SS got me a 200+ Press, 300+ Bench, 400+ Squat, 500+ Deadlift and 25 max chin-ups

SS got me a 200+ Press, 300+ Bench, 400+ Squat, 500+ Deadlift and 25 max chin-ups.

After half a decade of lifting I still run using SS methods, I still lift and squat MWF. I do some bro stuff after I get my 2 main 3x5 stuff done, then I move onto Max Chin-ups or 1x5 Deadlifts, then I do any isolations I want after that, usually involves Curls, Lateral Raises, Dips, Chest or Shoulder Presses, maybe some Shrugs, Rows or Extensions.

That said I have developed a well rounded muscular body and I am stronger than the vast majority of lifters in the world.

That said, why does SS get so much shit? It’s a really great base to build your own more advanced routine on.

I assume the hate is directed towards the dirt aspects that rip suggests? That I would agree with it’s not a good idea to eat 5000 calories/day of milk, I would never do that. But the base routine itself is outstanding. It works better than anything else I have tried.

You know you can also change Low Bar Squats for High Bar Squats, right? SS still works with Highbar, infact I feel like it works better.

See you don’t need to follow 100% of SS, fuck the gomad off, do High Bar instead of Low Bar, add some isolations at the end of the base routine, and bang, you have a god tier routine that you do run forever.

Other urls found in this thread:

whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It gets so much shit because people don't read it. Everyone seems to think SS = GOMAD for half a year and following the first routine in the book with no accessories forever. The book goes into detail on who GOMAD is for and how long, and when to change the routine and add accessories. Also a fantastic resource for form. If people actually read the book it'd get a lot less hate imo.

Because people still buy into commercial bullshit pushed by the retards and BB forum and PTs.

I've only ever managed to convince one of my many friends of the benefits of a X5 routine. The rest stuck with some split template crap, and they still look the same and blame their genetics for their shortcomings. I love my bros but it's infuriating when they come to me for advice, and then disregard it when I offer them routine advice - "Oh that won't work" I often hear. Right, so you ask me how I got so big then disregard my information as false.

I really don't know how to solve this problem.

*dabs*

>See you don’t need to follow 100% of SS, fuck the gomad off, do High Bar instead of Low Bar, add some isolations at the end of the base routine, and bang, you have a god tier routine that you do run forever.
This.

Pdf link anyone?
>pls

>That said
>That said
You didnt use that phrase correctly either time, brainlet.

Also post your body, nobody cares about your narrative if you cant back it up.

>See you don’t need to follow 100% of SS, fuck the gomad off, do High Bar instead of Low Bar, add some isolations at the end of the base routine, and bang, you have a god tier routine that you do run forever.

I have been on Veeky Forums for a decade and I can say this is easily top 5 best information posted on here.

honestly i just went into the gym and started doing what made sense to do and at 4 months now im starting to look pretty decently cut, and i havent dropped weight. have been doing 5 sets of compounds recently though

Newb here
What should one add for SS to be a perfect all around workout including rear and back shoulders, bicep etc?
I’ve tried to get my own plan together but shit just doesn’t work out and I always have imbalances in there.

>Also post your body, nobody cares about your narrative if you cant back it up.

Using that logic do you constantly switch routines based on the aesthetics of the person talking? You must program hop a lot if you use that logic since you’d be running into tons of people doing all kinds of retarded shit, and even they would be doing something different every time you look at them.

whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf

>chin ups
>pull ups
>weighted crunches
>weighted dips
and pic related are what I do

you got to 400+ pound squat on linear progression? How many times did you stall/ had to deload trying to get there trying to add weight every workout? Seems inefficient to me why not switch to something like texas method?

It's only $10 Abraham

It’s very easy to add what u need mate.

SS is very small, example

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench (or Press)
1x5 Deadlift (or 3xMax bodyweight Chin-ups)

You can do whatever hell you want after that, there’s nothing set. The only set part about the routine that is set in stone is your first 3 exercises which have very very very little volume. Those main 3 lifts you do on A or B are just the base of your routine. You can do all the bro lifts you want after that. You have to remember you’re getting a day rest between each time you lift (and 2 days on weekends) so you have plenty of room for recovery so feel free to pound out all the isolations/accessories you feel like doing after your main 3 base lifts are performed.

