Noob question, but is the leg press an acceptable substitute for squats?

Noob question, but is the leg press an acceptable substitute for squats?

I'm not trying to be a pussy -- I busted my clavicle in a motorbike accident back in August. While I resumed lifting a couple weeks bad, doing certain overhead exercises put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on my shoulder.

So far I seem to be fine, but I'm reluctant to heave a weighted-down piece of iron atop my shoulders. I'd rather give that another month or two before trying, even with light weight.

What can I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html/
strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
youtube.com/watch?v=VvLpDniGiDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pls be careful

NO

No
The bar does not sit on you shoulders it sits on your back.
Leg press does not work all the muscles that squat does

leg press for legs, air squats for all around core stabilization.

we had exactly the same thread yesterday. Get the fuck off.

Absolutely not.
Leg press can not be used as a substitute for any kind of squat because it purely isolates the quads as opposed to a compound exercise like squatting which will always offer far more advantages due to muscles being used for stabilization such as the serratus and core.

That being said, if you have an injury then you should talk to a doctor first and see what they say. If it's really bad, perhaps use a smith machine for squats?

All in all, leg press is a meme exercise for people that want to show off they can do tons of weight.

I guess I'll fiddle around with the position and see if I can find a comfortable medium.

I don't spend all day staring at Veeky Forums, you fucking autist.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried visiting a doctor but they weren't very helpful.

I sustained my injury overseas and have gotten nothing but differing positions from various physicians. One said I needed surgery, the other said it'd heal naturally; a different doctor said to wear a figure-of-eight brace, the last suggested a metal mesh.

>Leg press can not be used as a substitute for any kind of squat because it purely isolates the quads as opposed to a compound exercise like squatting

both squats and leg press are by definition compound exercises

it's perfectly fine as far as your legs are concerned, you don't get the benefit of bracing under a heavy weight on your shoulders but that's contraindicated for you right now anyway

bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html/

>I don't spend all day staring at Veeky Forums, you fucking autist.
You can read the thread YOU CREATED hours later if you weren't a fucking braindead idiot.
You idiotic question doesn't deserve its own thread and doesn't deserve a cyclic thread as well. Get. The Fuck. Off.

I didn't create another thread. I would be very surprised if somebody else asked a question pertaining to a clavicle injury sustained in a motorbike accident in India several hours ago.

Thanks for the feedback, senpai.

POO

>what is a passport
>how do other people travel
>people can only go to a country if they live there lmao

>both squats and leg press are by definition compound exercises
Squat is a real compound exercises. On a leg press only quads and gluteus are activated, with minor involvement from adductor magnus and other leg stabilizers, and only on a bi-dimensional plane. It's not even remotely comparable to a free-weight squat.

>heavy weight on your shoulders but that's contraindicated
hex bar deadlift/trap bar squat.

Can everyone chill the fuck out please?

OP, I recommend you just take some more time off in general. Do what you can but don't push it overall. It sucks but it doesn't suck as bad as re-fucking up your shit.

I've been trying to take it easy.

So far working my back, biceps, chest and triceps hasn't been much of an issue. Bench and chest press have been a wee bit difficult but there's no soreness or pain lingering.

The only exercises I'm reluctant to try are squats and a sustained shoulder routine.

Was only asking about squats because I wanted to do legs tonight.

>Squat is a real compound exercises

no bucko, you don't get to misdefine something and then go back and say
>b-b-but i meant real compound!
when in your previous post you said
>it purely isolates the quads
regarding leg press

the rest of that shit you just looked up on exrx right now because you got embarrassed for not even knowing what a compound vs. an isolation movement actually means

>hex bar deadlift/trap bar squat.
it's a deadlift with more quad involvement, but not primarily a quad exercise by any means

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

besides, he wasn't asking if trap bar was an ok substitute and we don't know if he has one available to him, he was asking specifically about leg press

for the duration of his recovery from poo-in-loo motorcycle accident, a leg press will be completely fine except for it might hurt Veeky Forums DYEL feefees

>tfw jacked my right knee from a parachute injury
>2 surgeries later
>buckles with any time of squat
>sharp pain with all leg exercises, can’t even do leg curls or extensions without sharp pain

Fucking sucks brehs.... doc recommends a total knee replacement
I’m 25 years old...

