Daily reminder to train a sport or martial art. Stable confidence comes from within...

Daily reminder to train a sport or martial art. Stable confidence comes from within, from functionality and practicality. Veeky Forumsness is a supplement to health and sport and daily labor.
Your aesthetics and benchpress won't save you in a fight.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5412365/Rapist-tries-burn-alive-prison-Germany.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Daily reminder that competency in any sport or martial art will probably require you to sacrifice a lot of hypertrophy.

>Daily reminder that competency in any sport or martial art will probably require you to sacrifice a lot of hypertrophy.
Hypertrophy is inefficient if it doesn't translate to power output, mobility and functionality.
Having big bloated muscles that are weaker than small muscles is gay.

>he thinks cardio kills gains isn't a meme

Friendly reminder that
>when shit hits the fan performance>appearance
>to boot, normies have low standards concerning what they consider muscular

>muh fights

I remember when i was 13

Cardio does kill gain in the long run, practical training does kill aesthetic gains because the only reason you're big is because you can focus on weaker, slower Type 1 fiber, while practical strength would require a focus on Type 2, any sort of endurance training kills gains because you'll be working on muscles way longer than an optimal 45 - 60 secs ideal for hypertrophy, etc. And good luck going "I'll train everything!" and killing your strength and aesthetic gains, fucking up your hormonal system and impeding recovery.

>spends hours every week learning a martial art
>thousands of hours over your lifetime
>tfw you get killed by a skinny manlet with a small knife

exactly, i hate the
>m-muh martial prowess
we are in 2018 where everyone with 2 brain cells has a gun or a knife.

You sound exactly like the people in , just so you know

>heh martial arts don't make you immortal, so what's the point?
>heh, aesthetics won't attract every girl, so what's the point?
>heh, eating healthy won't make you immortal, so what's the point?
>heh, a gun can't protect you against fire bombings, so what's the point
LOGIC
O
G
I
C

Possibly, on the other hand I´m never going to have to kill myself because of dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5412365/Rapist-tries-burn-alive-prison-Germany.html
I don´t like having to do this but it seems necessary. It improved my quality of life and future prospects more than enough to justify the time spent on it.

mate if you enjoy it or it helps you keep fit or more disciplined then that's great, but acting like it's practical or functional for the average person is an embellishment at best

Why is an appeal to "the average person" always the retard's way out of their own contradictions?

Why wouldn't you want to learn kickboxing, bjj or combat sambo (if knife attacks are so popular where you at..)?

It's a lot more fun than lifting weights up and down, you're learning a new skill, meeting new people (yes, even chicks do martial arts), you get a huge rush from sparring and it just feels great to know you can take on 99% of the population if they'd come at you, bro.

>needing to justify martial arts
>needing to justify strength training
>needing to justify aesthetics
>needing to justify functionality
none of this stuff needs justification, it's all self-evidently good unless you take it to the extreme and become a narcissitic faggot about it, and this can happen with anything

Use the term gay as an offense word is retard

if its self evident and doesn't need justification why keep posting about it

because dumb people try to suppress the truth.
being gay is a mental illness, the anus is not a reproductive organ nor is it sanitary

Good title but don't want to give views to that site bro

>Your benchpress won't save you in a fight

Wrong.

The average guy can bench lmao1plaet!!!!11 If you can bench a meagre lmao2.5pl8!!!11 you are literally twice as strong as the average guy where your bench is concerned. That is as strong as the average guy is compared to the average woman. So you don't need to reach an immense level of strength to be able to literally rape the average man with relative ease.

Sorry but martial arts are overrated. The idea of having to to sacrifice 6 hours a week to get meme tern good at a discipline is not a good investment in my opinion

These guys who say martial arts will be a better investment than weightlifting are tards, Im sorry to say it but its true. They get this idea from watching clips online of thins guy who have been practicing their disciplines for 10+ years easily beat jacked dudes with zero experience

>6hours a week is too much to invest in mastering a skill that could save you and others, and get you functionally fit and have a good time
oh
I guess I'll start playing video games or watching youtube vids 6more hours a week

>They get this idea from watching clips online of thins guy who have been practicing their disciplines for 10+ years easily beat jacked dudes with zero experience
99.9% of "jacked dudes" don't know how to throw a punch, defend a take down or grapple
and if they're on grams of gear and 240lbs+ they'll gas out in like 30seconds lol

taymazov is juiced to the gills and even got caught fyi

You don't understand. Huge jacked dudes don't need to know how to throw a punch, or grapple. Someone who can deadlift something like lmao5pl8!!!1 is extremely strong compared to the average martial artist. It would be like fighting a child.

