/fast/ #137 -

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

last

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vQoB_6uueqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>If you go 48 hours and start feeling dizzy and sick, you should take the snake.
For 24 hour fasts it’s not necessary.

>Use the small spoon with a little top or the medium spoon without.

what then i shouldnt have bought the lo salt if i dont plan to go more than 48h ?

I think I have cancer, on my skin.
going to doc tomorrow to let him decide.
If it is. how long is a contineous dry fast possible, and how difficult is it to live 100% carbs free?

seventeen hours into my first fast. So far so good, using God as a motivation to continue.

What should I expect come dinner time?

So i only have to drink snake juice if i do more than 48h ? if i dont do more than 48h i dont have to drink snake juice never ever? also what should i eat every 48 h ? what food ? what protein, fat or hc? how much of what? please answer, thnanks

It can be used on a 48 hour fast if you start feeling a bit sick.
It’s just that it’s only a necessity for your health when you go a bit longer than that.
Eat whatever you want. It depends on your goals.

ok thanks

It might get a bit more difficult for the next 12 hours or so but it gets easier after that. Your body is depleting your glycogen stores in the liver, once you transition to full keto mode it gets a lot easier.

If my eyes turn yellow from fasting, should I visit a doctor?

Are you taking your snake juice? Anyway I would see your doctor if you are developing jaundice

It just means you've achieved Sith Lord mode, keep going for unlimited power

Decent chance you have Gilberts syndrome. The yellowing of the eyes of slight jaundice of the skin is pretty normal for those with Gilberts.

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream, but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic.

All the recent posts about fasting destroying gains somehow managed to spook me for a minute, despite my own experience suggesting otherwise. I need to spend less time on Veeky Forums - every single topic just becomes people with conflicting opinions insisting that anyone who'd disagree with them is an absolute retard, and it's making it harder for me to get to a point of actually listening to & understanding my body rather than dogmatically adhering to whatever random shit I saw on the internet that week.

Used to be fit, 6,0 180lbs benching around 275 max. Got prescribed anti psychotics for some mental issues now im up to 240lbs. Feel like shit all my confidence came from my body. Thinking about fasting. Should I?

I would certainly recommend it. Especially because it helps a lot with your brain as well as insanely fast weight loss

It my experience, it's better to underdose on potassium. Too much and you'll pee out your butt.

I'm a brainlet who doesn't want to poison himself by being retarded. What are the ratios of potassium and sodium on the back of your losalts guys?

Per 100g Mrs Rogers low sodium salt has 13000mg of sodium and 24200mg of potassium

So if I / those by 6 (16grams) I get 4033mg of potassium and 2166mg of sodium.

This dude recommends bodybuilders try fasting.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQoB_6uueqU

On the third week of keto + IF. Feels great and the fasting is easy after keto adaption. Only problem is the wolfing down 2k calories in one sitting part. Maybe I should drink some olive oil straight.

This might be it. I searched up Gilberts and it seems to match when I get jaundice (24-72h after beginning the fasting). Thanks.

Please help I'm so fucking hungry, usually I can easily do 48 hours but it's been about 20.

Had black coffee alot but it's not helping and I've got an essay to write. I don't fast frequently if that's relevant

Beginning a 10 day fast just now - I've managed 24hrs before easily, want to see how far I can push this. Wish me luck brahs.

I'm not sure you have your numbers right there it says 49% salt so it should have more than 13g of sodium per 100 grams

Fasting is hell if you're eating carbs on a daily basis and then just stop eating completely. I did that a bunch of times, had headaches for days. Now I go keto first and then fast.

you're probably right but the previous times I've done it without going keto first. I've got 200 cals of chicken in the fridge should I eat just that or would just 200 cals make it worse?
I could just buy more if so

Why are you fasting?

lose weight/ health benefits

If you are feeling really bad and it hinders you writing an essay for school, I think you should break the fast and eat the chicken.
It’s a good amount to start with, instead of gorging completely. Eat the chicken, wait a bit, and then maybe eat a normal meal.
In the long run of your entire life, it really doesn’t matter if you end up “only” fasting for 20 hours this time.

Yeah I guess, just annoying. thanks for help

Well stick that chicken in the freezer and keep at it. It will get easier and the health benefits won't really kick in until like 24h+

Eat and write the essay, fast when lower performance doesn't matter. Your marks are more important. Other than that I'd try to avoid eating less when you do it, either go full daily requirement or don't eat at all.

Need motivation to fight off food cravings, 3 days into my first 1 week water fast. Also, unsure if apple cider vinegar is ok. Have heard mixed advice

idk its just what it says on the back per 100g

It'll subside on day 4 or 5, almost there. Just drink a lot.

You're forgetting the chlorine.

The numbers are right.

If you're keto adapted you're gonna make it.

I'm on day eight. I'm happy I'm doing this, losing weight and such but this is not fun. I'm obsessed with food all the time.

Awesome, I've never gone that long. Is it getting a lot worse more recently?

>day 33
>seven more days to go
>hunger is back and worse than ever
kill me

No I'm just bored. I've been fantasizing about how I'm going to eat when I break my fast. I cooked my wife a salmon fillet yesterday and it just put me in a bad mood.

how long can i safely fast w/o food or water?

