/fast/ #120 - Yes, Swallowing Fung's load will break your fast edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg
>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/hbp_low.pdf
leangains.com/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part-one/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

P L A N T A I N S

Would the capsule of a pill break a fast? Strongly considering breaking up my sodium/potassium intake into pills, the snake juice is disgusting. Just vomited after letting a burp loose and tasting my own breath.

are you fasting for some ungodly length of time?
>no
Then stop it with this fucking snake juice bullshit.

Don't believe me? Go fast for thirty fucking days and get an electrolyte test done. Unless you're severely malnourished from the beginning your levels will be just fine until you refeed.

/longfast/ lads where u at, currently on day 8 reporting in.
The best thing of fasting is how much money you save, idk how american fatties don't just do this all the time instead of complaining that obesity is for poor people

Behold your hero.

The guy is a fucking retard and the people shilling his shit are even dumber.

Femanon
I worked out today and I will be sore tomorrow. Can I start my 72 hours dry fast tomorrow morning? It would be more convenient for me but I don't know if that would mess up my muscle recovery and growth

Would've been great to hear that prior to starting. That salt water shit is literally the only thing I've found difficult about fasting so far.

>Don't believe me? Go fast for thirty fucking days and get an electrolyte test done. Unless you're severely malnourished from the beginning your levels will be just fine until you refeed.

The problem is that when you start fasting, especially if you go hard from day one as some have done, then you can get all sorts of fucked up symptoms (mostly from the body bitching about withdrawal from it's carbohydrate addiction), which could be mistake for potassium depletion:

Low potassium symptoms
====================
Symptoms of low potassium are usually mild. At times the effects of low potassium can be vague. There may be more than one symptom involving the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, kidneys, muscles, heart, and nerves.

- Weakness, tiredness, and cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)
- Tingling or numbness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Abdominal cramping, bloating
- Constipation
- Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)
- Passing large amounts of urine or feeling very thirsty most of the time
- Fainting due to low blood pressure
- Abnormal psychological behaviour - depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

Some of these are actually just natural features of fasting (like the water retention), so you can see why people freak out.

Secondly, nutritionists say that generally we are deficient in potassium because we no longer have the fruit / vegetable based diet that our bodies are designed for.

This is not to say that Snake Juice isn't a meme or even just a gimmick, but it does have some basis in fact even if it is being over exaggerated by Cole.

Equally, it's easier to drink a nickel's worth of salty water on the off chance that it might do you some good than waste time and money going to a clinic to get your electrolytes checked.

Unless you're going for some insanely long fasts that shit is unnecessary and I really wish the fags claiming shit like "headaches are a sign of electrolyte depletion" would just go get a fucking blood test.

Unlike these other fuckers I've trained over 30 fat lazy piece of shit ham planet fucks with fasting. And I do it with clinical supervision including blood tests to monitor for deficiencies. I've never told people to take in salts, none of them ever have, and even the fuckers doing 90 days (Against my wishes mind you) and none of them ever had any deficiency.

These tests are dirt cheap compared to the savings in food and protein powder you're not swallowing that you can afford to do them weekly.

You can start and stop when you like.

Your body, your choice.

Noted, and thank you for your input. I'll be looking into this starting tomorrow.

honestly my biggest challenge with fasting is BOREDOM. I never realized how much time I spend grocery shopping, planning a meal, cooking the meal and then eating it. All of the sudden I got so many extra hours a day and it's killing me, especially today on a sunday...

I woke up with a sharp stinging pain in my butt
I'm worried. W-what if I have ass cancer? Can I fast it away?

No. You can't fast the gay away.

You need electroshock treatment. Hit up Mike Pence, he'll give you the low down.

Time to hit up /sig/

And boredom added with less sleep, i got so much time but nothing to do kek
i wish i could just sleep all day while fasting

Did a 1500cal a day cut last week. Today I ate maintenance. What fast should I aim for now? 3 days? What could I expect from that?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm currently getting about 4hrs from midnight to 4AM.

Could do without this shit.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm currently getting about 4hrs from midnight to 4AM.

Could do without this shit.

>honestly my biggest challenge with fasting is BOREDOM
This. Im only 48 hrs in and im not hungry but the boredom has me dreaming of handfuls of peanuts and chunks of cheese.

