Handling fear of physical conflict

How do I handle fear of physical conflict Veeky Forums?

Every time there is the potential for a physical conflict I’m crippled by fear. I thought lifting would fix this fear, but it didn’t, I thought fighting and beating a bully in high school would fix it, but it didn’t, and then I thought training MMA would fix it and it still hasn’t. I was bullied quite badly as a kid and a therapist said that is probably the cause of the fear but that doesn’t fix the problem. It doesn’t matter the the potential conflict is extremely unlikely with the most DYEL beta looking fuck you could imagine I still get scared.

How do I fix this Veeky Forums? It’s seriously destroying my chances of making it. Tips from Infantry, veterans and the like would be especially appreciated.

Tl;dr I have a crippling fear of conflict, how do I remove it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S9MtJ164XJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I used to have it and it kinda disappeared with time because I gained confidence,because you trained mma and lift already makes you more ready to kick ass than the average normie, in fact everyone is as scared or even more scared than you and knows nothing about fighting, just ask someone to throw a punch and you'll see.I can only suggest to look up on the internet what is the hormonal cause of this and how to control it ,that's what I did and I'm still working on it.
Godspeed user

Teh fuck does it even matter. If you dont live in a motherfucking ghetto that shit should never happen in the first place

do martial arts, start with something easy.
it'll get you to be more comfortable with physical contact.
and eventually physical conflict.

but eh, here is the bad news.
its never gonna go away. fighting sucks.
this is what risk of serious injury does to your brain.

ask one of your good friends to fight with you, I had it and it disappears once you get your ass kicked and you realise its not as bad or painful as it seems

>Not as bad or painful as it seems
That's because you have never fought someone like me, kid

Hormonal cause? Does that mean I should start injecting test?

tips fedora

I don’t expect to ever have to fight user but that’s not the point. I get nervous being in clubs because I’m worried someone will start something, shit like that.

Should have put it in the tl;dr I’m already doing that, hasn’t helped so far.

1.) you are assuming that your opponent is omnipotent/above average than you. It is similar to putting a girl on a pedestal, but only through fear.

2.) You need to develop an aggressive mindset. It is done by pushing yourself repeatedly and constantly past any mental barriers that you have. It is done through intense constant concentration and physical exhaustion. The kind of physical exhaustion where the second you hit your pillow you fall asleep and cannot move for several days. Once this is done consistently and repeatedly, day after day for 2-3 months your mindset will "harden" to the point where physical pain will not make you fear.

No just that your brain produces certains chemicals when you're stressed,angry,etc and that you can learn to manage them, for example meditation,cold showers and visualisation are good tips.The best tip is also to keep practicing and to familiarise with violence

Thanks user. Any ideas on how to take the opponent off said pedestal or will aggression do it for me?

Thanks user appreciate, will do.

Just spar a bunch? Seems like you'd either get over your fear or get punched a lot

Something about sparring doesn’t get me the same way. Maybe it’s the controlled environment, or the fact that it’s a mutually agreed fight with a degree of certainty to it but it just doesn’t get me the same way real fights do.

If you fought and beat your bully in school I don't see the problem. You don't ever stop feeling fear, you just learn to function through it. Sounds like you've done that.

Look up body language and imagine your opponents displaying the behaviors associated with submission, meekness, tiredness, etc.

And just look up body language in general, you will begin to understand subtle tells of individuals and what they are trying to convey/hide through posturing.

Most of your fear comes from lack of knowledge, once you know what you are getting into then it is easier to gauge yourself relative to it.

Every man will get their ass beat in his life, sooner or later. All you can do is be prepared, everyone is scared to fight, user.

Develop morals so you have something worth fighting for. You should hold yourself to a certain standard and any physical conflict should only arise as an opportunity to defend your standards, which should be worth fighting for. You should have the midset that it doesn't matter if you end up in pain or injured, because that sort of sacrifice is worth it all to defend your standards. Stop thinking about like you're afraid of getting hurt and think about it like you've got something to prove.

You should always be ready for a fight even if you never intend to be in one.

