/hmg/ - Health and Mobility General - Phrenic nerve edition

In /hmg/ we exchange health advice concerning injuries regarding joints (synovial and not so), muscle tissue, fascia, and anecdotal treatment of said issues, as well as warm up routines, cutting edge research, and consumer goods that have assisted us in our quest to attain optimum health.

READ THE STAPLES AND THE NEWS. ASK QUESTIONS. POST CUTTING EDGE RESEARCH. DEBATE.

In the end, this amalgamation of knowledge will be added to a site for all to see.

Things to discuss: knees, shoulders, back and cervical pain, stiffness, hyper and hypomobility, GAPS diet, voodoo flossing, foam rolling, EPI therapy, active/passive hanging, isometric/active/passive/dynamic/static/ballistic stretching, cryosauna, products and where you got them /csg/ style.

Previous thread: desuarchive.org/fit/thread/44648780

>STAPLES
Voodoo flossing and inflamamation advice, how to restore your joint mechanics and reduce inflammation: pastebin.com/gP3RJuF8
Acute pain in the neck and/or shoulder: pastebin.com/7MPaHXbB

>STRETCHING/MUSCLE STABILISATION ROUTINES
Squat rehab youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0 & youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI
Shoulder rehab youtube.com/watch?v=1YHIV4a81Os
Scapula mobilisation youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wo095zPnc
Pyriformis stretching >NEWS
user shares experience with voodoo flossing and resistance band training user talks about foam rolling user gives out feet, shoes, and walking advice user gives out miscellaneous advice user posts list of supplements to nourish your fascia and joints >PRODUCTS (stick to sites that ship internationally)
Latex resistance band: ebay.com/itm/253395848536
Foam roller: ebay.com/itm/253396341171
Genuine original Feiyue's: ebay.com/itm/372127138025
Ricin oil ebay.com/itm/253413406714

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gP3RJuF8).
ameerrosic.com/how-to-biohack-your-sleep-25-proven-scientific-methods/
youtube.com/watch?v=tiV6-UEyfO8&index=8&list=PL5l-7FUPUdfVwqf6WePaVQ4E6jCw5qQPk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLairHEutE
youtube.com/watch?v=LlDNef_Ztsc
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20225319
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I advise everyone with shoulder/neck pain to read the new pastebin.

Lately I've been doing closed kinetic chain neck exercises (neck curls, all angles), so the kind that doesn't cause disc compression, and the results are nothing short of miraculous. It made me realise I have a muscular imbalance because one side of the neck is much stronger than the other, I fixed the way in which it moves, and it's made it so that I can sit for long periods of time a lot more comfortably.
I advise anyone with a tense, weak, long neck to do a bunch (100 reps, divided into how many sets you feel comfortable with) of neck curls with some weight. On your stomach, on your back, and on your side (2x).

Bonus: your pencil neck will go away in a month.

Neck pastebin coming up for the next /hmg/!

Hopefully this will do away with the pencil neck syndrome that is more prevalent than the chicken leg one.

My shoulder is popping when I raise it primarly to the side and there is slight discomfort. I've been doing band pull appart and shoulder dislocate for 2 weeks and still no improvment.

Raising my arm to 180° perpendicular to my body and twisting my fist to the front and back reproduce the popping and the slight discomfort.

What should I look into?

First of all, do the whole routine on a daily basis. Secondly, are you sure you're doing the dislocates the right way? Thirdly, you should also do the scapular mobilization one because it does help. Lastly, in all likelihood your joint mechanics are just fucked up due to years of doing movements incorrectly to avoid pain, so you could give voodoo flossing a go and then do both routines listed above, followed by going to sleep with some ricin oil gauze wrapped around your shoulder, as outlined in the OP (pastebin.com/gP3RJuF8).

I forgot to ask, which shoulder? Asking because of the phrenic nerve. It's better to eliminate all possible causes since it's so easy to do.

just wanna say my arm feels better nowadays.
i had a damaged chest tendon, after it healed my arm would get swollen when i work out (not a pump, like just crazy swole)
followed advice here, did some stretching, guess the tendon stuff left my circulation fucked up, feeling much better now.
thanks /fit.

It's my right shoulder.

Follow this and also try to massage your gallbladder for a couple of minutes. Might be worth a shot (for the acute pain, not the popping).

Ok thanks I'll try voodoo flossing again I'm having a hard time setting it up correctly on the shoulder but I'll do my best.

>Ok thanks I'll try voodoo flossing again I'm having a hard time setting it up correctly on the shoulder but I'll do my best.
That's because you're not supposed to do the shoulder one alone. It's easy to wrap it around the knee and perhaps other smaller joints, but you definitely should have someone do it for you as far as your shoulder is concerned. I've personally never succeeded in setting it up correctly by myself.

