/fast/ #116 Hunger Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg
>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

21h into fasting. After drinking snake juice the whole time, normal sparkling water starts to taste like candy.

173 hours in, you don't even know man...

Fasting is unhealthy

What's the consensus on weightlifting during fasting?
Do you do less reps/volume, less weight, fewer sets or the same as usual?
I lift 3 times a week and try to go on long walks with some jogging thrown in on my off days, not sure how intense I should keep it before it turns detrimental to muscle maintenance.

your face is unhealthy

THIS IS THE SECOND FUCKING TIME I SEE THIS THREAD WITH A SCREENCAP FROM AN ANIME I'M CURRENTLY REWATCHING

STOP READING MY MIND OP

>Fasting is unhealthy

There may be risks associated with fasting admittedly, but the consequences of remaining fat are literally life threatening, from type II diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnoea, hypertension, etc., etc.,

Provided that fasting is done in a responsible manner and risks are mitigated (for example snake juice mitigates sodium & potassium loss during fasting), then it is far better for people than just remaining fat.

Indeed the higher your BMI is, the greater the likelihood of fatality caused by your obesity than the manageable risks associated with fasting.

why not just fast continuously instead of kicking yourself out of ketosis every week?

You are slowly becoming Jesus, give it 40 days and 40 nights.

Longest I've ever done was 68 hours.

lol, nah man ive set my goal at 30 days. That will put me at my goal weight of 175 pounds.

46 hours in and getting energy spikes, is this normal?

>why not just fast continuously instead of kicking yourself out of ketosis every week?

1. Because some of us have a social life.
2. Because I eat pure keto so my ketosis doesn't stop when I have my weekly meal, my body chews on the calories and then continues with ketosis, which I verify daily with keto sticks.

As long as you understand the mechanisms then it is easy to apply this to how you want to live your life.

That episode is particularly relevant

please respond, I even got dubs

I'd tell you but I'm not really well versed on it so I didn't wanna give you false information and possibly fuck you up

you get ma gainz during fasting, because the body converts fat into muslce

I'm training at 3x10-12 reps at slightly lowered weight, while I usually train 5x5.

I said maintenance my illiterate friend.

If you feel good and you're eating at least once for every session it's fine.
Wouldn't do it on long fasts since you can't recover without protein intake.

>40 days and 40 nights
It's Lent, brehs. Time to Fast For Him

If the body starts producing increased HGH after 4-5 days, does that not mean it would be better for your muscles the longer you fast in comparison to doing IM fasting or having a weekly meal?

I dreamt about Burger King and eating chocolates tonight

I keep dreaming about eating a tub of hummus with a desert spoon. I love hummus and really miss it the most.

>newfag detected

Ok, gotta re/ask this here:
I was fasting since Saturday.
Did my snake juice.
Got sudden need to vomit today and forced myself to eat 2 bananas, coffee with a splash of milk and honey mixed goat cheese.
I am full, and I am trying to uphold my
fast till saturday.
But what could have been the reason for my body's sudden need to vomit?

Out of curiosity and nothing else, is it really that much of a transgression to refuse to eat while at a social engagement? Is this a peculiarity of the older generation? If I refuse food while with friends my age (early twenties) some might see it as strange but ultimately its not a big deal.

If you say you are fasting they will react negatively/think you are a crazie. If you say you just ate or something I don't see why they'd bother you over it (though then again why would you eat right before a social gathering with food?)

>But what could have been the reason for my body's sudden need to vomit?

Because unless you fast often and gradually increase the fasts length, it's still hard on your body.

eating is, in many cultures and human societies a social convention as well as a need fro nourishment.
Why they piss themselves down is not only that you break this norm down, but give them the feeling that either:
1. you are too poor, give them the feeling of being assholes
2. being pitied but also disliked for having raised this emotion in them.

Dunno, I am autistic, so I prefer to eat alone.
If Jesus came down to eat with me, I would just feel awkward.

ah, ok.
then stay at three days for now until I feel better.

I think most people don't even ask themselves why they have to eat exactly 3 times a day + snacks. So they get offended when you say you don't, even though they have absolutely no knowledge in the matter besides "I did that all my life".