Get back to us when you've paid your own rent.

i get scared more than normal when fighting niggers. You don`t know when you`ll get jumped by a pack of them monkeys and by how many. They also don`t stop when you`re out. They keep stomping on your head until dead or disabled. I try to keep fights with niggers as short as possible. k.o them asap.

Everyone gets scared when they are about to fight. If you have the nerve to overcome that fear it means you have more than what most have.

I had some reservation mostly because I hadnt experienced it. My job is pretty intense and I always strive after most complete mindset.
So one night out I slapped some girls ass and out of nowhere a manlet came and we did the chestbump alpha bull and he sucker punched me in the jaw (i was drunk as fuuuuuck literally finished a whiskey bottle with a bro moments earlier) and I was dazed by it.
Then he did some high kick on my head and I went out.
Woke up talking "wtf happened" and smiling like a lunatic. We resumed with clubbing and next morning my lip was Rocky. I wouldnt even have split lip but my tooth is a bit jagged and it slit it open. Fucked up...
After that I learned two things:
manlets are angry.
everyone out is orc, not a human with honor
people will sucker punch u
never do the chest bump shit, keep a distance
dont be too drunk
keep doing neck curls
getting punched aint shit

I am much more relaxed now, a thing clicks in you once you experience something like this, you feel comfortable in situations and you dont get scared or intimidated. That was me drunk.
Had I been sober... LAWD KNOWS

But thats a cool story since I am bigger than the dude by a foot, and its funny how u can prepare ur whole life to be safe in altercation then on stupid night too drunk and get KOD like a kid.

Tho I gotta say Im not sure I could ever punch someone full force unprovoked. Niggas just aching to jump on ya. Im pretty peace loving conflict avoiding person.
Life on the line,. different story but just sucker punch someone? I cant imagine it,.Ever. I didnt raise myself to pull pussy moves like that.

Start boxing, you fucking pussy.

Do a martial art with contact sparring. I remember dreading it every week as a kid, but after a few broken bones and getting my ass beat countless times, I'm not afraid in the least of a fight. Win or lose, you'll be in pain for a while, but most likely will be fine. Make sure you weigh more than who you're fighting and you'll win 90% of the time.

Nothing personal

Get punched in the face. Once you realize it doesn't hurt so much you're gonna be fine.

Again should have put it in the TLDR: I’m doing MMA, contact sparring just doesn’t seem to help.

Thats the pre-fight adrenaline, newbies feel its as "oh no, i gotta get out of here", but the more you fight the more you learn to use those chemicals as the fuel for the fight, its the fight/flight response and can be used both ways.

P.S. everyones afraid to fight, only fools are blinded by their confidence.

Mike Tyson would literally cry before fights because he was afraid and knew he had to get it out before the match

LMAO
I intimidated a guy like you once, me being the "DYEL beta looking fuck".

Man your spars must be shit then. My first spar was against some 2m chick and i got my ass kicked because i didnt know what the fuck was happening, few weeks later i was still bad but at least i could fight back.

Its not that the sparring is bad user, I get my ass kicked regularly and sometimes I win, its the mental preparation I'm talking about.

Really? Thanks user that actually really helps.

Well done you

He got on my nerves first, staring at me, so I flipped out.

even Tyson says he was scared to death before every single fight.

youtube.com/watch?v=S9MtJ164XJI

What are you afraid of? Its controled environment where you came to fight, its not like you went to buy a cake and terrorist poped out behind counter.

Its genetic
Look up the warrior gene

just get angry enough to black out

im only 175 pounds at 6'1 but i have really bad anger issues. not a professional by any means but i can scrap and 90% of people will back up the second you start yelling and swinging

bonus points if you come off as crazy because then no one wants to fight you

Ok

Exactly. In sparring I don't get scared, whereas in a situation where there is potential real conflict I do, see

The guy also beat a grown man half to death in the middle of the street for messing with his pet pigeon when he was 12 years old so if Iron Mike says it you fuckin' listen nigger

I'm legit more afraid of snapping and hurting someone, than getting hurt.

Thing is if someone calls your bluff you have high chance to die.

Get a gun

Britbong, even transporting one of the few guns we're allowed around is restricted.

>I didn't read OP: The Post.

