QTDDTOT: Borderline retarded questions edition

For Pendlay rows, do you let the weights rest on the ground momentarily between reps or keep the barbell in the air at all times? Does it matter?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on your goals. If you lift for size you want to focus on TuT (time under tension). You are going to want +45 seconds of constant tension, so no putting the weight down. It is also the reason 12 reps is recommended for bodybuilding, 1 second in the contraction and 3 seconds in the flexion 4 secondsx12 times = 48 seconds of tension.

If you on the other hand are training for explosiveness you can chose to reset the lift each time.

there are tons of barbell row variations but only one pendlay row: youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg
ur a fag

There are many ways to perform a barbell row. No single version is more correct than another, although some are better suited for some goals. However, "Pendlay rows" are per definition performed with a reset between each rep. You pull from barbell from a deadstop like in a deadlift (hence the name, btw)

Pulling from a dead stop each rep has the benefit of allowing you to reset your position between each rep to ensure your form doesn't slowly deterioate as the set goes on.
It's also easier to perform low reps (5 or less) this way as you don't have to keep holding that heavy ass weight statically between reps. For the same reason, many people find that this way of rowing is easier on the low back, because you only have to maintain a contraction for the duration of a single rep rather than a whole set.

Also, Arnold's form is shit. You should maintain a flat back for maximum safety. Glenn Pendlay himself has a video up on Youtube showing proper form for this kind of row.

caring about
>fully developed long and short head biceps
is gay

One of my elbows has a fucked up tendon and doing pushups/bench pressed and similar exercises gives me a spooky snappy sensation. Rows don't produce it though so I guess it depends on whether I'm pushing or pulling.

Other than barbell flies, are there any other chest exercises I can do where I don't need to bend my elbow?

ty guys. I'm mostly just concerned about my wood floor taking damage but this is insightful

Try taking a plate of suitable weight and hold if by pressing it between your palms in stretched arms.,

Bumper plates are preferable. And you should definitely take measures to protect your floor regardless.

Hey, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

So, I began doing exercise exactly a month ago. I am from a little, shitty town, and the gym don't even have a squat rack, so I've been doing my squats using dumbells for lack of better options. But now I hit the maximum weigh I can do with them (60 kg) on squat... What can I do now?

I tried to squat after a clean, but obviously, as I am still a weak faggot, I can clean too much, so my squats will resent. I've gone from a nice 60 to barely 20, and I am not doing any progress actually. I also can't buy weights myself because of my current situation (won't go into details).

What do you recommend me to do? Drop squats? Is there other way of doing them?

Save up and buy a power cage and Olympic weights, otherwise you aren't going to be able to progress anymore. I'd cancel your gym membership and just save for that desu, especially since it sounds like your gym has shit nothing in it anyway.

When you're limited in how much weight you can pile on, you're going to have to be creative and progress in other ways.

First you can increase the number of reps you're doing. The legs respond well to performing higher reps, so don't be afraid of going as high as 25+ reps per set, although it is going to hurt.
You can also play around with lifting tempo. Taking 4 seconds to descend makes it tough.
You can also progress by reducing rest periods between sets. Cut 5-10 seconds each workout and try to maintain your performance.

After that you can look at more challenging exercise variations, such as split squats.

get better at cleaning. do front squats.

please help

suppose i am i doing one arm curls and i load 15 pounds on one side of the dumbbell and 20 on the other side, would this be bad?

as on the why i am doing this its cuz my smallest disk weights 5 pounds and i can go from 30 to 35 but i tried with 40 and it was too much also i was getting terrible form

just buy plates off the internet, it'll cost you like 10 bucks

I think I'll do both of this. Adding clean to my exercises, and while I get better increasing reps and stuff.

