My roommate just finished his "workout" in 17 minutes. Tell me, Veeky Forums...

My roommate just finished his "workout" in 17 minutes. Tell me, Veeky Forums, is 17 minutes enough time for a quality workout?

Could be desu

Tabata takes 4

Enough time for solid ab work or a few sets of anything really.

Maybe, but probably not

Depends on what his goals are I suppose. High intensity workouts tend to be quicker at the sacrifice of rest time.

One of the hardest workouts I ever did took me 11 minutes

>he spends more than 20 min/session in the gym

Its probably a meme tier workout. For cardio, you want at least half an hour of solid state cardio, or half an hour of intervals. If he was doing sprints or something maybe.
If it was any sort of weights, nope its nowhere near enough, unless he literally picked up the heaviest weight and swung it around until he couldnt anymore.

Its likely he did an exercise, not a workout. I.e doing 200 pushups is an exercise, but wouldnt be classed as working out. Either that or he had a long wank.

Where he actual fuck did you pull those numbers from?

My ass

Every book and source on cardio and running says that you want to do at least half an hour to an hour to have the best effect.

Take a 5x5 exercise for example
***ROUGHLY***
A rep is 2 seconds, 1 up 1 down

2*5=10 seconds
60 seconds rest

So 70*5=350 seconds for an exercise

Say you do Squat, Deadlift and Bench in one workout thats 350 seconds times 3 which is 1050seconds or 17 minutes and 30 seconds.

Throw in racking weights, changing clothes and fucking around for an extra 10 minutes.

Should be done in

>best effect
And what would that be? Because honestly that is the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard

I rest 2-5 minutes between sets since I'm actually fucking exhausted after 5 reps of anything weighted.

For most people that would be fat burning and improving cardiovascular capability, as said by the American College of Sports Medicine. I dont know why youre so apparently outraged at the idea that 30 minutes of cardio is better than 5.

you're the retarded one here.

The only "workout" that could be that effective in that amount of time involve syringes and unspecified quantities of controlled substances

Ok yeh if you’re just the average person looking to slightly improve their metabolic conditioning then sure walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes to an hour
If your goal is consistent fat loss or increasing your fitness to a relatively high level then 30 minutes to an hour or steady state cardio is one of the least effective things you can do
Sorry I thought people on this board actually wanted results and not just a sight increase in their tdee and cardiovascular health

>If your goal is consistent fat loss or increasing your fitness to a relatively high level then 30 minutes to an hour or steady state cardio is one of the least effective things you can do
Yep, you're retarded.

Explain to me how? Because if you’re just going to call me retarded without backing it up then my point still stands

Hence why i said at least 30 minutes to an hour of solid state or at least 30 minutes of intervals. Nowhere was it stated that that was for top tier athletes, and seeing as most people on this board are vehemently afraid of cardio the assumption was made that the guy OP is talking about isnt a world class athlete.

Now if you want to talk about high level athletes and their cardio routines we can do that if you like, but as was stated, 30 mins of cardio is the minimum recommended amount to see decent health benefits.

It’s conpletely dependent on the amount of work you put in and the amount of metabolic stress you place on your body. Putting a minimum time or something is pointless. Saying 17 minute of weights is nowhere near enough is also pointless. Saying that the minimum amount of cardio necessary to see results is 30 minutes is ignorant.
A 5 minute tabata session consisting of hard powerful muscular contractions will out do any steady state cardio for 30 minutes in terms of fat loss, total calories burnt over a 24 hour period, cardiovascular endurance, muscle sparing etc. A minimim time limit on things versus the amount of work you can do in a certain period.

