/fast/ #124 - Minerals Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. 1000s of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting

FAQ

>Where can I find potassium?
The grocery store salt aisle.

>Can't I just take potassium pills?
No. They don't contain enough potassium.

>Should I take a multivitamin?
No. You don't need them.

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
discord.gg/WfgghsW
instagram.com/snake_diet_wizard/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for lifting and not being a sticklet Veeky Forumsggot.

Lads after a long fast (7+ days) why do I get the shits? When breaking?

those goats are fuckin impressive desu

>tfw your weight drops to a new set point this week, but your lifts have gone up slightly, so your guy changes colours a bit on symmetricstrength

ah yis

>tfw your weight drops to a new set point this week, but your lifts have gone up slightly

What do your fasting routine and refeeds look like? I'm trying to find a balance between fasting and having enough energy to go as hard as I can when I train. I've been feeling like shit lately and only eating foods high in electrolytes but it's not enough.

Can I break a 10 day fast with a bacon and cheese omelette?

only eat on lifting days OMAD
fast on other days

Currently cutting, started at 195, down to 178, aiming for 165. I lift heavy every day day that my body feels up to it (once I start feeling worn down I switch over to yoga or straight-up resting for a few days). Feeding wise I'll eat a massive, saturated fat heavy meal in the space of about an hour on a training day, and then go for however long it takes for my weight to drop to lower than it was the last time I ate (generally 36 to 48 hours). while fasting I drink snake juice, coffee, and occassionally go dry on the last day if I'm able to rest.

I just switched back to 44:4 LCHF. I was eating 3 days a week high carbs (from fruits and vegetables) enough to start gaining fat, yet my body still felt weak as fuck. And according to MFP I was getting >200% RDA of sodium and potassium most feeding days. I think I have to start supplementing with electrolytes along with diet. My body just might be extremely inefficient at using electrolytes.

One meal a week bro here again.
Just broke my fast with pic related. Twas good and i'm ready to fast for another week. Just sipping on cardamon tea right now.

Give a breakdown of whats in the pic.
I think i can identify Pico di gayo and maybe some eggs and tomato dish?

bbq chicken ( yogurt, ginger, garlic, paprika,cayenne,tumeric, cumin ,cardamon , salt pepper,lemon juice, oil)

Coleslaw( mayo, mustard, ceasers rim spice, sugar, apple cider vinegar ,salt pepper)

tomato, onions, cucumber , jalepeno salad with lemon juice, olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper, mint, cilantro topped with tahini

Top right is home made Hummus

The white sauce to the left is a garlic sauce I make with oil , tons of garlic and lemon juice

to the top left of the hummus is quinoa made with chicken bone broth

below that is shakshuka it's tomato, eggplant, red pepper ,garlic, onion and jalepeno cooked on a cast iron till it turns into a sauce then i add lots of smoked paprika and cumin and put eggs on top till it cooks till runny.

Snake diet guy is uneducated on basic nutrition and biological functions.

no idea why so many people listen to this guy
>doesn't look healthy
>doesn't look ripped
>cites no credible sources
>just screams in the camera like some failed army instructor

Cardamon tea is made with a good quality black tea. You know its good if it has a sort of a fermented plum smell to it. I add Cardamon and some cloves.
Also gonna smoke some fine tobacco.

lifes good mangos we're all gonna make it.

Women in their late 30's (his main client base) are generally nutritionally ignorant and like to be yelled at and bossed around. Apparently.

What does he say that you disagree with? And what do you do that he wouldn't agree with?

I do agree that he doesn't look good considering he's been training for years. He doesn't look incredibly lean or strong

What's his neck routine?

He says calories don't matter, traditional BBing diets don't work, hot dogs and bacon are healthy, and he keeps saying fasting will cure every disease, and for people to stop taking meds suddenly (so many medications need a doctor monitored wean off period with severe and potentially fatal side effects from sudden cessation).

I personally use fasting as a diet and health tool, it does have uses and benefits, but he takes everything to the extreme, gives reckless advice, and his FB group is disturbingly cultish.