I am hoping to move out of the town asap and I don't think I can take the weights with me. I would do it if I could, the gym is a public gym without almost anything on it, and as a matter of fact only other person besides me uses it, so I don't think they will expand it on the near future. Everything it's just machines and cardio stuff.

its a real end workout killer

>Is there other way of doing them?
with a barbell?
you could steinborn them.
you can clean the weight and do 4-ct lunges (back or forward) with the weight in the rack position and get a really good workout.
or just front squats to near failure.
or a clean, a jerk or press, followed by 3-5 front squats, repeat.
or clean and jerk the weight, lower it to your shoulders, and squat to near failure, then jerk it up and over to lower it in front of you.
with dbs, all of the lunges are open, stepups with the aerobic steps, single-leg deads, skater squats holding dbs, etc.

curls are gay
but if you want to be mistaken for a faggot and are therefore gonna do curls, there's not any problem with a slightly asymmetric loading on an olympic db

Is it even possible to hit the "upper chest"? By means of doing incline pressing as opposed to flat BB pressing?

I read that muscles are like a spring, in the sense that it's impossible to apply more stress to a single part of the string, it's always applied over the whole string. So it's impossible for any exercise such the as incline press to isolate the upper pecs, any exercise that trains the chest must train equally as a whole.

So which is wrong?

Should I add anything to SS? I’m worried about it not working my arms enough and I don’t want to go t-rex mode.

Please help a skelly bro who knows nect to nothing about lifting.

5'8", 122 pounds. Been sedentary for awhile but biking more now.

I'm planning on getting a gym membership and going every 2 days and supplementing with a good-quality whey concentrate in order to get calories and healthy fats.

I know bench press and leg press are integral exercises... what else should I be doing every session in order to get some nice pectorals and arms?

What ratio of whey protein/food protein should I be eating?

How can I force myself to eat more calories?

My diet is mostly green vegetables, rice, chicken, and fruit.

Read the book. If you actually read it you would see the original program has acessories.

If you're too lazy to read it
>3x10 curls
>3x10 tricep extensions
>dips, chin ups

I've read it a long time, so I'm not sure those are the acessories he recommends, but those aren't going to harm your progress at all

Read the sticky, faggot

>there's not any problem with a slightly asymmetric loading on an olympic db

thanks buddy

>leg press
>integral exercises
Kek. Do Squats instead, breh.

>How can I force myself to eat more calories?
It puts the food in mouth.

>My diet is mostly green vegetables, rice, chicken, and fruit.
You already eat healthily, eat more of the following:
Chicken Breasts, Egg, Milk.

>get sick
>can barely sleep, sweating constantly
>doc gave me meds that give me diarrhea

how the fuck am I supposed to make gains during this shit

>(hence the name, btw)
What does Glenn Pendlay got to do with deadstop

You don’t.

In the Pendlay row you let the weight rest down each rep and use the same breathing that you use in all other lifts. Power breathing that is.

Otherwise not putting the weights down = not a Pendlay row.

Been doing Body weight training and only now has my shoulder been hurting. Should I rest a day or two so my shoulder can heal up or is it alright to workout the next day?

retard

can i have a retard guide to beans. I'm buying canned which I'm assuming is like throwing money away, what should I buy and how do i prepare my own?

I work about 30 hours over Friday, Satuday and Sunday so can't fit in a ym session then. Is it a terrible idea to just do a 3 day full body split over 4 days and rest for 3 days?

So something like
ABxAxxx
BAxBxxx

Or should I find another routine?

any reason you don't use weights? If you're just starting exercising the pain could just be soreness. Make sure you stretch and if the shoulder doesn't hurt on any specific exercise keep going

Hey Veeky Forums I am intermittent fasting and only eating one meal a day. I eat that meal at 9:00pm. I have to go to a birthday dinner and they will be eating at 6:30/7:00 will I be fucking up my progress if I eat early? Or will eating a little early not do much to effect it. I don't want to be the fucking weird dude sitting at the restaurant not eating. Thanks my dudes

Calories are more important than meal timing.

Will sitting with a better posture at home and work make it feel more natural and improve my lifting?

no this might work, but what about ABxCxxx ?

canned beans are actually quite cheap
check out scoobysworkshop.com he has some good bean recipies

>make it feel more natural
what
>improve my lifting?
no

When doing a dumbbell side bend for obliques, which oblique is the one trained when the dumbbell gets lowered to the right, the left oblique or the right oblique?

you can focus on upper/lower chest but inner/outer chest is a meme

left

what you suggested sounds like it could work, but I really like doing the 3x5 beginner program I'm on at the moment. What AxBxC routines are there? I haven't seen any.

