Redpill me on keto, does it work? Is it just a meme? Am I gonna do serious damage to my body...

Redpill me on keto, does it work? Is it just a meme? Am I gonna do serious damage to my body? I just started this diet yesterday and how long should I do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VKDD_HUWywQ
ebookbb.com/?s=keto
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Work in physics is strictly related to force and displacement. Keto fags are weak and can't move weights for shit so, no - it doesn't work.

What is your goal?

I did keto for 8 weeks on a hard deficit and lost a shitton of weight. I was delusional and thought I'd stay in the gym too. After the first week, the weights made me their bitch.

Trying to lose weight? Go for it. Trying to do anything appreciable in the gym? Not a chance.

OMAD you lose weight and can still hit the gym. On top of that, you can eat whatever you want. At the end of the day, it's about goals and how much you're willing to disrupt your life.

I should say, for those 8 weeks I lost roughly 5 lbs a week at the start. Went from 210ish to just above 185. My head was too fucking big for that weight/muscle mass tho.

Well I was at 212 at my heaviest and I’m down to 189 and I can’t lose anymore. The rest of it is around my waist line and I just want to lose some of the fat. I’ve hit a plateau of sorts. I’m 20 years old btw

net fat loss is the same.
you'll lose fat faster but it'll come back again

I also lift about twice a week

Extremely good for losing weight. Not good if you want to do high intensity exercise.

>t. never did keto

keto+omad with fasted lifting is the way to go. you will want to work out while doing keto, I found it difficult to get into ketosis if I wasn’t working out but while I was lifting I lost 30lbs really easily... lifts do plateau but if you’re on defiect you should expect that regardless of carb intake.
wouldn’t recommend keto for bulking obviously

I'm still confused about what to eat. It seems difficult to get that many calories from fat and people seem to freak out if I eat too much meat

Finally restore his insulin response with keto
>Fat will come back again
Shut up carbfag

youtube.com/watch?v=VKDD_HUWywQ

This about covers all the important aspects, albeit briefly.

I haven't seen a single low carber that got thin/ripped and kept it long term.

constantly elevated high triglycerides ruins your insulin sensitivity though buddy

/thread

ngl I'm literally a few days in (trying break a plateau on my cut) but I feel like shit constantly. I don't even know why I'd want to be lean anymore since my shitty gyno nipples ruin any attempt at aesthetic ottermode

> Is simulating a diabetic state healthy for my body?

Probably not.

Maybe the body simulates ketosis when in a diabetic state because diabetics have fucked their whole body up.

you're thinking of ketoacidosis, which is the result of no insulin+dehydration for days or weeks, the acid generated from ketone bodies concentrates in the blood due to an extremely low blood volume
ketosis by itself has nothing to do with diabetes

It works but I wouldn't do it for longer than a month at a time.

Did you try ketomad w/o the deficit? Don't see why you can't gain with keto, protein still has an insulin response and therefore allows for absorption into muscles.

bullshit

Wtf is OMAD?

Google "mechanism of free fatty acid-induced insulin resistance in humans"

>mechanism of free fatty acid-induced insulin resistance in humans

n=9
and nothing mentioned about these subjects being in keto.

Number of participants means nothing when there's a known mechanism. It was already prior knowledge that FFA's caused insulin resistance but this study challenged the past mechanism. Also what do you think happens to your circulating level of triglycerides when you aren't eating any dietary carbohydrates and aren't eliciting an insulin response from food for an extended period of time?

>Number of n means nothing
Ever heard of statistics?
>circulating tris
they get converted to ketones
>arent eating any dietary carbs
20-50 grams per day
>arent eliciting an insulin response
Have cheat days

What you fail to understand is what the importance of a known biological mechanism is, and that this study only challenged a mechanism that was already widely accepted.
Also if you're cheating, you aren't doing a "ketogenic" diet

with subjects not in keto right right. So when you have a cheat day and do not come of your /fat/ ass you dont lift at all?

It works great. What makes it powerful for an ex fat like me is that it was really easy to stay disciplined while doing it. I don't have to think much about stuff. You stop craving bread and sweet things soon enough.

I did paleo-type keto. So basically meat and leafy or non-strictly vegetables and water. Hard to fuck that up.

Basically don't eat breakfast or at midnight or later and boom, it's semi fasting and with your new freedom from diatary carbs to manage blood glucose, you never particularly feel highs and lows of carby diet.

Sugar isn't evil or anything, but ketosis is a tool we have of running efficiently on on stored fat while preserving muscle (especially endurance) and even augmenting brainpower.

Tips:
lay of the alcohol, if you have a social event, drink Pedialyte or something before and eat some carbs. otherwise the liver doesn't have much of a fat buffer to clear the alcohol and you'll be wasted really quick.

Eat more salt, you'll lose a lot of water weight and salt along with it, you'll need to replenish.

Celery has some awesome weight loss properties, especially when consumed daily. Either learn to like it daily or stick it in a shake.