>SS got me a 200+ Press, 300+ Bench, 400+ Squat, 500+ Deadlift
congratulations on your outlier strength genetics and extremely atypical progress on a novice linear progression routine

don't waste it, compete in PL or something

I didn’t stall at all to get 200/300/400/500

I am 5’8, started at 24.5, 143 . Now I am 30, 180 and LEANER than I was at 143lbs. I didn’t have abs at 143, 5.5 years ago. Now I have abs at 180.

I discovered that Meal timing plays a huge role in strength progression, eating very large meals the night before a training day is what gives consistent progress.

My calories and carb intake on Sunday night, Tuesday night and Thursday night are far greater than on other days. I train in the mornings, I wake up on those training days FULL due to the previous nights increased intake of carbs and overall calories. On training days I bring calories down as there’s residual calories in my system from the over feeding on the night before.

The whole point of the meal timing like this is to ensure I am going into every session overfed. You don’t get fat doing this because as I mentioned you eat less on the actual training day to equal out total calorie intake over the course of a week. Food/meal timing is strictly used for performance maximisation.

Why SS fags need so much validation, tho

I Forgot to mention, the reason I believe people stall and fail so easily on SS is because their meal timing and total calorie intake is not done in a calculated autistic way, you can’t just eat a normal amount of food the night before a training session and expect to go in and continue progressing to the 300/400/500 mark.

The broscience guys actually RNG’d their findings of how important meal timing is. Fuck the science guys who made fun of them and said it didn’t matter. Meal timing is HUGE for performance reasons.

Question.

I'm a cut currently and still doing SL. I'm starting to lag on my squats. I'm not sure if it's fatigue or what.

Should I just got back to SS since volume is lower? I'm trying to minimize the strength lost while on a cut. I have 25lbs to go.

What?

I'm just looking for confirmation that you appear to lift as much as you say. I want to see what a 600lb deadlifter looks like. Now show me big boy ;^)

Post body with time stamp please.

If you followed SS for 5 years doing 3 workouts a week consistently adding 5 pounds to your squat every workout then you would be squatting 3900 pounds now. You obviously can't follow SS linear progression for 5 years.

That's not SS you're doing then, not even close to it.

>he think SS is strictly a 12 week novice routine and nothing else

This is the misinformation spreading that makes SS look bad

Yes it is. SS is HIGHLY customisable after youve finished the first 12 weeks.

ACTUALLY READ THE FUCKING BOOK

>PTs
>"So with this [leg press machine], the thing is it takes your quads through a full range of motion, unlike a squat. You know, in a squat you go like this [demonstrates a quarter squat], but with leg press you go all the way up here [brings knee to chest]."
-personal trainer to client at my gym this weekend

He won’t because he’s full of shit

Im not saying that. I just want an explanation of how op only got 400 pound squat after 5 years on SS without stalling or deloading at all. It doesn't make sense. I think it is fine to stay on SS as long as you want, I did it for about 1.5 years but don't lie about your progress.

Its explained here

You explained nothing, just rattled off bullshit about meal timing. You can't increase your lifts in a linear fashion adding 5 pounds weight every workout 3 times a week for five years straight. You clearly didn't because your lifts would be superhuman if you did.

>See you don't need to follow 100% of SS
>YES HE IS DOING SS READ THE FUCKING BOOK

Which one is it?

I don't think you realize that squatting 5 years on what you call SS is shit progress. You also missed the point of the guy mentioning you should have a 3900 pounds squat if you never stalled; SS is meant to be LINEAR progression, each days you add 5 pounds to your squat

Tons of people get to 350-400+ in their first year of following the real SS programm, proving your customized program isn't providing the results that the actual program does

from everything I'm reading here, OP didn't even do SS

he did some bastardized and extremely inefficient intermediate routine based off SS for like 5 years

YNDTP

Read the fucking book
There's more to SS than the 3 line program you read on T nation

maybe you should read the fucking book bucko

>Read the fucking book
>obviously hasn't read it himself

Abandon this shit thread, sage, report and hide

Nobody is bashing SS, were bashing op.

this

OP doesn't know what linear or stalling means, or the face there are 3 phases of the novice program, yet claims he read the book

this must be bait and I lost the game

Because their body isn't giving them any.