These suck ass for hypertrophy. Do bent over rows.

Just cheap. Will stretch this out though.

Brand new to lifting, there isn't any lift I can do at 100 lbs or more unless I count the bar weight

With that said, is starting strength on a cut effective? I figure this is the one time in my life I'll be able to gain muscle mass while losing fat. 6'0, 170 lbs skinny fat at the moment

I just want to hit my macros and keep calories about 500-800 under

BFS aka BiggerFasterStronger is AxBxC

bfs bigger faster stronger is a program that's been around since 1976 and wendler lifted using it when playing football, it's used by thousands of high schools and hundreds of colleges nationwide
weeks go 3x3, 5x5 (3x5 if you are short on time), 5-4-3-2-1 (5-3-1 if short on time), and 10-8-6 (4-4-2 for the clean and deadlift), last set is always amrap
standard bfs doesn't use percentages it uses a logbook and you chase rep records or total weight used record, doing it this way enables real autoregulation from set to set via weight selection
they sell coaching tools that use aggressive percentages for the main lifts (78%, 82%, 86% for 3x5)
they use 3x/week mwf two main lifts a day, usually squat and bench, clean and deadlift, and then squat and bench variants on the third day like box squat or front squat and towel bench (essentially a board bench) or close grip bench on the third workout
then aux lifts usually 2-5 of them usually 2x10
tues and thurs are conditioning and sprints etc.

it's the program that wendler ripped off and neutered to "create" his "fuck you pay me" abortion

I wasn't watching what I ate when I started an SS based routine and I lost weight and got stronger, made gains. If you track your macros you should do a better job than I did.

consider combining a split and a full-body
do the upper and lower of a bodybuilding program on the first two days back to back
take a day off
then do a full-body strength workout

this
iifym and cico are 80% of dialing in diet
another 10% is eliminating foods that are a problem for you (not just fad shit but actually a problem for you personally)
the final 10% of results would take more work than the first 90% of them were so fuck that, take a cheap multivitamin and some fish oil and move on to the next challenge in life

am i fat

The one that needs to contract to make you upright again.

Holding the weight in ur left hand and making urself upright it would be the right oblique

to normies not at all, to Veeky Forums yeah you're on the big side. height/weight? A 20 lbs cut would have you looking sharp

Yup. Got some good mass underneath though.

If you've never tried a serious cut before you'll be surprised just how much flab you're carrying around at the moment.

5'10

Was 250 on December 15th. Looking to get down to 180.

Thinking of doing this routine:

Day 1 - 4x8
Squats
Bench Press
Pullups
Military Press
Barbell Curls
Ab Roller

Day 3 - 5x5
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Lateral Raises
Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
Hammer Curls

Day 5 - 3x12
Lunges
Dips
Chin-ups
Push Press
Seated Calf Raises
Plate Twists

Thoughts?

you have good genetics and will be fine. Make it as slow a cut as possible to prevent loose skin

I'm about to go back to the gym after not going for about a month, should I just jump back into the PPL I was doing or get all the DOMS out of the way on the first day with a different workout?

when trying to do 1/2/3/4 , should you :
wear a belt ?
pull sumo or conventional ?
squat high or low bar ?
and atg or parallel ?

>explosiveness

what the fuck does this mean, I see it all the time here, I don't see how explosiveness helps in any context

>Glutathione Reduced Powder
Anybody have experience with it?

stick with whatever program you were doing as long as you liked it. PPL

Yeah, it's effective. You might stall more quickly, but that's about it.

Do all of them. swap them out every week. Belt is always helpful

I´m doing SS and it has dips on the program, but I dont have any parallel bars on my gym, is there any substitute to that?

Also, is GZCLP better than SS? Is SS really that bad or it´s just a meme?

no i mean if you do a parallel low bar squat with a belt does it count for a 3 plate squat ?