Hello /fast/

I'm going to embark on this journey. I'm 6'4" and I weigh 416lbs. I no longer want to weigh this much. I have already ordered the potassium salt, but it won't be here until tomorrow. I presume it's safe to go 48hrs without snake juice? (My least meal was breakfast yesterday)

Also, that snake juice guy said coffee raises cortisol, and should be avoided. Is he full of shit? Does it matter since I intend on going ~25 days before refeeding?

Snake guy seems actually retarded

Damn man living like a king. What are your stats? Did you find fasting and all of a sudden its your holy grail?

Scream your head off x F

>I presume it's safe to go 48hrs without snake juice?
Yeah you can go 4-5 days before the headaches set in.
> Does it matter since I intend on going ~25 days before refeeding?
I wouldn't worry about it, provided you're just drinking black coffee.

Coffee can dry you out, I personally piss 4 times per cup, but it doesn't break the fast to drink a bit of black coffee though

while I fatsed for 4+ days while drinking coffe I was stressed as fuck I could feel it.
What I do is drink coffe the first 3-4 days to help with the hunger and then get off of it for the rest of my long fast

>Fatsed
That could be another word for 'bulking'

lol I cant even go 24 hours without eating.

If i'm doing IF from 12 noon to 8 PM, does the timing of my lifting/cardio session matter? Is there a scientific benefit to working out when fasting, before/after eating, or after fasting period?

I've watched almost all of his Q&A's and videos.
>He says calories don't matter
He definitely says they matter. He says fat loss is a product of eating frequency, macros, and calories. He just has a different approach to counting calories. When he's addressing fatties he says all three variables should be zero so calories shouldn't even matter to them. What he does and recommends for leaner people to track calories is by using scale feedback to dial in food intake.
>hot dogs and bacon are healthy
I think he just used hot dogs as an example food a few times. Bacon is a good source of fat and protein in my opinion.
Fasting has cured a few things for me. I think his advice is good for fat people but I'm going to start ignoring some of his advice because I've been feeling weak and tired and my workouts are shit. Going to start supplementing with magnesium for example. I got like ~10-15 lbs of fat left before I'm where I want to be.

Do sugarfree energy drinks affect my fast?

Snake guy looks like shit because he keeps gaining and losing weight intentionally. He's doing what stupid fatties do. But there's still a lot we can learn from him. And if nothing else it's a good kicking off point to start doing your own research from.

Some artificial sweeteners raise your insulin. Some don't. You'll have to look into which ones do and avoid them.

Someone should update the OP to mention that the Sodium and Potassium values are for the raw nutrient, not the Salt that contains the nutrient.

Is there a noticeable difference in weight loss between fasting while only drinking water and fasting while also driking tea?

Starting weight was 318 i'm down to 240 now. I started with 3 day fast then went back to my old habits and gained the weight back then I decided to do a 7 day fast about a month later I did a 20 day fast. Few months later I started eating one meal a day for about 2 weeks, then I started doing one meal a week for about 3 weeks and thats where I am now. My plan is to cut to 160 then bulk up with pure muscle to 185.
I want to get below 200 by my birthday in late april.

OP might want to consider adding this to the copy pasta: muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Pretty good breakdown of all the different types of IF

No, tea is literally just water with leaves.

thanks senpai
was just exceling all of my intakes

Thats amazing good for you man.
How are you feeling? Physically and mentally? Any fatigue? Or you just feeling amazing cause of all the weight lost? Any details id love to hear.

this isnt true at all

tea is a herbal infusion, nothing more

I dont get what youre trying to say, are you saying tea has no beneficial properties? Its just flavor and thats it?

I think he's saying it's dietarily insignificant and won't alter the hormonal reaction of ketosis

ya keep the caffeine to a minimum since it's a diuretic and will make you piss out electrolytes.

wait ive been watching his videos should I stop now?

