How do I grow up?

Asked /adv/, got a single reply telling me to join the military. Asking you guys since you all seem to have your shit together. I'm 18, about to graduate high school and honestly don't know what to do with my life. I have a part time job but I get piss poor hours, maybe 10 a week. The rest of the time I just sit at home. Raised by my grandma, no male influence in my life at all, she was and still is clingy so I don't have that many friends. I have a few. I also have a car.

I still feel like I'm a kid though, I haven't accomplished shit and I really don't know what I want to accomplish. I don't know where to go with life. I don't really have any hobbies. How do I get myself together? How did you do it Veeky Forums? I know at least one of you has been in this kind of situation before.

Join the military or go into trade school

Go to the gym, either start going to school or find a 40hr a week job

Marines, but you gotta get fit first and don’t pussy out

JOIN THE ARMY

ARE YOU READY TO SIGN UP ON GOARMY.AMERICA?!

JOIN THE ARMY

I'm a 26 year old bum. In your shoes I'd go into a trade. schooling is quick/cheap and the job market is good

dont join the military

stfu recruiter faggot

Join the army and if you’re actually smart you’ll be able to get a job that you can transfer to civilian life
>t. army fag

he's a high school graduate with no job or life experience. if he goes straight into the military the only job he's getting is a grunt, which gives no civilian job experience

Serious answer from someone who's doing pretty well in life but was in your situation about 10 years ago (27 now).

Decide now if you want to go to college now or perhaps join the military first and college afterward. If college now, go to cc for two years, get excellent grades, and transfer anywhere you like for the final two years. Future you will thank you for the minuscule debt. Move out as soon as you finish CC, don't put off adulthood. Get roommates.

In the meantime, pick a fitness routine and stick with it, work hard at school, and in two years you will transfer to university while being pretty jacked and have some decent experience under your belt.

I would seriously consider the military if school isn't your thing at the moment though, otherwise you'll just end up a dropout with some debt and a dead end job living at home.

Don't join the army, you'll be fighting for jews bro. Also, if you want to go to college get your general education done at a tech school, take a few different classes and see what you like, if anything. It's basically free in most states.

What you described is very, very common among 18 year old men these days. We don't have a lot of guidance from our society. Also, get out of your hometown, it doesn't have to be far but if you stick around you're going to find yourself under your family's thumb.

Give yourself some discipline and start going to the gym on a routine basis. It sounds dumb but exercising and having that self discipline really helps to get in a healthy mindset. I tend to be a lazy depressed slob but working out motivates me to have the rest of my shit in order.

>18

Use your job to pay for colleague. Pick a bachelors degree that will help you get a real world job. Your 35 year old future self will thank you for it.

Don't waste you time and cash taking crap degrees like marine biologist, arts, music etc.

Get something solid like accounting, business, anything having to do with the law, medicine, pharmacy, those labs that test human blood (I think it is microbiology)

Your strength and health will weaken when you are older. a good degree will get you good jobs no matter how old and weak you get.

>since you all seem to have your shit together

I'm in a bit of a different situation than you, but I'll give my two cents. I'm a master's student, age 22, and that feeling of still being a kid hasn't gone away yet. I'd like to give you a few different pieces of advice.

1. Choose a direction in life. The direction you choose isn't really the important part, because it likely isn't the direction you'll stick with. I went to college, got a 4 year degree, and ended up going into an unrelated sector that I enjoyed more than I had anticipated. If college isn't your thing, choose a trade or get an apprenticeship. Trade schools and associate's degrees are almost criminally underemphasized, especially if you're a good welder.

2. Choose something you think would be fun to learn, and set a goal for it. It could be anything you want. Personally I've done juggling, lockpicking, and weightlifting, but yours could be anything, though I suggest choosing something you don't already know really well. You may get tired of it after a while, and that's okay. You never know when it may come in handy, and it's good to go through the process of being a total novice at something and teaching yourself from the ground up.

3. Get involved in your community and volunteer. Churches are a good way to hear about things like this, though you can find them through a number of different sources, as they are always looking for some help. This can put you in touch with a lot of different people, and it's been my experience that they tend to be better people than average. After all, they are giving away their time for free. This will also give you a sense of fulfillment and put you in touch with a lot of different people you wouldn't have met before.

I hope that helps.

>I haven't accomplished shit and I really don't know what I want to accomplish

Well no shit, you're 18. You're essentially a baby in the world's eyes. Get a part-time job and get a glimpse of shit jobs without any real education. McDonalds should scare you straight. After six months, go into a trade like plumbing or electrician. Do that for a few years and when you're 26 or 27~ go to a university if you want. Though, if you do go to university, make sure you do a real degree. Engineering, Computer Science, and Business are all decent to great majors. When I say Business I mean Finance, Accounting, or operation management. None of that marketing shit. Furthermore, make sure to go to a university within your income. For example, a state school within your state. Do not go to a for-profit school, private school, or a university that is above your income.

>I still feel like I'm a kid though

>that feeling of still being a kid hasn't gone away yet

This is normal! Your mind is not what ages. Your body is what grows old. You will feel old only when you are on your late 30s and your knees and back don't feel as indestructible as they use to. You won't want to party as much only when your body starts to tire faster from aging.