You obviously dont work or have a family do you?

as opposed to

>get old
>lose all your gains
>die
lose all your gains
>stop lifting
lose all your gains

stop being a fucking retard

see taymazov is 260lb lean, a fucking absolute juiced monster of a man
260lb is the upper limit of the heavyweight division in freestyle wrestling
so, yes, size matters
skill too, but go ahead and try to beat taymazov with only skill

The bigger and stronger you are the more likely you will win a fight. It takes around 5 years of experience to beat a guy who has 20 pounds on you

Yes, this is obvious to anyone but some who have lied to themselves well enough to believe that 2 years of bjj will help them take down a guy who is more than 20 pounds heavier than them. And then you get into the topic of what discipline is effective and what is not. Whats a mcdojo and whats a legit gym

Either you haven't done a martial art or you were just awful at it. If after 2 years of BJJ, you can't use it to take down someone 10kg heavier than you that is untrained, you're either godawful at it or need to go to a different BJJ place.

>5 years to beat 20lb advantage
if you don't know how to strike or grapple then even a 40lb advantage won't help much against an intermediate boxer or grappler with just 2-3years experience.

Ah, physical fitness, whatever. You know, whatever. You do what you like to do and I do what I like to do, ok? .. But youre a sucker, youre getting fed this line about how.. like.. youre gonna live forever or whatever. Youre gonna die. Someone'll kill ya. Someone'll kill ya with a knife. Make sure youre abs are uhh friggin ripped.. you got some good guns. You wanna look good for when you get stabbed with a knife *pulls out knife* Sorry, thats how it works.

>t takes around 5 years of experience to beat a guy who has 20 pounds on you

What a ridiculous thing to say. 6 months of training at a decent martial arts gym will give you the ability to take out most untrained people unless they're absolutely enormous compared to you.

Size absolutely helps in a fight, but skill trumps size unless there's an absolutely massive difference.

>Your aesthetics and benchpress won't save you in a fight.

Martial arts probably won't either. Maybe if you're a young dude that likes to fight for fun then sure, it'll help you out fighting other drunk dudes outside a bar.

But I'm at the point in my life where if I'm in a fight it's life or death, because there are no other options left besides fighting. The likely outcomes, even if I win, are simply too poor to be worth it otherwise. And in that kind of fight the guy's probably armed, or he's got friends. At that point I'd much rather have a gun.

Don't get me wrong, I train martial arts and I love it. But I do it because it's fun, not because it's going to help me win fights.

No, BJJ is an unrealistic form of self defense that wont help in most situations and Ill give you an example of why. The basic move in BJJ which is the guard I think has you place your opponent right in front of your exposed testicles. This is fucking stupid and this position is where a lot of the moves come from.

Taymazovposting is the best meme to hit Veeky Forums in a while

It takes much longer than a few months for you to be competent enough to get rid of another mans size advantage on you. This is just fantasy talk that a few classes lets you take down bigger men than you.

Just look at the latest big mob fight that happened in Charlottesville. The kind of unarmed martial arts that are hyped up because of the UFC where basically nowhere to be found

vat you mean you lift for "aesthetics"?

also, zis "nat tee" lifting, it is vaste of time

except you wont get into a fight if you are big. almost everyone is scared of fighting you

This woman holds multiple world championships and was assaulted and battered by the father of an opponent she beat. And you have weebs here who think they would be able to defend themselves against a guy who warms up with their max. Average guy can probably:

Overhead press 35 kg
Bench 60 kg.
Squat a bit more than 60 kg.
Deadlift close to 100 kg.

If your stats are like this, imagine fighting against someone who can overhead press 70 kg, bench 120 kg, squat over 140 kg, and deadlift 200 kg. It would be like a tiny woman trying to fight a fully grown man.

nigger, guard is just 1 one the BJJ positions. If you\re skilled in BJJ you'll

1) takedown
2) transition to a dominant position
3) go for the submission (a lock or choke)
Andif you're slightly experienced in BJJ you'll know the movements and you'll be so fast the other guy doesnt even know what hit him.