What did you start with? I ran SL then GSLP for a while and I'm at 45/70/100/110 (5rm, kg) for my lifts. 80kg, 6', 20YO. Been lifting 4 months but been messing around the past month with a volume routine. Think I'm going to sit down and just start starting strength from absolute beginner, I've both his books. Did you add assistance exercises? Say bench for volume on OHP strength days and vice versa? And then curls and tri pushdowns after every workout because curls for gurls.

I have SS and PPST books, going to work through the full novice section of PPST and do it, or is that too basic for where my lifts are arm?

For an idea, I look like shit already so fuck it, I may as well try and get strong cause I'm DYEL even if I cut or bulk

big forearms

It's a troll designed to make newbs fat and unaesthetic.

>Lmao just squat 3 times a week NO ARMS
>Lol u shud eat 10000 Calories a day
>Drink a galon of milk LOL

>things nobody says

guess calisthenics and always double overhanding my diddlies paid off. Any other cut/bulk advice?

Put simply you don’t.

SS works if you follow it, and you’ll only follow it if you’re smart enough to understand it. It makes understanding the lifts and the mechanics behind them just about as easy as it’s possible to make them. And people still shit on it without reading it or deliberately misrepresent it. You can’t make people less dumb, and you can’t stop people from arguing in bad faith.

>you’ll only follow it if you’re smart enough to understand it
Its funny because SS is literally the simplest program to follow. Normalfags just look for things to complicate their lives and things to complain about. Its like they enjoy failing.

Go tell rippetoe SS is highly customisable and watch his response

Hes assuming youre talking about the first 12 weeks of the standard program. If you read the book you will see he says to do a lot of different accessories as you become intermediate/advanced.

>If you read the book you will see he says to do a lot of different accessories as you become intermediate/advanced.

no you fucking idiot, he tells you to switch to intermediate programming like HLM or TM

he does not tell you to add accessories to SS and run it indefinitely

SS has three phases and then it's over after your third deload, that's it, if you do it properly it doesn't even last a year

>only mentions lifting
>nothing about food, sleep, what else he does with his life that might impede working out

I tried SL 5x5 and ended up a T Rex
I used to squat more than I could deadlift. I realized it was dumb to squat every session and alternate the rest of the main lifts. So I made my own routine and did all main lifts 2 times a week + accessories. Its going ok. I didnt get into the SS because too lazy to read the book.

You squat 3x a week because it’s the best exercise for overall strength development. It’s called starting strength, not beginning biceps.

SS werks hit 95kg 1rm press 162.5kg 1rm bench on ss advanced novice
trying to continue but might have to switch to hlm or something

rip literally says "big arms are fun" in the book in the section where he describes curls.

Linear progression doesn’t mean adding the same weight every workout as you did at the beginning you fucking dipshit. Eventually you’ll drop down to 1lb increases and you’ll fail to hit the lift every single session, slowing your progress by something like twenty times.

>Eventually you’ll drop down to 1lb increases

if you are microloading the squat, you are not doing the fucking program

> Eventually you’ll drop down to 1lb increases and you’ll fail to hit the lift every single session, slowing your progress by something like twenty times.

which is when you move to an intermediate routine that doesn't call for session to session progress, unless you're a fucking idiot and think you can run SS in perpetuity

If you can make progress every two sessions why the fuck would you switch to an intermediate program that has you progressing once a week to once a month?

this can't be a real post

this guy has to be trolling at this point

Who even actually reads SS?
I got the book and there's like 200 pages on how to squat, I don't even. I mean, there's some good stuff there, but who even remembers all that after reading it?
Also I still think squatting 3 times a week is too much, and that squatting on the same day as dls is just wanting to snap.