If they judge you for that, then who cares, they're probably not worth your time in the first place. I'm not telling you to be antisocial, just explain why you are fasting and the benefits of it, some people won't give a fuck (fine), some people will ask questions (even better) and some people will tell you that it's unhealthy and you are retarded, they'll get upset for no reasons (these are the people you want to avoid, because they always want to be "right" and have the last word on any topic, even if it doesn't concern them at all)

It's about priorities.

Fasting is important to me, obviously, which is why I go to such lengths, but equally so is maintaining my social network, made up of friends who I have known for years and who are supportive of what they are going through.

By breaking my fast each week just to have dinner with them lets them know that they are more important to me that an essential, albeit transitory journey (which should be completed by the summer).

Once I have completed my core weight loss to achieve my goal weight I will be switching back to the keto / OMAD + occasional fasting regime which was pretty much where I started from back in November.

During all of this, my friends will not feel neglected, but prioritized, which is my genuine intention. I would not wish them to feel alienated by the restrictions my regime places on me, indeed I am hopeful that one or two of them will take the same journey.

Fasting, like veganism or buddhist meditation is something that can be off-putting if constantly being forced down the throats of others, especially those who would genuinely benefit from it.

Think of it that way, you've been eating 3+ meals a day for your entire life, and now you stop entirely for 24+hrs. It's a shock for every systems in your body.

OMAD a few weeks, then start with a few 24+hrs fast, and increment by 12 hours after that.
Listen to your body, everyone is different. Some can do a 7 days fast on their first attempt without any issues, while other will feel dizzy after 24 hrs. Just take it slow

Sup brothers
How much weight can I expect to loose if I do two 24hs fast per week + the rest of the days do IF with 4-5 hs feed window ( pre and post workout food). Taking into account a 400 caloric deficit.
Also according to what I read , IF IS fasting , just shorter , have SOME benefits, so please don't act all smug just beacuse longer fasts are master race. Just say: "fasting longer is more beneficial".
Dont turn this almost new community into a smug shitshow about muh long fast cool mkay? . Don't act like niggers
Thanks for all the information provided faggots , have a good fast

so ive been drinking a liter of water with 1tsp of no salt and salt and then drinking 1.5 to 3 liters of fresh water every day. Is this ok or am i going to rip in kill?

>How much weight can I expect to loose if I do two 24hs fast per week + the rest of the days do IF with 4-5 hs feed window ( pre and post workout food). Taking into account a 400 caloric deficit.
It depends entirely on your BMR, go figure that out and bring us the answer, and then we can do the very basic arithmetic.
bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

>am i going to rip in kill?
One day, user.
Short term, there's nothing wrong with drinking 2.5-4 litres of water a day, provided you're getting electrolytes.

is it sustainable for a month though?

too much water unless you are an Olympian in training

if you lead a sedentary lifestyle or have a office job/easy retail job you need 1-2l of snake juice.

or you can make 1l and drink 1l of fresh water. Cole has said as a rule of thumb never to drink more fresh water than snake juice.

also use a measuring spoon to measure your teaspoons. 1 tsp = 4.2 grams.

you'll want to 2 tsp of no salt, and 2 tsp of pink himalayan salt or just plain table salt.

mix that into either 1 or 2l of water. 1l if you want to drink 1l of fresh water plus your 1l snake juice, or 2l if all you want to drink is snake juice

22 days into my water fast, haven't been losing any significant weight for the past 4 days other than maybe half a pound, is my body running on air and fairy dust???

HOW TF?
>be me
>break my fast yesterday (had an apple and some cottage cheese right before sleep)
>wake up
>check weight
>lost another 0.9Kg

What is this magic?? I'm taking the next 36hrs to eat pasta, a burger, a burrito, and some scrambled eggs with parmesan cheese.

It depends. If you start to get headaches, then up your sodium/potassium intake.

If Jesus came down to eat with me, I'd stop being an atheist.

If Jesus came to eat with me, I hope he'd bring something more than bread and fish.

I would say just hold out and exercise. Also are you drinking saltwater/snake juice?

I have a question, how did you manage to get through the first 2 days/48 hours? When did it stop being immensely hard? Finally, have you fasted before this or did some sort of prep like keto before hand?

