Why the fuck are barbells and plates so expensive?? Browsing Craigslist for an idea of a home gym...

Why the fuck are barbells and plates so expensive?? Browsing Craigslist for an idea of a home gym. Fucking $200 for a pair of 45lbs plates..?? Is this normal? Is there a diy home gym guide or something?

Because heavy ass shit is expensive. Fairly precisely made shit is even more pricey

I'd assume the main cost is not the manufacturing, but the transport of heavy ass shit.

Just lift this op

People on Craigslist don't ship thought??

Aren't they mostly resellers?

It's expensive because people are stupid and will pay what they have to. I had a redneck friend in high school who's dad owned a scrap yard. He'd melt down steel into plate molds and make bank. Scrap steel sells for $0.10 per pound.

As for Craigslist, it's hit and miss because people are rarely just selling one set of plates, but I found 4 45-lb plates for $80 and talked them down to $50. I wouldn't pay more than $1/lb.

What's the most you should spend on a home gym?

Fringesport has decent color bumpers with both pounds and kilograms.
If you don't care about color coding or bumpers, check Rogue.

I got mine from a white trash cousin who blew his money on it and then needed quick cash. I got a Wieder power rack with an adjustable bench and peck deck/cables, two 45 lb barbells, a set of 45 lb plates, set of 25 lb plates, and like 2 sets of 5 and 10 lb plates for $300 (plus I had to disassemble and move it from his house).

Realistically you're not going to find someone as dumb as my cousin, but I'm pretty sure mine retailed for like $800 with no weights. My advice is find a set on CL and talk them down. When in doubt, low ball them with a fake email so if they stop replying you can message them with another email with a better offer.

You don't want to look on Craigshit. Most fucking faggots selling there want more than brand new.

Just go to an Academy Sports and buy the cheap shit when it's on sale. For a $200 you can get 300+ lbs and a decent bar.

You don't need expensive shit. Just the will to suffer and the desire for greatness.

CL is great if you know how to haggle and know what something is worth. I'm like 90% sure I could quit my job and make 70k/year by flipping stuff on CL, but I always keep the cool shit I find.

Rogue is expensive as fuck.

In Australia a good barbell is about $500 (Rogue Ohio bar) and a set of 150KG/330lbs plates are $550 for cheap chinese plates, $1000 for mediocre plates and nearly $2000 for an actual brand name.

Why the fuck do you fags spend a fortune to lift in your homes? I don't understand that.
I spent 140 euros in a yearly gym membership, not 200, in just plates.
And I get mires there too, flirting with girls, lifting with the lads. Why the fuck give a fortune to get none of that?

>spend 8 month's American gym membership fee for home gym
>have zero (0) commute time
>lift in underwear
>control the music on the speakers
>have protein shake ready and waiting, make with milk immediately post workout
>wake up, add water to pre and drink, work out, shower, make brekky, and go in 90 minutes
>lift at any time
>split workout throughout the day if necessary
>never weight for someone else to finish using equipment

there's so many unexpected home gym /comfs/

>you need 1.5k for 8 gyms in america
whewww
>americans have commute time to go to gym
whewwww

America sounds more and more of a dystopia by the day

Do you not pay for your gym membership? You know this adds up over time right?

Do you live in your gym? Any amount of time travelling is a communte.

>Do you not pay for your gym membership? You know this adds up over time right?
Yeah, I've paid 450 euros in 3 years. I need 6 more years to reach the basic amount of money needed for home gym.
>Do you live in your gym? Any amount of time travelling is a communte.
My commute is 5 mins, which I usually bike/run anyway, so I don't have to spend time warming up in the gym.

>split workout during the day
enjoy your no gains

i dont think u understand what warming up means

>Yeah, I've paid 450 euros in 3 years.

You expect me to believe you pay 30 cents a week to go to the gym?

Are you on drugs? It's 1$CAD per pound on Amazon

Rogue has cheap, metal, beater plates.

>3 years is 450
>so 1 year is 150
>1 year is 52 weeks
>so 150 euros for 52 weeks
>150/52=0.3
NASA called, they need you

Yes, I'm saying you're lying about how much you pay for membership.

In twenty years, I'll still have my same home gym, and you'll have paid 3,450 Euros for your gym membership/

You're understating the cost by a factor of ten, bruv

Still, $3, I don't believe it. $450 euros = $550, but you claim this is the total after 3 years. Most gym memberships here are between $550 - $800 per year.

>implying you won't need to upgrade by then
Also, other than that, I got injured about a month ago, so I'm using some machines for isolation. That's something I couldn't do if I had a home gym.
Also, lifting with bros, and socializing in general, is one of the best things in the gym.

