/fast/ #119 Learn How To Copy The OP Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg
>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NAhz9tGbMps
mindthesciencegap.org/2013/04/10/fasting-for-mental-health-does-it-work/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I did a 48 hour dry fast and lost 2.5kg.

Next day, I gained 2kg back during OMAD. Which is probably water weight. How long before I shed the water weight?

I also had trouble while breaking the fast. I drank coconut water and a liter of water with electrolytes before eating my dinner and ended up with endless hiccups. The only solution to the hiccups was to puke some of it out. What did I do wrong and whats the proper way to end a dry fast?

my favourite is foodie beauty, she's extremely fat and talks about weird shit she's done, how she wants to diet and her black hood bf. Great motivation, she's the kind of woman I don't ever want to be but feelsgood watching her eat everything i can't.

if you drink a lot of water in very little time (snake juice or plain) you'll shit water, just take it calmly. Fasting gets easier with the amount of fasts you do, don't expect your first time to get easier after X day. It kinda takes practice, after a while you'll find yourself on day 14 feeling as if you just ate an hour ago.

I'm 18 hours into operation see my abs by my birthday. Essentially just going to see how much I can drop in the next 8 days//200 hours.

SW: 193.2 (but this was immediately after eating a big meal & drinking a lot of water, generally before re-feeds I'm hovering around 180.0. Based on previous fasts I should be there by hour 40 at the latest)
GW: 165, but will stop well before that if I feel like I'm lean enough. honestly i have no idea if this is a realistic target, but i'm also relatively confident i don't actually need to go that low based on how my body looks at 180
CW: 185.2

Obviously we're still in the early bigtime pissgains stage of it but I'm glad to be on target. Current plan is that each day that I hit the target I'll maintain a water fast. If I'm behind schedule I'll switch to a dry fast. If I'm ahead of schedule I'll allow myself to drink coffee (I know what the Snakeman says but I'm okay with this). If I'm way ahead of schedule I may allow myself to get a low-carb meal immediately after a weights workout.

That was insightful. One more hour until I can eat.
How does anyone here handle food going bad?
That's one of my excuses, that if I don't eat it, it'll go to waste. (Milk, eggs, veggies, etc.)

just don't buy food. Buy what you'll eat and no more. Keep the fridge and cupboards bare.

>How does anyone here handle food going bad?

I generally just wait until the day I'm planning on eating to buy anything, and only enough to use up that day. I'm losing some money by not buying things in bulk quantity, but considering I'm eating so infrequently these days, it's not a huge issue for me.

By smaller portions.

Instead of buying a gallon of milk, buy a half gallon or quart.

eggs are good for 30 days. don't worry too much about the date on the carton. Optionally hard-boil the ones left-over going into the fast, dice them up and toss them into the freezer. Salad topping for when you break

veggies: buy less or frozen

Thank (You) I appreciate the help.
I split the food bill with my roomates and they don't eat anything remotely healthy unless I convince them.

I'll keep your advice in mind tho, thanks again.

>splitting the food bill

Are you absolutely fucking INSANE?!

Is anyone here /skinny/? Have you made any gains while fasting?

There is no need for you to fast...

Yeah this. IMO you should focus on the gains for now. Eat clean, maybe do OMAD & eventually start slipping in 36s or 48s if you're able to put on some beef.

>my favourite is foodie beauty
This fat monster?
youtube.com/watch?v=NAhz9tGbMps
Youre sick in the head dude

>pajeet
>snow on ground
Germany?

>I also had trouble while breaking the fast. I drank coconut water and a liter of water with electrolytes before eating my dinner and ended up with endless hiccups. The only solution to the hiccups was to puke some of it out. What did I do wrong and whats the proper way to end a dry fast?

how fast did you drink those liquids? without seeing your answer my guess is you need to slow down on liquid re-uptake

Oh god damn it. I took a caffeine tablet while and now my stomach and head hurts. I guess caffeine is a dumb idea while fasting. At least taking caffeine directly. I feel awful. My heart is racing too. All from a single tablet. I don't have a caffeine intolerance nor do I take caffeine more than once a week. I guess when I do it while fasting it fucks me up bad.

