormonally, but it also doesn't resemble a fed state. It's a matter of degrees, anyway: for example, would a piece of gum with 1g xylitol be better or worse for your fast than getting that flat tire? Probably better, the insulin rise might not even be detectable if you chewed it slowly enough.

I'll agree that keeping insulin low is part of anyone's definition of fasting; and nobody should take BCAAs because they're a waste of money, and probably shouldn't chew gum (regularly) because it interferes with autophagy.

I think you need a new keyboard. Your caps lock seems to be stuffed.

Why does the fasting general always devolve into shitfighting?

innawoods is mentally ill and most people here havent done the required reading.

Why are you even /fast/, innawoods? Im not trying to be a dick but it seems like youre already at a very low weight.

been doing 16/8 fasting for a week and don’t really feel any different.

16/8 isn't fasting, it's skipping breakfast.

Different user
I'm the same age, but just a skinnyfat skeleton that gets a lot of exercise walking for several hours a day (push carts at Walmart), is strict OMAD the way to do it, and not straight fasting? I'm on about day two right now.

The problem with OMAD is that I will binge hard on that last meal, or eat snacks

Also is ephedrine and caffeine relatively safe? I take caffeine everyday, so it'd just be a matter of getting ephedrine.

retarded no-lifters clashing with fatties clashing with frauds

So, Ive been doing 3-5 day water fasts once a month since October. Got into a good routine for it, losing weight more reliably than dieting ever did, though the holiday months didnt lose much.

But im curious: Ive heard that Yohimbine helps burn fat and works better while in a fasted state. Would taking Yohimbine during a water fast be adviseable? If so, what kind of results should I be looking for?

Beacuse Fasting makes people gay. Thats the secondary effect.

Also pls respond :(

Day 6 of hopefully 30 here, im kinda concerned about coming off this ride. I have a general idea of how youre
Supposed to break an extended fasting period but I dont want to fuck something up. Im thinking of breaking it with just broth and low sugar juices for the first day and slowly introducing solid fruit and vegetables (possibly yogurts?) around day 2 or 3. Any advice appreciated

Sup bros. 14th day of my water fast. I feel great, some days I'm a little groggy until the afternoon but it's usually fine so I'm gonna see how far I can fast. I at least have another week in me. Drinking around 1-2 gallons of water a day to feel fuller, but pissing every 20 minutes is a bitch. I've dropped 22lbs, starting weight 225lbs. And I'm a guy who fucking loves snacking and eating shit late at night so if I can do it, you can do it too. You'll get through it bros, no matter what fast you're on, you fucking got this.

Watermelon and the likes are pretty good for breaking a fast

>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
What happens if I don't do this?

>>what happens between the moment you deplete your glucose and the moment your start producing ketones? Does it start immediately or the body starts with the gluconeogenesis process?

It's a continuum, there's no "moment." You start upregulating ketone production when you're low on glycogen and start gluconeogenesis sometime after total depletion, how smooth the transition goes depends on how well adapted you are, which is both genetic and epigenetic (how much have you done it before). Biological systems are complex and analog, not reductive and digital, it's best just to find what works and leave the details to the lab rats.

Your routine looks fine, btw. Got a lot to lose?

Should read *before* total depletion, guess it's just about tea time.

Youll feel like shit. Fatigue, cramps, headaches, hunger pangs, etc

>today I feel better but I still get tunnel vision and dizziness if I stand up too fast
>can I drink my caffeine
Nice caffeine addiction idiot, try staying away from that for a while and then start fasting. That way you can't blame your caffeine withdrawal symptoms on fasting.

T. Guy who used to drink 2 litres of coke a day

Why is it that some days I lose like 0.2 kg while others I lose over a kg? Is there a way to stay more consistent?

How will caffeine affect my fast?

I have a set of vitamins every day that total on aboit 30 calories. Will this effect my body as a break in my fast?

Its when you steal your breakfast.

They don't sell diet salt?

Meh, 6 days doesn't matter, eat what you want, personally I eat low/no carb.

However, for me, and maybe you, who knows, your first meal will go right through you, so don't go anywhere, but after that first case of the shits its fine.

Do you have PanSalt? Here in Finland potassium is semi-controlled and It's a fucking pain to get KCl in powder form for snakejuice. PanSalt is 1/4 KCl, some magnesium and rest NaCl so I make my snek with just that.

going again realising all of the flaws ive been making

can i ask how much coffee is too much btw?

end of day 1, why does my throat ache?