/fast/ #117 He Did It Again Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg
>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

leanhigh.com/weight-loss/diet-reviews/fasting-for-weight-loss-how-much-muscle-will-you-lose
nap.edu/read/10925/chapter/7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm retarded and can't read. See what's up /fast/bros?

Update the "If You're Lean" protocol

On a pure chocolate and peanut butter fast lads, wish me luck.

Next thread. I've copied this over quite a few time, but personally I think OMAD or leangains will work better for an active lifter. The thing you should really be doing is fasting whenever you feel you got too fat, whether that be by restricting your daily feeding window or straight up going on a 7 day fast.

Space Dandy
Ah, a man of taste I see

>If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
Does this mean I have to eat the entire 1 week calorie intake within those 5 days during 1-2 hours windows?

On day three of a five day fast. Going to dry fast on day five.
Can't fucking wait for keto pancakes on Saturday

Should you consider fasting when you're still going through puberty and may have a few more inches to grow?

Day 37 of my soy fast, I keep getting a strong urge to watch Sex and the City. Is this normal?

I'm fat btw, 5'10, 240 lbs

Hello lads, newfag to the fasting business. Finished a workout 50 minutes ago, and in 40 minutes it will have been a 24 hour fast. When should I eat?

If you feel good keep going. Make it a 48.

30 hours in to my 1st dry fast.

Only lost 1.3kgs (2.8lbs) so far. Is this normal or am I slower than average?

Starting weight: 88.5kg
Current weight: 87.2kg

Will an EC stack break a fast or negatively affect it in any way?

Sounds about right to me

doesn't fasting reduce testosterone?

Is it as beneficial as getting in protein? I could do it willpower wise but I don't want to do it at the detriment of overall health. If it's all good, I think I'll go for the rest of the night and eat when I wake up which would be about 42 hours fasted.

innie winnie

Long fasts do temporarily yes, but the point is to burn off your fat quickly so in the long run its for the best to take a small hit to speed up your goals.
Look what are your goals? If youre fat you want to lose that fat dude. Thats the priority.

>Long fasts
how about 5:2 omad?

yes, you eat one or two very large meals within a limited timeframe to cause only a single insulin spike that your body gets over quickly

No youll probably be fine. But again the goal is to get the fat off your body.

>Look what are your goals? If youre fat you want to lose that fat dude. Thats the priority.
I've been shedding pretty fast before this as well as gaining muscle. I've been on plenty of old fashioned diets over the years with great success but this is the first time I'm interested in wellness and overall health. Just started taking ACV recently too.

Thanks. I was only asking because dry is supposedly 3x faster than water fasting and I saw people on water fasts lose 6-10kg/week.

I guess I should stop counting and just enjoy the loss I get. It's still pretty insane to me that we can lose weight faster than we can gain.

Definitely gonna dry fast every weekend from now on.

Well look if you arent overweight then OMAD and maybe a weekend fast are perfect.
>I was only asking because dry is supposedly 3x faster than water fasting and I saw people on water fasts lose 6-10kg/week.
According to who??? That only happens when people are 300+lbs.

I wouldn't, and you really shouldn't sounds like you just eat a ton... do IF instead and Keto, go to /r/keto and read about it, you'll blast fat off.

>Well look if you arent overweight then OMAD and maybe a weekend fast are perfect.
I'm definitely overweight, I just don't want my lifting to go to waste and want what's the most healthiest. Just not sure if this is at the detriment of those. If it is, I can deal with the weight loss not being as fast as possible if it's more evened out all around. I've already lost a lot of weight, just thinking IF can boost it into overdrive.

Stop this

wrong fucking thread, shill

leanhigh.com/weight-loss/diet-reviews/fasting-for-weight-loss-how-much-muscle-will-you-lose
Read, its always worth it to simply remove your fat as fast as possible even if you lose a little more muscle.

That fat is slowing your growth then fasting

My dad has this problem with his guy
>pic related
Do you think fasting can cure it?

