Fellas, I recently found out that I had two slipped disks...

Fellas, I recently found out that I had two slipped disks. I've been told that it's not serious enough to require surgery, but it will remain like that for the rest of my life even with physical therapy and that I should never deadlift ever again. Even though the slipped disks happened due to squatting.
I'm 19 and this is the most crushing news I've heard in my life. Any of y'all ever recover from some shit like this? Please share, I really require the moral boost cuz I'm close to slitting my wrists open.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9SKuFe2SERs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is why you don't work out with garbage form.
Also discs don't "slip" didn't your amerimutt doctor explain you that? Did you get an MRI? How big is the bulge?

>not serious enough to require surgery

if you have money that ain't a problem

>19 years old
>back issues already
Want me to tell you how I know you're overweight and have shitty posture?

Just do leg extensions and curls if you want aesthetic legs you fucking whiny girl

Can't deadlift? Do weighed chin ups and pull ups to work the upper body and abs. Can't squat? Leg extensions, calf raises.

Fuck, it's true

I did get an MRI. They're both fairly small bulges, but one of them is a little farther than the other
What do you mean?
I don't want aesthetic you cunt, I wanna be able to lift big

I've been in the same situation. I stopped training for years and was in constant pain until I started training again recently. Strengthening the core helped me get rid of the pain. Stretching the hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, hanging from bars and doing pilates also seems to help.
I still do deadlifts and squats, but if you don't have proper mobility and form you should avoid them for now.

Give it some time for the inflammation from the initial shock of the injury to go down. Ibuprofen helps with swelling like that.

Stretch, fix posture, get some chiropractor work maybe?

You'll be pain free and lifting *carefully* in a few months. Cheer up!

Not being able to lift again is just a meme. I slipped a L4/L5 disc and I can still deadlift 465. 28 years old btw and slipped the disc about 5 years ago

>What do you mean?
He's saying you can still opt for surgery and pay out of pocket if you have the money. Just because your doctor thinks surgery isn't required doesn't mean it isn't an option.

Before you do that, most insurances allow for a second opinion. Take your images to a Sports Medicine doctor, tell him you want to be able to deadlift again (or whatever you're looking to do). He will approach it from a standpoint of trying to get you back to high athletic activity. Still might not require surgery, which would be good.

Also, slipped discs do generally heal over time, so what the fuck? I had 3 bulging discs in my lumbar in 2012, in 2015, my spine had no anomalies. I did lots of PT though.

As a physiotherapist it makes it furious to hear these stories about people who get mindfucked by inconsiderate uneducated doctors. Research is quite clear that telling people shit like this is one of the main causes of chronic pain.

OP, first of all forget your MRI. It's worthless. Secondly, a "slipped disc" (a disc cannot actually physically slip) is not a death sentence, and regardless of whether or not they spontanously improve (they might) you can still become 100% symptom free and live a pain free life.

So here's the morale boost: it's no big deal. Yes, a low back injury can hurt like nothing else you've ever experienced, but treat it like any other injury and you'll be fine.
Don't actively aggravate the pain. A physio can help you figure out what positions and loads are currently not well tolerated by you (this is temporary).
Do keep training and moving and live your life.
Don't take pain killers, especially not opioids.
And for the love of God and all things holy, don't even consider surgery for a second.
And finally, trust your body. Even straight up fractured bone heal (not saying it won't take time or work to rehab, but you'll get there)

Am also a PT and second this advice. Find a PT who also has a strength and conditioning cert (CSCS).

It's been 4 months since the injury my friend. But thank you for the kind words. I hope I can.
Haven't been to the gym since the injury
Thank god, I hope I can.
What training do you think I should keep doing? Would you like to see my MRIs?
I see, I will consult a sports doctor.
Thank you, I shall look for one.

>I'm 19 and this is the most crushing news I've heard in my life.
You live a very kushy pampered life then. You sound spoiled.

search YouTube for Stuart McGill. Good luck

squats and deadlifts are totally safe they said

they can't not cause your life long injuries they said

Watch the YouTuber remi Sullivan he gives good advice. It saved my life.

I had a herniated disc from deadlift. Do physical therapy, and read all of Stuart McGill's article on maintaining a healthy back. If you are smart about it, you will be able to deadlift and squat just fine. I deadlift more now than when I injured myself.

Med fag here. Natural history of all back pain is to get better with no intervention. Don't actively put yourself in danger by performing movements that cause pain, but the best thing you can do is get stronger. I blew my L5 about 14 months ago. Not saying it's been easy. It's actually been really depressing some times, but I took my squat from 385 to 455. So, there's that.

This video really helped me
youtube.com/watch?v=9SKuFe2SERs
My back was kind of broke for a few months, now I can normally do deadlifts.