Should I get into a bit of casual fencing? It seems like a pretty Chad sport

Should I get into a bit of casual fencing? It seems like a pretty Chad sport.

I think I could do it in addition to lifting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OaKh1vExh64
youtube.com/watch?v=C4m9jCgXrR0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Epee fencer here. It's a great sport for endurance. Sabre and foil are for literal faggots though, so fence epee or its not really fencing

Bump

What do you call this sort of fencing? youtube.com/watch?v=OaKh1vExh64

I fenced epee for 3 years and couldn't agree more. I want to get into HEMA though
Those are long swords / arming swords

How expensive is this?

I want to do HEMA Longsword.

>Those hairstyles

Foil is the way to go, everything else is nigger tier.

It's so the helmets will fit better.

Absolutely. I fenced in high school and it was the greatest decision I've ever made
>was really out of shape when I started
>ended up having fuckloads of endurance by the end of the season because the sport is pure cardio
>other people on my team were really chill as well
>got to hang out with and chat up the alt girls who were also on the team
>learning all the strategies and techniques involved was fun as hell and taught me a thing or two about discipline
overall 10/10 experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone who asks about it

foil is for literal cucks though. Why would I want to fence with a weapon I can only hit your fucking torso with? All those bullshit rules put into place so you only have one area to defend. Epee, everything is fair game except for mask. You would get absolutely blown out when an epee fencer nails you in the foot

I would also like to know

t. 80 year old who cant move

sabre is the chaddest weapon, bouts can be over in literal seconds and you can march your opponent the whole length of the piste and then punish him for being the little bitch boy he is.

Cutting > stabbing

I've been fencing for 8 years, its great fun, and gets you both mental and physical gains. It has a learning curve and it a bit expensive to get into but Ive never looked back, and once you get decent technique its the best fun

fencing is for dweebs

I would’nt say a chad sport, but its great cardio and so much fun. Easily one of my favourite sports

>t. 80 year old who cant move

But that's sabre since there's not much moving. Just charging and the bout is over in seconds. A bout in Epee can easily last 5 mins if the two fencers are good. Then it becomes a war of attrition because there's a fuckload of moving and both of you are tired as fuck

>Sabre and foil are for literal faggots
Wrong. Sabre is the most manly and demanding since it has the fewest pussy rules about when you can hit, where, how hard, and in what order. It is the closest to real battle and thus more challenging physically.

I want to do HEMA, but I think the risk of injury is just too high. It would really suck to fuck up my hand or fingers.

I don't know a lot about fencing, but in my experience with other martial arts/combat sport a lack of rules doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way to train for combat. Sometimes rules are there to focus you on the most effective techniques instead of playing for points.

The biggest problem with fencing, at least as it pertains to training for real sword combat, is that in fencing scoring the point is everything. Even to the point where performing a move that would be suicidal in real combat is encouraged so long as you hit them first. And since tapping them is the same as a forceful thrust people often use flicking motions that would at best cause a small papercut to win while running forward in a way that impales themselves on the opponents weapon. But since the impalement took place after the flick the flicker wins.

Fencing is fun, but I am sad that the only clubs around are the ones with the modern rules. None of the old ones, that actually revolved around real combat styles seem to exist.

Isn't it that way because that's how sword duels back in the day were decided? Like you'd get a real cut but it didn't have to be much to stop the fight and whoever hit first is the winner so making a small cut is actually the best possible outcome (actually killing someone would come with more complications and you likely didn't want to kill him anyway).

Definitely true. The sport evolved over the years to be what it is today.

No.

There's no one set of rules for how duelling was done - and for the most part it wasn't a formalised system (barring judicial duels, which could get really weird, and a few throwbacks that existed long after swords had faded from regular use).

Modern fencing is fun but it bases about as much of its rules on real combat of any sort as it does on the whisperings of the void dragon.

There are rules in sabre though. You can't hit anything below the torso. Epee is where everything is fair game.

>There's no one set of rules for how duelling was done - and for the most part it wasn't a formalised system
Sure, but modern fencing has it's roots in some particular group of people getting together and setting up rules. It should be possible to investigate who those guys are and where their ideas about dueling came from. You're just saying that ALL the old dueling codes can't be present in fencing, not demonstrating that NONE of them are.

If you are in an area where it is a real sport then enjoy being styled on by guys who've been doing it competitively since they were children. If you live anywhere else, enjoy interacting with the swarms of LARPing manchildren who make up the bulk of participants.

>ITT fencers
wtf I thought I was the only one

>teehee i touched your toe! youre out!
sabre>foil>epee

>I slashed at a vital artery on your inner thigh but it wasn't the torso so play on
epee>>>sabre>foil
And sabre gets higher despite priority, at least arms are fair game

Foil was designed as a training exercise to get guys ready for epee. It was never intended to be a fighting style unto itself.

this is actually very accurate. I've been doing it since I was 12 and all the other guys who are much better than I am are like 60 years old, fit, and have been doing it since they were children.

The rest of the guys are literal furries and weebs. Most of them are fat.

Modern fencing is for losers. Academic fencing s patrician tier. Nothing attracts the Stacies like a Chad who faces danger without flinching.

I do HMB.
Its a fantastic workout.
HEMA is also really fun.

That's just ritual scarification.

Not bad to get into, but the higher you go the more expensive shit gets. In BC canada you can find sets of gear and sword for 200-300$, but its nothing fancy. Some clubs have their own gear that you borrow.

Epee is fun and the swords are pretty big. Theres padding but be ready to get hit a lot. Shit hurts yo.
t. Amateur fencer.

(also the class I go to is 2hrs of super cardio, and I lift 5 other nights a week)

>Should I get into a bit of casual fencing?

No, you should get into a lot of hardcore fencing. You can - and in fact, are expected to - start going to tournaments as soon as you're capable of beating anyone at all.

You can hit the mask

Epee boi here. Why are we so based. Also if you’re in America and not from the east coast especially NJ and NY you’re not a real fencer.

Whomst here has tried an Italian grip?

Fuck fencing, go and train for Battle Of Nations: youtube.com/watch?v=C4m9jCgXrR0

notmuch moving in sabre yeah right. Epee does take endurance and concentration but decent sabre has both fencers running up and down the piste

>poke some faggot with a stick
>didn't count since he twitched his foot first even though he achieved nothing
>get no point

Stupid pussy "sport". Its about as good as the larpers with their foam noodle swords.

Fuck that, I want to do fighting with full size swords.

Are there any recreational sports that allow this?

How much do those things weigh? Looks like they're made of plastic.

>Been fencing for 8 years
>Plateaued for almost 4 years now

Mental game has me fucked up man. I've only gotten in better shape since then.

Not OP bit they're real but blunted. You can look up on youtube full armor duels

>fencing thread on Veeky Forums
Neat
Fencing epee for 3 years just started properly fleching there's nothing more satisfying