With some practice, you can go five days. But that is for people with serious experience and good health. Not beginners.

Do any of you guys have issues sleeping? How do you deal with it?

Also is there any proof of the loose skin actually going away from fasting?

ty

Sleeping issues are certainly common with fasting and the loose skin thing is related to dry fasting but I am also quite skeptical

I don't have any issues sleeping but I've always fallen asleep as soon as I lie down.

As far as lose skin, I can say anecdotally that it does tighten it up. I've noticed it in my face. Also I'm losing scars and skin tags which is neat

Personally I sleep like a baby and wake up easily in the morning while fasting.

How do you do it?

You really haven't eaten anything in 33 days?

I typically do 3 day fasts, cap and restart with one big keto meal, and start back on another 3 day fast afterwards. I'll snake up on days 2 and 3. I typically go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 8. Flux helps with not fucking up your eyes with blue light at night and I don't bring my phone to bed with me but instead leave it on my desk set to 8 and 9 am alarms.

I've done longer fasts but they were mainly during times when I was completely bombed out and slept like I didn't give a shit about life. I'm talking 16 hours a day spent in bed levels of veg. I plan on going at a functional week long fast tomorrow after my current three day cycle is over since I have quite a bit of food to eat before it goes bad.

You are supposed to stop once hunger returns you retard.

Ignore this shill

Can smelling food spike insulin enough to inhibit hormone sensitive lipase and therefore shut down fat oxidization? If so how long would this inhibition persist for?

What, sleep? Fasting makes me tired

Cancer fag reporting in.

So I'm finishing up day 9 of my fast, day 8 of my first chemo course and I feel great all things considered. I've been walking the dogs twice a day morning and evening like normal, 2 miles both times. I've been going to work and haven't had any lost time or loss in productivity. I do have this feeling of "blech" which is starting to wear on me though.

I fasted the day before my first infusion and did some HIIT to exhaustion and collapse just on account of wanting to beat back some of the stress. recovered from that well enough.

I'm having a very difficult time with the fasting though. I cook the meals in the house and... Well left to their own devices it would be hot pockets, pizza rolls, and totinos pizzas for two weeks straight. But I'm managing to power though it. The other thing that's been difficult is missing my nightly two fingers of whisky.

I have been struggling to get a full nights sleep and I've only been averaging 4-6 hours a night. But despite that I'm not really experiencing any significant cognitive impact. Yesterday the kids were out of the house and I sat down and read a 450page book cover to cover for the first time ever. I've never managed to read for more than an hour without getting tired or bored.

I haven't been weight training. And just been walking the dogs, I did however go for a light 3 mile run yesterday and felt like I was gliding the whole time.

I haven't been doing a full fledged water-only fast, but instead supplementing with fat to minimize weight loss which is part of the conditions of treatment set up by the review board to approve the use of fasting as an adjunct to treatment.

My scale weight as of this morning was down 14lbs from 197.

>had a final cheat meal before I fast for a week+
>just realized it was a pretty big carb load
I'm gonna feel like shit lads

how long of a fast would it take for re-feeding syndrome to take effect?
i did a 72 hour snake/water fast and i wonder would i have to do the whole careful refeeding?

fat fuck (300lbs) reporting in. I can't find potassium where I live, do I still need to take it if i'm fat? Actual brainlet

After a week is when it becomes a possibility

I do a 60 hour fast every week

Longer than 72 hours, that's for damn sure. I usually jump straight into the big capstone meal with little prepping and I almost always fast for 72 hours. And this is a keto meal, not some pussy carb loaded light pansy bullshit. You'll be fine.

Have fun boyo.

You should take if if you're doing a long fast. You don't really need it if you're doing intermittent fasting

I really want to fast, but I'm currently living with my parents and they won't let me easily, like, I can cover it, not eating with them and etc. But if I suddenly buy potassium and sodium they will fuck the whole deal. And they will find it for sure.
Is there anything that i can eat to meet the requirements for fasting without just taking s+p+water?

planning on fasting till i'm not fat anymore, but here where i live (Germany) I can't seem to find NoSalt or anything like it

58 hours in. Trying a 504 hour fast and all I can think about is pic related. Can I OMAD with this after I cut to 160?

On snake juice fast, can I also drink regular water or can it only be snake juice?

20 hours into my first 48 and my mouth feels so dry and gross.

Whatever you drink in snake juice, drink the same amount of clean water.

Again, why are potassium and sodium the only shit you need to add to fast? Doesn't your body need more chemical shit?

How old are you? If you're older than 18 tell them to respect your ability to make a decision that will likely lead to self betterment.

Depends on how long you want to wait until the next fast. That many carbs will kill your gut if you try to jump back into a fast.

