/fast/ #121 - This is who you're listening to edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg
>Tumors
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

You didn't have a better pic to post dude?

Idiot! Don't start a new thread before the other one reaches bump-limit. Can even wait until it reaches page 9.
MODs can (and should) delete multiple generals.

Reminder Snake Man literally did nothing wrong and we need to gas all tripniggers.

This is the tripfag you're all cock-sucking and drooling over his snake-juice-cole-worship-shilling saggy gut.

This is the guy who thinks that ketostixx are a good enough indicator to prove whether or not you've been knocked out of ketosis.

Last day of a 5 day fast. Anything I should do today to maximize benefits?

Yea, don't stop at 5 days.

Last half hour of my first 18 hour fast. It felt super good and felt minimal hunger. Next weekend I'll go on and try a 24 hour fast to see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help you guys provide.

this is the real diet chart actually

>diet chart
Cool, mine was a fasting chart not a diet chart.

How does this mode even happen?

If you feel good why are you stopping?

I have to go back to work tomorrow and I am a cook so it kinda difficult when I have to taste my food.

So, stop tomorrow and not now. Also get better at following your recipies so you don't have to taste your food.

Last day as in the last day I am fasting and tomorrow I stop.

>following recipes

>tfw can't fast today because drinking with a friend I haven't seen in a while.

Should I just drink and not eat? It's just gonna be whiskey and water, I think I'll manage on just water

wait so keto isn't /fast/ approved?

I thought keto and fasting were a hand in hand kind of deal

You said "last half hour" not last day, so... now you're a dumb nigger in my mind and will stay fat anyway.

/keto/ is for bried refeeds between long fasts... but if you spike your insulin once a day you aren't fasting.

Read the post chain and realize that it is you who are the dumb nigger.

What about keto with occasional fasting?

>post chain
Yeap, you're a retarded nigger. Cya

someone's been fasting for too long
your brain needs sugar

This is how saggy skin is manufactured.
>fast weight loss - autophagy
You were warned.

is 24h fast /week enough for health benefits? or should I do 48h?
by health benefits I mean I don't care about losing weight

Everytime I try something new with my body I try to take it easy at the start.

I'll work myself up to 72 hours a week in a month or two.

>what is gluconeogenesis?

Cool enjoy staying fat as fuck when you ask, "why isn't this working" the answer is you're fasting like a pussy.

>GF's parents are in town, always treats us both to good food
>Eat a huge lunch, followed by "fika", followed by huge dinner
>Wake up the next morning still filled
>"I'll figure i'll just delve into this problem and then have breakfast"
>15 hours later with a break for lifting its time to go to bed
>2 days later...

Feels pretty good when you are at the point that you sometimes forget to eat. 72 hours tomorrow morning without any hunger, and only a spat of headache the first evening.
Thanks guys, If i keep this pace I reckon my gut will be gone in 1-2 months.

You only have to worry about snake-oil if you get the jitters right?

>You only have to worry about snake-oil if you get the jitters right?
If you're going longer periods without eating food. 72's will easily turn into 4-5 day fasts with no hunger or headaches, snake potions empower you to go longer.

Alright I'm new to all this so just tell me now, because I'm a little chubby and would like to burn it all off. I did a four day fast last week but quit because I was unprepared and started feeling sick from bad supplementing. As long as i can do it right next time and don't start shaking, do you really just not eat and supplement until you've lost all your bf and any extra skin goes away with It? Once I'm at the point where I've lost all i need to lose, can I switch over to keto to maintain my body?

I'm not fat at all (65kg at 170cm). I'm interested in fasting mainly because of the autophagy and reducing my bf% a bit.

Sick projecting though, user.

>namefag bullued so hard he left
Jej

>last day of my first 7 day fast
Went grocery shopping today. FUCK am I excited to eat tomorrow.

The best condiment is hunger.

Congrats on the successful fast user.

what's the longer I can go without hindering my lifting progress?

It feels like a superpower to have no food and not be worried about it desu. Extremely liberating.

