How to shave better? Sorry for not being fitness related dad, I mean Veeky Forums

How to shave better? Sorry for not being fitness related dad, I mean Veeky Forums.
I used to just use an electric shaver but I recently started getting facial hair quicker and all over so I needed to switch to manual. I currently have a proglide and just move it all over until everything's gone which makes me now get acne all over my jaw, or I'm strongly assuming that's the cause. I'm not having any problem with shaving other than that, do I need to use some kind of cream, a different technique or soak my face in warm water before to make me not get acne? etc. I haven't been taught anything about shaving so I'm a bit lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI&feature=relmfu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

im in the same boat bro
got small acne around chin area and if i shave it it chops it right off which im pretty sure makes it come back worse

shave after showering or sauna
double edge safety razor
better shaving cream/soap

i got rid of my skinirritations after dropping mach3 and gettin DE razor with decent blades

This. Getting a good facial wash or soap bar just to clear you face up in the shower is also good.
Take time and actually massage the shaving cream into your face and let it sit in for about 2-3 minutes. Don't just rub it on and shave away.

Don't apply pressure, let the razor do all the work. Rinse the razor consistently and shave your facial hair little by little. If you're shaving your face in under 3 minutes (assuming that your facial hair is short and not an actual full grown beard), you're going way to fast. It's not a race. There's a lot of good YouTube videos on the subject you should check out.

Also, safety razor FTW. So much cheaper and feels like a better shave altogether.

What brand of blades do you use for your double edge razor?

just spent 50$ on a DE razor starting kit due to this post
seems like its an upgrade for everyone and its way cheaper than the cartridges anyway

Do not fall for Jewish disposable razors that cost an exorbitant amount of money for a new blade, get a double-edged safety razor (the kind your grandpa had ) like says
50$ of blades will quite literally last you a lifetime and will probably have some left over for your sons when they reach shaving age
They are 99% the same, no need to buy any fancy name brand ones

Also OP I suggest trying cold water shaving, it requires no soap or oil or anything. Cold water makes the hair stiff and straight and thus more easily cut. Works for me at least but I have viking genetics.

It's already been said, but definitely a double edge safety razor. No need to buy expensive cartridges since you're literally using a single razor which are dirt cheap considering you can get a 10 pack for $2. If you're looking to line up/edge/shape your beard or neckline, look into a shavette. It's essentially a straight razor but instead of having to worry about honing the blade, you can simply break a razor blade in half and use that. You can find them for less than $30. I highly recommend maggard razors for starter kits/soaps/blades

Breaking a flexible, flimsy, slippery, thin piece of metal in half is a fucking horrible idea. Just spend the extra $5-10 and get the right tool for the job instead of risking your eyeballs in a freak accident.

Rub your face with a hot washcloth before shaving or in the shower. It will both warm and make your hairs stand up more for a closer easier shave.
I have wirey as fuck facial hair, made a huge difference for me.

Or you can break it in half while it's still in its wrapping like I've been doing without issue for years. I'm not quite sure how autistic you have to be break a blade in half and with the paper on and cut yourself let alone get it in your fucking eyes

>shave after showering or sauna

What if you take cold showers?

Get a safety razor and shaving soap.

Is there anything you can do for a constant 5oclock shadow? Apparently my skin is thing on my face but super durable as i can hack the hell out of it and it still stays intact without problems.

>Apparently my skin is thing on my face but super durable
huh?

Does shaving wear out/damage the skin in? Seems like literally scraping it with a razor blade can't be good long-term.

Ignore Limits
Taking your body & mind to the next level

Search the site ...
SEARCH
My “American Psycho” Inspired Morning Routine
July 7, 2016 By SJ

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Pinterest
Patrick Bateman’s ‘American Psycho’ Morning Routine
American Psycho Morning Routine

“I live in the American Gardens building on West 81st street. My name is Patrick Bateman.
I’m 27 years old.
I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine.

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I’ll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.
After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion.
In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser.
Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.
Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.
I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older.
Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

ive been shaving after (hot) showers with just water, using disposable razors. if you run the razor under really hot water it helps. I have no problems with this and dont want to use cream in case it causes pimples

Just moved from DE safety to shavette. Great on the cheeks and chin, but I'm having issues with the compound curves under the curve of my jawbone (think just under jaw about in line with sideburns) and keep giving myself nasty razor burn. Any way to help with this? I'm moving slow, keeping cream wet and smooth, and stretching the skin. There are still convex parts of my jaw even with stretching and head tilt that are the bitch bits. Advice?

>and will probably have some left over for your sons when they reach shaving age

>someone on fit having children

lel. although it is funny to see fit shoehorn having children into a lot of stuff like you all think youll actually make it

your skin grows back dingus

Everytime I use a safety razer I feel like I'm just cutting myself and not shaving. Like I can't even shave once with one. What am I doing wrong?