Well you should get scared in random fight, its your survival instinct your body pumps up all the adrenaline n shit to keep itself alive. If sparring taught me anything its to never underestimate your opponent, shit i spared vs some 30+ skeletal and he placed such a good bodyshot that i barely left standing.

you have never fought anyone

>T. Nigger

Can't wait until you get gang raped by niggers

1. Be tall and muscular
2. Act like you aren't afraid of conflict

You say you're afraid of fighting. Guess what, most other people are too. And nobody wants to get into a fight with a big guy. So if you just look intimidating and behave like you're not afraid of fighting someone (i.e. standing your ground and acting confidently) then 99% of the time that's enough to diffuse the situation.

First, let me preface this by saying I'm the only guy here speaking from experience. Growing up I was afraid of everything. Had fear of horror movies, fear of the dark, I panicked at the sight of insects, flinched at loud noises, I completely choked during any type of confrontation, etc. In short, a huge pussy.

I started improving this more or less at the same time I started lifting (around 17), and it came from a realization I had directly linked to lifting. When you lift, muscles that are used for a variety of purposes are isolated and one movement is repeated again and again, with resistance, which improves that muscle for all of its future uses. My idea was that there's a similarity between that behavior and the behavior of certain mental functions.

Fear is fear no matter what is triggering it. You shouldn't think about what is causing fear, but the mental process of fear itself. It's there to protect you from (what your brain thinks is) danger, to create a response of panic and flight. You have to bring this impulse under control by constantly bringing a feedback of "everything is under control" when that is activated. Condition your brain to not have such a strong response those things. What triggers that response goes from person to person and has a lot to do with your history, but the trigger mechanism is the same. Focus on that.

A friend of mine, who was then at med student and constantly grossed out by blood and organs, decided to desensitize herself by watching as many surgery, injury and disease videos and real life procedures as she could. I was influenced by that to do the same thing. I wrote down a list of things that triggered the fear response, saw which ones I could systematically expose myself to, and did it. Fear of confrontation, which I also had, is a tough one, because you can't replicate the experiment whenever you want. But my fear of confrontation went down when my "fear" response was decreased in general. (cont)

(cont) I sat alone in the dark in my house for hours, watching videos that terrified me until the response was no longer there. Read suspenseful stories that would make me instinctively look behind my back all the time. Played all the silly horror games that terrified me, again alone in a dark room. Eventually built up the courage to do urban exploration with a friend, in a creepy ass abandoned school here. Made a point to always confront people, particularly when there were others watching. In college I tried to always be the one doing the public speaking, which always got me really nervous.

The results were honestly amazing. I'm now consistently calm and cold no matter what happens. I have no "panic" reaction anymore, and friends are always amazed at that. Imo, fear is an evolutionary self-protection device that you're better off getting yourself rid of, because even in potential danger situations, being calm and cold is better. For example, imagine someone really tried to fight you. That's a situation where your nerves should be under control so you won't fuck it up, but your innate fear of aggression, of people, of judgement, of being the center of attention or whatever is actively hurting your chances. It's an useless fucking trait

So my advice is, make a list. Write down anything that triggers the reaction of fear or panic to you. When you're done, risk the ones that you can't replicate systematically, and then use the others to build resistance. I promise you this shit works, even if the process is a bit weird.

This.
One of them tried to punk my friends and I behind a bar in an alley one night. Calling us bitches and implyin ooga booga nigger shit that he'd do to our girlfriends. It was four of us and just him so we could have taken him but we decided to just tell him to go fuck himself and walk off because we couldn't shake the feeling that there were more ape folk lurking in the street and we weren't in the mood to get stabbed.

As we drove off sure as shit we saw about 7 or 8 more of them walking with the same dude up the block.

Fuckers were just looking for a fight, who's does this shit

>who's does this shit
Rhetorical question??

Exactly

Fear is GOOD, stops you from dying over some guy smudging your pumas.

In 99% of cases running away is the smartest move. So if you are scared of a physical altercation you are just smart.

btw for all the Navy SEALs on here, running away =/= cowardice.

What kind of hyper melanated creature are you that you're constantly searching for fights?

I don't I actively avoid them, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try and remove my fear of them.