Google hip belt squats

If your clavicle is too busted to do high or low squats without pain you should try belt squats for a safer alternative

Thanks, I'll see if they have belts for that at my gym.

I just switched memberships after getting back to the U.S., so I'm still familiarizing myself with the new options.

>no bucko, you don't get to misdefine something
No, you. I'm not in a "no true scotman" quest. I've pretty well detailed why squats and leg press are not even remotely comparable, beyond the pedantic definition of "compound" per se. Obviously you didn't read a darn word of that post, you're only here to meme. Fucking kids.
Only a fool would trade leg presses for squats and believe they are interchangeable.
>lel exrx
I do not need to fire up exrx to know what is the definition of "compound", but is seem you need to give a look at the trap bar squat.. Webm related.
With an hex bar you can perform BOTH deadlift and squat.

>beyond the pedantic definition of "compound" per se
yes, it's pedantic because you completely misdefined something as an isolation (when it's not) and demonstrated that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and nobody should take you seriously

lmao

while im here if ive never done a squat before should i work on my form before even attempting the bar?

I'm not you fucking idiot.
Multiple people post as "Anonymous" on this site.
I never referenced to the "leg press" as an isolation exercise. I stated why they are not comparable here and showed you that a trap bar CAN be used for squatting too (you're welcome)
Feel free to disregard any content and keep posting vacuous ennui memetic pictures

I never do squats or deads cause they make your core thick and unaesthetic. I also roid though so I grow from anything really.

no, if you want to hit quads just do leg extensions

oh word? fuck up your knees with some retarded isolation machine? stop posting, dumb dumb

The bar is 45 pounds, you should be fine unless you just came out of Auschwitz

This is why I don't jump from planes

>Noob question, but is the leg press an acceptable substitute for squats?
Depends on what you wanna do, but generally yes.

Example: If you want to compete in powerlifting, you obviously need squats.

I feel glutes when i use leg press. I recommend doing both honestly. No reason to not bang out a few sets on the leg press when you're done squatting.

just do isometrics brah

i hate squats but am okay with deadlifts, might try this as a squat replacement, I bet it would also be killer for forearm and upper back too

Leg press is fine. But keep in mind there are squat variations that don't require a bar on your shoulders or back, like goblet squats and squats with a weighted belt

leg extensions are dangerous but leg press isn't?

leg extensions are only as bad for your knees as tricep extensions or curls might be bad for your elbows. only if you go too heavy

leg extensions gained a bad rep because patella etc etc (see pic)
also youtube.com/watch?v=VvLpDniGiDM
tl;dr version and starting from your post: you can't compare the quads:patella relationship as functionally the same as the triceps:elbow one. Quads are fucking huge, triceps are fucking sissy. elbows are tiny compared to knees but the ratio between them and the triceps isn't comparable the the knee:quad ratio. You are not going to do skullcrushers with a 120 kg barbell.

moreover, if you can't move big ass weights in a quad isolation exercise, you won't really target quadriceps (one of the largest muscle groups in the body)

Yeah it can don't listen to the meme lords no exercise is necessary

it would be great to argue with something that ain't a rhetorical fallacy sometimes

might be a good opportunity to do some unilateral work with dumbbells. split squats, lunges etc. good fer you.

>You have to squ...

yeah, you can replace squats with tumours and roids

in fact, you can skip the tumours!

Makes me laugh the way Veeky Forums thinks it is literally impossibly to make hypertrophy gains without squats

Just do splitsquats since you need less weight for hypertrophy and leg extension/leg curls /glute bridges for 25reps per set.

IN

nobody here, not even the most sceptical user, argued that
OP question is also pretty different
>for forearm
yeah, the manlet chariot is pretty nice for that too
you get "some" grip training as well