Bench Press -- Totally Bullshit Exercise

Ideally an exercise should make you better at something, however bench press does not make you better at anything except bench pressing. Bob Cicherillo in an article said the purpose of bench-pressing is to answer the question “how much ya bench?” which is exactly right and exactly why it’s so fucking retarded. The purpose of any exercise should be to develop your body not to write numbers in a diary. Mike Dolce in his podcast also touched on the uselessness of bench press which was refreshing—Dolce correctly pointed out that military press has much better transfer to real world power than bench press does, yet relatively few people do military press and everybody does bench press because people are fucking stupid.
My personal reasons for disliking bench press are two fold:
1—The bench itself is completely unnatural it does not exist in nature. Our bodies did not evolve to lay on a bench—therefore bench press cannot possibly be a good exercise for developing real world power.
2—The way human body is designed we are supposed to develop power parallel to our spine which is to say parallel to the direction of the force of gravity and bench press develops power perpendicular to the orientation of the spine. This is about as idiotic as running sideways or backwards.
The problem Bob Cicherillo has with bench press is completely unrelated to my concerns—his problem is the straight bar which puts elbows at an awkward angle which overtime will have you develop elbow pain. My problems with bench press are philosophical in nature whereas Bob’s are practical but either way bench press is fucking bullshit.

>2—The way human body is designed we are supposed to develop power parallel to our spine which is to say parallel to the direction of the force of gravity and bench press develops power perpendicular to the orientation of the spine. This is about as idiotic as running sideways or backwards.

So the only way is to run upwards?

Have you ever thrown a punch? All lifting is unnatural because nature doesn't make metal bars you fucking retard. Just because you body isn't "MADE" for something doesn't mean you can't do it. A human body isn't a fucking one function machine.

Most exercises for developing your chest aren't "natural movements". Go ahead and skip the bench exercises user, matter of fact, just go ahead and find yourself a nice cross fit gym so you can work on your "functional fitness"

>I can't do more than 1PL8, the post

>the purpose of exercise should be to develop your body
>hurr durr bench press doesn't do shit

Are you really this fucking retarded?

>the purpose of bench-pressing is to answer the question “how much ya bench?
Gaining the respect of your fellow men is a perfectly legitimate reason to do something.

stick to crossfit, soygoy

heavy bench supports heavy ohp
heavy ohp supports heavy bench
heavy ohp is practical
therefore bench is practical.

I rest my case.

Imagine typing this shit out thinking that you are so clever and will get lots of baited (you)s jesus christ

It's just fucking dangerous. I use dumbbells and I can really push myself without risk.

Gotta agree with OP. I had the same thoughts recently and came to the same conclusion. Bench bros are the new curl bros. This exercise is pretty much useless unless you consider it a goal in itself. What's the point of benching heavy weights? There is literally no practical application. I prefer to stick with OHP. Also bench is bad for your shoulders.

it's not dangerous at all if you dont go under your 3 rep max

Dips. Checkmate.

came in here to post this

>you won't slip user trust me
>your muscle would never cramp or spasm user
>lifting a bar with heavy weight above your chest is a good idea
you won't kill me faggot

elaborate pls

I never really liked it so I just do OHP, dips and incline db press.

Squats and deads are wayyy more fucking dangerous
>make one wrong move
>rip spine and back

Why are you replacing a chest excercise with a shoulder one?

How much do you put on your dumbells and how much would you bench (estimate)?

the point of the bench press is to develop upper body strength.
can you do that with some other exercise? yes. but what other upper body exercise can you do can use as much weight? what other exercise is easily accessible to most gym goers?
and because its universal my bench press can be compared to your bench press, giving me a bench mark and i can gauge how strong i am

It helped me get out of side mount while grappling and is good for getting stuff off of you worst case scenario.

Because he's a brainlet

I really don't know. I'm up to 80 for 3x5 after dips.

I can OHP more than I can bench.

My nigga

le technique faggette

What have you done to fuck up in such a way? Do you just skip chest day???

