Dear Veeky Forums

Dear Veeky Forums,
How much would I have to deadlift to overcome the bite force of a crocodile? Bar weight negligible

bout tree fiddy nigguh

You can hold a crocs mouth shut with one hand.

Not happening. Even assuming (generously) its even possible to deadlift 3500+ pounds, you're working against gravity. Croc is having an easy ride, working with gravity's help.

yeah no shit idiot try prying it open when it clamps down.

Keeping crocs mouth from opening =/= stopping an open crocs mouth from fully closing

The latter is exponentially more difficult and nobody in their right mind or with a basic sense of self preservation would even attempt to do so.

Its very easy to steer clear of the fuckers.
Old Florida rule of thumb: all bodies of water you can't see the bottom of have an Alligator/Crocodile in it.

We’re gonna need the big guns.

there are no native crocodiles in the united states

gravity is only working on the weight of the crocs jaw, like maybe 10 pounds. otherwise yeah 3500 psi but I'm not sure how that converts to total weight

Hey fuckface

i learned something today

fuck I thought they were africa-exclusive

the Nile Crocodile is one of the largest.

Australia too. Their relatives have been around since the dinosaurs, and not much has changed with them since

If Steve Irwin were alive im sure he could tell us

Saltwater crocodile slammed their jaws shut with 3,700 pounds per square inch (psi), or 16,460 newtons, of bite force. By contrast, you might tear into a steak with 150 to 200 psi (890 newtons).

We need some nerd to covert that into dead weight, if possible.

about 40 pl8

They don't die of old age and grow throughout their lives.

It's bite is about 3690 pound-force. How can I convert force into mass?

I guess it wouldn't accelerate in OP image as he's already stopping the croc from biting down. You're right, it is 40 plate.

Crocodiles don't have senescence. That's a myth and was hyped for a while.

Hmm I know crocs are strong but I really don't think 40 plate is realistic considering the amount of muscle they have, the calculations of force never take into account torque, the fact that their snout is long means it will make it easier to pry it open.

their bite force is over 1000 pounds per square inch... good luck ever achieving a fraction of that strength

too soon

HAHAHA

fuck, why did he have to go? :(

R.I.P. you happy, beautiful, big man

>When you find out how scientifically illiterate most of fit is

You're not interested in mass, you're wanting weight (or more specifically force), which isn't the same thing. You're provided a number in pressure of psi (lbf/in^2), and you're trying to figure out how to convert to force. P = F/A (pressure = force/area).

So basically you can't get a real answer, unless you know what area was used to calculate the pressure. You could do estimates based on the area of the gators entire mouth, it's teeth (total area), or even a section of its mouth (say the size of a fish).

pussy

>
>
>
>I guess it wouldn't accelerate in OP image as he's already stopping the croc from biting down. You're right, it is 40 plate.

It isnt that simple, there is more maths involved im sure

Salties, the biggest of them all

16,460N is 1,678kg of force, so you'd need to DL that much

I'm in the FWC I get calls to people's houses all the time to get gators out of their pool. One time a smaller gator (maybe 4 feet) bit down on my partners hand hand . With one hand I was able to grab its snout and rip it's jaw open. Had to kill the gator afterwards because I tore the top of its head about halfway off. Thing was screaming loud as fuck it was terrifying.

How many square inches does a croco jaw have?

Kg =/= force
N DOES = force

Come on, son.jpeg