Is there any actual medical evidence (don't give me fucking anecdotes or pictures) that low-carb/keto diets result in...

Is there any actual medical evidence (don't give me fucking anecdotes or pictures) that low-carb/keto diets result in more fat loss than diets with higher carb intake ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL?

The argument is that if you don't eat carbs then energy will will be produced from fat stores, but the food you eat will still be converted to energy and fat even if it's 100% protein and fat so what's the difference?

I just can't take seriously a cult (let's be honest, it is) that advocates eating as much lard and red meat as you want but to stay away from fruit and vegetables. Yes let's ignore the only few facts in medicine that we actually know to be true and eat butter for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S155041311400062X
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4254277/
youtube.com/watch?v=H4TGzEDkpjo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I take it as no. Wonderful.

Its because fat and protein are extremely satiating. Sugar and simple carbs encourage hunger and inflammation. So it stands to reason removing them would make it easier to lose weight.

the only thing that matters for weight loss or weight gain is total calories. whether they come from carbs or fat or protein is irrelevant.

that being said, carbs are easy to eat and fast to digest, while fat and especially protein are slow to digest and fill you up a lot more.
thats why low carb meals can make it easier to feel satiated while eating low calories.

So I was right, there's no difference other than hunger. Sounds like the diet is aimed at people with an addiction, because normal people I know (non-obese people) don't have a problem maintain wait even though they eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes every day.

>the only thing that matters for weight loss or weight gain is total calories
That's only one half of the equation, the other half is calories out. This isn't as simple as working out your TDEE with those shitty online calculators, because TDEE is also affected by the food you eat (certain eating patterns can raise or lower your metabolism, which in turn raises or lowers your metabolism).

Also I specifically said FAT loss, not weight loss. Calories in/out doesn't deal with body composition, it deals with mass and energy. This is a very simplistic view of nutrition.

No, like i said Sugar and simple carbs are horrible for you. They promote inflamation and are almost completely devoid of nutrition.
>the only thing that matters for weight loss or weight gain is total calories. whether they come from carbs or fat or protein is irrelevant.
wrong

yeah there is. you lose less muscle too, meaning overall weight loss is the same when controlled for calories.

youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

tl;dr low carb diets are easier to follow and more effective

no, why would they? if you eat the same amount of calories you will burn the same amount of fat

If you're going to say its wrong site a source you cumstain

he doesn't hjave one, he's not wrong, if a certain kind of food causes you inflammation you are basically allergic to it and shouldn't consume it, but everybody is different

there is no physiological evidence for sugar or simple carbs being bad for every human

Gluconeogenesis is more inflammatory than carbohydrate intake (not sugars, I don't know why you keep saying sugars when we're talking about actual food and not toxic chemicals)

Eating 2000 calories of flour will give you a different body composition than a balanced diet. Do you really think a bodybuilder would look exactly the same no matter what he ate? Remember, I said fat loss. FAT, not weight.

No, there isn't. It's just fatties not being able to control themselves.

>Gluconeogenesis is more inflammatory than carbohydrate intake
no it isnt
And most americans eat a shit load of added sugar dude
>there is no physiological evidence for sugar or simple carbs being bad for every human
They are nearly cpmipletely devoid of nutrition. And table sugar is half fructose which when it doesnt have fruit fiber along with it is very bad for your liver.

>I dont understand how insulin works the post

>fat and protein are extremely satiating
Ketofag here. Fat is not satiating because it's so calorie dense. Protein, on the other hand, is. Which is where most of the satiating power on a keto diet comes from.

>The argument is that if you don't eat carbs then energy will will be produced from fat stores, but the food you eat will still be converted to energy and fat even if it's 100% protein and fat so what's the difference?
Because your body still operates on CICO. The idea is that gearing your metabolism to burn fat makes it easier for it to dip into fat stores when you're at a calorie deficit. You can still do that on a high carb diet (again, CICO) but keto may give you a little (maybe 5-10%) efficiency boost.

5%-10% may not be a lot in one day, but for fatties that are going to have to cut for months, it adds up

>no it isnt
I'm gonna post this and then leave you because you don't know what you're on about.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S155041311400062X
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4254277/

This is all pointless because people have different genetics anyway, if you want you can try to cut down carbs and see how you feel. I am not on keto specifically I just eat a low amount of carbs ie I rarely eay pasta or rice etc but I have no problem eating vegetables and fruit and I have made better gains and feel better since doing so. It's all anecdotal and you should just do what works for you.

