I have noticed over the years that a lot of Veeky Forums is anti deadlift. What I want to know is...

I have noticed over the years that a lot of Veeky Forums is anti deadlift. What I want to know is, what do you think people should be doing instead? Don't tell me you don't do any back exercises.

>a lot of Veeky Forums is anti deadlift.

uhh are you fat, dumb, or stupid?

I have seen countless threads where the majority of posters jerk each other off about how deadlifts are a useless and dangerous exercise. I can't tell if you are agreeing with them or saying they don't exist.

I would do them but I can't figure out proper form.
It's like some kind of occult ritual.

Just pick it up

So what do you replace it with user? Nothing? Do you just have a jelly back and expect nothing bad to happen down the road either in lifting or in your day to day life when you need to lift something and think "i''m strong, I can totally lift that" and then break your back carrying a couple of boxes.

i'm saying if you're considering not deadlifting you're either fat, dumb, or stupid. so decide which one you are before proceeding with other posterior chain exercises.

>Do you just have a jelly back.
No I'm skelly not jelly

bent over rows, low rows, hyper extensions, a shit ton of pull ups

>Machine rows (kek)
>Bent over barbell rows which aren't any safer

>bent over rows are not safer than deadlifts
>"kek"
>not using machine rows for hypertrophy
the absolute state of Veeky Forums

Deadlifts are somewhat useless from a bodybuilding perspective, as you can make slight adjustments and it will target specific muscles more, and cause less overall fatigue.

For example you could preform stiff legged deadlifts and take your quads out of the equation. You’ll be lifting less weight, but ectivating the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back more.

On the other hand you could preform rack pulls or rack power shrugs and get much more benefit for your back without gassing out your legs.

>Machine rows
Literally why?
Also Dead lifts are no more dangerous than Bent over rows. They both require proper form to prevent back injury.

>Dead lifts are no more dangerous than Bent over rows

nice complete asspull based on absolutely nothing

also anyone suggesting rows as a replacement for deadlifts is a retard, you should be replacing a hip hinge movement with other hip hinge movements not with a row variation

do any hip hinge movement instead, SLDLs and RDLs are the usual choice for bodybuilders

Can you explain why Deads are worse than Barbell rows?

use common sense here

deadlifts are loaded much heavier than barbell rows

alternatively, lift for a few years and get to know other people who have been lifting for years, and then look at how many of those people have back injuries caused by deadlifts vs. barbell rows

You literally have no way of knowing if they do both.
>common sense
Not an actual scientific argument

Romanian or SLD are way better

let's see your scientific reasoning for
>Dead lifts are no more dangerous than Bent over rows.

i'm sure it's backed up by hard science and an entire few months of lifting experience, like most people who make these types of moronic statements

Yeah, both can cause serious back injury if done improperly.

Body building vs functional strength.
Of course fit is anti deadlift, that won't get mires on cbt.

>Yeah, both can cause serious back injury if done improperly.
this does not mean there's an equal chance of back injury

nearly every single back injury you hear about related to lifting is caused by deadlifts or squats

>TFW started lifting specifically because I wanted to be able to carry my GF at a moments notice if I ever needed too
>She started lifting to be able to do the same thing to me
Nothing more attractive than being dead lifted by your GF

>He doesn't squat either
Come on now nigga.
Also most of the back injuries you see is from faggots lifting way more than they can to show off

i do both, i'm just not a fucking idiot newfag DYEL who pretends exercises with high spinal loading are not responsible for more back injuries than exercises without high spinal loading

I stopped doing deadlifts for a bit because I couldn't heal up from the fatigue quick enough for leg day to be worthwhile. Right now I do T-bar rows and back extensions, and just focus on isolating the lower back.

Deadlifts are safe, but not if you're doing 1rm twice a week for life. You have to take it easy with them just like anything else or it'll start effecting you.

t bar row is better in every way to bent over rows and deadlifts for back growth. It's also much safer for your lower baclk

I have been wanting to do T-Bar rows.
Anyone know how they compare to Barbell rows?