Was getting what feels like a knot in the same spot on one side of my lower back after squatting. thought maybe my back was curving too much at the bottom so now focus on keeping it straighter. now sometimes, mid rep i feel like a burning kind of pain in my pelvic region and also dont feel like my legs are getting worked as hard.

what do?

is my form still fucked and am i giving myself a hernia or something?

so this girl i asked out rejected me a couple weeks ago after she showed a ton of interest but kept texting/snapping me like every day, then last week she drunkenly texts me telling me she wants to fuck (it was like 730 pm tho so im not sure how drunk she was, she just said after the fact that she was), so we set up a time to fuck, time comes and she backs out but she keeps FUCKING TEXTING ME AND SNAPPING ME, like last night i got two snaps of her laying in bed
what the fuck is wrong with this girl, do i just stop responding or what

also when should i add weight to chin ups and how much? right now im at 18

im not sure. Look at the muscle groups each squat type activates and you can make a decent educated guess

try again now that she is sober you got nothing to lose but if she back out she doesn't want you

for chin ups you could add a 1kg everytime you do them until you stall maybe

pls respond

what do I sip?

It means power. To relate it to physics,
Strength ~ Energy = capacity to do work
Explosiveness ~ Power = rate of force production

personally for weighted chins I like to add weight in 2.5 lb increments. For moving up, if I can do three sets of five, I add more weight. I am currently at 12.5 lbs. Also this is personal preference so take this advice with a grain of salt.

In my routine should I so dumbbell bench then barbell. Or barbell first?

next time she snaps you from bed or something say "are you just going to keep teasing me?"

it should play itself out from there.

>is there any substitute to that?
Close push ups are decent.

>is GZCLP better than SS?
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You'd probably see better results from whichever you liked the most.
Both are good. At the end of the day, other factors such as diet, stress, work capacity, beliefs and genetics are going to have a bigger impact.

>Is SS really that bad or it´s just a meme?
I'll say no, and then somebody else will say yes and you'll be no wiser.

If you focus less on the methods and more on the principels, you'll be better off. Focus less on the differences and more on the similarities.

When should I take my pre-workout? Just as I'm going in the gym or is half an hour before ok?

well the time we set up was for a couple days later when she was sober and i was around but she said she was sick, so i told her she shouldnt feel pressured to fuck me cuz she drunk texted me but shes like nah its ok, so the day after that i ask her whats up and she tells me to forget about it but still keeps contacting me and is kind of flirting

so far shes told me she wants to fuck while both sober and drunk and also has told me she doesnt want to fuck while sober and drunk (she rejected my advances at this party), really just fucking confusing, pretty sure were going out drinking this weekend anyway but i feel like if i fuck her while were drunk she and all our mutual friends are going to be pissed and ill feel like a dick too but idk

and for chin ups yea i guess i should just start adding weight til i cant anymore just like every other exercise

Hey Veeky Forums I will be a father in next year and dont want to raise a kid with my noodle arms. I am skinny fat 25 y/o and 6'1'' about 170 lbs. i have broad shoulders but zero gym experience. I live in 2 bedroom house on acreage. Also, I work desk job and get home at 6 pm. I am willing to invest in a home gym or weights if recommended. Please help me develop a workout plan. Should I get a home gym or bench set?

ss doesn't have dips so you're not doing ss

db bench is a good substitute for dips

gzclp is unironically a good program and better than the regular gzcl program for intermediates, even, because percentage programs suck ass

ss is the gold standard of beginner programs. keep in mind that you're not supposed to be on ss for more than a few months before moving on to an intermediate program, so critiques about "building physiques" are bullshit because you don't build a physique in a few months. also a lot of criticisms of ss are setting up strawmen because ss done "by the book" is usually not criticized, for example people saying "add chins" but not realizing that ss already has chins in it, etc. finally, many of the popular beginner programs like "legend of he-man i have the power castle greyskull kid's cartoon by johnny paaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiin" and strongmudshitlifts are just ripoffs of starting strength.

she's playing with you. give it one honest try to get her alone and if not, ghost her

if you can do more than 15, then every other session do weighted. add enough weight that you can't do more than 6-8 reps and do 3 sets.

about the discords, hell, idk

mountain dew

First off: Read the sticky. It has a lot of useful info.

Secondly: a home gym is a great aid if you can afford it and have room for it, it's overall cheaper than a monthly gym after a few years, but will cost monumentally more upfront.

