How do I help my dad?

How do I help my dad?

He is severely depressed. He gained a big gut and does nothing except for watch TV and drink beer. He belches all the fucking time and claims that wine helps balance out the acids and makes him stop burping. He is unemployed and hates the darkness of winter. He also has tremendous back pains now. He was literally crawling up the stairs last night at 2am.

How can I help him?

I want to convince him to take vitamin D3 for his winter blues, but he is against taking pills. I'm really fucking frustrated. He aged 5-10 years on his face this past year (he's in his late 50s).

Attached: 1458681978294.jpg (500x336, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JzkXZAD_cT8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why not pay for a vacation if you can? Then structure a diet for him to lose weight?

>you will have to take care of your parents and be forced to watch them painfully and slowly die and theres nothing you can do to stop it
fuck

Get a whore to cheer him up

Attached: 51a00991c488a50b74bd984f32c82ee7.jpg (960x960, 1005K)

I'm in debt myself, if I could afford to help my parents financially then I would. He claims a vacation would help him too, but I have my doubts. How would a vacation change anything once he comes back? It's too huge of a risk if it doesn't pay off. There are renovations that need to be handled in his house, it's not practical to go off drinking in a hot country when his house is falling apart.

I'm going to try to structure a program for him and back it with scientific studies; does anyone have any tips?

You can't reverse a persons decisions user, or make them for someone.

When middle aged guys start heavily drinking they start brain damaging themselves, they can't clear detoxify the alcohol from their blood like a 20 year old. He won't be thinking straight, that's why he's making those kinds of stupid excuses.
You're going to need to aim at stopping his drinking, but thats easier said than done.

Go see a psychologist (there are a lot of free places out there) and ask for some suggestions on how to help him. You could probably benefit from having someone to vent to, as well.

He thinks what he drinks isn't unhealthy for him because he doesn't actually get drunk. But he will have a beer or two almost every night when he sits alone in the dark. It's obviously not helping him.

Does anyone have any links to any scientific studies related to daily moderate alcohol use? He believes scientific studies if they're conducted by catholics.

Easy fix, tell him go full vegan (beer drinking allowed) and send him to thailand for few months

Attached: 1515025308595.jpg (560x577, 136K)

Fuck off retard

>he's in his late 50s

Too late to fix your life at that age.

user, why is he depressed? Did something happen? Maybe take him out for walks in the weekend, talk to him about it.

Show him Jordan B Peterson

or kick his ass idk

>tfw been away from home for 4 years and I'm about to finally be back from overseas this year and my parents are now in their 60's

Attached: 1516746402745.png (576x597, 60K)

Is that ted Kazinsky? God dam do I miss you Teddy

You can't help people that don't want to be helped, and there's no guarantee that by helping them you won't drag yourself down.

Save yourself, be a positive example. Let him know that you're there for him if he decides he wants to change.

Here's Canadian Internet daddy to say basically what I just said:
youtube.com/watch?v=JzkXZAD_cT8

Attached: jordanpeterson.jpg (981x819, 203K)

Looking good Ted!

Attached: ted.png (1358x1744, 2.66M)

I think he feels like a failure. He doesn't feel useful. He regrets a lot of important decisions he made when he was younger. He's unemployed and lives in a small town where jobs are scarce.

Bullshit, he wasn't always like this. I just don't want him destroying himself. His life has started to deteriorate rapidly these past few years. I don't believe that I can't slow that down.

He's familiar with Jordan Peterson but only listens to his political talks. Do you have any lectures by JP that might help my dad?

Man, that is rough. Maybe you can convince him that you still need him. Does he have any hobbies or passions? Maybe do some volunteer work with him for that, get him out of the house?

He doesn't have any hobbies. His only recent passion is in politics, he sits and watches garbage TV until he goes to sleep, then goes straight to the TV when he wakes up.

He also collects random garbage, like bottle caps. He gets mad if someone throws garbage like that out.

How can I get him passionate about a productive hobby?

I'm not planning to get so old to have to depend on other people, fuck this shit.

Literally just put vitamin D and zinc into his food, he clearly can't regulate himself mentally or physically so treat him like a baby. Maybe put UV bulbs in as well.

I would feel bad about spiking his coffee with vitamin D. But it's seriously tempting right now.

I heard zinc increases the chances of prostate cancer, that isn't true? What are the benefits of zinc?

Get him onto /pol/ that should fire him up.
But seriously look around or even make a meeting group for people with similar psssions.

Its hard/impossible to change people user.

You can only hope to be a good influence by being an inspiration. Take him for a short run. Cook together. Go to a museum or something. Anything that will provide that sense of accomplishment can set someone on a path to self-improvement. Keep that in mind