Is it ok the just replace the bench press with The Press? Lifting things as high as possible is alpha as fuck

Is it ok the just replace the bench press with The Press? Lifting things as high as possible is alpha as fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQZNGdkVck
youtube.com/watch?v=cbuFgADhdBw
youtu.be/xzNys0OjRxw
youtu.be/zIo-vJIcccs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I guess, but it's also alpha to be good at the lift that everybody and their mom wants to be good at.

as long as you do something to make up for the chest and tricep volume you'll be missing it's fine

but a lot of pressers back when OHP was a contested lift would use incline bench and close grip bench as accessories to the OHP so you may not want to eliminate benching entirely, just focus on OHP

better be born with short arms then

Do both
You're stupid

I did. Both my press and bench went got weaker. I'm quite a tricep dominant bencher so mostly hit my tri's doing it, removing it meant my triceps became a lagging part in the press.

You can do it, just make sure you've got some tricep/chest work involved somehow. Tricep extensions overhead are what I'm currently doing for more strength, plus some DB incline's for a bit of chest.

nice argument

The press is a full kinetic chain movement, while the bench press is technically an isolation movement. But don’t day bye to bench you’ll become a chestlet.

>better be born with short arms if you want to be good at a lift anyone can do
>get called stupid
>proceed to tell him “nice argument” in a beta fashion attempting to eclipse the fact that you’re actually fucking dumb.

Seriously, the first part of your post was decent then you said some meme worthy lanklet cope shit.

I did this but not really by choice. It's just too hard to get bench press in at the gym. The entire bench section is just a stupid nightclub and I don't have time to wait for a bench.

The bench is the least critical of the four primary movements, but I wouldn't leave it out. You can certainly focus on the press, but unless the bench is causing you injury, it needs to be performed.

Strongmen still bench for a reason.

how many long armed IPF record holders in the bench press are there again? how many short armed deadlift record holders? it's almost like certain lifts favor certain anthropometries

anyone without some deformity can get a good bench (140kg at least if you're an average sized guy), but if you want to be in the 99.9th percentile for strength in the only lift literally fucking everyone who steps foot in a gym trains consistently and seriously, you better have the right build for it

Skellies of fit, how long did it take you to get to 1plate ohp? Im at 85lbs rn,

for 1 or for 3x5?

I just 1RMed 1 plate 6 months in, but I started as a dyel fatass

just for one

This post is what happens when you're a dyel trying to use a word you just learned

No one said elite level lifting you mong.

Nobody said anything about being in the 99.9th percentile
Btw It's not rare to see 6'5''+ giants in the 120+ weight class benching more than you' ll ever deadlift in your entire life and those dudes have some long ass arms

>45088687
>Implying 100% of people who are lifting for strength are ever gonna be in the 0.01% or even aim to be, rather than just being as strong as they can possibly be

Why even post if you're just gonna be retarded?

How is it technically an isolation exercise?
Why is a longer kinethic chain better?
Do you simply repeat the (wrong) information you hear without understanding shit?
Why do you talk about things that you don't understand?

What? Are you retarded? Would you replace chocolate syrup with mayo?

Do it both, and understand that these two exercises are different.

A longer kinetic chain is better because it works the whole body in the movement. The bench press only has a chain from the hands to the scaps, which is why it’s more of an isolated movement

Your mom

Sure, you can just do dips as an Accesory to get your chest work

>wingspan 3" wider than height
>just benched 300 lbs a few days ago

Take your broscience elsewhere

Nice arch

Ohp is more alpha anyway

OHP
- alpha af shoulders
- big af shoulders
- big af upper chest
- looks alpha af

Bench
- poverty shoulders
- who wants a big lower chest?
- shit upper chest
- shit triceps

clear choice mate

taking it from the floor first is pure alpha

god dam klokov gets my blood moving

do both
how is this even a discussion?

billstarrr blogspot co uk/2012/01/banish-bench-by-bill-starr.html

After some pec problems strict OPH is my main pressing movement. I have lost lower pec size but my upper pecs are getting really thick. Best strict press is at 105kg x 5 at 95kg bodyweight

Nice, any tips on how to train strict press?

I do it twice a week. Right now i do half pyramids. Sample week can be like
Workout 1
65kg x 10
77.5kg x 8
85kg x 6
95kg x 6

And workout 2
65kg x 8
72.5kg x 8
77.5kg x 8
85kg x 8
90kg x 8

But i dont know if thats optimal^^ My long term goal is 140kg at 93kg bodyweight for a 1.5 bw OHP. But that is many years away

Jennifer thompson have pretty long arms and are strong in both bench and deadlift

I'd say add in a third day doing doubles and triples, i found that i have to lift really heavy in order to press in the right groove

And one thing more. I never thinked the push press gave anything for my strict press.

Ever done a heave press? You take a weight a little bit heavier than you can press and press it as high as you can.

Really helped me blast through the sticking point, looks abit silly though

No never but maybe i should try it. Its always fun do try new exercises

I just feel like I wasn't made for benching. I can manage 85kg strict OHP for 2 reps, and I fucking struggle to do 105kgx2 on the bench. I have shit form on the bench, but I can't figure out why my leverages are so bad.

I've honesty benched 2plate like 3 years and never made any progress, I only get better at OHP.

The Chad lifting competition
>Cleans his press
>Perfectly built body
>Full ROM

The Virgin powerlifting competition

>Attempts to break his neck to achieve an arch
>3mm ROM
>Has to rely on somebody else unracking the weight

That's around ~150kg btw

He did 162.5kg in that competition

An isolation movement, by definition, only works one muscle. Now shut up.