Can you try the gallbladder massage?

I just tried and didn't feel anything but I don't have acute pain in the shoulder just slight discomfort.

>retract scapula
>roll shoulders backwards
>Feel like I pinched a nerve that goes through my left arm and elbow
in Can someone help pls

y no mention of infrared lamps? It cured my shoulder injury, you know the really annoying one right in the middle, inside of it.

I've got some injury in my right shoulder while doing DB flies. It gets pretty painful now when I try to do chest lifts.

Going to a physician next week, but approximately how long should it take before I can do bench press again?

Can you explain it further before I do some research on them?

Tennis elbow? Can you circle where the pain is?

Your anterior deltoid is just inflammed. Voodoo flossing + ricin oil should fix it easily overnight.

read the infrared lamp category in here

ameerrosic.com/how-to-biohack-your-sleep-25-proven-scientific-methods/

has some scientific citations

Thanks a lot. That's great news.

left is when i put my shoulders on the side
right is when i raise my arms with scapula retracted

Clattered into someone today while running and landed on my front, tried to brace with my forearms but my chest took quite a lot of the impact.

I think it's the sternum and the first few rib bones on the upper right side of my chest. Stiffened up now and aches when i put even a small amount of force on it and feels like my chest is caving in when i lean forward.

Any idea how to recover quickly and things i should or shouldn't do? Hurts just get up from lying down

see a doctor?

I know what's wrong now. It's your neck.

What is going on:
>I suspect your C5-C7 is bulging (BE CAREFUL) and pinching the nerve
>Nerve pinching causes weakness in the subsequent muscles (shoulder)
>Shoulder weakness causes inflamed elbow
>Shoulder weakness forces rhomboid to overcompensate and get stiff
I'm fairly certain this is the issue. Tell me if your rhomboids are tight and get a cervical MRI to see if you have a herniated disc.

To minimise the issue and promote healing, here are things you can do:
>floss your shoulder and elbow
>ricin oil packs are also helpful, as per the OP
>do closed kinetic chain neck curls, all angles, as per to restore joint mechanics and allow the herniated disc (ruptured disc) to heal
>do the shoulder stabilisation routine and do some rhomboid stretches
>take OTC anti inflammatory meds

I believe it's just sore and inflammed, but you should do some stretches (stretch basically everything) to ensure that nothing is out of place.

I don't think it's that bad though, what could a doctor/gp possibly tell me? I don't care much for painkillers and he'll probably just tell me to rest

I carried on running straight after it happened btw

>Stretch basically everything
Any specific stretches?

What basically happened is that when you fell, your chest muscles contracted violently to brace for impact, so they're sore and inflamed. If you want to heal faster, stretch your chest muscles and train rhomboids, but you will be fine in a few days.

I feel like it's more of a bone ache rather than muscle ache though, it's mainly in the middle of my chest where there isn't really any muscle?? I've tried some stretching but it doesn't affect the muscle at all it just makes my sternum feel like it could creak any second

Well, bones have nerves and pain receptors as well, so if that's the case, all you can do is rest and wait for the inflammation to go down. You can take an OTC anti inflammatory.

It's like in this area if that helps, collarbone is fine though

rhomboids on my left side really are not as tight as the ones on the right side. Are you sure about inflammation tho? My elbow isn't swollen, it's just that i felt the nerve there right in the funny bone
Can't really get an MRI now cause i'm not sure my insurance will cover so i need to look into it, but i'll do the other things you said.
Thanks for this long detailed post user.

>rhomboids on my left side really are not as tight as the ones on the right side
Ah, and the pain is on the left side? At any rate, that only means the nerve hasn't weakened yet as a result of the constant pinching, probably because it's likely only bulging, not quite ruptured yet, so do the closed kinetic chain neck exercises. Basically any neck exercise that doesn't compress the cervical spine is good for you. In short, only the ones I listed are good for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=tiV6-UEyfO8&index=8&list=PL5l-7FUPUdfVwqf6WePaVQ4E6jCw5qQPk this guy only does one variation, but this is what you're supposed to do for all 4 sides of the neck.
If you do this, your neck's structural integrity will go up and the tissue will be allowed to heal itself.

Thank you user, you're a true brodie

Reposting from /plg/

I get pain in my left elbow when I bench. It's at the inside of it, over the bony bit, I think the medial epichondyle (the inner one, not the 'point' of the elbow or the outer bony bit if that makes sense). It's worse when the bar is around my chest and I'm pushing up, also seems to be worse when doing close-grip or incline, as well as unracking. There's no real muscle pain, and it's only slightly tender around the area. Any ideas? - googling makes it seem like a golfer's elbow, but my grip seems to be unaffected, and I don't feel any pain in the forearm

It's just inflammation. Tennis/golfer's elbow is the same, but the inflammation is at a different point of the elbow. Voodoo flossing! Read the pastebins in the OP.