I don't think he knows what "a factor of ten" means

ΕΤΉΣΙΑ ΣΥΝΔΡΟΜΉ=yearly membership, use google translate if you don't believe me still, lmfao

see and you do realize most power racks have cable machine attachments right? Some even come with leg extension for bench too.

>poorfags cant afford a $5k home gym

I bought my Texas deadlift bar a few years ago, 300 bucks

Bought 700lb in plates for about 520.

Got a free bench and lat pulldown/row combo from dads work

Free deadlift platform from the LA Rams bc they were throwing it away

I've done cable work through my injury and
a)boring as fuck
b)didn't do good enough of a job
c)trainers in my gym showed me a plethora of isometric excersises and how to do them properly
Honestly, home gyms aren't worth it at all imo. Even if I was rich and money wasn't an issue, I'd still not do it. I mostly go to the gym because it's fun as fuck to lift with your bros.

Shup up

Just from the advertising, that looks like a "fitness club" more than a gym. We have those here, and mine is only $120 a year. There is only one power cage though, and it sucks waiting for it. Legit lifting gyms seem to be around $300-500 a year depending on how good they are, but you rarely, if ever, have to wait on equipment, and there are like 12+ power cages or squat racks, plus other cool guy lifting things like trap bars, logs, those shits you use for farmers walks, yolks that most commercial gyms don't have. I'd priced out a home gym, and it's a hard call. It's like 5 years membership cost for just the basics, but I don't have to commute or worry about operating hours.

We have only one power cage too desu, but I don't mind, since I rarely have to wait for it. And even when it is taken, they only use it for 10 mins at most, so I just do some other excersises first.
And from the extra things you mentioned, the only thing we don't have, are the farmer's walks shit. Honestly, I just take some dumbels and do the job.
>worry about operating hours.
that's the only thing I seriously dislike about my gym. It closes at 6 pm on Sundays, and I usually lift in the night, so it's a bummer. But still, I'm not planning on spending 1.5k minimum for just the very basics. They even lower the price every year for me at my gym, for being loyal, it's definately not worth it to spend that much money to lift alone in my house, it sounds boring as fuck too.

140eu/year * 10 years = 1400 euros
for that price you can have a fully equipped home gym.

and that's not counting costs of commuting.

lmao the absolute state of burgers.
gym costs here are 120 a year for ratchet basicfit tier gyms, and maybe 500 a year for overprices crossfit "boxes".

>$5k home gym
stop buying overpriced shit.

I spent 160 on a cheap "20kg" (19.7kg in practice) bar with needle bearings. Expected it to last maybe 2 years, but it's still rotating more or less smoothly after 5 years of olympic drops.
~400 on 2x25 4x20 2x15 2x10 2x5 rubber bumpers and a full set of microplates from the same series because I'm autistic and don't want to lift with mismatched plates
a couple of litres of gas for some more steel plates for deadlifting
150 odd euro for flooring, stands and boxes that double as jerk boxes, bench safeties and bench.
100 euro for homemade log (~95kg, my ~80kg broke), homemade sandbags.

That's 800-900 in all, not counting the 270eu my wife spent on her competition bar.

The price of steel per kg is expensive.

Nigga I got a new oly bar off amazon for a hundred and drove to dicks sporting goods and get plates for a buck a pound.

If they were bumper plates, id pay more tho

about .7usd/kg, so that accounts for most of the costs yes.
rubber is closer to .4usd/kg to that's why rubber bumpos are cheap.

>costs of commuting
lmfao, this isn't the US, the cost of commuting is 0, since I can just walk there
Also, again, in 10 years, you'll have spent an absolute minimum of 300 more euros, since stuff break/need replacement. And 1400 euros is the minimal shit you need.

bumper plates are more expensive.

This, I have four 2.5 gal corny kegs at home from when I used to brew. Now I just lift them. Unfortunately, they only come out to about 40 lbs each, but good enough for impulse home workouts when I can't make it to the gym

You need to keep an eye out, set some saved search alerts, etc. I got my plates for 50 cents a lb., refinished them and later sold them for 75 cents a lb. Deals can be had.

20KG PLATES ARE BLUE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well then don't buy them from craigslist.

Just bought a pair of 15kg plates for 20 euros.

2 inch holes?

just go out and collect some rocks then

> When in doubt, low ball them with a fake email so if they stop replying you can message them with another email with a better offer.

lmao devilish

I can't buy steel plates because I live right by the beach and the salt in the air makes metal rust really quickly.