So, this is a(nother) progress pic

I use the shirt as it's a good visual indicator. It's a size large. Started directly after Christmas

Generally doing a 6.5 day fast, with Lunch and Dinner refeeding on Sunday. I normally drink fresh water for two days, then the old snake Juice for a day, then repeat.

no loose skin, still too fat. To say there's a "long way to go" is an understatement of a huge magnitude.

Well done shirt bro. You're definitely gonna make it.

Levantine master race reporting in
Lebanese here, where are you from?

good progress. you must be really tall. i just hit 199 and now my large shirts hang normally instead of snug @ 215. i think i was still in 2x @ 268

>ya keep the caffeine to a minimum
"no"
Fantastic, do you find getting back into the fast harder or the final day or 2 harder? Are your meals keto?

you look like you have a massive frame, seeing potential here. Well done

Thanks Mate
6'2" and desu this shirt isn't really wearable, If I sat down the bottom buttons would shoot off like bullets, but its definitely getting looser, to wear a shirt comfortably right now it's XL so not far off you
Day 1-2 are the hardest, I'm pretty sure I've reset my leptin and ghrelin responses since fasting but on Day 1-2 they're going crazy, but past day 2, I don't even notice, right now, not hungry in the slightest and I'm 147 hours in, I'll prepare a meal and eat it tomorrow Lunch time. (and have dinner) And yeah, I eat 100% keto, aiming to eat < 20 Carbs in those two meals
Thanks Bro, when I get to a certain weight I'm going to start lifting and eating properly, it'll be my new hobby, gonna get fit and do it for /fast/

What if i use a sweetener

Sweeteners increase insulin so thats a solid no

Great job shirtbro. You should date them.

>I'm pretty sure I've reset my leptin and ghrelin responses since fasting
What makes you say this? Just cruious. Can you feel that theyre different or something?

Eat before lift, fast before cardio. Amplifies each respectively.

Is loose skin autophagy a meme?

>Can you feel that they're different or something?

As an even larger fatty, they were broken, I would eat non stop, regardless of hunger, I would feel """hungry""" an hour after eating a meal weighing 340 lbs, now, it's all gone.

On the first two days of the fast I get the signals (yo, you've not eaten, time to eat) which is right, but I'm not getting the "lel bro, you just ate 2000 calories of pizza, you must be hungry, go get some chocolate"

>Is loose skin autophagy a meme?

In what context?

You didn't join the real and acvite Official Fitness Server on Discord yet??
Share ideas, routine and posture advice, motivate each other, awesome stories, feels, food and diet.

Only quality contributors are welcome. _
discord.gg/WfgghsW

>Only quality contributors are welcome.
...yet you advertise this on Veeky Forums...?

My legs muscles and joints hurt on day 3 even though I use the snake juice. Is this normal?

Nice good shit man
Fuck off

My electrolyte stores last 2.5 days, if I don't drink 1.5ltrs of 4000g Potassium 3000g sodium on the 3rd day then I will get cramp / leg ache that is almost unbearable (only on my right leg)

But if you're drinking it all week... that's a tough thing... try going for walks or something?

Is there such thing as losing weight TOO fast? Have the opportunity to water fast for 11 days straight, but it's super boring where I live, and I'll probably be going to the gym twice a day just to distract myself.

The experiment by the jap doc and the fat man who fasted for a year has no shirtless pics. Just need more andecdotal proof its even effective for loose skin. When im 180lbs im gonna fast to sub 150 for skin gains hopefully.

No, unless you are so fat and obese and unlucky that you get some gallstones.

Losing it as quickly as possible is to be saluted

instagram.com/snake_diet_wizard/

judge for yourself from people's before and after

Sup Levantine bro I'm from Israel.
My cousin just married a Lebanese guy.

I'm the guy in the shirt progress picture above, no shirtless pics from me yet as you're going to see is a flabby blob, which no one wants.

I have no loose skin yet (78lbs down) but then again I'm still fatasfass and have 86lbs to lose until my goal.

Will report back in x months / x weeks.

Am expecting some on the belly, maybe the bitch tits?

Will attempt to dry fast to fix it as I heard that giga charges autophagy.

dont worry about it, it wont be too bad and there's a lot you can do to fix it after youve lost everything

20 hours into yet another fast.

i'm hungry.