I’ve rushed out 5/3/1 with just the main lift for the day about that fast

> Putting a minimum time or something is pointless.
Theres a reason i said steady state cardio, i.e implying a consistent level of output. Furthermore, 5 minutes of jogging is better than 2 minutes, and it turns out that 30 minutes is the minimum steady state to see tangible health benefits. Unless youre more knowledgeable than the American College of Sports Medicine and most running coaches out there.
> Saying 17 minute of weights is nowhere near enough is also pointless.
Hence why i then clarified, unless it was doing one exercise really heavy therefore massively taxing the muscles to a point where you cant do anymore. But for most weightlifters it is a routine of multiple sets and multiple exercises per group at different weights, which, to be effective and properly stressing to the muscles whereby you get maximal returns, tends to take longer than 17 minutes.
> Saying that the minimum amount of cardio necessary to see results is 30 minutes is ignorant.
I refer you to my first point.
> A 5 minute tabata session consisting of hard powerful muscular contractions will out do any steady state cardio for 30 minutes in terms of fat loss, total calories burnt over a 24 hour period, cardiovascular endurance, muscle sparing etc.
Tabata is a meme that is only really effective if done by high level athletes who can sustain a high tempo of exercise throughout the sets. Hence why the entire argument is about average joe. Furthermore, if you want to develop a solid aerobic base, that is done not by anaerobic performance at near 100% max HR, but by a long steady maintenance of exercise in the 65-75% max HR region.

>used to do 5x5
>then 3x10
>then 3x5
>now do 5/3/1
tfw im eventually just going to warm up for one top set then go home

Your point? "30+ minutes cardio is the least effective thing you can do to increase your fitness level"? Is that your point? It "stands"?
You don't have a point to start with. You lack basic knowledge on the subject and on top of it, you're too retarded to minimally educate yourself before blabbering inane bullshits and wasting everyone's time. Imagine a world where we don't have to spoonfeed starting from ABC fucking idiots like yourself.
Quit posting.

I said one of the least effective
And to clarify I don’t mean one of the least effective things ever. I mean out of the arsenal of different excersise options out there, of all of those if your goal is to maximize fat loss and increase overall fitness, then Steady state cardio is no where near as effective as a variety of other methods. If you’re too stupid to educate yourself on that and the sticky is your only source of education than you need to educate yourself and stop acting as if you know what you’re talking about

Its amusing how you respond to his but dont respond to mine. Look, your initial point was your apparent disbelief that 30 minutes of cardio was recommended by anyone for the average joe. I provided proof. You then moved the goalposts by claiming that it was shit for high performance runners and athletes, which was never part of the discussion. Your initial point has been rebuttled, there is evidence for the 30 minutes of cardio. Nowhere did i say its the best cardio workout, i just stated it was the recommended minimum. Stop flapping and moving goalposts and getting all uppity.

That's a long wank? My wanks can last for hours.

>HIIT Cardio Training?
Yes.
>Literally Anything Else?
No.

I didn’t reply to yours because you provided an actual decent argument that I can somewhat agree with, rather than just throwing insults around without actually providing some input

Alright, fair enough mate. I was just expecting some form of retort that is sadly all too common on 4chins.

its this a joke? i spend 90 minutes just training shoulders lmao

Nice

>If you’re too stupid to educate yourself
Cute, a pot, kettle situation. "No, you!", right? What a wonderful rebuttal for a fucking brain-dead idiot.
No matter how much you back-pedal on your previous statements, under 30 minutes it's not cardio; trying to slip in rhetorical fallacies ("b-but other [unnamed] methods are more effective [on arbitrary undisclosed meters in the vast realm of what has to be considered fitness]! that's what I meant!") won't fucking help. Neck yourself, your idiocy hurts everyone around you, online and probably IRL too.

I know you are but what am I bro??? Haha got you so good
Seriously though you just stated that anything under 30 minutes isn’t cardio which proves to me you’re physique is both pathetic in terms of aesthetic but also in terms of actual health and fitness. I don’t associate with plebs. Pls leave nerd

Are you factoring in warm-up sets?

Yeah, you can do a really great calisthenics routine in 17 minutes.

Did he run 3.1 miles?

He left, went to the gym, and came back.

Unless he did some crazy circuit workout I'm going to say no then.

>I'm so funny!
No, you're utterly pathetic, and a disgrace. Calling for "proofs" over "ridiculous statements" when a fucking 5 minutes google search would have been enough. You're here to call >the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard
stuff that it's 101 aerobic vs anaerobic exercise everyone. And you patiently wait for other anons to correct on your factual mental impairment. You got called out by the other user with a FUCKING 30 seconds google search, first page results. God forbid if to educate yourself you need 5 more minutes! Better shitpost and wait for polite anons to spoonsfeed you. Fuck this shit. You're the cancer in 90% of the threads: blissful, childish ignorance, topped with laziness.