Im into my second day, fasting with Ketone strips and snake juice has completely changed the way i understand how our bodies work. Lost probably close to 15 pounds so far. Its so awesome to finally find something that truly works. One of my coworkers at the hospital yelled that i would go into starvation mode if i didnt eat and that i need to eat to lose weight. I dont even bother explaining anything to people anymore. I just say "yeah, i dont think it works like that"

Alright, thanks senpai

>yeah, i dont think it works like that
This is honestly the best way. Dont engage just brush them off. Like when an ex gf message you and you just ignore her.
Buddy you must be a fast reader if you got through that whole thing already.

I just ate a half a slice of cake today at my works morning tea (so im not that one autist that declines food) worth about 25g carbs. Today is my feed day and i have some nice keto food waiting for me at home, and ive been in keto for about two weeks. How much will that cake fuck my ketosis?

You seem to be a person on edge, I'm reading it now, didn't make any kind of claim I read it already. Relax, my man.

>so im not that one autist that declines food
Theres nothign wrong with refusing cake dude, if youre that worried the best way to get away with it is to cite a medical reason. Shouldve said diabetes runs in your family so you avoid sugar. SImple lie and youd be covered.
Buddy im on your side, but usually when someone replies its cause they read a text. And yes im very on edge, i lurk these threads constantly to stay motivated and 99% of the questions are either repeats about coffee or could be answered by the OP template. It just gets old.

I'm no doctor, but common sense would tell me it could be helpful for it. Maybe not cure

I know exactly why because I've been there but that post was just ridiculous lol well I read it and it says that if you take protein it can reverse the muscle loss but I was under the assumption that it ends the fast so I'm confused on that. Anyway, I think I won't go too hardcore until a couple months when I feel like progress is slowing, I just don't feel comfortable not eating for several days although a day at a time is no problem for me.

>it says that if you take protein it can reverse the muscle loss
where? I didnt get that from the article at all.

>But if you're willing to get in a tiny amount of protein (not necessarily as solid foods), then you can fully reverse any destruction of your muscle mass.

>According to research[3], all you need is around 0.6 grams of protein per pound (or 1.3 grams of protein per kilogram) of your "ideal body weight".

>And the best part?

>If you're willing to eat that small amount of protein (or even drink them down in a form of protein isolate), you could fully reverse any loss of muscle mass WITHOUT slowing down fat burn.

>Because, as long as you stay within proper limits, it's quite possible to get in enough protein without breaking your fast.

What's the longest any of you have managed to go fasted? 4 days here

The study is about protein-sparing modified fast, which is definitely something people do. You could also do an OMAD approach in a similar way.

How come I haven't seen many before after pics of people going on really long fasts and losing hecka weight?

This question gets asked all the time and it blows my mind people dont udnerstand why.
Are you fat? If not put your mind into a fat body. How pictures would they have of themselves normally? Probably not many. Most fat people are very embarrassed to have their picture taken especially with no clothes on. It makes sense in hind sight to have taken loads of pics and documented it after the fact but during most people arent willing to do that.
However, there definitely are pics floating around.

There's plenty of progress pictures, even on a Mongolian Basket Weaving forum. It just seems like almost none of them mention fasting of any kind.

go look up hunger strikes my man

holy fuck this is so fucking boring but I don't have the energy to do anything remotely fun
should I binge old ass anime or something?
like 10 days in now

>i need to eat to lose weight
You've gotta admire the ability to actually accept (I wouldn't go as far as to say "believe") such obvious bullshit.

Just goes to show that the "big food" propaganda like 6MAD and other idiocy is actually making a mark out there.

In general I keep my fasting to myself, only a few close friends know (they know how unhappy I've been with my weight and how my many previous attempts at losing it just made me fatter).

In truth, as well as the social aspect of a meal on Monday evenings and something to look forward to after a week of water fasting, it helps them to see me both losing weight, yet at the same time eating heartily and enjoying food with them.

Some cognitive dissonance, obviously, but even if it means my weight loss takes a bit longer because of the deferral caused by my weekly meal I think the benefit outweighs the cost.