200 press is a shit load. monsters at my gym lift like 155 and they compete

Ss is based. You just don't have the balls to stick it out when it gets tough.

>Didn't read book
>Has opinion about book

>I don't even
>>>/Facebook/

I read some of the book, probably better than 99% of fags who talk about it

>Being such a newfag that you confuse vintage Veeky Forums memes for normiespeak

Because it's a toy program for no lifers and stupid teens who failed to make the cut on whatever team they tried out for.

You can't CANT do a pure strength program like SS forever. You just can't.

It will ruin your fucking body and just annihilate your recovery.

I never cared about lifting and just did the shitty machine exercises all year.
That left me with big front shoulders and chest and literally no back shoulder at all and I cant lift for shit.
So I finally made my own routine, which is an A/B Split with chins/bench/rows/incline bench/DB Rows to armpit/dips/lat pulldown
in that order and
DL/Squads/OHP/hyperextension/some ab exercise/calf raises/maybe some additional leg exercise
in that order
It’s not full SS and not full brolift-tier.

>I read some

>Linear progression doesn’t mean adding the same weight every workout
LOL
O
L

my fucking sides

pahaha this is OP
SAGE

Not OP, I was replying to myself cause I forgot pic.

>reads one line of first post
>scrolls down to first image
>assumes it’s op

lol

i mean does that mean my body looks like it can lift those weights? r-right guys?

heh got em

I don't get it. Maybe a 500lb diddle is nice after 5 years, but everything else is medicore. I'm ~10lbs lower on your presses, ~60lbs lower on your squat, and a whole pl8 off from your deadlift after 1 3/4 year, fucking around entirely for the first 8 months. 10lbs lighter and 2 inches taller.
Maybe you would have had better progress doing something else?

So Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 then?

Yeah, I've been reading SS the past little while. He mentions how eventually you'll have to switch to much smaller increments of weight.

Under 'progression' in Chapter 8: Programming it says -

"Work-set weight increases will vary with the exercise, your age and sex, and the consistency of your adherence to the program. For most male trainees with good technique, the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout, assuming three workouts per week for two to three weeks. When you miss the last rep or two of your last work set, the easy gains are beginning to wane, and you can take 5-pound jumps for several months; back up 5 pounds and start with 5-pound jumps."

This implies you'll be squatting more, but increasing work sets less over time, not linear. He goes into smaller weight increases for women and children. Buying yourself smaller weights, less than 2 and a half pounds when you start stalling on 5 pound jumps (buy baseball bat weights), "since progress on the lifts will eventually slow to the point where they will be useful even for advanced men."

My favourite part -

"Don't be afraid to take small jumps - instead, do be afraid to stop improving."

Also, yeah, read the fucking book.

>Linear progression doesn't mean adding the same weight every workout

Also, that's wrong. All you people suck. If you're increasing less and less weights but still increasing, it's inverse exponential.

Linear is a line. It's right there in the name.

Line-areyoudumb.

"Small plates are available from various sources on the Web, and baseball bat weights will usually fit the bar quite well. It will be useful at some point for everybody to have access to light plates, since progress on the lifts will eventually slow to the point where they will be useful even for advanced men. Don't be afraid to take small jumps - instead, do be afraid to stop improving."

Literally said in starting strength. Read the fucking book.

I bought the app too. It has an abridged version with progression tracking. It's pretty good.

deload 50% off all lifts, do SS.
while doing that, read PPST, and read everything else you can find from any reputable authors too, and make yourself an intermediate program.

>SS is literally the simplest program to follow.

Know how I know you haven't read the book?

Except it is.

There's nothing complex about SS, other than towards the end of linear progression you'll hate every workout as you grind through 3x5 squats every other workout, sets of presses with 2.5 lb microload plates and try not to puke when you slap another five on the deadlift.

Intermediate programming after that is like a vacation.

My last few weeks on SL (sorry Rip) were probably the toughest weeks of my life in the gym. Volume/Light/Intensity while still hard, was so welcome after trying to hit a PR every single session.

Get the .epub on libgen.io