>Is there any actual medical evidence (don't give me fucking anecdotes or pictures) that low-carb/keto diets result in more fat loss than diets with higher carb intake ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL?
no, but there is evidence that they lead to the same amount of fat loss

Wasn't it just released last year that the American government health board documents showing low carb was the way to lose the most weigh?
>the country pushing the food pyramid

Most diets work, the real problem is that people don't stick to it. People try their best to throw all sorts of information to make their case their diet is the best and/or other diets suck dick, it doesn't matter what you do if there's no consistency. You just need to ask yourself one simple question: Will I keep eating like this for the next decade and so on?

too much diet research is done on obese individuals to really draw a conclusion from. If you're talking about obese individuals, all diets work on them. if you're talking about a Veeky Forums person who just wants to shed some pounds to get really lean..well, there's not a lot of studies out there on the best diets for them.

There is evidence for an above average availability of protein leading to better preservation of muscle tissue during weight loss, relative to a more carbohydrate oriented diet.

Because you are stuck working with a fixed amount of calories, that ultimately becomes a choice between a diet with more of one or the other. Another matter is that simple sugars, in particular, tend to provide plenty of calories without equivalent lasting bulk, leading to less apparent satiation.

If I recall correctly, the argument for a ketonic diet, as originally conceived, involved the notion that the body's ability to process macronutrients was compromised in a diet bereft of carbohydrates, but I've never seen any proper evidence for it.

That said, a diet is something you have to maintain for your entire life, even if the argument for a ketonic diet happens to have some basis, having to critically rely on a technicality to maintain weight seems to me like an excellent indicator of which a person will not in fact manage to stay in shape throughout their life, even if said technicality is effective.

This guy switched to a Keto diet and look at him now.

>Fat is not satiating because it's so calorie dense
this doesnt even make sense
No you dont friend. Reducing protein and gluconeogenesis arent the same thing at all.

keto is poison for brain stop falling for memes

Sure it does user.
Higher calorie density -> smaller portions compared to protein/carbs -> less eaten -> longer time for energy absorption -> lower satiety

>(certain eating patterns can raise or lower your metabolism, which in turn raises or lowers your metabolism).

lol

>satiety
I dont think you understand what that word means

There is no difference.

Going on a keto diet forces people to be stricter and hence they get weight loss. If you leave people to their own devices on a regular diet, they generally fail. This is more due to a lack of willpower than anything else.

So why did it help with my brain fog and sweets cravings?

keto diet is retarded.. grain is good for test production.. only hipsters do stoopid fad diets..

real lifters wouldnt be on keto

youtube.com/watch?v=H4TGzEDkpjo

>Its because fat and protein are extremely satiating. Sugar and simple carbs encourage hunger and inflammation.
Don't forget that "fat" and "protein" and "carbs" can't accurately be used as all-encompassing phrases. Some fats and proteins are good, some fats and proteins are bad. Some carbs are good, some carbs are bad. If your reason for eating keto was that "sugar and simple carbs encourage hunger and inflammation" and you didn't think "I should exchange simple carbs for complex carbs" then that's just retarded.

Explain it to us, doctor.

Where'd you hear that?

Ill agree with this, but even still most people wont actually do a 1 for 1 swap. Its harder to overeat on complex carbs than simple. Chances are youll be eating for less carbs.
"no"
But you can read a book like I did if you want.

There's little.

What you say about 'the few facts in medicine we know to be true' is also wrong though- the idea that consuming fat causes heart disease has been seriously called into question. Listen to the BJSM podcast on it and do some journal reading.

Seems like you don't know what you're talking about dude. If anything, fibrous carbohydrate sources like oats and vegetables have a high thermic effect when compared to fat, leading to less energy being available for storage after metabolic processes. While fat may have negligible impact on insulin, any protein ingested along with it WILL have an insulin response. Even assuming you're eating just oil, constantly elevated free tryglicerides will wreak havoc on your body and lower insulin sensitivity

>any protein ingested along with it WILL have an insulin response.
I didnt say it wouldnt but the response compared to simple carbs is nowhere near.
> constantly elevated free tryglicerides will wreak havoc on your body and lower insulin sensitivity
Source?
>If anything, fibrous carbohydrate sources like oats and vegetables have a high thermic effect when compared to fat, leading to less energy being available for storage after metabolic processes
I never said that isnt true? Maybe i wasnt clear what i meant.

Google FFA and insulin resistance if you want more info