I only ever skip dl when my hamstrings are still sore from leg day. Sometimes i do romanians instead.

this place has always obsessed over functional strength (as if that's actually a thing)

because deadlifting with a perfectly cylindrical balanced bar with spinning collars to prevent torque at the wrists is very functional, but if you use a trap bar instead it suddenly becomes totally useless, or if you move your stance out it becomes completely useless, or if you pull from small blocks, or if you do RDLs/SLDLs, etc.

it's all stupid, all strength is functional, you can get very strong doing RDLs, conventional DLs, sumo DLs, trap bar DLs, block pulls, etc it makes no fucking difference unless you compete and need to demonstrate strength on one particular lift

I think that's just because they're more popular exercises

says the still in highschool dyel manlet

yeah keep doing deadlifts for muh strength buddy. If you're still doing deadlifts past 4 plates you're just memeing through 2018. good luck

>fat dumb or stupid
>dumb or stupid
i think you've overestimated yourself

kek

Pretty hostile response for a reasonable question from someone spectating the deadlift/anti-deadlift discussion desu

I dead lift to pass the time if my gym bro is late.

He often asks, oh we doing legs today again user?
Nah just doing a warm up, pass the time
Why do you always dead lift user?
Because I can

I only deadlift like once a week desu. I am more used to hexbar deadlift from high school/college football days, but don't feel like buying one for my home gym for one/two exercises.

i'm pro-deadlift, but there are other ways to work out your back like rows and pullups/downs.

while it isn't bad to search for alternatives you should at least try something and work through your issues with it before giving up on it.

Yes deadlift is one of the easiest exercises to get injured and this scares a lot of pussies away. Although if you use good form you will be fine for the most part

When i started lifting, i had problems with my knee due to restling injury, i couldnt squat heavy or deadlift, so my trainer advised me weighted hyperextensions, you just hold the barbell weights hanging with your arms straight, i got to 80kg for reps, you might need some help to remove bench that you pick them up from with big weights. Once my knee healed i could do 180 kg deadlifts in no time.

because they are a waste of time.

>doing a lift whose name literally begins with the word "dead"
>expecting to live after performing said lift
>Veeky Forums is anti deadlift
i couldn't imagine why

Do you feel Deads more in your hammies or low back?

Well, first of all I'd like to say I'm not against deadlifting. it's a good exercise if done correctly that builds strength quite nicely.
It does however have downsides: not great for muscle building, takes your body a lot o time to recover from, involves both back and posterior leg muscles so that it can be difficult to program in unless your days are specifically designed around powerlifting.

To my best understanding you want something to replace the part of the movement that works your back. In that case I suggest rack pulls. Pull your shoulders back as you come up and maintain your body erect holding the weight for up to 3 seconds if you wanna give your traps a nice workout every once in a while. Wider grip will put more focus on your lats.

This works the traps, erectors and lats. I suggest you get a pair of wrist straps if you want to do this because your forearms will give up long before your back does.

>"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"
>dies doing deadlifts

What did he mean by this?

Look up Mark Rippetoe's video on it, but don't be too autistic about form because at low weights it's not too important, and you'll teach yourself as you go.

>deadlift
>back exercise

>be me
>curling in the curl rack
>suddenly some fat guy comes in and takes the bar out of the rack next to me
>what.mp3
>then he puts a pair of shrugging plates on the bar
>I think "okay maybe his form is just a little weird"
>he picks the bar up but forgets to actually shrug
>then he forgets four more times
>he adds another set of shrugging plates
>repeats the madness
>I'm not even working out any more, just watching this play out
>he adds a THIRD set of shruggies
>and winks at me
>lifts up the bar
>half-rotten zombie arms burst up from the ground and drag me down into a dark oblivion
fucking necromancers

>a lot of Veeky Forums is anti deadlift
no, it's not. I assume you're baiting for (You)s.