Do not force your selves into being a mature adult. You body will do it for you as it breaks down slowly from aging.

Go to community college
Lots of cool people
Lots of school clubs
Gym always available
Be happy

PS the Military is for faggots and is run by jews

I went through the traditional college route and now I work as software testing consultant for my country’s biggest industrial company.

My best friend just deployed to Middle East for peacekeeping tour and I wish nothing more than I had been in shape to be able to follow him into career in our defense forces. He gets to see the world, do cool shit, and learn shit us civilians will never learn and on top of it he earns shit loads of more money than me and gets most of his expenses paid for by the government

>be 18
>feel like a kid and feel lie you haven't accomplished anything

So like every other 18 in this planet?

Joining the military won't make you a man.
It might help, but you have to do that on your own.

>I haven't accomplished shit
You're 18 fucking years old. No shit.

In that comic its actually the Marine who says "I like the way this sucks"

Former post-high school burnout here. Let me give you some advice.
>file for fafsa before march
>get other scholarships if you can
>go to a local community college or trade school
>get certifications or general education
>work with what certifications you got at trade school or go to a proper 4 year
I learned to be an electrician at a trade school and then did 2 years of community college and transferred to a 4 year while working as an electrician. HVAC, plumbing, electrician, welding and automotive are great to get started with because you can find work just about anywhere and they pay well.
I'm currently working as a network administrator and only have 5k worth of debt left to pay off out of a total of 21.

1. Think hard about your childhood. Figure out the short list of activities that you remember getting lost in--time just passed while you were totally engaged.

2. Figure out what career would regularly engage your mind in a very similar manner as this limited set of things you truly enjoyed as a kid.

3. Find and talk to lots of people (Linkedin etc) who actually do this type of work, find out if what they ACTUALLY do in their day to day work will engage your mind in the way you like having it stimulated. Do not dream up bullshit visions of the career. You must do real research on the career paths you are considering.

4. Go to school. Get the degree that will let you get into the amazing job position you found while researching.

5. Step five is just put your head down and crank--just study and get the degree done. Any degree that's worth anything will require discipline; the education is forcing you to master the skills required to perform a useful trade. Just fucking crank on the schoolwork, have some faith that what you're being taught is the useful foundation, as defined by the masters who went before you, whose ranks you are hoping to join.

6. Well before your senior year you should be actively working on finding industry contacts, maybe re-kindling those you made when deciding what path to take in school. Co-ops and internships are a great way to get a feel, in one semester, for a particular career path or company, without having to commit to a new-hire position.

7. Your senior year will then involve a lot of fun research on what job you're going to take out of school.

Military is really good if you need to be taught self-discipline. The process I describe above requires that, so figure out whether you have the grit to do this--or need to be taught it--before starting.

> t. 34 year old robotic factory automation engineer who never forgot that he loved legos as a kid. Six figure salary is way less awesome than having this career I love.

user, you just need some life experience, put ourself out there an explore what you want. The Military might be a good answer but that's the government giving you purpose, not yourself. It could work but it might not. I found myself by putting myself out there and exploring the options and things I liked in college. I met people went places, loved and lost, and came to find myself and what I what I want to do in life through self searching, successes and failures. I realized who I am for the most part, what I need to do better, and where I want to go through trials and tribulations in my own life. I stand about the graduate university now, but I know who I am and want I want in life, I just don't know how to get it for certain. That uncertainty part just never leaves you user. My Dad told he that he never really shook that feeling as he started businesses and raised me and my brothers. You just continue to learn and grow as you age and go through life. No one really knows everything their doing user, no one except maybe Jesus himself.

>still feel like I'm a kid though
You will probably feel this way until you actually have kids. I've talked about this with a couple of people and my cousins. My cousins are late twenty and thirties with careers and they still feel like they are kids.

>Make money right out of trade school, or study for 4 years with a huge possibility of dropping out
Hmm
>b-but more shekels if you finish college!
Pay your student loan to Mr. Shekelstein, or invest your trade money to make more.
If only recommend college if you're REALLY interested in it, so much that'd the debt won't bother you, but it is so hard to know if you'll be able to finish your degree.

31 ,same. Do something it never gets better, I don't have any adice but that action should be on the forefront of yourevery thought. think :what can I DO?
You're 18 so you're still a kid fiy,your life is open to you

>5. Step five is just put your head down and crank--just study and get the degree done. Any degree that's worth anything will require discipline; the education is forcing you to master the skills required to perform a useful trade. Just fucking crank on the schoolwork, have some faith that what you're being taught is the useful foundation, as defined by the masters who went before you, whose ranks you are hoping to join.
Not OP, but I'm at this stage. I've been telling myself what I'm doing is useful, and even if what I'm doing isn't that engaging right now, that's just how study is. It'll pay off in the end when I get my degree, then I'll start to get satisfaction out of my career.
That's what I'm telling myself anyway. I'm actually not sure now if I hate what I'm doing. I'm only in my second year so I'm halfway through, and I know it'll only get harder, but do I truly hate it? Or do I just have to suck it up and get the job done to get to the part that'll make me happy?

>you all seem to have your shit together

>Asking you guys since you all seem to have your shit together
oh boy