Maybe i could try it
Any cardio? How many times a week do you lift?

>2018
>having a gallbladder
I had that shit non-organ removed 15 years ago

>2018
>being proud that you pay money to the (((surgeons)))
i mean good

What is healthcare

>not having health insurance
Sucks to be a poor

how much weight do you want to lose again?

When you have NEVER ever done it, it's incredibly hard. Even though I did intermittent fasting for years, the first time I didn't eat for 24 hours felt like death. Repeating it becomes easy INCREDIBLY quick, tho: the second time I made it to 36 hours with some discomfort, the third time I made it to 48 hours effortlessly. Now I'm on OMAD and it feels great.

My appetite decreased a lot after my first 72 h fast. What does it mean?

That your body is now consuming the tens / hundreds of thousands of calories of fat you have encasing your body and organs for fuel instead of the food you usually consume

I tought so, Can I finally eat low calorie without fucking up my metabolism now?

That you're eating your bags of fat to survive and it's going as expected
Headaches most likely will be because of mild dehydration from the lack of food in water you'd usually consume - drink tons of water, and take care. If you feel weak consume potassium, sodium and/or magnesium, and keep going. If you feel something is TERRIBLY wrong just eat, rest and restart later when you are ok.

I'm not on my dry fast anymore. I refeed like 3 days ago. Now I can feel full for hours with tiny protein or fiber based meals, but I get hungry if I eat sugar or carbs, as I expected

i'm trying to eat very well, and want to make gains in the gym while losing weight fasting. currently i'm trying cole's lean gains thing.

when i break my 36 hour fast tomorrow (also a training day), what foods should i eat? he suggests some carbs but i'm not really sure.

will this work? is it even possible to make gains while doing a fasting routine?

It is not possible to make muscle mass or strength gains on a fast. You wont have enough protein to repair your damaged muscle fibers.

Just do the logical thing. Fast until you reach the weight you wantx and bulk after.

Carbs will only make your fast take longer. If you do eat, stick to vegetables, meat, and fat.

How much willpower does a three day fast take. I got two weeks of work, want to try and do a three to four day fast.

I'm also getting really fat, eating a ton. I read everything about IF, but I cannot stop eating.

A three day dry fast was my first fast ever, I started like a week ago. I set my mind into it and after the ocasional hunger in my feeding hours, it was no big deal. The hardest thing for me was to relief stress because food did that for me, even tho I didn't over eat
I did cheat taking a couple sips of water tho, but didn't eat anything
Try to get yourself into ketosis as soon as posible, maybe some exercise the first hours of your fast

Fasts get easier the longer they are.
The first two days suck. After that it's smoothe sailing.

You can accelerate the process by doing light exercise at a very high volume.

not baiting but what's the point of IF if you can lose weight through keto?
Fasting seems like it would give you 0 energy, headaches, lethargy and just pure suffering for the first couple of days going into it.

Is it mainly because of the misconception that fasting strictly uses body fat and retains lean muscle mass?

>Is it mainly because of the misconception that fasting strictly uses body fat and retains lean muscle mass?
this isnt a misconception, but yes it is slightly exagerated.
And the reason is autophagy and reducing insulin.

>snakeman screams in the camera like some failed army instructor
This
I managed to watch 60 seconds or so of the retards video before I turned to other sources.
Analysing, learning and incorporating new knowledge is a logical endeavor and some lunatic pissing me off will distract my focus.

I consider everyone's experience valuable, no matter the intelligence and educational level of the one sharing it, but if they can't share it properly, it can't be conveyed. So snakeman can go fuck himself.
It's not like there is a lack of sources on fasting on the Internet, and so far exactly all of them has been better than snakeman.

Underrated

what is the best way to utilize fasting as a method of cutting without losing muscle or progress in the gym?

you are a fucking pussy if you can't stand 60 seconds of shouting

you can fucking turn the volume down

second this IF link

Seeing how popular this fasting-wannabe method is, it may as well deserve the link.