Soy Thread

Ok Veeky Forums, been doing a lot of research lately and this is driving me crazy. For the longest time I've always wondered the truth about soy and would do research here and there. But with the soyboy meme becoming popular, I'm interested in seeking the truth and there still seems to be no scientific consensus.

It seems like you'll read an equal amount on both sides when doing research. One side saying that the phytoestrogens are plant based and you would need to eat a shit ton for a negative effect/beer contains more phytoestrogens than soy and the other saying the opposite. I also briefly noted that some were saying all these soy studies that show decline in testosterone are conducted by the same group, a group that lobbies milk. To me the evidence that soy really has a marginal effect at best seems the most compelling , but then I see the mass amount of soyboys on social media and the fact that they eat soy on the regular and all the evidence I had goes out the window, I think to myself there is no way soy has no effect.
As someone who enjoys soy on the occasion(tofu, processed food's pretty much all contain soybean oil, etc) I really want to get to the bottom line so I can determine if I should completely minimize any soy traces in my diet. Wondering what you guys seriously think

Other urls found in this thread:

tinyurl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, Jon Venus seems to eat quite a fair bit of soy but he's obviously one example of a soy eating non soy boy

where them soyboys at

>I see the mass amount of soyboys on social media and the fact that they eat soy on the regular and all the evidence I had goes out the window, I think to myself there is no way soy has no effect.

Correlation does not equal causation, that is to say there is most likely a factor beyond soy that causes the "soyboy" phenomenon. The consumption of soy is only the most visible sign of this but not the cause of their affliction.

Honestly OP anecdotally for me soy doesnt seem to have that much of an impact. My asian friend is a chink and has been eating soy products like tofu and soya milk since he was a kid and hes 6'2 180 lbs ottermode that did competitive basketball during high school. Slays more chicks than me too now we are both in college. If you are really that concerned, limit your soy consumption though I honestly wont be too worried.

soy is actually good for you as long as you dont exceed in the range of 14-24 servings a day. Kinda hard to do. benefits include lowering risk of breast cancer in a big portion of the population only a small amount of the population have no effect on.

Le

Listen, dumbshit OP, THERE ARE NO VEGANS ON Veeky Forums, THERE ARE ONLY TROLLS STIRRING SHIT UP. VEGANS ARE BATSHIT INSANE IDIOTS LIVING IN A CULT, IGNORE IT AND EAT NORMAL FOOD.

/thread

I'm a vegan on Veeky Forums that isn't a troll, insane, or part of a cult.

I'm just a normal dude, dude.

Vegan here

Yes I agree, correlation does not imply causation, I just find the strong anecdotal correlation quite strong and interesting
Yup, I have friends who fit this too.
Interesting, will look into this, thanks

>vegan
>Veeky Forums
>normal

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's soy + BPA

But wouldn't that particular type of person also avoid BPA? I mean BPA seems to be known enough that many things now are "BPA-Free" as manufacturers are aware too

what the hell does BPA do actually

My dad has a PhD in biochemistry from Yale and does endocrinology research (hormones) and asserts that soy 100% does not increase your estrogen. Believe me or don't believe me, but I'm going to continue eating my soy.

>Doesn't understand phytoestrogens
>But they don't increase estrogen! My dad works for the hormone company and he said!
>Not realize estrogen-mimetics lower estrogen while increasing estrogen-mediated effects

>both sides
Nope not at all, it's fairly consistent. Almost everything done on healthy males says it's perfectly fine. Disregard studies on animals, women or men with prostate cancer or some other disease. Also your so called "soy boys" on social media are literally irrelevant, it's a shit meme and you certainly do not know about all of their diets.

>This

The kind of people who think it's edgy and funny to call people soyboys are followers and likely have done little or no actual research on the effects soy has on the human body.

First it was cholesterol in eggs, then it was casein in milk. Now it's phytoestrogens in soy that have people circle jerking about their red-pilled diet plans.

Phytoestrogens and Disease: tinyurl com/hfxu23q
Phytoestrogens and Heart Disease: tinyurl com/zg2nh7a
Phytoestrogen and Kidney Disease: tinyurl com/jtwyanb
High soy can result in 59% less breast cancer study: tinyurl com/j8ywsra
Soy yields 13% lower LDL/Bad Cholesterol Study: tinyurl com/hhf4weq
Soy and Men Hormones Study: tinyurl com/hsu4wqk
Meta-analysis on men, soy and phytoestrogen extracts: tinyurl com/ja5s9k2
Phytoestrogen content of various foods: tinyurl com/z3kpvsw
n=220 2 years soy study: tinyurl com/z4tbb7d
Meta-analysis on 47 studies no estrogen change: tinyurl com/hsm6ctb
Soy being fine for men: tinyurl com/zwddamh

Think of it this way: An estrogen molecule is like a jumbo jet that attaches to the Jetway of an airport. It discharges passengers into the terminal, which is suddenly a busy, noisy place. Phytoestrogens, being weak estrogens, are like small, private planes with few passengers and no cargo, yet they still occupy the Jetway after landing. When phytoestrogens occupy the cell, normal estrogens cannot. Plant estrogens do not eliminate all of estrogen's effects, but they do minimize them, apparently reducing breast cancer risk and menstrual symptoms
Soy isoflavones activate your body's estrogen receptors, proteins that detect the presence of estrogen and carry out effects such as changes in gene expression. However, isoflavones do so more weakly than your body's natural estrogen. If estrogen is absent, isoflavones weakly activate the estrogen receptor, mitigating the effect of low estrogen. If estrogen is abundant, isoflavones interfere with the activity of natural estrogen, limiting the effect of high estrogen levels. Since the structure of isoflavones is similar to estrogen, isoflavones may decrease your body's production of estrogen and increase the rate of estrogen degradation due to feedback mechanisms that control estrogen levels.