Its fucking obvious but most people buy into the glory aspect of training in a marital arts gym

>tfw no qt turkish judo gf to defend against vengeful fathers

a trained 160-180lb dude will nearly always destroy an untrained powerlifter/bodybuilder up to 240lbs, doesn't matter what he can bench or curl.

Its still a major position even if its not the only one. That picture shows that BJJ is a sport martial art

I'm not a child or criminal, I don't get into fights

If hes got around 10 years of experience. And to say that it wouldnt matter what he could bench or curl is just ludicrous. What MMA fighter could take on an adult male chimp. Chimps dont have any formal combat experience so it should be easy right?

Ah I see, so the strategy in BJJ is to distract your opponent with your testicles so you can switch to a different position.

all good martial arts have a combat-sport compliment, it doesn't mean they're any less effective or unrealistic, it means you have to adapt to the context.

>just eye gouge and ball kick! easy!
a trained muay thai will destroy your fucken balls before you realize what's going on, likewise a trained bjj grappler will be smashing your balls and gouging your eyes before you realize you're on the ground

have you ever played a sport for the first time against a guy whose been playing consistently for a couple years? like squash, tennis, soccer, table tennis, anything? you're gonna feel totally helpless and retarded....now imagine it was a fight
untrained people don't realize how fucked they are,

chimps have giant teeth and spider man agility, plus they've been fighting each other in the trees since they were babies, chimps are not untrained, they are trained.

I like how you're spot on.
Even if you are two highly trained people, the person with the most "I will do anything to win"-mentality will ultimately win

When you have two people with the exact same amount of must-win-mentality you get those really good mma fights

People underestimate what it means to know how to use your body in a fight

>It takes much longer than a few months for you to be competent enough to get rid of another mans size advantage on you.

It really doesn't. I've been training for around 5 years. We do mixed-level classes so I see a lot of new people come and go and the difference in skill between the guys who are brand new with no previous previous experience and the guys who have been there for 6 months is huge.

I'm not saying 6 months of training will make up for a difference of 100 lbs of muscle and 6 inches of height. But an average-sized guy with 6 months of training could win a fight against 95% of the untrained people on the planet.

Oh of course they will learn how to effective in some aspects but the sports a whole are not worth the time which I have talked about in my previous posts. And I have already said that someone with around ten years of training will be able to beat most people, its just that the sports themselves are not effective enough to justify the average person to participate in them if they are not interested. For example that guy in the gif you posted is not someone who has one year of experience, hes been doing probably his whole life.

it is very important to do a martial art. only the dumb ones can't see this

6 months of training will not allow you to take on someone who is 20 pounds heavier than you unless you have certain physical attributes that are better than his. And this example with newbies getting much better in their first few months is not a very good one. Most newcomers to any kind of gym will be out of shape so they will also gain physical strength and stamina that they did not have prior

Again, this is as absurd as saying that a child trained in a martial art can beat up a guy of average strength.

The stupidest part here is that most people "know" how to fight. It comes to a person as naturally as walking, jumping, etc. Of course there is much to learn but if you push a person they will definitely know how to fuck you up. It is coded in your genes.

Even a domesticated chimp will fuck up 99% of the people who lift. You'd at the very least need to be Isley tier to stand a chance of even surviving against one.

Is that why its generally only lower middle class to poor people who practice martial arts? And dont give me the story of them doing it because they live in dangerous areas because pretty much everyone does martial arts as a hobby

>Again, this is as absurd as saying that a child trained in a martial art can beat up a guy of average strength.
no it's not, once you reach 160-180lbs and are sufficiently skilled weight differences don't really matter against untrained opponenets; a head kick from a 180lb muay thai fighter will knock out a 300lb powerlifter just as effectively as a 210lb powerlifter or a 180lb powerlifter.
getting strangled by a 170lb bjj blackbelt will also take out a bigger man.
a child doesn't have the musculature, speed, leverages and obvious strength to execute a knock out or successful choke/submission.

Martial arts require LOTS of work to become actually useful in a real fight. Considering most people will never get involved in a fight in their life, you better use your time on learning something you'll like instead of something you'll probably never use.

>Most newcomers to any kind of gym will be out of shape so they will also gain physical strength and stamina that they did not have prior

You don't think your theoretical "20 lbs heavier" guy is also out of shape?

You are vastly underestimating how much difference 20 lbs of weight makes.