You'll find your lifts go down initially untill you body adjusts, once adjusted you may try TKD where you consume a Carby pre workout right before intense workout so none of that sugar is stored.

Eat whole eggs

Health wise, all your numbers should improve.

I don't know how it works or if it's dangerous, but I've been following a keto meal plan from a book I bought for 1 and a half weeks and I've lost ~4 - 5kg, so who cares?

It works for weight loss and for controlling blood sugar. Also helps control epilepsy (but I assume that's not the issue because otherwise your doctor would have explained why you need to do it).

It shouldn't cause any damage to your body unless you are a severely out-of-control diabetic, in which case you need to be careful during the first few weeks until you get your medications (if any) dialed in again.

The only other risk is for kidney stones, but only if you are susceptible to calcium-based kidney stones. Drink lots of fluids (non-alcohol) to reduce your risk.

There's tons of books written that will tell you exactly what to eat for every meal every day for weeks on end, go buy one.
Keto food is fucking delicious

amen

carb fag BTFO

yes that lasts 2 weeks at most and then go's down again

Cheese, eggs, bacon, fish. You only want about 100g of protein per day (120 if you are working out a lot).

>Finally restore his insulin response with keto
Worked for me. Still can't eat rice but I don't have problems with anything else.

Your post didn't make much sense but if you're insinuating I'm fat cx
I honestly have no idea why you'd advocate for anyone doing keto anyways, it's garbage for anyone trying to maximize muscle and cut to super low bodyfat levels

Keto is good for weight if you're a inactive fatty.

Keto is a terrible idea if you're an elite athlete, and we all know most /fit posters are elite athletes.

Mine improved significantly on keto. Same with my cholesterol levels.

You morons are confusing ketoACIDosis with ketosis. They are two nearly completely unrelated issues. Sort of like manslaughter and man's laughter.

One Meal A Day. A strict form of IF (intermittent fasting).

Keto is mainly intended for fatties and diabetics. If you do not fall into one of those two categories, there are probably more efficient ways to meet your goals.

The dangers of being fat are greater than anything keto would do to you. But I wouldn't do keto indefinitely.

>t. Keto OMAD master race

>loses argument
>posts body of some roided dude
>KETO IS UNHEALTHY BELIEVE ME GUISE
fuck off already

did my research, this is probably the best thread to ask for feedback
hows my keto shopping list look? the thing im most wary about is ham since its got a whopping 29g of protein compared to 8g fat (with 2.5g of that being saturated)

>go buy one
kek

Just go here:
ebookbb.com/?s=keto
Lots for download.

Def natty, I should know d00d. And like people have said before already, unless you're obese and already have fucked insulin sensitivity, ketosis is not a good way to achieve fat loss/muscle gain goals

>ketosis is not a good way to achieve fat loss/muscle gain goals
what do you think is best, then?

Not sure about the green beans, I think you may need to limit those.

Add cheese, preferably aged cheese. Cheddar and parmesan are usually aged enough that they don't have any lactose left in them. Check the label to be sure.

Add peanut butter (keep it limited, you can't have more than six tablespoons per day without going over the carb limit).

personally, i'd drop the broccoli, raspberries, yogurt and ketchup because this stuff adds up pretty quick.

you could add avocados, some sausages you like, feta cheese and a variation of fish. and don't forget cottage cheese,

All that matters is calories, anything else is a fucking meme that makes no difference, every study out there shows controlling for calories is by far the #1 factor in weight loss. If keto makes you control your calories, then sure it works but it works because the deficit, not because you aren't eating carbs.

>Keto indefinitely
Agree. As we look to the history carbs in high amount were only available in the summer and autumn. Still, the fruits and grains were so different we have optimized them over the years as in less fiber and more glucose/starch

Ketogenic and very low carb diets are among the most muscle sparing diets in existence.

Well that depends on your goals. If you're trying to get nasty shredded, then high protein like, med-low carb, low fat is def the way to go. I was eating around 300g protein at my leanest. Has the biggest thermic effect of any macronutrient and any spillover will be converted to energetically 'expensive' glucose so it's not a waste

More fat, use butter, heavy cream etc. (no vegetable oils). You want to have 70% of your calories from fat to get that energy. All the complaints about low energy on Keto are from people who didn't eat enough fat.

If you're talking strictly muscle-sparing, nothing is more anti-catabolic than an insulin response from a big bowl of oats or a boiled potato

I bought smoke pig lard. My gawd this is amazing

are you me?

cheers
gonna drop the broccoli, raspberries, and ketchup and add some peanut butter and cheeses (and limiting green beans and yogurt)
>use butter, heavy cream etc
gotcha, but whats butter/heavy cream good on? aside from grains, the only thing ive regularly had butter with is eggs

try to get your hands on natural peanut butter, usually has less carbs

>whats butter/heavy cream good on?
Heavy cream you can put in your coffee, butter is great for cooking in general (meat, eggs, vegetables, almonds and so on). It depends what your tastebuds like, Tibetans for example put globs of butter into their tea but it's not what I would generally recommend.

sweet, thanks anons
heres the updated list if anyone else wants to use it

one more tip: try to cook some keto meals and not only eat this stuff by itself because this shit gets boring really fast which is often the reason people drop this diet.

there a tons of great keto meals. made some tom kha gai the other day, it was fucking amazing.

so basically PSMF, which is already known and proven.