God tier mental gymnastics

>eat 200-300 calories, still 2000+ in deficit
>whoa how did I lose weight
>lmao tomorrow I'll eat all the junkfood I want and still lose weight at the same rate such wow much intelligent

Don't get used to that kind of daily loss, it varies widely.

Of the 70 days I've got detailed records for 20 days have recorded losses of 0.6KG or better.

I've also had a recent period of stagnation where my weight remained static for 4 days in a row despite my fasting being total (i.e. zero calories, just green tea, water and snake juice) and my daily routine being identical to previous days.

The key thing is not to fixate on specific daily losses, but rather to look at the weekly trend. Provided this is going down at a reasonable rate then you will get where you need to be in time.

>provided you're getting electrolytes.
Not him but how do i get electrolytes?

>God tier mental gymnastics

This is probably why I'm married with a kid and a reasonable social circle and you are a basement dwelling autist.

minerals, salt

My tongue and mouth has started tasting like it does when waking up after a huge alcohol bender, is this normal?

Thanks fren
I was going to take a 48hr refeeed anyway since I'm almost at my goal weight and don't want to take longer than 5 day fasts to avoid refeeding syndrome.

Despite the junk food I'll remain below my TDEE these two days and will hopefully hit my goal with another 4-5days fasting

Eat salt. Potassium's a bit more difficult, but you should be able to find "low-sodium salt" in most grocery stores (it just has a mix of sodium and potassium instead).

Yes get used to it. Brush twice daily too otherwise you'll smell like gutter

Guess ill just give it a few days and yes i should be getting enough salt.

Started out by doing a 6 day water fast with no prep, spend the first few days at home relaxing.

Would taking spirulina still be considered fasting?

>290 calories per 100g
No, you would be breaking the fast. Just salt, minerals and water.

Hi I have 2 questions

1. How do I make my own snake juice?
2. Should I stop taking supplements such as boron, magnesium, zinc etc while fasting?

Cheers user.

Is it bad to exercise while fasting? I like to do an hour and 15 minutes on the ellipitcal follwed by 30 minutes on the stationary bike. I also walk 5 to 7 miles sa day.

I do a complete fast once every three days

>1. How do I make my own snake juice?
Mix 1-2 teaspoons of salt in some water and drink.

>2. Should I stop taking supplements such as boron, magnesium, zinc etc while fasting?
If they are in powder form mix them with water. If pills I would not take them, I suspect the filler contains calories. If you really want too, crush them and mix with water.

You should exercise while fasting, do weightlifting as well if you don't want to lose much more mass than necessary.

okay. i ask because sometimes after i'm done working out I start shaking and feel very tired hours afterwards on the days i fast. I workout at night

so do you think it would be fine to do 1 liter of water with 1tsp of no salt and salt, and 1 liter of fresh water per day?

I do IF on days that I workout , taking account calorie restrictions . I eat 2 meals , pre and post workout. Also I train at night , so sometimes after training I have some social events, and eat my post work meal there.
The days that I not train I do 24 fast

>1tbsp of salt
>+ 1tbsp of nosalt
what

teaspoon, not tablespoon

nosalt = potassium/magnesium low salt salt (I think)

nosalt isnt exactly 100% potassium. its potassium chloride. the daily maximum limit on potassium is 4700-6000mg or around 5g. Two teaspoons (use a measuring spoon) of nosalt equal roughly 5g of potassium. you can put less but not more. depending if you start get diarrhea.

no since you're having 2l of water, and water causes u to urinate, meaning you'll flush out electrolytes. you need to account for all the water you are consuming by putting enough potassium and sodium.

i gave u an option. snake juice/saltwater is not very pleasant to drink. although it gets easier to drink after a day. so you can put two liters worth of sodium/salt and potassium into 1 liter, that way its easier to get through it, and drink 1 liter of regular water.

Does anyone have a timeline of fasting benefits, i.e. how long it takes for certain things to kick in.