Too much pressure or wrong angle. I suggest closed combs for starting the de shaving. I still use it after 5 years. The more the shaver weights the easier it is to handle imo.

Beard trimmer or dry shave from a meme barber. Or invest in a really expensive electric razor.

>not shaving with the Chad straight razor
No paying for new blades for your whole life

HOW DO I DEAL WITH HYPERPIGMENTATION SCARS

Not sure if 100% helpful, but I pat my face with a wet hot towel for a few minutes before shaving. Read it in a magazine ages ago and it's just become a routine

Shower more often

Astra Superior Platinum is GOAT cheap blades tbhfam

On Amazon you'll get 100 blades, + an Arko Shaving Soap Stick for £12.24.

I use merkur 42c with gillette Silver blues
But i'd recommend mühle r89, it shaves well with pretty much every blade, unlike 42c

this

got 2 now but you have to hone the blade every 6 months

when i started using a DE razor this guy was recommended a lot:
youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI&feature=relmfu

>If you're shaving your face in under 3 minutes (assuming that your facial hair is short and not an actual full grown beard), you're going way to fast.
what

recommendations on a good badger hair brush ?

>dad
I know I'm not the only guy here who was raised by a single mother and learned guy stuff from Veeky Forums.

i assume user meant to say that washing your face with soap, whipping up fresh lather, applying it to your face and then carefully shave using a de razor or straight razor with one pass with the grain, one pass perpendicular to the grain and one pass against the grain takes longer than a few minutes.

Double edge razors are literally the reddit fedora of shaving. Additionally, they are not for people with sensitive skin, bumps or any sort of even slightly raised freckles on their face. Just get a Mach 3 and some non-comedogenic shave gel, get your face hot via shower or hot towel and shave.

>Additionally, they are not for people with sensitive skin, bumps or any sort of even slightly raised freckles on their face
>Just get a Mach 3

fucking idiot

For safety razor beginners, I found that Astra blades are the least likely to result in accidental cuts - I can but pretty rough & quick against my skin with them.

With feather blades you need to be careful not to cut yourself and shave much slower and carefully.

More blades = more irritation

Also your grandfather wasn't a redditor

Fuck off to , son

>a blade so sharp that it will literally slice the freckles off your face is a good idea for people with freckles

No, but young people who act like grandpas today are. Do you check your pocketwatch when you're done shaving eith your safety razor?

Mach 3 and anything else with unnecessary extra blades will cause far more irritation for people with sensitive skin. I do not have a totally smooth face and my safety razor has never cut anything off.

Also calling something that is cheaper, more effective and kinder to your face "fedora" just makes you an idiot. Literally the only reason modern cartridge razors even exist is Gillette marketing back in the day.

have a shower before
use good quality foam or whatever and leave it for a min
use a clean, sharp razor
shave with the grain, and then do it again against the grain if not close enough
use some high alcohol aftershave after

there. thats the traditional way your daddy should have taught you

have u even shaved with one before?

The reddit of shaving is clearly a straight razor dude

So you spend literally ten times as much on your shaving for a more irritating shave just because a safety razor is "old fashioned"? Do you only listen to top 40 pop music as well?

Thanks for the posts guys, I've been contemplating on switching to a DE razor for a while. Mainly because the disposable cartridges are expensive as fuck.

Question; how "safe" are the DEs compared to the 5-blade cartridges?

does anyone else have to trim their facial fuzz before they use a razor ?

I can barely grow facial hair, I only have shave once a week. but if I use a razor it pulls on my face and hurts like a prick, I even use a 5 blade and it still hurts. so I'm forced to use an electric razor then use a normal razor. pain in the ass

it's pretty hard to cut yourself (even with applied pressure) with mild/beginner blades i.e astra platinum or derby

Switched from mach 3 to DE. Have only ever had very few nicks and cuts before and after. With DE small nicks are to be expected when you're hasty though. Only serious cut I had in 8 years was when I was nervous before a job interview and wanted that extra close shave.

Just don't put a lot of pressure on, let the razor do the work. Never drag the blade sideways along your face and take things slowly until you get the hang of it.

Thanks!

I've only used disposable razors in my life. How do I even use a "real" razor?

FUCK ALL OF YOU POST FIT RELATED FACIAL HAIR

Yes

Be wary of starting kits. I got one that looked fancy, and came with a mug/soap, brush, razor, and a pack of blades. The soap/mug were decent, but both the razor and blades were garbage. I got a Merkur or however it's spelled and some decent blades on Amazon and they were 10x better.

No, you need to sharpen it about every 6 months. You need to hone it pretty much before every use which is why they are a pain in the ass compared to safety razors.

>i use a double-edge safety razor, beware of my blade

If you can properly control the razor, feather blades are sharp as fuck and can easily slice through 1-2 weeks of neglected facial hair. If you can't properly control it though, you are better off with astras that won't make it look like you emo cut your face.