This might be a dumb question. I normally IF from 6pm to 10am.
I work out around 8-10pm. If I drink a protein shake afterwards, am I breaking the fast?

>so im not that one autist that declines food

Personally, I would have just said "Sorry, cake gives me indigestion", which is actually pretty common.

I know, since I get acid indigestion / reflux from most cakes and pastries. That's why I don't eat them.

>What's the longest any of you have managed to go fasted? 4 days here

I do 165hrs a week and have done for about 2-months (worked incrementally up to it).

Should be moving to continual fasting for probably a 30-day stretch from mid-March through to mid-April as my social commitments will be on hold during that period.

That should take me to my goal of 68KG /149lbs and then my usual Keto / OMAW routine until I hit my stretch goal of 60KG / 132lbs.

>If I consumed something besides water on a water fast, did I break the water fast?

Had some snake juice earlier to boost my mood and to get rid of headaches. 1tsp NoSalt & 1tsp Pink Himalayan Salt. Immediately started shitting for 1-2 hrs afterwards.

Does this happen usually with the first round of the juice or did I drink it too quickly?

>Most fat people are very embarrassed to have their picture taken especially with no clothes on

Basically this.

I didn't take any before pictures, because I've been down the road with shit like low calorie diets before and you lose some weight, get your hopes up and then the weight plateaus and goes back up again.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much different from fasting, but I thought I'd give it a go. It has been transformative.

I now actually regret not taking pictures of myself beforehand, since the earliest I have of my in all my fleshy glory (still horrible) are from earlier this month and only because innawoods pics prompted me to do it.

Fat people, even those who have lost a lot of weight are still fucking fat people. Things might change over the next year or so, but that is a long time and I have a long road to go.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 93.7kg / 206.6 lbs / BMI 31 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Lost: 22.3kg / 49.2lbs / 19.2% Body Weight
Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy" / Projected to hit around Mid April 2018
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during May 2018
TDEE: 2,126
Calorific deficit: -1,980 per day / -13,860 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
OMAW: Usually 4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille, but not always -> 1,022 Calories

Definitely, i binged all of mad men in about 3 days. Download and watch movies, shows, ebooks or whatever.

All day I look forward to going to bed because thats when I'm not hungry.

you are supposed to mix the salts into 1L of water and drink that throughout the entire day (alongside your normal "plain" water intake)

so yes, you probably drank it too fast

Honestly I blame this 6MAD thing on shitty personal trainers. So take your average PT, a know nothing gym rat with an online certificate who really just wants to get paid to work out and instead has his day constantly interrupted by fat people.

Now this trainer is certainly fit by most standards, but he's not exactly a savant when it comes to fitness. For some reasons he follows the diet of roid machines who are winning competitions around the world and applies it not only to himself but to everyone he trains. Now while 6MAD might work for someone like him who spends all day in the gym and was already sort of fit, he passes the same advice on to the people he teaches.

Now keep in mind I'm only talking about trash PTs here, so their clientele is composed mostly of people who took the 1 or 2 free training sessions when they signed up to the gym. This ranges from bored house wives who want to get fit so they can cheat on their husbands, to fat pieces of shit who decided they will do something with their lives and inevitably quit after a few weeks, but not before taking advantage of those sessions.

So at best you've got chicks who put in a half assed effort three times a week and at worst you've got fat slobs who make a token effort and quit a couple of weeks in. Now you've got these people listening to their PT who is putting them on a roid monkey diet for people who actually work out every day and know what they're doing. And this shit just propagates out from there.

Well that's my theory anyway.

Thanks user. I had the water measurement right, just drank it all in one go because it tasted like drinking sweat.

Can I start this out by not changing what I eat but just having a period of fasting and slowly change into a better diet? I don't think I can give up shitty food right away but I can stick to the times I eat

if you do OMAW or longer, you can literally eat anything as your one meal and it won't fucking matter

no and no. It helps a lot, especially if you get low blood pressure or mad cravings.