If you do get a home gym for god's sake get a power rack.

Read the sticky

Problem: The wench is fat – or let's be gentle and say she is quite small for her weight. She also has a desk job and is generally a rather phlegmatic person. I offered to got to the gym with her (and even pay), but she is a (great) bit of an austistic person and does not like the many people and shit, so no. She talks about buying running shoe but I think jogging (aka steady state cardio) does not help here. Considering diet we are well aranged because I insist on healthy food and she also likes it.

Question: Could HIIT be an alternative to lifting for her in order to lose weight? Maybe with additional body weight training oder sandbag shit?

BTW: Leaving her is no option. We're married and I love her. Apart from the weight/height-thing she's a cool person and shit.

diet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>exercise

focus on losing weight through food alone before adding exercise into the mix.

barbell first and for lowish reps like 3-5 sets of 3-5, then db for 2-4 sets of 8-15 reps, pick some ranges and switch them up every few weeks

whatever is convenient for you and whichever you like better

do NOT get a "bench set"
get the following as a minimum
>power rack with spaces for dip attachments and a place to do pullups
>olympic barbell this is the kind with 2'' ends that spin, you don't need an expensive one, a "bushing" barbell is fine
>about 300lbs in plates and a plate tree
>utility bench which is a flat bench that you move in and out of the rack to bench with
>floor padding, those jigsaw puzzle 3/4 inch foam things work well, pad the whole area
then do starting strength. after that, do one of the intermediate programs from practical programming 3rd edition
if you have more money, you can get bumpers instead of iron plates, and a bench that allows for incline/decline, and some olympic dumbbells which will use the same plates your barbell uses, and maybe a bearing barbell for doing olympic lifts
treadmill is also nice for cardio on off days from lifting

How would you squat?
I've been doing SS for two months and someone came up to me last week to correct my squat cause they said I was gonna hurt myself
They pushed the bar lower down my back. It felt like my arms were gonna give out and the bar would slip off my back and my chest was feeling uncomfortable. I normally have the bar just a little below my shoulders.

Also I'm a manlet and I have to move the squat rack down a foot because I can't actually lift the bar off the rack if I hold it that low on my back

Thanks anons. I´m doing the SS modification from the sticky ("Here are the workouts, from Rippetoe's Starting Strength, with a slight twist (I add chinups and dips)") that´s why it had dips in the program.

Can i lose fat while gaining muscle, i was looking at scooby workshops calorie calculator and thats an option, and what are some good Veeky Forums breakfast foods, i dont really want chicken breast for breakfast

>focus on losing weight through food alone before adding exercise into the mix.
I know, you can't outrun a bad diet. Thing is, as she is female, desk sitter and phlegmatic, I 'd prefer the "reduce intake AND increase calorie burning". Her maintenance is around 1.800 kcal.

rip has some starting strength vids on jewtube that you should look at
and buy or pirate a copy of the book starting strength

>tfw training for explosiveness

Thank you guys I am reading it now and pulling up Starting Strength. I will definitely come back to one of these threads if I have any other questions.

Why when I'm doing curls I feel pain in this are, feels like it's in the bone itself?
I did broke my left arm hgere when I was kid but I feel this pain on both arms in the same place/

What are some good youtube channels for recipes?

I follow a program that says I should add 1kg to my bench press every workout, but the lowest plate is 1.25kg. Is it retarded to only add 1 plate to the bar?

stop curling you weak faggot

Pulled an all nighter - no sleep last night to get on a new sleeping schedule. Also had an INTENSE session last night at the gym. How bad am I fucking those gains? Also, could/should I do some light work tonight before I sleep?

Should I add accessories like curls and shit to Stronglifts? I'm usually done in like 30 mins, and I know SL isn't going to make me bigger.

I haven't bothered so far because my main goal is to lose fat and I don't think I'm going to finely balance my diet enough to get muscle growth and fat loss at the same time.

yes it's retarded. just add 2.5kg each time. if you can't, then go back 2.5kg and add reps, then try again.

gainz is a long-term thing. don't sweat one event out of what will be years of lifting. doing some light work tonight is up to you but imo some rest is proably better