What the fuck

bench is a lot more natural than military press, Ive pushed things away from my body before but I cant think of a single time ive lifted something over my head except in the gym.

oh no it's the gains goblin trying to goy us out of our gains.

shoo shoo gains goblin

I have to see your physique OP.

I cannot believe the amount of pusification that went into this post. Bench press is literally the test of manhood for American men. We dont have stones or logs or animal slaughter, it's literally just bench. So if you suck at it, you are literally considered less than a full grown man and you have no respect in the gym.

>dumbbells
>without risk

I guess if you're using the 7lb neoprene dumbbells that might be true

One of us doesn't know what a pectoral is

How much does one have to bench at 180cm/85kg to gain respect in a mutt gym?

>A human body isn't a fucking one function machine.
tfw Born2Fuck

0.01% of chest movement is involved in almost all upper body excercises, that still doesn't mean it's a chest excercise as suited as the bench press

Are you retarded?
>be caveman
>other caveman being an annoying shit
>want to push this bitch over
>be in his space
>give yourself some forward momentum
>brace feet against ground
>bring hands close to chest
>forward momentum brings you close to his body
>hands make contact
>pectoral muscles and triceps activate
>annoying caveman ends up on his ass

Nobody cares, soyboy.

no you cant.

brothers always getting yoked and huge off bench. why does it bother you? ilkjasdf yourself

Mutt? Are you some European Muslim sodomite? Like you can't even own a gun or knife because your government owns your thoughts and actions?

>benching isnt a good lift

it's only dangerous if you're a little bitch

same boat. I literally started chest exercises 3 months after every other muscle group

Fuck that's a good photo

Why don't you answer the question instead?
I didn't expect you guys were still getting triggered so easily by le mutt meme

180cm - 5'9 Freedom units
85kg - 187 Freedom units

bench at least 4 plates
squat 4 plates
deadlift 6 plates

that's daddy weight you eurocunt

next time answer and then insult him, you're making us look bad desu

Visit a real gym here and see, cocksucker.

Bob and You think that Push-ups and benchpress are bullshit?
Good Luck with your cross-fit shit, designed with unique form so normie lifters dosn't realize how fucking weak you are.

>Ideally an exercise should make you better at something, however bench press does not make you better at anything except bench pressing.
Nothing wrong with that. I lift because it's fun, not for athletic purposes. I like throwing around big pieces of iron, and bench is a really fun and satisfying way to do that. I enjoy lifting heavy. You can shit science at me until your rectum bleeds about how its not functional, or how it won't develop my chest, but it's fucking fun, and that's good enough for me

>however bench press does not make you better at anything except bench pressing.
Bullshit. No exercise makes me feel so good as bench press.

>The bench itself is completely unnatural it does not exist in nature. Our bodies did not evolve to lay on a bench—therefore bench press cannot possibly be a good exercise for developing real world power.
Is this a fucking joke? Every single gym workout is unnatural, retarded. Going to the grocery store is also unnatural.
Retarded.

180 cm is 5"11 and I'm quite sure and if I'm not mistaken 4 plates = 20 + 4x2x20 = 180 kg
That's top 5% tier

shoo shoo gains goblin!!

Shoo shoo gains goblin!

Rippetoe says bench is good for upper body strenght
also
Shoo shoo gains goblin!

>4pl8 squat and 6pl8 deadlift to 4pl8 bench

Lad, it's more like 7-7.5pl8 deadlift, 6.5pl8 squat and 4pl8 bench

No one has ever died from squatting or deadlifting. There are videos of people dying from bench, just imagine how many people have died from benching without video taping themselves.

Incline Bench and Dips > Normal Bench Press for chest development

When will benchlets ever learn?