Day 3 of 7+. My longest was 6. I would have gone longer but I went to my friend's house and did a bunch of dabs and he was cooking and kept tempting me with his food so I broke. Anyways I'm not hungry or having any cravings I'm just so damn bored. I have ADD and it's hard for me to stay interested in anything for too long. It's weird when you realize how much of your day food takes up. What do you guys do to combat the mind numbing boredom? I wish someone would hire me already so I can fill my day with work instead of being at home all day watching TV and playing the same video games over and over. I've been read Understanding Exposure to get my photography skills on point but I can only focus for so long. I wanted to get on Adderall again but my new doctor claims there's no record of me ever being on it even though I was on it from 2nd grade to 7th grade.

Sorry for the semi blog post. This is the only decent place to talk about fasting related stuff. The Facebook groups are full of retards who make the baiters look smart.

Sure. This is a good approach anyway, taking things incrementally.

I didn't start off fasting, I actually came to that rather late in the day, I actually started just cleaning up my eating habits.

One thing that really helps is cutting out take away food and supermarket prepared meals.

Making all your food yourself give you control over the ingredients with more fresh stuff, less preservatives and nasty shit like HFCS and monosodium glutamate.

Meals don't have to be fancy, nothing easier than just grilled chicken and stir-fry vegetables cooked in sesame oil (not olive oil as smoke point is too low)

Once you're preparing and making your own food you can then cut out food which is not helping your body, so gradually move from carbohydrate based diet (which most Western diets tend to be), to a keto diet.

Finally, when you are happy with that (might take a few weeks), gradually move to OMAD, first by cutting out snacks from your daily routine (just stopped buying the damn things) and then eliminate first breakfast and then all other meals so that you are just running on One Meal a Day.

Ideally this should be in the evening, but it depends upon your personal circumstances. Try and limit the time you take this meal to a regular period each day (preferably within 1 hour), this allows the body to adjust more easily.

36h fast every 2nd day worth anything?
i got to 72 once but gave up after food cravings

You say this, but I had a bit of a gutbuster on Monday and it took until Wednesday for my weight to start dropping again.

If doing OMAW, better to keep it light and pure keto.

Yes, but to know the answer yourself read the OP links on autophagy and HGH secretion.

BTW if you ever feel season 2 and 3 My 600lb Life is on Hulu. You just have no appetite after that

>i got to 72 once but gave up after food cravings

Until you break through the wall with a decently long fast you are going to be dominated by those feelings of hunger.

They are holding you back from genuinely benefiting from fasting.

i can understand that i just wanted to know if 36h every 2nd day is worth it for weight loss if i cant make it for longer

Sure, 36hrs will be of some benefit, yes.

Just don't expect miracles.

Go for longer you'll feel better about yourself

What happens to my body if I don't drink snake juice on a fast and just take a regular multivitamin?

i plan to go for 4-7 days soon maybe next week but its kind of hard first time

The fat you are burning doesn't just contain fat, it also contains about 10% water along with various vitamins and other micro-nutrients.

So you won't die without taking snake juice, but you won't be getting the level of sodium and potassium that your body actually needs, which is a hell of a lot (about 1 teaspoon of each daily)

For myself, I don't love snake juice, but I make a litre of it every day from the 4th day of any fast onwards and then sip it through the day.

Grin and bear it is my only suggestion.

Has anyone found that their skin has gone to shit since they've started fasting? My body seems to be punishing me here

Multivitamins are fat soluble, so taking them while fasting will literally have no effect and pass through you.

I dont understand why everyone is so whiny about the snake juice. Dilute it a little if its too salty or gives you the shits. Its just salt water, this isnt rocket science. If you feel tired and groggy drink your snake juice. If you get a tummy ache drink less salt. Change it up for your own body. The entire purpose of snake potion is to help you feel good.

Seconded
Only eat on resistance training days, which should be no more than every other

Also id rather drink snake potions than Preworkout anyday of the week lol

The only reason that one fat guy survived for a year and two weeks long fast is because he took a multivitamin every day you idiot.