B-but I'm not gay, I'm a girl ;_;

Yeah usually i sleep like 8-9hrs, now im 3 days in fasting and i can sleep like 4-5hrs MAX

>B-but I'm not gay, I'm a girl ;_;

im now getting 5-7 hours daily, waking up early feels pretty good desu and I still have a lot of energy

No, same here, but getting up at 4AM and being wide awake until midnight is still pretty annoying.

I have some really shitty grainy photos of my 10 day water only fast I did a while back if anyone wants to see. Lost about 13kg (i think). Walked about 8-10km every day and did 50% of my normal routine (volume). I started out pretty fat, then just kinda trap mode.

Yash, let us see.

I've progressed pretty well even though I say so myself, but losing 13kg from a 10 day water fast is pretty amazing.

How much did you regain in water?

aight gonna remove the exif data

I wish I wrote this stuff down. I didn't follow any protocol, biggest problem were electrolytes and dehydration like you mention.

Shit like this annoys me though...

Current advice on reducing hypertension (high blood pressure) from the US NIH. No wonder Americans are getting fatter than ever with no end in sight.

"If you need to lose weight, it’s important to do so slowly. Lose no more than 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week. Begin with a goal of losing 10 percent of your current weight. This is the healthiest way to lose weight and offers the best chance of long-term success.

There’s no magic formula for weight loss. You have to eat fewer calories than you use up in daily activities. Just how many calories you burn daily depends on factors such as your body size and how physically active you are. (See box 5.)

One pound equals 3,500 calories. So, to lose 1 pound a week, you need to eat 500 calories a day less or burn 500 calories a day more than you usually do. It’s best to work out some combination of both eating less and being more physically active."

nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/hbp_low.pdf

anyway im kinda embarrassed how I looked so I'm just gonna bail

That's actually a really good look for you bro.

Well done. I'm jelly!

No homo though.

Well done, user

can anybody recommend water soluble multivitamins you can get at walmart? i want to start my first fast soon and based on what i've gathered, i guess i'll need them. pills don't break fast, right?

>water soluble multivitamins
It's not the form the multivitamins come in, it's the nature of the vitamins themselves.

There are a total of nine water-soluble vitamins: the B vitamins -- folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 -- and vitamin C.

Everything else is fat soluble, so if you're eating them while fasting then you're just pissing it away, literally.

Join the club. I do it every day.

2lbs a week and i get upset if I don't lose 2lbs a day wow

I have a question
Im 1.80m, 78kg
I used to be very active, but my life changed and stopped doing so much exercise, so some of those kg went from muscle to fat
Im not sure, but if I had to estimate, i would say I am ~22% body fat
I do bodyweight and have some dumbbells at home, nothing much.
If I fast and keep doing the exercises im used to, will I lose muscle?
As for fasting, im thinking about going 2 meals (lunch and dinner). Is it enough?

>/ OMAW+165hr Fasting dude
Post body

so what do i do? i have my salt and nosalt for serpent water if that's all i need to start.

I know exactly what you mean. I had 4-days of water retention and I was climbing the walls in frustration when the scale didn't move by more than 0.1KG the whole four days, then it was like more than a kilo a day for the next few.

Fasting is some weird shit.

Current rate at the end of Week 11 is 2.9KG / 6.4lbs a week, which is about 0.4KG / 0.9lbs a day.

I'm okay with that, it gets me to my goals during April / May time. I'll be able to buy that shorty wetsuit to show off my streamline bod this summer.

Then time to start making gains.

>If I fast and keep doing the exercises im used to, will I lose muscle?

No. We had a big scientific debate in /fast/ #119 about this. Feel free to browse the links.

>Post body
Funnily enough the last time I did that, some cunt reposted them with cruel remarks attached, so I'm reluctant to do that again anytime soon.

This fast I've been losing 0.7-0.9kg/day and I'm scared as fuck it'll start going slower but some user in the last thread posted about soft fat and water retention and I'm a bit more calm. In other fasts the moment I started losing 0.2kg/day I just refed hoping to restart the speed.

>hurt feelings
>being this new to fourchain

>so what do i do? i have my salt and nosalt for serpent water if that's all i need to start.

Just start. Don't worry about potassium and sodium until you reach day 4.

Even then you probably don't need it if you've had a reasonable diet full of potassium and sodium previously.

The Snake Juice thing is not a meme, but it's importance is over exaggerated with regards to relatively short fasting periods unless you are drinking >3 litres of water per day.

It's actually one of the reasons I've cut back on my water intake, so I'm not flushing out my micronutrients.