Im a maximum level neet

just spent the past hour or so going through everything in the op and then some, and im interested in fasting.
so from what i can gather, i should start with the 5:2! routine to "break the chains of addictions" (as the dude behind snake water puts it)? how long are you supposed to do that for? until youve reached your goal or are ready for longer spans of fasting?
what do you guys eat during your omad?
what about vitamins/minerals/omega-3s/etc? i take a multivitamin and flax oil seed daily
thanks in advanced

I'd cut to 150-160 then OMAD one of them a day for months. Currently 184 and lost 6 pounds

Do something good for yourself. Maybe slimming down a bit will boost your confidence slightly. Make it a first step towards not mooching off your parents. Unless they're fucked in the head they'll likely be happy with a small amount of independence on your part as long as you pitch it right. Either way choosing something for yourself whether you get it right or fuck it up tremendously will be good for you in the long run. You do want to make it, right?

Any Germanbrahs here know of a good potassium supplement?

Any canadian version of low salt/potassium replacement?

i think the stress from fasting fucks some people and they dont get good nights sleep.
2 things have given me good sleep
MEDITATION
COLD SHOWERS
sure im a wimpy omad faggot but still . try these proven stress relievers and get good sleep

Fatass trying to lose weight.
Im trying to do OMAD, but find some difficulty in the schedule.
Sometimes i fast for over 32h till the next meal, sometimes i only fast for 16h.
I also do cardio every weekday at late morning.
I think my lack of proper schedule is fucking me up, my body cant regulate its food times.
Is there a suggested schedule?

If you can do with only 1500 calories than just eat that. Since you are in Keto anyways it won't affect your metabolism, and your body will just burn more fat to make up for the calories not consumed.
I was doing OMAD with Keto at about 1000 cals a day and felt fine. I was 6'4'' 255 at that point.

is it bad to drink more than that amount in clean water?

sounds good cancerbro i hope you do well .
if you need help with hunger just look at this jpg
again good luck !

Sorry dude flax seed has estrogen it like soy

How does inna wood fast?

>Is there a suggested schedule?
with omad you pick the meal time . as long as you are only eating once a day i dont think changing the time matters much.

what's a good alternative omega 3 source for oatmeal? used to use flax all the time, now staying far away.

He's actually a binge eating bulimic. You can't tell?

>I have been struggling to get a full nights sleep and I've only been averaging 4-6 hours a night.
If you are feeling well when you wake up, its all okay.
How long do you intend to carry it on?
Best wishes and recovery

I saved your manhood here you can take this

-"do u want anything from mcdonalds?"
"No thanks, Im good"
-"ill bring u some nuggets anyway" *click*

Im in the same boat. Waste of money waste of food

Does anyone here actively measure their ketones level? Just got ketone test strips fory blood

Kek

yo this is basically the snake diet dude

I'm pretty glad I'm not overweight or even a little chubby.No food for 24 hours and I feel like I'm starving myself.I'm a foodie.

>Can't fit into old snow pants, my stomach is too big
>start doing IF
>2 months later
>snow pants fit just right
feels really good, guys.

I fasted for a while and felt fine.Now I'm back to a normal weight and eating great food all the time.It was hard fasting,and I'm glad i don't have to fast anymore.I'm a foodie too so you can imagine fasting sucked at first.I will admit it was an interesting experience.

Trying my first extended fast currently, nearing the end of the 4th day. Does the hunger ever completely go away? My hunger as of today and yesterday is certainly far less than it was the first 2 days of the fast, but it's still present. It's not even so much the severity of the hunger itself that's bothering me so much as it is the persistence. It's quite distracting, especially when a hunger wave hits. I also feel like the food cravings would be significantly more manageable if they weren't accompanied with this constant hunger. For what it's worth, as far as I can tell, I'm in ketosis right now, as my piss strips are coming out quite dark.

I'm 30lb overweight. Does anyone know how long it'd take to lose the weight while fasting? Used to play sports but I'm not overly muscular, just got a little bit left. Also 5'1 and have a small bone structure. I fasted a while back but it wasn't prolonged. I just want to drive myself into ketosis for two weeks atp.

> being Jewish during Biblical times
LOL

This is really cool. I wish you luck and pray everything works out. You should update somewhere.

farting like crazy on OMAD and snake juice/lemon juice/acv. does this go away or just turn into diarrhea

not enjoying farts

anyone know of cognitive effects of fasting on the brain? memory, spatial reasoning etc.
I have a big exam in less than a month and want to know if I should change my diet patterns leading up to it for maximum cognitive gains. Currently I do OMAD 5 days a week, and a 36 hour fast 1 day a week. I do not eat keto.
I was doing some research on this topic, and am finding conflicting results.
On the one hand Dr. Fung claims with historical and personal experience and some theory that it makes sense for our cognitive function to increase when fasting.
On the other hand for instance in the article, "Breakfast and Adult and Child Behaviors" by Smith in the book "Diet, Brain and Behavior" edited by Kanarek and Lieberman, the authors conclude that breakfast is good for cognition. The problem is that the results they give do not distinguish between people who eat breakfast regularly and people who skip it. I cannot find a study that does make this distinction and controls for it.

So what is the verdict on this issue? I have breakfast once a week when I break my 36 hour fast, should I do this on the day of my exam, or should I skip breakfast (and perhaps take some coffee) that day, for the maximum mental benefits?