> caring what ppl think of your nutrition

yeah i feel that, ive already looked through some good looking keto recipes
my tastes are weird though, i prefer things be plain (i only started liking onions on my burgers last year, still with no tomato/lettuce/mustard) and i dont find myself really getting bored of foods even after eating them often

There's no fasting, you eat whenever you want. Also I was having berries and Greek yogurt so still having carbs

even better for you

good luck user. we're all going to make it

lost 6.5 lbs first week, and another 6.5lbs the following 4 weeks.
(219 to 206, still going strong)
Not saying keto is or isnt great, as my diet was utter shit before i started on this, so it may be the fact that i stopped eating like a fatty that did most of the work.

y-you too

I'm doing it, but only with doctor supervision, I want to lose all this fucking fat I got from drinking and eating fried chicken every day.

It's working for me in terms of fat loss, but I'm not going to the gym yet.

This
I was on keto + OMAD for around 2 months semi-consistent and went from 120 to 105 kg. Felt amazing, but couldn’t do anything that required rapid exertion of energy.
As soon as I went on CICO, I’ve doubled most of my lifts and lost another 10 kg.
t. non-NYR, 9-week lifter

nigga if this is roided 4 u then i'm sorry for your lanklet frame

t. retard

Dr. Eric Berg

>only 100g of protein...

>not 0.8-1g per pound of lean muscle

You don't know shit keto virgin. Practice keto for real.

Displacement in lifting is 0 as the weights end up in the starting position. Is this why all the cunts at my gym who leave the weights everywhere are so big? Are they the only ones "working" out?

It's made for epileptics.

Other than some special cases/diseases/disorders, every diet boils down to CICO and IIFYM.

Some people find keto an easier diet to adhere to while making their CICO. If that's you, then great.

Keto doesn't work well for people with large workloads, lots of cardio training, etc.

Because I am sure someone is gonna not believe me ...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/

Dr greger pls go

Is this the same if you're frying everything in coconut oil as it is if you're eating lots of smoked salmon? Is it all fat that raises those or just saturates?

don't forget avocados m8

love how you didnt answer any of op's questions, shit on keto, then prove yourself wrong with your own link. good job.

If anyone is still here I have some questions. My wife wants to start keto because she's tired of being fat (5'4", ~165lbs, 39 yrs old). She works a sedentary job and her only exercise is yoga about three times a week, and I know she doesn't work up a sweat in those classes. She's allergic to eggs and can't into meal prep.
Fuck I lost my train of thought, so I guess my question is where do I start? I google keto and I get what looks like mostly bullshit links that I wouldn't trust if you paid me. I'm looking for trustworthy resources on diet, how long to maintain it, what to expect while in ketosis etc... Obv first thing is to calculate her TDEE, set a goal weight and then work on getting her eating at a deficit. How hard is it to stay disciplined on keto? I think she would be better off just eating at a deficit and tracking protein as I've been doing, and ofc anons here can't tell me what's going through her head.
Fuck me this turned into a blog post. Just looking for answers and opinions from informed and experienced anons.

>allergic to eggs
>wants to do keto
user... That's not impossible, but I've been following a keto meal plan and there's egg in probably over half of what I eat

Do not even taste or eat small portions of the Exclude tier.

Keto is great for losing weight. You're never hungry and energy levels are stable throughout the day because insulin levels vary very little when compared to diets with carbohydrates.

Intensity in the gym is difficult to maintain because carbohydrates are required to replenish glycogen (carbs stored in muscles purely for the purpose of utilizing fast-twitch muscle fibers). This can be remedied through periodic carb refeeds (ie once or twice per week eat some rice or bread). If done correctly, refeeds can replenish glycogen without taking you out of ketosis.

The worst part of ketosis is having to explain to people that you can't eat carbohydrates. It's really annoying for social situations because so many meals are off the table for you.

Yup. So far it's just the social shit that's really killing me. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm a social butterfly and people bond over food and I love to join in.

Fuck

Which is ironic since eating a lot of meat isn't bad as long as you avoid commercial grain fed trash and GMO plant oils like the plague. You have to be a retard to even consider chewing and swallowing on anything from the polluted dead oceans these days as well. Eating a lot of meat is surprisingly not hard as long as you don't neglect your salts, iodine and herbs. Pork and dairy is also not worth wasting your time with either.

they need to grow some Joules

It's a meme

the initial crash is a bitch. i feel like i'm gonna die