So I'm a skinnyfag who started SS last Wednesday, and I'm already plateauing...

So I'm a skinnyfag who started SS last Wednesday, and I'm already plateauing. Also squats feel absolutely terrible and unenjoyable. It's so fucking frustrating. It used to be a lot easier to make progress when I was doing long-distance running, since it was mostly getting past mental blocks, which I'm relatively good at.
I just don't understand how you're supposed to be able to go up five pounds (and ten pounds for deadlift) of your max 3x5 every workout, without doing anything in between.
Am I just genetically unable to make it? Should I just focus on mental and bank gains? I'm a freshman in a top ten global CS program, so that's probably the easier route, but I wanted to become Veeky Forums as well to live the perfect life...
Or do I just lower my goals and slow down progress? I've always liked working hard and achieving goals quickly, and I thought I could just linearly progress my way to 1/2/3/4 in 4-6 months, but that already sounds unrealistic.
Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

Yes.

>I thought I could just linearly progress my way to 1/2/3/4 in 4-6 month
>he doesnt know about e-stats

eat more, sleep more, creatine, deload

you obviously know all the answers, you should be smart enough with your le top ten cs program, yet you bothered posting this miserable blogpost. come on

Switch to a split where you only squat heavy once a week. You'll enjoy it again, though you won't progress as fast.

I'm on a 4 day split where I squat heavy on Monday and do more volume on Thursday.

I did SL 5x5 and I loved squating twice a week.
My numbers shot up

Are you eating enough? Sleeping enough? Resting between sets long enough?

Do you mind telling what workout you're using?

>Starts at 20kg lower than 5 rep max
>wonders why he plateaus is 2 weeks

Drop the weights WAAAAYYYY down first month should be mostly form correction and practice,

I don’t know what you squat but first time I started SS I was doing 35 kg for squats, 5x5 then 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 65 and then had my first failure at 70 kg went back down to 50 kg and then hit my next failure at 75kg. I just assume that’s how it goes and you work from there, this was only taking whey, and next time I get the chance to work out like I used to il be onto creative and whey,

You’re not eating enough. Seriously, SS ONLY works if you’re eating a lot of food. Since you’re skinny just eat as much as possible as often as possible just to see if you make gains or not

I was 60 kilos at the beginning of the year, and only started being conscious about eating more than usual recently, but I've already gone up to 70kg, so I think I'm doing decently when it comes to that.
I'm not sure how much sleep is optimal - I typically get 6 or 7.5 hours, which is more than I would sleep in the past.
Also not sure how long rests are supposed to be. I think I do about one-two minutes during worksets.
And I'll look into SL, thanks.

firstly that's not even SL, you should be squatting three times a week
secondly SL is suboptimal
that's not SS

all you stupid retards need to read the fucking book.

>doing SS but no GOMAD
There is your problem

Food. You're gonna need food. You claim to be good at getting over mental blocks? Prove it. Start eating big or you'll stall forever

Suboptimal how

5x5 is too much volume for a beginner, you will peak too early, for squatting anyway
then SL advocates lowering the volume to 3x5 and then 3x3 when you begin to fail, which is the complete opposite of what you should do - you should increase the volume, not decrease it. Any further gains are illusory at that point, and at that point you should probably consider moving to an intermediate programme, like The Bridge, once you get near 120-130 kilos on your squat (for most people)

If this is your first experience lifting let me tell you what I learned when I started in high school (also a skinny ass CS fag).
Eat, and be conscious that you are likely eating too little. Just how people overeat without noticing you will probably be undereating.
Don't worry about progressing every single workout, this is not do or die. Prioritize form and a well executed set. After you complete a session with well executed form, up the weight.
As long as you are working out and eating you will go up. When you should start worrying is if you can't up the weight in an entire week.
This is about a system of consistency with slight adjustments, start by correcting and ensuring your fundamentals are right. You're only a week in, you've got a long way to go.

there's more to bulking than gaining weight man. how much protein do you get daily?
Are you using myfitnesspal?

Only doing it for 3 months. So I'm figuring I'll either swap before I plateau or I outlift it and deload for a couple weeks before moving on.

don't bother deloading
keep going until you start to fail
unless you find yourself taking 10+ minutes between sets, in which case its time to do an early intermediate program
you might find yourself intermediate on some lifts but still novice on others, in which case you can take the early intermediate programming for those lifts and continue doing a linear one on the others

I'm 0.5/1/1/1 atm. Hoping my squats and deadies start to break away soon

I think I get enough? I usually get two scoops of whey protein, and eat chicken/tuna often. But yeah, I should probably start tracking what I'm eating to be sure.

Thanks, appreciate the advice :)

How is that possible? Are you actually not eating and sleeping? How much are you squatting right now? If you've decently strong legs you may not be able to make progress that fast.

>Also squats feel absolutely terrible and unenjoyable
I absolutely hate squats too, but I still did them 3x a week when I was doing SL. If you're good at overcoming mental barriers it shouldn't be a problem

I think GPLP is better than SS, even more if you're not doing accesories. Also, eat more and try to sleep ~8 hours at night.

Also former runner. One thing that was hard for me to accept is that I wasn’t “good at breaking mental barriers,” I was just talented at running. You probably are too. What we’re feeling or have felt lifting is what other people feel trying to improve at running. Also, as noted below, people e-stat like crazy. Take it slow, eat more, sleep more, be patient, deload and build back up occasionally (just like in running). Doing 1/2/3/4 is like a 4:30 mile. Any decent sized high school is gonna have a few kids who can do it but it takes at least a modicum of talent and dedication.

1/2/3/4 in 6 months is impossible for most natty beginners. If you're really plateauing you probably need to eat and sleep more, which if you're a skinnyfat freshman then you're probably not doing enough of either, and probably drinking a lot too.

For the mental barriers thing, well, shit. It can help to work with a bro, or have a trainer to start.

Ayyy, former runner here too.
I'm doing ss as well. Are you tracking your progress, eating well, not smoking/drinking/etc? I've been on it since valentines day and I'm making progress. you only started a week ago, so your body probably still isn't used to it yet.
Keep at it user. I can say with confidence that it's working for me. If you can't up the weight then don't. You were a runner, you know shit gets easier when you do it more. I was doing SMPs today and I can only do 70 which is what I was doing on Monday and they're hard as balls but I'm up from 60 from my first workout. But my squats have vastly improved from 100 -> 125.
You've only been at it for a week. Keep at it.

I was doing 155 today, but I feel like I wouldn't go down as far as I'm supposed to for when I was doing the 4th/5th reps of the sets. I almost feel more comfortable benching 1 plate than squatting the same, which worries me since I frequently hear people squatting nearly as much as they're deadlifting, which for me at the moment seems an unrealistic goal.
>probably drinking a lot too
Nah, I've never been cool enough to ever drink or do drugs in high school, and now that I've become dedicated to eating healthy, I'll probably avoid it as much as possible for the rest of my life.

I don't think 5x5 is too much volume at all, what would you have them do? You also have to understand that it's a hybrid program intended to show results both in visible muscle as well as strength.

The reason it's popular and good for beginners is that they can actually make gains and won't give up after two weeks because they don't think anything at all has changed with their body.