I'm Arab and same. Not that bull shit you get at the store tho. Real homemade hummus. It's actually easy as fuck to make.

it takes 24-36 hours to enter ketosis if you are water fasting. 48 hours max. so you're in ketosis at day 3, and around day 4 and day 5 is when people report waking up energetic and euphoric. at a 14 day mark you should have rid yourself completely of your sugar/carb addiction.

On average it takes 76 hours to enter ketosis.

nah less than 48 hours

Does no one read the list of information on top of every fucking thread? We should agree to stop responding to the retards who wanna be spoon fed info like an infant. Also who doesn't know what electrolytes are? Jesus christ the people in these threads amaze me in the worst way.

nuh-uh bro, that one guy made a youtube video so it's 100% safe my dude

Nobody is saying that's it's 100% safe. But it is damn sure better than being a lard ass.

It keeps the thread alive senpai, stop being such a dried up old grannie.

it's just as easy as stuffing yourself. lazy fat fucks.
try exercising ya dingus.

>I'm Arab and same. Not that bull shit you get at the store tho. Real homemade hummus. It's actually easy as fuck to make.

I love making my own hummus, get to add all of the things I like and none of the artificial preservatives and other crap that the factory made ones have to keep them fresh on the shelves longer.

Mind you it starts to separate if you don't eat it pretty quickly.

That usually isn't a problem though.

Lost 5.5kg in one and a half months doing one meal every other day. Easiest routine for me.

No I can't sleep and I'm angry about it and I'm less able to suffer fools

>it's just as easy as stuffing yourself. lazy fat fucks. try exercising ya dingus.

Go post your weak bait somewhere else dumb ass

>Mind you it starts to separate if you don't eat it pretty quickly

Hmmm that's odd. What are you using to make it? I've never had that happen. If you're making it right it'd be too thick to separate. Maybe you're using too much tahini and not enough chick peas. Also do you add olive oil on top?

Why didn't you just water fast and lose that in a quarter of the time?

I did 4 days and I couldn't push the barrier. Last time I tried to just do the fast my body felt horrible on the second day, all my muscles were sore and I had low blood pressure. Just moving made me feel light headed so I stopped.

Plus I need to eat to deal with certain high stress tasks.

Were you drinking snake juice/saltwater?

On the 4 day fast yes. On the attempts to push 2 days no, also you don't need it and I'm pretty sure that attempts I made were hindered by an unrelated cause.

Then you probably didn't do it right.

No you don't have to. You choose to because you're mentally weak. You're reminding me of the fatties on My 600lb life

- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) dried chickpeas, never the canned ones because they taste awful in hummus.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tablespoon tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ clove garlic crashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- To garnish, 1 tablespoon drizzled on top + a single whole chickpea

- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- The following day, rinse with fresh water, bring it to a boil on high heat, and let it simmer on low heat until soft (should take about 1 hour).
- As soon as the water starts boiling a white foam will appear on top, try to scrape out as much of it as possible.
- To check if the chickpeas are cooked, crush a chickpea with your fingers. If it crushes easily and feels smooth then it's done.
- Drain the chickpeas but reserve some of the water as you might need it.
- Put the chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor and blend for 1 minute.
- Add the tahini, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and keep mixing until it becomes creamy.
- Stop to scrape down the sides once or twice.
- Add the garlic, salt and cumin and blend for 3-4 minutes until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- If it's too thick add 1 tablespoon of the chickpea cooking water until the consistency is perfect.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt or lemon if needed
- Place in a shallow bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garnish with a few chickpeas and sprinkle with paprika.
- Serve the with flat bread or cover and refrigerate.

I'm not fat though. I'm just trying to gain 10% bf.

Did you guys penises look bigger?
And did your scares go away?

Also you know there's no need for this. Personally I'm impressed with how absolutely effortless and effective this method is.

Canned doesn't taste bad if you rinse them right. Still weird that it separates but as long as it's good it's good.

Gain?

No they don't grow. The pubic fat goes away and reveals what was already there

Fite me. Fasting is pretty effortless once you get past the mental barriers. Watch fat people shows and you'll get through it just fine

no, it's actually shrunk pretty significantly

My penis or my scares?

Is it okay to drink coffee during a fast?

>Is it okay to drink coffee during a fast?
As long as it's black and unsweetened, yes.

Get to 10% bf