When did you realize he's a hack (besides SS)? For me...

When did you realize he's a hack (besides SS)? For me, it was when he said "power" was 100% genetic and vertical jump height was indicative of raw power and cannot be improved. Like, is he fucking retarded?

He never said it can't be improved
It's 90% genetics though

What do you mean he's a hack "besides SS"?

Do you have any evidence that proves him wrong besides your opinion?

It's not genetic. It's like saying any other physical feat is genetic. There's dudes who have improved their vertical by like 2 feet specifically because they did activities that would improve it- power cleans, hip thrusts etc. Usually anyone who plays basketball and isn't super tall does this. Saying that things like that are genetic is retarded- there's a genetic/childhood nurture component. The rest is up to you, and not believing that is setting yourself up to fail.

Does he have any scientific evidence whatsoever that corroborates his extreme claims?

He has coached thousands of people and that is the conclusion he has made based on his experience and the experience of other coaches.

Are you aware that no such scientific evidence even exists because no one would bother studying something like this

honestly, SS is a good program.. if you're a twink. People on Veeky Forums come here in all forms and are told "Do SS". SS imho isn't made for fatties looking to lose weight and get "fitter" you could achieve more desirable results doing some cardio and fixing your diet as a fatty. You don't need to eat 5k calories unless you're a twink.

Also the whole jumping thing, idk about it. He does say you can improve it with lifting/plyo but he says to a certain degree it comes down to genetics. But that's like saying EVERYTHING comes down to genetics. You could have some fatty who can't jump for shit and then train him like a beast until he's got a 50inch vertical and say "it wasn't the training it was just genetics all along, he was just overweight."

Yeah the whole genetics thing is pretty anecdotal and situational as fuck. Unless you're a fucking Super scientist and run extensive tests you can't know if you train someone to jump high if they were "genetically predisposed to it" all along. Or if it was in fact the training.

>never coached a single athlete in his life

dismissed

>Climate change is a hoax
>never strech your muscles, being stiff is actually good
>never run, or do cardio for that matter
>any adult male over 25 has a bulging disc
>any adult male should weight at least 200 lbs
>shill for The Press with a stupid back lean
>if i say " the process by which " i'll sound smart r-right ?

Vertical leap is much, much *less* trainable than squat max and that's all he said.

you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded

Are you an athlete? If you aren't, then his experience training regular people is even more meaningful for you.

i don't get the whole "never stretch" pushed by him and the barbell medicine guys. Can someone explain to me?

if you trained just as hard and were just as dedicated would you be able to compete with olympic world class high jumpers? No, because genetics, they are genetic freaks, yes you can improve and get better, but only so far as your genetic potential.

all i'm saying is i'd rather listen to sheiko

>"the process by wHich"
kek I actually read that in that retarded accent of his.

way to make a whole post saying literally nothing.
some people have a higher potential than others, who knew.
also why do americans use the word "genetics" so much? it's just such a weird way of putting it. while it's essentially true it just sounds like some cope. like they think some people have "athlete" genes and some people don't, when it's really just a spectrum.

it's almost like they're trying to sound scientific or something. the rest of the world just calls it "ability", "being gifted/good at something"

seeing the word "genetics" every other sentence in strength & conditionning articles and stuff is starting to trigger me.

>There are genius in this world so really there i no point in studying in school, you won't get better

great argument man why don't you jump of a fucking cliff while you're at it, spare us your "genetics" from spreading please

If you're gonna stretch, do dynamic stretching instead of static. Static is not good for lifting

>haha lazy fucking fatties and their "'''genetics"""
>w-well I'm not explosive c-cuz of muh genetics. IT'S DIFFERENT OK!?!?

Isn't the vertical jump like the best test to test a athletes explosive power? Like yeah it can be trained to a degree but that won't improve the genetic capacity for explosive power. Like with boxers, you can train their punching power but some just have more fast muscle fibres or whatever the fuck is causing high explosiveness and that is largely genetic.

In SS it says that overweight people do the program while eating at a deficit. A lot of other people also recommend to lift and eat at a deficit rather then doing cardio and deficit.

please point to where i said you shouldnt train or work hard to get better faggot

It's hilarious to see him spout so much bullshit and yet no one dares to contradict him because he has attained the guru status

Yes I fucking could m8. Some meme records and sports are created specifically for people with some freakish attribute, like basketball is for lanklets, but it doesn't mean they have good genes or are awesome athletes. At NBA level, you gotta be pretty consistent obviously. Like other posters have noted, "genetic predisposition" is such an immeasurable thing.

Somewhere out there, in this world of 7+ billion, is one guy, or a couple of guys, that are predisposed to being, for example, the best sprinters the world could ever see. Usain Bolt set a damn good record, but these guys could beat it. And what are the odds that these guys are ever going to get the chance to discover and develop this ability and compete? For all we know, one of them could be a chink dying of lead poisoning.

None of this genetic shit ultimately matters. Americans simply have a fascination with voyeurism and are never gonna make it.

A lot of the things he says actually come with diagrams related to the physics involved, and make sense from a scientific point of view.
He also talks a bunch of shit about things he doesn't like, but those are quite easy to spot since he doesn't actually give real explanations.

According to them it goes something like:
Stretching is for people who have a mobility issue during an exercise, or will probably extend a muscle in an unforseen way. Barbell exercises have very defined forms and rom, so stretching is mostly useless (unless you're failing to perfom full rom/form), and can even be detrimental to power production.

Fast twitch muscle fibers can be developed, like anything else

He never said power was genetic. He said “your ability to explode” is genetic. He was making a comparison between the fast lifts and slow lifts. The slow lifts are trainable for a lifetime.

This x1000

To a certain degree. You can develope your all you want but you wont reach olympic levels of sprinting. FUCKTART

>It's like saying any other physical feat is genetic.
it is, response to training has a huge genetic component

you can't straightfacedly Ed Coan deadlifted 435 at 130 his first time touching a barbell as a teenager because he worked really hard

He's talking about an actual vertical jump, the standing vertical, which is done with the slightest bend in the knees, as opposed to you squatting down and then exploding up. Try both and see for yourself, he's absolutely right. You can up your vertical jump like crazy, but you can't up your standing vertical much at all.

I think some of his quotes/beliefs like in are ridiculous, but a hack? That's a bit much. Mike Change is a hack, Rip is just a dogmatic asshole.

Literally how do you even know

You retard.
You can train your display of this power but once you reach your genetic cap you cannot improve it. There is someone who will always be able to jump higher no matter how much harder you train because of his genetics, even if you’re relatively equal in stature.
That is what he meant.

There’s evidence proving that stretching before lifting weights is actually detrimental to your workout and can increase your risk of injury, while stretching AFTER lifting will actually have the exact opposite effects.

You're retarded. I saw this as a guy who plays a lot of pick-up basketball with DYEL urban yoofs who do NO training outside of playing basketball and can dunk.

T. Copeing genetic failure

In terms of things like GOMAD, majority of the nutritional aspects, and working squats everyday in the base SS program I disagree with. Other than that, Rippetoe is a master of form, muscular growth and training. Read the Starting Strength book and quit bringing up unrelated shit such as his views on climate change or politics or whatever because if you had the chance you'd have a beer with the fuckin guy and lift sum heavy ass weights with him yelling "hip drive"

All this is correct except for stretching and cardio