> getting this mad on the internet
O...k

What does Veeky Forums consider enough time for a workout? Let's set aside cardio for the moment.

Between 1 and 2 hours

seems long

This post is anti science
>what is h.i.t

There's not much to improve. Any compound asks for 3 to 5 minutes of rest between sets. Do 3 compounds 5 sets each and you're over an hour for sure.

>30 minutes for cardio
In 17 minutes I'd slam out my 2 miles and be done with it.

>long wank
>17 minutes

I guess we can't all be built for endurance

>I rest 2-5 minutes between sets

Damn man.
I mean if you're buff keep doing what you do but im pretty sure that anything above 120 sec is pretty stupid

longest pause i do is like 90 after "heavy" supersets

Calisthenics if you a skinny nigga

Full body?
35 minutes with low-ish (not HIT) type volume
Upper/Lower split?
20 minutes for either one with a bit more volume

Yes

What are your goals?
If you want aerobic and anaerobic endurance then 5 minutes of stretching followed by either a tabata circuit of bodyweight movements or burpee ladders would kick your ass

If you want to build mass then a simple calisthenics circuit, using movements that only allow 4-10 reps with little rest between workouts can be done in 15-20 minutes

If you just want to get ready for the day and do basic self maintenance execise then 17 minutes is more then enough.
Few calisthenics exercises, some stretching then running in place or jumping jacks till you're sweating and you're done.

Can be done every day and can help burn off fact keep you in shape and ward off illness and sickness.

you won't be a wannabe athlete or physical culture enthusiast proper.
But you will be healthy and fit.

Once i masturbaited for 8 hours PLUS on meth

If HIIT, then likely, yes. I was brutalizing myself doing HIIT and my workouts never went over 22 minutes which includes a 3 minute rest.

Absolutely soaked with sweat too. Soaked to my shorts.

>90 second rest after a heavy set
If you can adequately recover in less than 90 seconds it wasn’t actually heavy.
Pic related occasionally rests upto 12 minutes between his heaviest sets

About enough to warmup before deadlifting

My warmup almost takes 17 mins lol

>10seconds for 5rep squats

Is your 1rm empty bar?

Pic related is on ass tons of fucking gear and has been on heavy amounts of gear and lifting heavy as fuck since he was in his mid teens.

It takes decades and lots of drugs and good genes to build up to being able to do what he does.

I can't believe that there are people fucking stupid enough to compare a geared up full time athlete to a natural who just wants to get fit and look good.

Cool story bro, im going to just carry on with my life as if its empirically true

Anyone who lifts heavy has at least a couple of minutes rest between their sets, gear or no gear.
If you can do another decent set after just 60 seconds you are a faget and aren’t lifting anywhere near as heavy as you should be, or you are just doing isolations which don’t tire you out, which also makes you a faget.

2 hrs is definitively too long, unless you're a gym rat with huge ass rests (10+ mins) and supplementing while exercising
with 99% confidence I'd say you don't fall in one of those cases in which you need it

5 minutes dynamic stretching/warm up targeting all the muscles intended to be worked out in the session
50 minutes training session
5 minutes static stretching IF NEEDED or abs

>Any compound asks for 3 to 5 minutes of rest between sets
5 minutes is too long unless you're training in ~3 reps range. A training session with 2 compounds, 2 isolations fits perfectly in 50 minutes. 3 compounds is too much, unless you're one of those who do compounds only (why)
Anyway, ((3 minutes rest + 1 minute exercise) * 3 compounds * 5 sets) = 60 minutes
Realistically it should be doable in 45 minutes

>the tabata meme strikes again

everyone around here believe that training like Klokov or Sheiko or the cool youtube of the moment is what's best for them. Teens, need idols.

You are my role model

It could be, if it's cardio and he takes his intervals seriously.

Go LARP somewhere else fuccboi fat ass wannabe powerlifter faggot.

You will never in your entire fucking life be at a level where you will NEED 12 minutes of rest between heavy sets.
Not ever.

I have no idea where your'e getting this minute thing from you retarded waste of spunk. Constructing a fucking strawman to argue against?