Bone or muscle, probably both.

I've been using the floss band for the shoulder exercises with a lot too of success. I just hold it with one hand, pull with the other and it just works.

can i get some advice?

been lifting for a bit now, sometimes get pain in my left thumb, near the base of the hand. i really don't want to permanently fuck my hand up, how can i unfuck it?

It's inflamed. Stretch your fingers and make sure the weights aren't constantly pressing against the area that's inflamed.

thanks user

How to fix cervical spine issues?

Oh, wrapping your hands before lifting would also help.

Depends on the issue. Most issues are caused by structural instability, so general advice for them would be to strengthen it and the surrounding muscles.

will do also :)

I also did the relief drills in this vid
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLairHEutE
which are sort of fixing my problem so you're right, it seems like I have a herniated cervical disc

It's probably just bulging for now, not yet herniated. So I recommend the 4 angle neck curls to hit all muscles of the neck and some stretching, but be careful not to further lengthen weak muscles.

Just don't make it too thick. Make it tight but not thick.

I've recently started running. My knees are hurting a little bit during running as well as after. Is this normal?I've never had knee pain before, even while hiking 25km a day with a heavy bag. Is this a muscle growth pain or joint pain?

If you're wearing different shoes it's possible the support muscles (small) are not used to that load and you went overboard for how underdeveloped they are. For patellar instability I'd say just keep at it and deal with the symptoms by voodoo flossing and using ricin packs until the supporting muscles are strong enough.

>'d say just keep at it and deal with the symptoms by voodoo flossing and using ricin packs until the supporting muscles are strong enough.
Thanks, ill keep that in mind if the pain gets super uncomfortable. at this point is just a mild pain, but certainly noticeable. It's just a bit concerning seeing as I'm only 21, and knee pain seems like something that comes with old age.

Could also look into some of the supplements listed in the OP. Glucosamine comes to mind.

I've been having pain in my left foot (where the circle is in the pic) after walking for a few months now.
It happens when I walk, or when I do a calf-raise motion too. It's a sharp pain like right in the middle of the arch, feels like something is being pulled or tearing.
What it seems like is my calf and achilles heel are just super fucking tight, so something in my foot is being pulled taut and then stretched too far when I'm walking. Weirdly, it doesn't happen when I run.
Some context: I sit at a desk all day, and then sit when I get back home. I've been doing this for years, and am about as flexible as a wooden board. I've recently started a general stretching routine to try and fix myself a little bit.
Any ideas?

Same here. Wear more flexible, zero drop shoes (eg feiyues) and stretch all your calves and feet. Make sure you sprawl your toes when walking and ensure the toebox is wide enough for your feet.
Additionally you can massage your feet with a tennis ball, gently.

anyone have some advice on what I should to stay active after shoulder surgery (labrum repair)? I biked for an hour today, 1 week post-op. I'd love to work on my core, mobility and fixing my pelvic imbalance. pls help.

Well, personally I would work on that shoulder gently by doing active and passive hangs. For core work, since you can't strain your shoulder, sustain the hollow body position for a while. For mobility, try doing floreio work like ido portal. Easier to become flexible when you actually need to in order to do a certain movement.

Oh and for the pelvic tilt.. stretch hip flexors, stretch quads, strengthen hamstrings and core.

Thanks man. I'll look into the zero drop shoes. Any advice on specific stretches that helped you?

thanks for the tips
I won't be able to raise my op arm for the hb position, thats fine right? ido portal doesn't seem possible with one arm, maybe pistol squats ? and what movements in particular to strengthen my hamstrings ? I always thought my hams were fine and my quads were the problem.

It's okay, just not ideal, but do it. As for Ido, that's the name of a person. He incorporates floreio (capoeira) in his dances. You just have to move. Dance and incorporate movements that require flexibility and your body will adapt. Just train often. This requires a lifestyle change.

It's the opposite. Do reverse leg curls and stuff. Quads are tight and need to be stretched. Maybe your hams are not the issue. But usually the combination of what I said is the best way to fix it. It's likely you are not being afflicted by every single condition I listed and the tilt is only being caused by one, like a weak core and tight hip flexors.

>weak core and tight hip flexors

this is the definitely problem, but i'll take note of everything you said. any other core work you could recommend? thanks again

Rings... But you can't really use your shoulders.

Once the hollow body position becomes too easy you can just add weight to your legs. Then you can also do some weighed crunches if you want more dynamic exercises as opposed to static. No much to pick from considering you're mostly immobile.