Drink coffee. Even if its decafe.

if it's just the one (200mg) just drink some water and relax until it passes

honestly I never understand why people take those things, they have more caffeine than any single serving of a drink (except espresso or other crap like that) and you don't really get good effects out of that much (as I'm sure you know by now)

>tfw 10oz of moka pot coffee a day
Fuck this addiction

Pretty rapidly. Gulped down 200ml coconut water. Then maybe 4-5 minutes later started gulping my 1 liter of electrolyte water and finished the bottle in 10 minutes.

>Pajeet?!
That's a first. Prolly the lightning.
I want to try fasting more though to get rid of my rear love handles, though.

You a girl? Post pus

Did you not see him manly hands?

24 hours into my first 3+ day water fast. Feels weird not to be in the kitchen, but tolerable so far. Kind of miss coffee/tea but I want to be clean.

>Kind of miss coffee/tea but I want to be clean
This is stupid and makes no sense, you can drink all the tea and coffee you want.
I see shaven feminine thighs i know that. You rub lotion on those bad boys?

Been doing 48-72 hour fasting for the last 3 weeks. The weight loss hasn’t stopped but and at first I did loose a lot of fat, but now I fell like I’m also losing muscle.
Also, pic is how I measure my body fat and muscle percentage, is it garbage?

I want to get rid of caffeine addiction though.

Probably not losing muscle. You're likely experiencing depleted muscle glycogen.

First, why?
Second now isnt the best time, youre struggling through something thats already very difficult.
You can still drink decaf coffee.

yeah your body can't absorb all that in 10 minutes, space it out over an hour at least

Anorexiabreh, you don't have love handles

Do you have egg yolks in an ice tray?

Thank you. I'll do as you suggested.

>eggs are good for 30 days
Eggs were the only thing left in my fridge other than 8 x 2 litre bottles of water and it was becoming clear that I would never eat them before they went off, so I broke them into ice cube trays and froze them.

I keep them as an emergency supply of food in case I need it nothing else. Should last a year in that state, but to be honest if I'll be returning home to Scotland in a month, so they'll just be defrosted and thrown in the garbage.

Just realized I've hit another milestone - 20% weight loss.

>Do you have egg yolks in an ice tray?
Yup. Just for emergencies during my fasting. Fresh eggs wouldn't keep.

STOP DELETING YOUR FUCKING POSTS JUST POST AGAIN OLD MAN
Interesting.

aww dubs
why you mad bro ?

hey
after doing alternate daily fasting for months I'm incorporating a 48h minimum fast weekly.
what can I expect?

Not, its just funny that old dude deletes his posts constantly if he makes a typo.

Nopes, not shaven. I just don't have leg hair.
Shit. May have become anorexic, but I'm seeing love handles here. Or maybe lose skin.

Share Lent meals brehs, this is my veggie chili with brown rice

>I just don't have leg hair.
omg yer perfect bb . show vageen and bobs

Officially 50 hours lads

>STOP DELETING YOUR FUCKING POSTS JUST POST AGAIN OLD MAN
Seconding this. It's obnoxious. IDGAF if you have a type, this isn't plebbit

>May have become anorexic
That's exactly the case breh. You're good, that's not love handles

>Nopes, not shaven. I just don't have leg hair.
Please tell me you dont grow pubes either

You should get your body fat % measured. I'll bet it's pretty low. Your "love handles" are hardly that.

How fast can somebody lose 70lbs on OMAW?
Currently 270lbs, 6'6', at the gym 6-7 days a week, 1-2 hours per session, mostly lifting heavy with some cardio.

Just broke my 72 hour fast w/ some oj, feeling great. Gonna have some chicken broth soon, followed by some bratwursts. Thanks for the moral support fellow anons.

We were talking about this in /fast/ #118 and the view was that if you're under 200lbs you can lose 0.75lbs per day and above 200 lbs slightly more (assume 1lb per day).

So roughly 70 days if you do keto as your OMAW to keep ketosis ongoing.

It depends how rigorous you are about it though.