>sick from bad supplementing
Supplements on an empty stomach will make you feel sick. You don't need supplements. Drink salt water.

I see nothing to indicate you being a pussy was incorrect.

Sounds like you're setting yourself up to overeat. Don't fuck up your gains.

I'm on day four of my first long term fast. I'm shooting for a fourteen day fast but I won't be too upset if I don't make it the first time. I've been doing OMAD for a couple months and I think that really helped me prepare for a long term fast. My plan is to do a long fast, break it with soup for a day and then two days of keto with as many leafy greens as I can eat and stay within 25 carbs a day, then back to another long term fast. I have about 50 pounds to lose before I'm a normal BMI.

Don't worry about taking it slow, if I went from a standard American diet to a long term fast I would be so miserable I'd probably have to call in sick for work. OMAD really helped me cope with hunger.

People say to drink a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, I tried that and it made me ravenously hungry for six hours or so. Not doing that again. I've been taking salt for headaches and the mild angina I got.

>This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

Is this actually true? And if you don't lose muscle, is it actually possible to gain muscle while fasting?

the only benefit of 24h and 48h fasting is that you waste less time eating
the real benefits of fasting come only after 1+ week, where the autophagy starts to kick in and start killing your cancer cells

>fasting
>gains

uh user

you know eating after fast doesnt feel good its just like meh i couldve just continued

>obsessed

the delusion begins ITT

>gaining mass out of thin air

EAT BIG TO GET BIG

is that really so hard to understand

This is so true. You want to feast but you feel full almost immediately.

We need to reomve that from the OP.
No you cannot gain muscle on a water fast.

True, "muscle sparing" is not "anabolic" though that is all the op means

I just took a fairly large very greasy shit. What is this made of if not food? Am I literally shitting out my body fat or what?

>Mummy knows I'm losing weight
>Makes me my favourite food (spaghetti bolognese
>Eat way too much over 3-4 days of spaghetti and left over spaghetti
>Progress halted and reversed
>On day 2 of what is meant to be a week long fast to recover from spaghetti binge
>Its her birthday in a few days

Give me strength lads

When did you last eat? If it was only 2-3 days ago its just your last meal.

260lb and going for my first 7 day fast this week boys. Will not fail. Hope I lose 5+ lb and it's tolerable enough for me to want to continue

Post moms tits please

Ketofag needs to grow his fucking pubes out (if he even can. Apparently diabetes causes you to be hairless)

People are so god damn annoying when losing weight. I have had like 8 people tell me I am getting too skinny and should eat something. I am still 6lbs overweight and flabby. So close to being normal weight range.

It's the fate of all tripfags

5 days. I also haven't eaten anything greasy in at least 2 weeks.

>is it actually possible to gain muscle while fasting?

you're attacking OMAW yet you have nothing to say about innawoods? you're attacking a guy who promotes fasting and tries to help people or at least have congenial conversation in each thread

I don't know why I come here, it's like you people want these threads to get worse and worse

don't listen to this OP he's a butthurt nigger

innawoods is also a fag

Some people just wanna watch the world burn.

What's the best way to down snake juice? Can I drink it all in 1L and then drink more water or do I need to thin out the juice across everything I drink?

You're living the Hansel and Gretel nightmare, faggot. Your mom is afraid you're going to leave her and indulges the worst parts of you to nurture your dependency on her.

Get away from her lovecurse.

My mom used to make this amazing chicken Alfredo bake every time she knew I was dieting and coming over to visit. Had to tell her I wasn't bringing the grandkids over if she was going to make it.

Not cool guys!

>OMAW detected

I just sip on it. Some people in this thread suggest making it really really cold, it definitely helps

Drink it throughout the day. If you try to chug it all at once you're going to piss and shit your brains out.

OMAWKetobro I know you’re reading this because you’re on these threads constantly.

You rock. You keep the threads moving answering dumb faggots questions with sources and a positive attitude. Fuck the haters. You keep doing you bro. You’ve helped me out more than you could know.
Fast on Ketobro.