>Once the hollow body position becomes too easy
just lower your legs once they're hovering to above the ground it's much harder. Assuming he's following proper form an has the small of his back in constant contact with the ground. You shouldn't have to add weight for probably 5-6 solid months.

>You shouldn't have to add weight for probably 5-6 solid months.
You're kidding, right? My core was weak and after a week of doing it constantly I can do it effortlessly for ages with proper form.

I doubt your using proper form then or have girl skinny legs.

I guarantee I am using proper form: youtube.com/watch?v=LlDNef_Ztsc

Just because you have numale levels of testosterone doesn't mean everyone progresses at your velocity.

confirmed manlet
I bet you're not even recruiting all of your core

I'm 6'2. How about you stop shitposting and fuck off?

>I'm 6'2''
sure you are buddy

0 fucks given. You have inferior genetics and your body heals at the pace of molasses. user above, you are supposed to start adding weight after being able to maintain it effortlessly for 5 minutes.

you don't need to add weight to hollow body ever you just need to do harder holds. You shouldn't just be doing hollow you should at least be doing bridges and L-sits end goal being front lever.

>You shouldn't just be doing hollow you should at least be doing bridges and L-sits end goal being front lever.
Good job doing L-sits with just one arm, you FUCKING imbecile.
Read: >doesn't seem possible with one arm

The guy can ONLY use one arm. Hence the hollow body position.

then do L hangs

Yeah, someone with a weak core and potentially weak shoulders (one of which had to undergo surgery) is going to do one armed L hangs. Please leave.

yeah I'm recommending he just dosen't work up to it or anything.

Do you guys know about the healing properties of peptides? I had chronic back pain from a herniated disc as well as joint pain in my rotator cuff and left knee. After a year of physical therapy, I was still injured. After one month of BPC-157 and MK-677, it’s like I never got an injury.

I know some of you will choose to be natty despite neither of those compounds having any significant side effects, but when I saw this thread I thought somebody here could use this info.

>BPC-157
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20225319
>Pentadecapeptide BPC 157 (PL 14736) improves ligament healing in the rat.
Seems promising. Will look into them. How much were they, for a month's worth of treatment?

Acute Left Shoulder/Neck pain in someone who lifts regularly
>Tumor
>Pancreatic Cancer
>Ruptured spleen
Do you fucking know anything about medicine you knuckle dragging mongoloid? Stop scaring brainlet anons with your web md bullshit and jew floss shill.

I said those were things to consider but very unlikely. You're the brainlet. It literally outlines exactly how to rule those out. If the massage is ineffective then it means the phrenic nerve is not being pressed by the pancreas/gallbladder, in which case none of that applies to you. The gallbladder one is fairly common, and if the massage fixes anything, those are the things you should be on the lookout for.

>being health conscious is bad
KYS.

It's not being health conscious that makes you a fucking mongoloid it's the fact that you suggest jumping to some obscure and relatively uncommon condition to explain acute atraumatic joint pain in a population of generally healthy young adults who lift large amounts of weight and exercise regularly (read high impact activity). I'm not saying that what your suggesting couldn't cause joint pain but it is certainly far from the top of the list of probable diagnosis for anyone with even a basic understanding of medicine or even basic fucking human anatomy. The most complicated explanation isn't always the right one and using big words certainly doesn't make you seem intelligent to anyone who knows what the fuck they're talking about. Stick to web md b0ss.

bless u user, u have given out great advice

It doesn't matter because I explain how to rule them out. Yesterday a friend of mine discovered he had gallstones using this method because his neck pain (right side) subsided after his doctor massaged his gallbladder.
Fuck off shitposter.

Easy there b0ss. I'm not insulting the fruits of your google searches. It's fantastic for people to take an interest in their own health and I'm never gonna fault you for that. I'm just suggesting that you take what you're taught at Yahoo University with a grain of salt. Maybe take that PHD in live action role play off the fridge for a little while and do some legitimate research. Maybe take a class or two on anatomy if it really interests you. It's good to make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about before trying to hand out medical advice to developmentally disabled preteens on a vietnamese basket weaving forum. But hey if you wanna keep drooling all over the keyboard with your top shelf, premo, cage free, grass fed, knuckle dragging, grade A, organic retardation I won't stop you.

Thanks for the bumps, hopefully they'll help someone out.

Best of luck with your 3rd world medical practice Obunga. Might I recommend Mercury or sex with a virgin? Lobotomy always works wonders for joint pain and burning sage is never out of the question.

BPC-157 was $34 for 3 weeks of treatment and that was all I needed. MK-677 was $65 for 2 months worth.

Both are well known in the PED community for rapidly recovering from injuries. BPC-157 increases growth hormone receptors in tendons, MK-677 increases growth hormone.