What does Veeky Forums think about bouldering/rock climbing?

What does Veeky Forums think about bouldering/rock climbing?

That pic is lame af, but I love bouldering and roped climbing. Haven't had a lot of time to climb since I've been working an assembly job and looking for an engineering position.

Been trying to get into trad lately though. Don't have my own pro, but I can borrow a full rack from the outfitter used to work at anytime I want.

Fun as fuck. Will hit your back arms and core in ways you didn't know were possible.
Will also give you tendonitis if you try problems with smaller holds or are too heavy.

It's fun and all the people who do it seem to be friendly

There's no way I can say anything bad about the sport itself, but it seems to attract manlets and hipsters.

I've gone bouldering in a rock climbing gym twice. I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs so its not exactly easy but I still enjoy it. The forearm pump is sick. Like deadlift day x10.

Soy as fuck. Normies use it as an alternative to actually lifting.

i'm still dyel by Veeky Forums standards but my forearms and rear delts are pretty insane compared to everything else. i don't even climb that often any more (maybe once every 2 weeks) but afterwards my forearms look like fuckin popeye. hitting my rear delts is also a lot easier when lifting dumbbells, i feel like i have a better mind-body connection with them so it's easier to pump them up with bent over lateral raises.

Good to know the tendonitis is a common thing.
Just got a climbing membership and after attempting my first v3 I've had tendonitis for the past week. How long does it take to go away and do you build up a tolerance to it?

Pretty fun. I've only gone 5 times and plan on going again this week. Still need to learn proper technique, but my upper body strength has allowed me to climb some v3s already.

It took me a couple of weeks. Even then I could get some tendinitis if I went too hard.

Goat workout. Supplement your Lifting with some climbing and you’ll experience amazing gains.

T. Fag

If you have tendonitis this early, that means you're probably crimping the everloving shit out of every hold/not using your feet effectively/locking out your elbows way too much.

Try to make more of your power come from your legs and core with your arms stabilizing instead of using exclusively your arms to pull yourself up. Also, try to avoid using a full crimp on holds as much as possible or you're gonna end up exploding your joints.

pros
>fun as all hell
>low barrier to entry
>full body control makes it meditative
>hits the entire upper body minus chest/tris
>gets you /out/
>very social activity, community is friendly/welcoming
>essential training for mountaineering

cons
>climbing is a recent fad, and low barrier to entry means gyms will be crowded and filled with casuals
>easy to injure your pulley tendons
>builds no endurance
>resistance is bodyweight, so you will remain skelly if you start skelly even as you git gud

Funny that manlets suck at it because they can't reach the holds.

Try not to do crimp-y holds until you've built up some tendon strength, it takes time but it's worth the payoff of not having to take time off to heal.

Source: Climber for 6 years

climbing is pretty fun if you have good spots to do it outdoors. If you do it in a gym then you are entering dense soy territory

I want to get into it but I'm 6'3 and 215 lbs, will I always be at a disadvantage because of my height even when I become more fit and lose some weight?

Height really doesn't matter that much, especially for someone who is just starting out climbing. If anything taller people have an advantage when they just start out because they can reach past poor holds. Losing weight will make it so much easier too.

This.

Only reason normies love it is because you can't fail or look bad doing it. Aka soy shit.

Chicks do it just so they can wear tight clothing.

Fuck if chicks can do it too you know it's for soyboys.

>no endurance
Try saying that when you're half a fucking waterfall up and there is no way down.

>(u)

T. Manlet soyboy

I can't get into bouldering. I get it theoretically but I just can't bring myself to "climb" something I'm at the top of by jumping.

Slab climbing is cool though.

Amazing sports. Currently pushing to a V5

I would do it outdoors but I'm some 200 miles removed from the nearest hill. Shit sucks man.

OP here, didn't expect this thread to get any traction. I'm currently hitting some V5's but mostly stick with V4's. I live like 30 min away from a huge climbing gym, but the membership is stupid expensive... like $90 a month. My forearms are defined as fuck and its fun to climb. Downside is that the gym is infested with gays/dykes, hippies (the annoying ones that you'd find doing whippets at a Phish show), and hipster soybois. Climb qt's exist but usually end up being lesbian, unfortunately.

I must be lucky because I haven't seen anyone in the climbing gym I go to that looks like a soyboy. I wonder if it's because the local alpine club frequents it for training and orientation.

The uni gym in the next city over however, holy jesus what a collection of twinks and misfits.

Why would I do it if I could just work out instead and get better results in less time?

you supplement it w/ lifting cause it's fun and gets you ripped

First of all, lifting is fun, and I could just supplement lifting with more lifting instead. There is literally no benefit to climbing that you can't get better by lifting, the only argument I will accept is that you simply like it.

stfu fag

climbing mogs the fuck out of gymceling like a lab rat in a dungeon for muh gains

you're the one with insecurity rage atm

Free climbing looks fun as fuck. No helmets, no straps, no safety harnesses, no nets. Just you and your bare hands.