This. Keto bro is the only good tripfag here

This. I live alone, but my mom comes by every now and then and cooks a meal because she's worried about my fasting and my keto diet. I eat it out of respect, I'm /skinny/ already so it's not that big of an issue. She uses the groceries I bought btw, so at least I know what's in it

Is it normal to get really bad BO while fasting?

Gotcha. Why I ask is because I go to a private high school and they flip shit about having no clear water bottles and my tablets make the water kinda cloudy. I usually go through 1.5-2.5L a day.

I'd just stuff it in my bag and drink it between periods or whatever.

>private high school
must be nice

Any of you on IF experience a hard time staying asleep?

I'm about 2 months into it and loving how lean I'm getting but I'm lucky to manage anything over 5 hours of sleep a night.

Depends on your time scale
Possible to be fasting and gaining muscle

It's more likely that your diet change made your odor change too, and you're just not as used to it, so it seems "worse".

Unless it smells actually sickly, I wouldn't worry about it user.

I can't wait to be done with long fasts so I can bulk up using my new fasting knowledge to make lean gains

Enjoy your mother's cooking.

Mine passed away last year and now I'm skinny as fuck since my food will never taste as good as hers.

same but all i have to do is lose weight then ill just fast 2-3 times a week to keep my weight

Define "fasting" If you mean IF or OMAD then yes

>"Define fasting"
Lol retard

I dont think you understood my point you fucking moron

is autophagy a process that really works on loose skin? has anyone ever posted real pictures of results, or is it just a meme?

i plan to do some sort of fasting tomorrow. could i dry fast till friday or so? just to get rid of all the carbs in my system so i can start over and go on an egg only/protein shake diet for a while to lose weight and get my protein. i just hope i have the willpower to really do this.

I'm sure you didn't understand mine you fucking simpleton

does this make me the Joker? or Harvey Dent?

Is your goal to look like a twink or an athlete?

Is it a good idea to do keto before starting a fast to make it less shocking to your system? Like, a week of keto and then fasting. Because I don't think I can just go from consuming carbs to nothing but potassium water without an extreme urge to eat.

>doing water fast
>decide to make one day a dry fast on day 6
>tongue has probably 3x more white shit on it when i just checked tonight
whom /detox/ here?

>get my protein
Skip it. Seriously. Autophagy is regulated by mTOR which is downregulated in the presence of dietary carbohydrates or protein. You would literally be preventing autophagy by consuming this shit.

Your loose skin isn't too far gone and you should see some pretty good results with some light dry fasting. It's not something that I suggest too frequently because of the risks associated with it. But with a careful sensible approach you should be fine. 2-3 days here and there should help bring it under control. You Could also bennefit from plain old water fasting since you have a decent amount of visceral organ fat going on.

>losing weight doesn't work in the long run if you're still eating

that's not detox, stop taking advice from youtuber gamers

just weighed myself, lost 13.4lbs since my start of the fast, on day 9 right now, im so happy

Attempting to go keto before a fast when you're not fat adapted will just draw out the carb flu longer. By jumping right into it you'll push through that metabolic haze quicker than if you're supplementing with exogenous protein and carbohydrate energy.

In teh fat fucks I train I encourage fat consumption on the first two or three days of fasts until their body acclimates to the transition. The consumption of pure fat will have no metabolic effect on the fasting state what-so-ever. Things like butter, MCT, or even coconut oil will raise and inflate your serum ketone levels while your body starts processing fat.

The primary cause behind this lag in energy transition, and therefore the grogginess and fog is the insulin/glucagon system. In the presence of Insulin, Glucagon is prevented from triggering fat cells to dump out their lipid goodness into the blood stream. Having been so carb fed, and probably insulin resistant to some degree...Your body has more insulin floating around than glucagon can overcome. Once your blood sugar starts to normalize and your body has no more need for any extra and stop pushing it into the blood your fat cells start to respond to glucagon.

By taking in exogenous fat for the body to dump into the blood irrespective of insulin/glucagon/bloodsugar, you're going around this bottleneck in the transition period. You'll feel a difference in your fast suddenly and that's when you can quit supplementing fat.