Yep it's hard at first but the more you fast the easier it gets. I'm on day 3 and it's been effortless even with people in my house cooking and the fridge being full of food I like. Hell my mom make a really good cake yesterday and some good dinner and I wasn't even tempted. It was a good feeling. Even when I ate kinda shitty a few days ago I didn't eat the cinnamon buns that were made. My biggest weakness is bread. Being mostly Arab, bread (and carbs in general) have always been a staple in my diet. Us sandies love our rice and pita bread bit learning to resist the temptation had been very rewarding. Especially resisting sugar. I hardly ever crave it and when I do eat it I'm able to control myself.

I don't have NoSalt, just pink salt and I like to put a couple little rocks of salt under my tongue and let it slowly dissolve. Electrolytes make the experience easier and keeps you from giving in too early.

Kinda the opposite. At first you may have a but if a break out if you're acne prone like me but I've seen my skin clearing up a bit

The most annoying thing is pissing every 15-20 mins. Too much coffee and water I suppose

Prove it

How about you read everything in the OP first before posting in this thread.

i love bread too but i can go without sweets
the hardest thing for me is my body kind of panics and makes me wish to eat something after 3rd day but ill still try and maybe after couple times ill get used to it

how long does it normally take for you guys to feel like you're in "ketosis" from fasting. currently 25 hours and feeling kind of weird

Nope. The opposite.

I have some xanthelasma around the eyes and these are gradually getting smaller.

"Xanthelasma are yellowish-white lumps of fatty material accumulated under the skin on the inner parts of your upper and lower eyelids".

>Prove it

That didn't really answer my question, but I did at least look up what sodium and potassium deficiencies are like. Why can't I just take a couple of these every day then? I don't see the reason for drinking it, and purposefully doing it slowly through your entire day.

24-48hrs

it hits me around 36 generally

>feel like you're in "ketosis"

The first time was probably about 2 or 3 days, but now when I dip out of ketosis (only happened once this year), I am back into it within a day.

Don't try and "feel" whether you are in ketosis, measure your urine with a keto stick. They cost like $8 for 100.

Look at the label. Those tablets are 550mg, so how many would you need to take to reach your RDA of 4,700mg?

Basically 9 pills a day, so that box would last you a sum total of 11 days and costs how much?

Yep, it's a process for sure. You gotta build your way up. You just have to be stronger than your body. Your body will always wanna quit but you can't let it control you. My tip is to keep your mind occupied with anything but food. It's hard for me because of the ADD but I still do it.

Sorry forgot about the vitamin thing. From what I know the supplement pills have some sugar in them and you should stay away from them. You will feel more sluggish if you don't take the electrolytes. Nosalt is generally cheaper than the the pills anyways so just take it.

This. Keto sticks can be somewhat in accurate because it just tells you if there's ketones in your urine, not your body but if you haven't eaten carbs in a few days you're probably in ketosis.

>Keto sticks can be somewhat in accurate because it just tells you if there's ketones in your urine, not your body but if you haven't eaten carbs in a few days you're probably in ketosis.

Yes. The big caveat here is that keto sticks are a measure of ketones in urine, so technically they tell you that you were in ketosis within the last 24 hours.

However, if you've had no carbs during that period then you can pretty much guarantee that you are still in ketosis.

You'd only need 7 pills, but I see what you mean now. I'm gonna order the salt.

Geeze, bananas have even less potassium than those pills do. How the fuck does a normal human being consume that much every single day by pure chance?

damn dude generally when someone says "ok thanks" in response to receiving something to read/watch it means they are acknowledging receiving it and will proceed to check it out, not that they are done reading it.

The RDA for potassium itself is actually a best guess by scientists as they have no way of measuring it.

"On the basis of available data, an Adequate Intake (AI) for potassium is set at 4.7 g (120 mmol)/day for all adults. This level of dietary intake (i.e., from foods) should maintain lower blood pressure levels, reduce the adverse effects of sodium chloride intake on blood pressure, reduce the risk of recurrent kidney stones, and possibly decrease bone loss.

Because of insufficient data from dose-response trials demonstrating these effects, an Estimated Average Requirement (EAR) could not be established, and thus a Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) could not be derived."

nap.edu/read/10925/chapter/7