Noko

Need your help Veeky Forumsizens

Been lurking for 8 years now, during which time I've gone through uni and have almost finished a PhD in cardio-metabolic sciences.
Basically spending the rest of my life trying to help the public get in control of their health & fitness, and low-key fighting against fatties and the 'beetus.

One of the things I've got to do as part of the communications outreach for the university is a couple of youtube videos to inform the public, basically explaining the science behind weight loss and all related information.
My problem is that since I've been so deeply involved in this all, I can't see it from an outside perspective anymore.
This is what I'm asking for your help with.

What is it that you want to understand about heath and fitness? Or what do you think the public need to understand?
I've understandably got access to the most up to date data there is, and some of my labs experiments won't be written up for a few years so I'm ahead of the literature here.
I've mostly worked on fat, but have had a few years with muscle work.

In short, what is it that you think the public doesn't know, that would help them with getting fitter?
I'm basically trying to arm them with knowledge

* forgot to say.

We're including a bit on how alcohol, cannabis etc. affect it.
Including looking into intermittent fasting vs keto etc. and all that jazz

We're working on things like 'how does hunger work', 'how does fat loss work/ how to lose fat most effectively', 'how does diabetes work and how can I prevent/ cure it' etc.

Effectively, what're the things you/ the public would like the actual science behind, as opposed to just popular opinion?

look into why im such a big faggot bitch

also in a PhD program here, but in genetics.

I think a few things that catch the laymen's eyes these days are:

brown fat - what it is/what it does (aka talk about diff types of fat)

effects of sleep/sleep deprivation on fitness (and on the dev. of neurodegenerative disease/ beetus etc)

what the most effective and scientifically proven ways to lose fat are

Does eating your own ejectulate improve your grains/maintain protein levels

why does my shit sometimes come out soft but solidify in the water and clog up the toilet?

answer why do i have no gf

A nice animation showing muscles working and them growing after(the entire process) wouldn't hurt

Different types of fat is definitely a good idea, but may leave out bone marrow fat to keep things simple. Same for sleep.

What's your area of genetics?

Would it be interesting to go into what's different in the muscle after growth?
Or is the average person more interested in growth, but not interested in the underlying changes?

>What is it that you want to understand about heath and fitness?
The OPTIMAL way to do things. Currently if you want to know things like the pace at which you should cut eating how much protein there's a variety of opinions and no definitive proof, probably due to lack of clinical trials.
>Or what do you think the public need to understand?
Just having them understand calories and macros, and that it's generally not a genetic problem, and that everyone hates fat people and look down on them and it won't change ever, and that losing weight is a lifestyle change, not a 3 month spurt, would probably help.
Also maybe something about how much muscle you can build realistically without using roids.

Biggest things the general public doesn't seem to get in my experience:
>calories in/calories out is scientific fact
>weight/fat is lost from diet not exercise
>almost any drink besides water/milk is high in sugar and calories
>if you count calories/macros and stick to it you will lose weight

If alcohol or weed lower test make it known in all caps otherwise can't see how it matters.

The problem tends to be the opposite - that there are too many trials out there and they're not conducted properly.
Hadn't thought about the lifestyle change bit but it's completely true, thank you.

100% agree that this is fundamental, and most of what will need to be in it is tackling the uneducated opinion of fools on the internet who insist otherwise

Good so far guys, keep it coming.
Almost treat it as a low level QTDDTOT thread for people just starting

I don't want to be too specific bec it aint too big of a field, but epigenetic inheritance/chromatin structure/regulation by RNAi

I can certainly touch on that

why do we need any body fat at all? and why do I always feel like shit when I cut down do

For years we thought body fat was just a store for energy, like the body's version of a patrol tank.
We now know that body fat plays a huge number of key and intricate roles in the brain's function and in hormone processing. Also really important in females for reproduction.

There's a change that

*Petrol tank

Is there any way to make your muscles (or for that matter, your liver) more efficient at storing glycogen? Am I right in assuming that bigger muscles can contain more glycogen and thus have superior endurance than smaller muscles?

wtf I love fat now

Is it theoretically possible to receive all your nutrition intraveneously? Like if you stopped eating and drinking and just had an IV delivering water, sugar, vitamins etc? Would disuse damage your digestive system?