Here's what you can do for me.
You go back to PLG and OLG with the rest of the no lifer faggots and go E-stat about your huge lifts.

Meanwhile people who don't want to wreck their bodies by ego lifting weights so they can ego lift weights for no reason in particular can sit here and discuss how to workout in a way that's best for them.

>Everything they know about basic physical fitness comes from doing a bad job at powerlifting, meaning it's almost fucking useless for the average person.
Great.
Now tell us all about your experience with circuits. I'd love to hear it.

>thinks 5x5 is a full work out
>doesn't do accessories
top fucking kek mate, never gonna make it

>>Everything they know about basic physical fitness comes from doing a bad job at powerlifting, meaning it's almost fucking useless for the average person.
That implication is nowhere to be found in the post you're quoting, but it seems you have the autism. Godspeed friendo

>I have no idea where your'e getting this minute thing from
Here you fucking doublenigger
>longest pause i do is like 90 after "heavy" supersets
Assuming that after lighter sets the rest times are even shorter than that, and approaching what I’d guess would be a minute or so.
If you wanna do your cross-shit or your faggy circuit training that’s fine, but you won’t find one decent strength coach, be it Sheiko, Abadjiev, Rippletits, Pendlay or anyone else who recommends deliberately limiting your rest times and setting a stopwatch or some shit, that shit is for faggots who care about muh pump.

>Anyone who lifts heavy has at least a couple of minutes rest between their sets, gear or no gear.
>If you can do another decent set after just 60 seconds you are a faget and aren’t lifting anywhere near as heavy as you should be, or you are just doing isolations which don’t tire you out, which also makes you a faget.

Everything in your post screams SS forum fat cunt who's entire fucking understanding of how the body works comes from some shit book and similar nolifer squat monkeys.

So you're attributing something another person said to me so your ridiculous faggotry doesn't seem so embarassing?
I reiterate.
Go back to OWG and PLG and go e-stat with the rest of the fucking losers.

No one in this entire fucking thread at any point wanted to hear about 4 hour long powerlifting sessions or what have you.
This was purely about basic fucking physical fitness you faggot.

What you're shilling there, is not it. It is fucking hobby weight lifting/powerlifting and no one in this thread has even hinted at wanting to hear your bullshit.

Stop responding to underageb& who just spew ad homs repeatedly.

Depends what he did and for what purpose. My bike workout is 5 minutes 20 seconds (1 minute warmup and 5x20s sets with 40s rest). It's quality enough for my goals.

You don't like the facts and getting what you gave to others.
Cool cool.
Go back to your fucking containment threads and stay there.

>not bulking on b8
I was under the assumption that we were after strength and size gains in the most efficient manner possible, rather than chasing the somewhat vague goal of “fitness”.

>I was under the assumption that we were after strength and size gains in the most efficient manner possible, rather than chasing the somewhat vague goal of “fitness”.

You know what they say about assumptions don't you.
You don't speak for even 1/100th of the people on this board.

Fitness is not vague. It is quite simple and easy to understand.
The problem is that basic fitness goes counter tot the "efficient gains of strength" goal that you claim everyone here wants.

There is no such thing as a fit and healthy pro or even amature strength or powerlifter trainer.
They utterly destroy their bodies and lose years if not decades off of their lives in pursuit of that goal.

>Everything in your post screams SS forum fat cunt who's entire fucking understanding of how the body works comes from some shit book and similar nolifer squat monkeys.
whose != who's
I never preached SS and you're just wandering for straw-men. The >implications you are stirring up are (once again) nowhere to be found in the post you're quoting. Please double check who you're quoting; if shoving words down everyone's throat is your intended purpose, good fucking luck on your quest, don Quijote. is that way if you want to pay a visit.

>>>> /lgbt/

Dude everything in that post is exactly like those idiots from that forum.

And you misspelled Quixote.

>counting the warm up sets
Even worse than counting the bar desu

>A rep is 2 seconds, 1 up 1 down
What the fuck, you're retarded are you like bouncing your shit up and down. That's bad you should do 1 up and then controlled down (3..2..1GO3..2..1GO). Controlled and continuous burn in the movement is the most efficient way.