I started my fasting as little more than a test (expecting it to fail like all previous efforts) and only got really serious about it after several weeks when it was obviously working.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 38 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 92.3kg / 203.5 lbs / BMI 31 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Lost: 23.7kg / 52.3lbs / 20.4% Body Weight

Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy" / Projected to hit around Mid April 2018
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Early May 2018
Stretch Target 2: 55.4KG / 122.1lbs / BMI 18.5 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Late May 2018

TDEE: 2,105
Calorific deficit: -1,959 per day / -13,713 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
OMAW: Usually 4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille, but not always -> 1,022 Calories

>was about to break my fast
>had a dream for the first time that encouraged me not to

I've been doing leangains 16/8 protocol where I workout after work, which is after 2 meals, but I'm taking my biggest meal before my workout as opposed to after, am I getting any benefit out of this or am I wasting my time?

>Just broke my 72 hour fast w/ some oj
god why???

if your intermittent fasting, say you eat every couple of days, if you ate whatever you wanted at maintenance calories on your eat day how badly would it affect ketosis?

I squeezed it out of the orange myself, dipshit

my NoSalt comes tomorrow but my pink salt isn't coming until Monday... can I substitute regular salt for my snake juice or should I wait?

>how badly would it affect ketosis?
Depends on your macros

someone pls respond

>if your intermittent fasting, say you eat every couple of days, if you ate whatever you wanted at maintenance calories on your eat day how badly would it affect ketosis?

It depends what you are eating, if it's carbs then ketosis will grind to a halt and stop a few hours after eating.

If you're eating pure keto then your ketosis declines while your body eats the calories that it has digested and then ramps back up.

Unless you want to lose fat constantly, you probably don't want to be continuously in ketosis though and fibrous vegetables are essential in a healthy diet.

Based poo poster.
Anorexia. Tsk. Never thought that would happen to me. Okay, I guess I'll start eating. But I'll still lose these on OMAD or keto right? R-right?
What do you think I am? A prepubescent magical girl? Everyone over 20 has pubes.

>what can I expect?
The sun to shine out of your arse, maybe?

It depends why you are doing it, which you haven't said. Fasting gives a shit load of benefits, but some you only get after doing it for days at a time.

What results are you looking for? Body Fat % decline, weight loss, aesthetics, etc.,?

weight loss, but what I mean is whether 48h+ fasts will feel psychologically different from 24h+ fasts

Not really, 48hr fasts are not significantly different from 24hr fasts.

You will lose weight at a slightly faster rate is about all, but things like ketosis and autophagy are unlikely to get a look in.

>dipshit
Why? Why you gotta call me names? Its a fair question you fucking dumb faggot. Shoudve just eaten the oranges instead of juicing them.

I took what I learned about OMAD and modified it a bit to fit my lifestyle.

Instead of one meal, I just do an IF 8hr eating window. I eat about 1500calories in that time, and then I fast 48 hours a week.

I'm down from 285 to 255. I started Jan 10.

I'm lifting on the Texas method.
My lifts
>Squat 225
>Bench 185
>Deadlift 315
>OHP 125

I was 1/2/3/4 When I quit in 2015 due to injury and a toxic gf. Its coming back. feels good man.

Fair point cock muncher, but I felt like some liquid

I got some liquid for ya

I see. While I'm enthusiasm incarnate on feasting days, I act like a hormone flooded teenager on fasting days, feeling more prone to anger and such. It's manageable currently, but I like the people I work with and can't engage them properly when I'm like that. It's like life becomes colorless and I can't relate to their positivity, so my fear was that it would get worse.

Jesus. I've never had that thank fuck. I'm my normal placid self all of the time.

About the only difference I find being on pretty much permanent fasting (except for about 3 hours a week refeed) is that I don't get the peaks and troughs I used to do while eating all of the time. So for me, fasting is far better.

I feel for you bro. That must fucking suck balls big time.

Thanks. I paint a dim picture but since I eat every other day and I'm making slow but steady progress it's a worth burden. I'm fat because I ate to dull suffering, being tested like this is the proper thing for me.

I'll visit /fast/ and update you guys to say how the change feels. I'm gonna make it too.

17hrs in, feeling that first nasty wave of hunger. The boredom really isn't doing any favors either.