Sure, I'm quite thirsty, but my urine is at a quite a low level, not cloudy albeit darker than it would be normally.

Fasting is about compromise and this is the level I'm comfortable with. No obvious aches and pains of potential deficiency issues thus far, nearly 12 weeks in.

>soft fat and water retention
Yeah. I've had that twice now.

Fucking hate it, but it is what it is.

leangains.com/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part-one/

cool thanks dude. i've been trying to get a gallon of water every day too so i guess i'll need to mix some up to deal with that.

I'm taking aquaban herbal for water retention and it's been going pretty well for me atm. It's been when I stopped taking it regularly when I stop losing weight so imma keep going with it.

You've read the ingredients?

What Aquaban Herbal contains
The active substances per tablet are:
Uva Ursi leaf (Arctostaphylos uva ursi (L.)
Spreng folium)...........................................................75mg
Clivers herb (Galium aparine L. herba )........75mg
Burdock Root (Arctium lappa L. radix) .........50mg
The other ingredients are:
Core: Magnesium Stearate, Maize Starch, Parsley, Pregelatinised Maize Starch, Silicon Dioxide, Sucrose.

Coating: Acacia, White Beeswax, Calcium Carbonate, Carnauba Wax, Ethanol, Yellow Iron Oxide, Shellac, Shellac Varnish, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide.

Your call obviously...

Idrc, my cigs have worse things and i still smoke

Well at least Aquaban won't give you cancer. If it works for you that is all that matters. I've become increasingly adverse to drugs and packaged meds (even "herbal" one's) from the medical / pharmaceutical industry.

>As for fasting, im thinking about going 2 meals (lunch and dinner). Is it enough?

How much weight do you actually want to lose is the real question and how far will you go to do it?

Some here don't eat for weeks on end and despite the boredom, it's pretty damn easy. In fact the hardest part is getting family and friends to accept what you're doing (they are generally resistant to actively hostile).

The ones that do the best tend to be those who are not currently in a relationship, since they have the least bullshit to deal with.

Obviously if you're married or living with someone that is a whole other matter.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / 18.3st / BMI 38 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 91.8kg / 202.4 lbs / 14.5st / BMI 30 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Lost: 24.2kg / 53.3lbs / 3.8st / 20.9% Body Weight

Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / 10.6st / BMI 22 "Healthy" / Projected to hit around Mid April 2018
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / 9.4st / BMI 20 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Early May 2018
Stretch Target 2: 55.4KG / 122.1lbs / 8.7st / BMI 18.5 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Late May 2018

TDEE: 2,095
Calorific deficit: -1,949 per day / -13,643 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
OMAW: Usually 4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille, but not always -> 1,022 Calories

gets results tho

Traps aren't girls user

What are the most vitamins and metals dense foods?
Liver tastes like shit. Any better foods?

everyday is suffering for me

if I could make it

everything would be rad

Make some chicken liver mousse, tastes great.
Or just buy tinned liver pate. Also great.

>tfw christpill x fastpill

>Unlike these other fuckers I've trained over 30 fat lazy piece of shit ham planet fucks with fasting
This is exactly the kind of thing psuedoscience snake meme man says

It's pretty great. It's given me the motivation to write my biblical philosophy book that I've wanted to for a long time.

isn't 5:2 fast 5 days of eating normal and 2 days of eating 25% of your usual daily intake?

It's a bit more flexible than that, The 2 days of fasting can be together (Sat/Sun) or separate (Tue/Thu) and also the amount of calories eaten on fast days is flexible, but should be no more than 500 calories (could, probably should be zero).

It's an attempt to make fasting appeal to the middle class fatties (like myself I guess), who need it most.

It does kind of work if you are not wanting to lose weight in a hurry or are just looking for weight maintenance and I found it a good introduction to fasting, but no more than that.

Can i lift fasted? Or is it bettrr to break fast b4 /after lifting

> my biblical philosophy book that I've wanted to for a long time.
That's interesting, what's it about?

Given that there's 3,500 calories in a kilogram of fat I can take my TDEE and work out how many kilos I should be losing each day if I just don't eat, right?

It's a deconstruction of the metaphors and meanings of every book of the bible, chapter by chapter. It's a little long-winded (the deconstruction of Genesis 1 is like 3 pages long) but it's what I want so far.

i personally like lifting fasted best, always feel sluggish after eating.

