Rep speed?

>Just joined gym Friday
>Always thought you got more out of reps if they were done slowly, both concentrically and eccentrically
>Fucking everybody is pumping their reps fast as they can WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH
I'm 100% new, but I always thought that doing really fast was inferior to doing them slow; what does Veeky Forums do and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vKDYfRtfqng&t=429s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hypertrophy training or just faggotry.

Which? What I'm doing or what the guys I'm observing are doing?

it's about the amount of weight you move altogether
10 reps of 10 lbs at a slow pace is only 100 lbs
10 reps of 20 lbs at a rapid pace is only 200 lbs
you move more weight you get more gains

Depends entirely on your goals.

Plyometrics is a thing, retarded dyel faggot

Do them fast but pause for a second at the bottom

Sounds like you're describing negatives to me. Negatives are good if you're new and wanting to build raw strength. So if can only curl like 25lbs lets say, it is good to curl up slow and down slow. Basically fighting the weight going both up and down instead of just up.

As for hypertrophy vs heavy ass weight, it is really up to you. A lot of retards spazz out about it, but literally every study shows they both will do the same thing to you aesthetically: Make you bigger. It does build different muscle fibers though. Heavy lifters develop muscle more prone to lifting heavy, and hyper lifters get muscle that can lift more reps over more weight. But aesthetically, you'll wind up with the same result. It is the diet that makes heavy lifters get fucking big.

The faster you go the harder your muscles work. You practically cant see my arms when I am really working out as they are swinging so fast. This is why many people will curl in the squat rack, to protect others from being within arms distance

It's all about time under tension*weight. Counting reps is just an easy way to count TUT. There is no right or wrong way, as long as u hit your volume goal

This.
All of the other answers are bioscience. Even powerlifters follow the same training philosophy

What the guys are doing.

Don't you mean hypertrophy = more reps less weight?

Just building that explosive strength bro.

You're supposed to lift as fast as possible. But if you're lifting the proper weight you won't be able to lift it fast, and if you do it too slow that means it's too heavy.

Wouldn't plyo actually reduce your gains? Because the plyo is absorbing some of the resistance and doing a portion of the the work of return for you?
So go slow like me or go fast like them, it's all going to build strength and in the end it's all the same?

>first year physical therapy student
our teachers say to go slow b/c it challenges the muscles and if you're going fast, you're "cheating" yourself out of gains because momentum is stealing some of the work plus you have less total time fighting resistance
10 reps is 10 reps whether you spend 90 seconds or 30 seconds completing them, but spending 90 seconds doing it is going to give you more bang for your buck when it comes to strength
but the owner of the gym giving me advice today kept telling me to go as fast as I could
Who the fuck do I believe?

your teachers are physical therapists not strength and conditioning experts

the real answer is intent matters. As you get towards your max the velocity will be slow obviously but sub max you should be explosive on the concentric and do whatever for the eccentric. What you do for the eccentric is up to your sport desu. Too much detail to go into for Veeky Forums

the TL:DR is speed matters sub-maximally. thats how you recruit more motor units and more muscle fibers for more gains.

go slow for 5 reps or fast for 20
if you want to know more
youtube.com/watch?v=vKDYfRtfqng&t=429s

hesrightyouknow.jaypeg (2KB, 144x144)

Its fine as long as you're not using the momentum of the last rep to power your next one.

Rule of thumb: up in 2 down in 4

>he doesn't DE speed work
Not gonna make it

How many times you go through the range of motion of the movement in a certain amount of time under tension is a good measurement of power, which is also an important training goal.

once i curled so fast that the dumbbell broke spacetime, traveled back to 1945 and killed hitler