You won’t make gains unless you’re consistently at a caloric surplus. Unless you’re going for autophagy gains and he like

3 weeks in and already drop from this to 175.4, years of depressing counting calories every few hours and weight fluctuating.....i finally found a lifestyle that seems to be ideal for me. Alternate day fasting is working for me so far. Only issue is horrible breath even with brushing..

>Autophagy gains
Sounds like some toriko-level technique. Teach me how that works senpai.

not that user but atophagy breaks down junk proteins and recycle them and you'll produce more HGH thus gains

autophagy

So, my doctor prescribed anxiety meds to be *taken as needed*, and even on low doses, I eat almost nothing anymore. Is this *close enough* to fasting? Also, is suicide a legitimate option?

By almost nothing, I mean, I had a beef stick for breakfast, nothing for lunch, a few crackers for dinner, and only drank water.

Just so you know...

"A study by Michaelson et. al. in 2009 showed that therapeutic fasting alleviates depression symptoms and improves anxiety scores in 80% of chronic pain patients after just a few days. The mechanism behind this is not known but it might be linked to the release of endorphins in the first 48 hours of fasting. Similar to a runner’s high, endorphins, which resemble opiate drugs, make you feel good in response to a metabolically stressful event. Another study by Michaelson et. al. in 2003 has demonstrated that after 8 days of therapeutic fasting, sleep improves significantly compared to pre-fasting conditions. Anyone who has ever had a few nights of poor sleep knows this can be a powerful moderator of mood as well as changing your general sense of well-being, which was also subjectively reported to improve with fasting."

mindthesciencegap.org/2013/04/10/fasting-for-mental-health-does-it-work/

By the way, I've suicide might solve the problem for you, but it dumps that problem on those who love you and magnifies it.

My friends girlfriend hung herself after he dumped her for being crazy nearly 30-years ago. He still carries that shit around with him every day.

Don't just think of yourself, think of those who love you.

that is calorie deficit. if you moved the breakfast meal to dinner, that would be omad, intermittent fasting

if you stopped eating for days, that would be actual legitimate fasting

Going to start doing OMAD, I'm at a healthy weight and started going to the gym early mornings again. Should I make my meal an early morning feast after my workout or should I workout and not eat for a few hours after? If I choose the second would a protein post workout shake be okay?

Human growth hormone levels rise as you fast, so you should workout before you eat. After that, it's up to you

I just had my first liquid shit after 6 days of fasting. I think I drank too much salt water. My problem is it was a very light reddish brown which almost looked like blood. Am I fucked?

>don't eat
>body makes me feel bored and sluggish
thanks body

salt and potassium
applecider vinegar

>fast for 90 hours
>longest fast I've done
>next day feel like shit
Is this normal?

see

>Is this normal?
Not for me.

Did you eat? If so what did you eat?

Were you feeling shit before you ate or afterwards?

Yeah, she eats a lot and admits she has a problem with food, she tries sometimes dieting and fasting. I focus on her double chin when I get anxiety to eat and it disappears almost instantly. 10/10 would recommend.

How do I potassium without supplements?

This. Am I able to harvest potassium salts in the wild? Am I able to synthesize it myself? If so, how? I know you can get potassium hydroxide from hard wood ash, but how do you convert that to the chloride salt?

Just buy some fucking LoSalt and stop being autistic.

What if I find myself in the wilderness, lost and with no food (or if get into Naked and Afraid). I'm going to have to find a way to synthesize snake juice. If I'm in a tropical island, then sodium shouldn't be too hard. But potassium is going to be a problem no matter where I am.

Then feel free to eat the bananas.

Potassium is like the 6th most common element on earth. It is in lots of different foods, the only reason its a big feature here is because it is important if you aren't eating anything.

Even then you can go a long time before you actually suffer (rather than just feel) the effects of potassium deficiency.

Quit worrying about bullshit.

Jesus.

>if you aren't eating
That's the point. How do I synthesize/harvest potassium salts in the wilderness if I can't find food (bananas included)? No reason to get your panties in a twist. I'll just go ask the fags at Veeky Forums then.

Don't know what I was expecting bringing up chemistry in Veeky Forums.

>naked and afraid
Wanna know how I know you're autistic?

>How do I synthesize/harvest potassium salts in the wilderness