>a head kick from a 180lb muay thai fighter will knock out a 300lb powerlifter just as effectively as a 210lb powerlifter or a 180lb powerlifter.

If you look at it that way, a single punch from a DYEL can knock out or even kill a 300lb powerlifter. Generally, the first person to sucker punch their opponent will win in a fight anyway.

>a child doesn't have the musculature, speed, leverages and obvious strength to execute a knock out or successful choke/submission.

As I said, a 300lb powerlifter is probably as strong compared to you as you are compared to a child. If you have been lifting for some time, fighting against a DYEL martial artist would be like fighting against a woman. See:

I was going to type a properly argumented reply, but I'm just going to be lazy and say you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. 20lbs is nothing.

>takes lots of work to be useful
it takes a lot of work to master it, not necessarily to get use out of it. After a year of bjj or boxing you should have a huge advantage over untrained opponents of similar size/height.

>Considering most people will never get involved in a fight in their life
its true the chance of a fight is low, but the risk and damage of a fight can be catastrophic, can paralyze you, brain damage you or kill you, so even if its low probability it has a huge damage-risk associated with it, which makes martial art actually useful to know.

>The stupidest part here is that most people "know" how to fight. It comes to a person as naturally as walking, jumping, etc. Of course there is much to learn but if you push a person they will definitely know how to fuck you up. It is coded in your genes.
No. Just no. The vast majority of people are absolutely, completely, totally and utterly shit at fighting without training.

I see people from all walks of life, ranging from anaesthesists and interpreters to people who didn't make it past secondary education.

>As I said, a 300lb powerlifter is probably as strong compared to you as you are compared to a child.
The analogy doesn't work because of how physiology scales. a 180lb trained male can deliver enough force to knock out a bigger untrained man, or execute a choke or submission. Even a 100lb difference doesn't matter much since the strength is going to waste and most likely a disadvantage, they'll be slow as fuck, they'll telegraph all their moves and will gas out in less than a minute of exertion.

The child analogy doesn't work because a child has literally no strength or speed to execute a knock out or submission.

>The stupidest part here is that most people "know" how to fight. It comes to a person as naturally as walking, jumping, etc. Of course there is much to learn but if you push a person they will definitely know how to fuck you up. It is coded in your genes.
"oh man if I get angry I can take out anyone"
no fighting is not like DBZ, getting angry and seeing red won't help you against a trained fighter

>The stupidest part here is that most people "know" how to fight. It comes to a person as naturally as walking, jumping, etc.

No they don't. Most people's instincts in a fight are absolutely terrible.

there's a great video of a boxer fighting an untrained guy on the streets, the untrained guy looks like a street brawler throwing haymakers everywhere, the boxer calmly dodges everything, bobbing and weaving, and knocks him out in like one or two punches

Looked like a school fight, boxer was wearing a red shirt

A child can knock another child out. He won't be able to knock out an adult. The same way a woman can knock out another woman but probably lacks the strength to knock out another man. I mean, if you sucker punch them you can knock out pretty much anyone, but knocking out a guy with a huge neck is going to be pretty hard if you are a twink.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

stop repeating the same shit, a 180lb man is not a child or woman, they can generate enough force to knock out a 200lb man, and if you can knock out a 200lb man you can knock out a 300lb man because the head doesn't become concrete just because you can bench a lot or weigh a lot.
Likewise a 180lb man can choke the shit out of a 200lb man, and if you can choke the shit out of a 200lb man you can choke the shit out of a 300lb man because the neck doesn't become titanium no matter how strong it is, same goes for small joint locks, a 300lb mans ankles and joints aren't magic.
A child can't do shit neither can a regular woman because of how physiology scales.

>Of course there is much to learn but if you push a person they will definitely know how to fuck you up. It is coded in your genes.

Lmao, no it fucking isn't. Anyone with martial arts experience will tell you that beginners are fucking terrible at fighting, and it's clear you're talking out of your wish-fulfilling ass.
If you just hold an untrained person down they'll gas themselves out in 30 seconds achieving nothing, they are helpless.

So it’s not worth doing because it’s hard? Interesting take. You sound like a fucking pussy

The stronger a person's neck gets the harder it will be to knock them out. You will have to score a hit to his face. He can literally swing randomly at you and leave you incapacitated no matter where it lands. Grappling and shit won't work no matter how well you do it because you might as well be a woman.

Untrained people are mostly DYELs. Your fucking animu moves will not work against someone who can lift you up with one arm.