>3,500 calories in a kilogram of fat
It's 3,500 per pound of fat.

But the rate of fat loss from water fasting is variable. It starts off really high as most of it is water weight then it settles down to a more sedate pace.

Rule of thumb is 0.75lbs per day if you are under 200lbs and 1lb+ per day if you are over 200lbs.

As you lose weight the TDEE changes incrementally, so that if you are looking at a really low weight level of weight for your height then squeezing those last 10lbs of fat out can be a real challenge although dry fasting is useful in this area.

So how much do you weigh, how tall are you, what is your body fat %-age and what is your target weight?

so a commentary? btw what denom are you

Who else here had to buy new pants because of fasting?

Not the poster, but supposing I want to go from 66 kilos to 60 kilos, or going to 18% to roughly 12% of bodyfat, being 5' 5", what should I do? Thanks in advance

because of all the diarrhea?

I was 22% going for 10 (16 atm) do water fasting for 3-4 days, refeed, then start going for 5-7 days with one day of refeed. You'll lose the 6 kilos in 1-2weeks in my experience

Was on the outermost belt hole before this, now i gotta buy a smaller one.

I'd start with doing a water fast for as long as you can no more than about a week to 10 days should do it if your lucky.

You'll see some rebound when you start eating carbs again because of water retention due to glycogen, then just rinse and repeat.

If you get stuck (i.e. weight doesn't shift for 3-4 days) then you might need to do intermittent 48 hour dry fasts to get the weight down to where you want it to be.

Getting into single digits is notoriously hard, but 12% should be easily doable.

Also our weight will jump a kilo or kilo and a half after refeeding but dw it's just water

I live with my girlfriend
I don't think I need to go that far, im 1.80m/78kg
Im not fat, im just looking for a away to shed some kg while not losing muscle. I want to keep doing my normal routine without muscle loss

Raised roman catholic. My personal interpretation is more eclectic.

Only half way to my goal at the moment and my tailor made suit trousers, which used to fit nicely now look like clown pants.

What they will look like after I've lost another 11 inches at the waist I have no idea.

Yup that is the pan I used to cook pasta in. Not gonna be using that anymore either.

I'm down to sweat pants, but even they have a lower limit, since the cord at the waist will only tie so tight.

Going to have to buy some smaller ones.

If I don't get potassium in while fasting I get crazy abdominal cramps. Probably because I do a lot of high intensity cardio. If you are actually active/play sports and are fasting for more than 24hrs then yes you need your fucking minerals.

Halfway to Monday night lads
Looking lean already, 5kg down since Thursday

How do you guys deal with the fact that simply thinking about or smelling food makes your insulin spike?

HEY FATTY

I hope nobody here is dumb enough to listen to random people on Veeky Forums recommending you to stop drinking water for 10 days.

>stop drinking water for 10 days

Yeah, Cole is really fucked up doing that for 10-days, max I ever advocate for dry fasting is 48 hours with a rehydration period in between any further fasts.

Others here have done longer, but as I say, there are risks involved.

Thank you very much guys!

So I want to complete a two week fast

1.) Will that be enough time to stomp my cravings or should I go longer
2.) Once I'm done with the extended fast what diet should I do? I've tried to do Keto ADF and Keto OMAD but my digestive tract doesn't agree with either of those

There is NO point and NO benefit to ever do a dry fast, outside of bodybuilding competition/special type of surgery. That's it, period. Casually recommending people to stop drinking water for 48 hours is fucking retarded and you should know better as a 51 year old person.

Fast until you're really hungry then eat until you're not. Repeat

>t. Never healed my ailments with dry fasting

Are the people who long fast all overweight or obese? I'm currently 180lbs at 6'4" and am considering doing a few days to a week fast to make the cut faster.

Don't be a fucking wuss.

48 hour dry fasts have their place when you are trying to get under 12% body fat or alternately are trying to get rid of leftover lumps of fat from major weight loss that you can't shift through water fasting.

Just because you are too weak or chickenshit to try it is no reason not to at least say those options exist and I usually give the caveats about limiting to 48 hours and only doing it if water fasting is no longer getting you where you need to go.

So fuck you dude!

at 180lbs 6'4" what are u trying to cut?

dude you're anorexic

there's still a little brain mass to lose

kek and checked

just a friendly reminder that this is who a lot of you are taking fitness and nutrition advice from, literally a obese guy in his 50s spending 10+ hours a day in one general.