2-3 months

I'm on 5x5 and want to focus more on ohp as it is lagging behind and I like it more. I'm thinking doing it 2x every week and maybe adding a few sets of push press after doing bench. Thoughts?

if you were only doing it once a week no wonder it was lagging, 3x a week for ohp at least in my opinion

Yes. Throw in some dips - which are GOAT accessory for The Press according to Bill Starr and others who pressed big weights in the 50s and 60s before bench became popular - and you'll hit enough chest.

>heave press
So basically picking a weight you know you'll fail to press and just pressing it as high as you can? How many sets reps do you do this for? I can imagine that's a pretty stressful movement.

Honestly just 1-2 sets where you keep pressing the weight till you can barely lift it an inch off your chest should be enough

>tfw short arm master race
I can almost bench my diddly

Oh yeah and the weight should be just heavy enough that you can get it to the sticking point but not past it

>short arms
You probably diddly

Your deadlift is incredibly weak, or you have a generous definition of almost.

Lmao, bitch doing curls not only work the anterior delts, but it also forces the forearms to work. I guess by that definition curls are a compound

let's see, what are long arms good for
>better reach which is better for fighting, climbing, picking shit off the ground, dunking a basketball, catching a ball

what are short arms good for?
>can lie down on a bench and move a bar

Reminder that the Bench Press is an accessory for The Press™

>Powershitters

replace bench with dips

How do you maximise strength without much weight gain? I want to be able to strict press my bodyweight or more

Proficient benchers load their whole body. If you just flop down on the bench, you're doing it wrong.

Just do The Press OP, Bench Press is overrated af, its a poor chest developer, you're prone to shoulder injuries and its dangerous. Unless you're a powerlifter, I see no reason why you should do Bench Press, dumbbells are much better.

I wish the press didn't fall out of style when it got banned from the olympics because of poor judging methods.

Would love to see someone press 200kg+, closest I've seen is eddie halls 216kg axle bar clean and press

Lolz still does not mean the bar path reaches your feet

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M

This is what a world record ohp looks like
This is what it would look like from the side

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQZNGdkVck

People today would just bitch that they use too much hips, I mean we could implement a no hips rule, but then they would just use somthing else like the T spine.

>I mean we could implement a no hips rule
This, just implement the rule and enforce it. As for training, do both I guess but I prefer to do a strict one and not one of Mark's hip drive version.

Yeah I've seen that, but i don't like the double backbend that turns it into another quick lift like the snatch etc

I don't think that the press belongs there. Its a slow raw strength exercise and weightlifting is now all about speed strength. It's much more amazing to watch. Powerlifting is already boring as fuck to watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=cbuFgADhdBw<

It's awesome to put big numbers above your head. That's why jerk exists.

>another quick lift like the snatch
What did he mean by that?

What the fuck are you mumbling about?

Its a great spectacle to see somebody take huge weight from the floor and stand up holding it above their head, seeing somebody lie on a bench with a big arch and then moving the bar 5 inches is not.

Search "the quick lifts by bill star"

You know what i meant, the snatch, clean and jerk have you moving your body quickly to get the weight into position

I thought i directed my message to this guy

>I like owg
>how’s my routine guise
>I do technique work for cardio sometimes
>strength work lolz what are you a powerlifter
>lmao how much do you weigh
>you better be < 50kg or a 100kg snatch is shit
>my coach is a crossfit coach who made it to nationals

Attached: 75717786-99C4-48DA-85CB-34A0C2A25E17.jpg (640x993, 450K)

I would like to see somebody do this

But with 200kg

tru

Just fyi weightlifters has the press as an acessory

>isolation movement

That's not what isolation movement means, brainlet.

Attached: 1513197039963.jpg (411x337, 18K)

I did, worked out fine. I just do a single heavy set of bench/row on my heavy days. I start my volume day with flat dumbell press, so I guess it evens out.

I would say just stick to volume work on the bench press. You'll get better at both but the Press is so useful it warrants the heavy work, imo.

t. guy slowly moving towards weightlifting.

You do realize that “isolation movements” aren’t actually isolation movements. The bicep curl involves the biceps, forearms and antierior delts for instance. The bench press is isolation of the chest and triceps basically.

No. An isolation movement trains one joint. If you curl, it's one joint. You're using multiple elbow flexors, but it's an isolation because it involves one joint through range of motion.

how do you curl without your wrist being involved? Some kind of strap?

See

Most people aren't moving their wrist through extension and flexion when they curl.

youtu.be/xzNys0OjRxw

Tommy kono at 1:45 is so cool

Hah nice try jew

Still using wrist and fingers otherwise you would drop the weight :^)

So what, are you gonna argue that an isolation movement simply does not exist?

Just being pedantic m8

How can anyone lift like that? It’s like claiming to be an ladies man when all you do is pay for hookers

Ego

The Press (c), Db bench and...
>weighted dips
is the Natty goat push split

Their forms are horrendous

This was normal back then, not like the fine tuned techniques of today

No wonder their numbers are so shit

youtu.be/zIo-vJIcccs

watch this, john davis was considered the strongest man at that time and a 200kg clean and jerk was unheard of

>Lets look at all these things you aren't interested in doing but at which you might be disadvantaged
Nobody cares
>better reach which is better for fighting
Lol my reach is better than yours nigga

Attached: waterfilter_salesman.gif (320x240, 1.02M)

shoulder is fucky so i quit doing barbell bench a few weeks ago. currently pressing twice a week (1 volume day 1 strength day) and doing dumbell flat and incline and cable chest flies (each 1x a week).

is that enough chest volume to not look like shit? i've never done dips before so i'm gonna try them sometime since it seems theyll kill 2 birds with 1 stone

also fuck barbell bench, shit is dumb. the press(tm) makes my shitty shoulder feel great