I can't tell if you're trolling or roleplaying, but why don't you just go to a bjj open mat and test your strength out yourself?

>BJJ open mat
Following their retarded rules is meaningless when you want to test one martial art's efficacy in the real world outside the gym.

Friendly reminder that I live in a civilized country where I don't ever need to perform physically

Just challenge the instructor to a "real world" fight then. You do your thing and see if you can take him. I'm sure you can find an instructor that will agree.

Alternatively just go to an MMA gym. Challenge one of the smaller guys, tell him what you said here about how you will win since you're stronger. I'm sure he will fight you.

>I don't spar because there are rules
you realize a trained bjj will be better at eye gouging and nut grabbing than you? Because he knows how to manipulate your body, find openings and set you up, while you flap around like a fish out of water
Same goes against a trained striker, they'll be bobbing and weaving while you stand flat footed in front of them telegraphing all your strikes
Holy shit the delusion
I'm probably being trolled but w/e
there are literal dummies like this everywhere

Will getting good at soccer help me in a fight?

Not against training some sort of martial art since why not, but these kinds of threads come off more as "fuck lifting my sport is better" than anything else.

No, but it will help you sprint away which usually is the safer choice.

You can just do HIIT for that, don't need to bother with kicking the ball around.

It'll help you run away very fast.

It's not 'fuck lifting', a lot of fighters lift. But people always overestimate their fighting abilities. You ever had a gf get mad/jealous and be like "I'mma fuck him/her up", and you're just kekking about that 120 lbs of pure overconfidence?

This is what these threads are. Lifters that never did any MA in their life, but think they can fuck up a guy because they can lift heavy.

But I lift for women, why should I care about fighting? I dont live in a shithole. Esthetics is my priority.

>He can literally swing randomly at you and leave you incapacitated no matter where it lands.

I don't know if you're trolling or just an idiot. Lifting weights does not make you good at throwing punches. It does not mean your fists are deadly weapons that will devastate an opponent with the lightest of taps. It does not mean your joints are immune to joint locks and you are able to escape any submission hold.

You sound like an edgy teenager.

Bench press is my sport

>If they're past your guard, they're wilding out on your face
>Put them in guard to protect your face
>If they're in your guard, your body (inc testicles) are exposed
>Open up your guard, feet on the hips, practicing distance management
>You're in danger because you're still in contact with the other person
>Kick them back and quickly get to your feet

In this way, BJJ provides you with a system from which you can get from a person throwing elbows at your face to you back on your feet. It sucks if you get your testicles hit in the process, but it would suck a lot more to pass out because a guy hit your head against the concrete and then he kills you.

Neither will being good at soccer

I have no interest in getting in the kind of fights martial arts will help me in.

People ITT are doing if there's only one pick: martial arts or lifting weights.

I've came to a point where I consider myself strong and aesthetically enough so I might want to pick up a martial art, just for the challenge and my love for sports

Tempting between boxing, muay thai and BJJ. Which one should I pick? Boxing and muay thai seem the most practical for street and bar fights but BJJ looks pretty cool

>Tempting between boxing, muay thai and BJJ. Which one should I pick? Boxing and muay thai seem the most practical for street and bar fights but BJJ looks pretty cool

Well which would you prefer, a lot of bruises to the face and hands, massive bruises on your shins, or a dude's sweaty taint in your face?

Well do you want to grapple or strike? For me I never really felt any pull towards striking, that might change, but grappling just "felt" right to me. I love using my entire body hold people down and move them and shit. Didn't you wrestle with friends or siblings as a kid? It's fun.
But if you're doing a martial art just for street and bar fights you're not gonna last in any of them, it's a flimsy "motivation" that won't sustain the work required to get good.

>Daily reminder to train a sport or martial art

You are missing the entire point. Fitness means training to have a body able to adapt and perform a complete spectrum of sports. Not "a sport". What you are confusing is "exercising", with "training".
You are a weak, limited, very specialized, athlete. The stronger one, in ANY SPORT, will prevail.

>For me I never really felt any pull towards striking, that might change, but grappling just "felt" right to me.
its 2018 just be gay already

>Well which would you prefer, a lot of bruises to the face and hands, massive bruises on your shins, or a dude's sweaty taint in your face?

Muay Thai might be the most efficient fight style

There's nothing gay about dominating another man and making him submit to you