Plenty of videos of faggots snapping their shit up when squatting.
In terms of danger
Bench > Squat > Deadlifts
You literally can't die from deadlifts unless you're a powerlifter attempting a world record PR or a DYEL fag ego lifting with shit form

What's funny is this exact reasoning applies to squat and deadlift, but is totally contrary when applied to bench

Bench is the best exercise to develop your chest
Squat is not the best exercise to develop your quads. Leg press is
Deadlift is not the best exercise for anything and is purely an ego lift

>Our bodies did not evolve to lay on a bench—therefore bench press cannot possibly be a good exercise

>Squat is not the best exercise to develop your quads. Leg press is

Power cage faggot

>incline bench
>hits upper pecs, which are objectively more aesthetic
>if you fail a rep, the bar can slide down your chest

>flat bench
>hits lower pecs which will just stack on top of your ugly gyro
>if you fail a rep, you drop the bar on your throat and die, or you're going to have to roll of shame it onto your junk

explosive deadlift = quicker hands in things like boxing, football, etc

>Have you ever thrown a punch?
You certainly haven't.

Ask any boxer on the planet. Bench has far less effect on punching strength than you apparently think.

>wide grip

>t. benchlet

Twink tells fitness board not to bench press

who the actual fuck presses with the bar being above their throats

>just hit 90kg today after not even three months starting from 60kg

feels goo desu

>Ideally an exercise should make you better at something, however bench press does not make you better at anything except bench pressing.

Shoo shoo gains goblin!

SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN!

Squat is not the best exercise to develop your quads. Leg press is

>Deadlift is not the best exercise for anything and is purely an ego lift

>but what other upper body exercise can you do can use as much weight?

landmine press

and if you drop it, then you don't drop it on your

>lungs
>heart
>throat
>face
>brain

it will just hit the floor, or maybe at worst your foot

keep COPING ego-lifters

shoo shoo gains goblin!

>Ideally an exercise should make you better at something
Correct
>however bench press does not make you better at anything
It makes me better at having joocy pecs to show off
shoo shoo gains goblin

alright but try throwing a punch without activating your pecs. shoulders or triceps. Oh look at that just shy of impossible, oh wow would you look at that the bench works out those exact muscles, it's almost as if the effectiveness of an exercise transferring directly to another somewhat unrelated movement does not matter nearly as much as the main purpose of that movement being effective in its direct purpose thus making it a valuable tool to be utilized.

He then took another ten scoops of protein powder and shot his sixth needle of roids intos his neck. He laughed to himself knowing that no one could dispute him with his unnaturally godly body of his as he leads all others to lifting ruin.

Shoo ship gains goblin!!!

SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN!

shoo shoo gains goblin

The Big 3 are all bullshit, as is powerlifting.

Ever researched who invented them? Do it.

what do you do then?

>top 5% tier
More like top 0.1% tier, 4 plate bench is a fucking rarety at gyms let alone at that bodyweight.

>push someone away from you
>you can't produce as much force from your upper limbs because you yourself get pushed back as well

Explain yourself

Use safety pins you knobhead

Look, the bench press is a shit exercise but not because "HURRR IT DOESN'T TRANSLATE INTO THE REEEEEALL WORLD", but because other exercises do what it does better. It's good for beginners because they can add weight on the bar consistently, but after that it's simply outclassed by more engaging exercises like the dip or db bench press and even the regular OHP in some respects.

But "HURRRRRR IT DOESN'T TRANSLAAATEEE INTO THE REEEEAL WORLDDDD" is both wrong, and a dumb reason.

Literally anything else.

Don't wanna go all /pol/ on you but the history of powerlifting is short, weird and Jewish. Did you know the deadlift was originally a biceps curl in the early 60s? Powerlifting comps were held in bench, squat and biceps curls. Only after they fused with another association, the diddly was introduced and quickly made its first victim.

This was long after roids were available, so there is no powerlifting comp that's clean, ever, in the history of mankind.

And other stuff.

>Literally anything else.

not an answer

The bench press is just a higher weighted pushup, or at least adjustable weighted if you're obese and can't do a push up.

Pushing yourself off gravity is natural. A push in general is a a useful skill to have. Ever try to push a morbidly obese guy? It's hard. But bench a few pl8 and you can do it.

You've been played if you think there was any 'original' lineup of lifts for powerlifting. It literally started out as 'anything except the current Olympic lifts' and had basically zero standardisation. Which lifts? Whatever the guy running it wants. How many? Ditto. Rules? Same deal.