Who here /fitlit/?

Who here /fitlit/?

Attached: C65E35C3-6AFC-45A7-9C78-C6CE33D5A63C.jpg (1616x2864, 559K)

Other urls found in this thread:

existentialcomics.com/blog
existentialcomics.com/blog/1/How_to_study_philosophy_as_an_amateur
plato.stanford.edu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not puting the new testament

never gonna make it

Women read fiction

"No!"

I liked to kill a mockingbird more than Gatsby

Is this bait? Atlas shrugged is pure ideological propaganda, there's no entertainment or educational value there.

Why would you post literally 2012 Veeky Forums bait to start a /fitlit/ thread?

Oh right you don't actually read you just use books to feel smart nice. As a lit professor, lifting for ~7 years now, /fitlit/ as an identity is fucking idiotic

>(((ayn rand)))
>God tier

Attached: 1464296070145.jpg (900x600, 282K)

goddammit you idiots Veeky Forums is really the easiest board to troll

(((everything)))

Reading Yukio Mishimas stuff atm. I like it

No fucking Vonnegut? How many people do you think survived the firebombing of Dresden and came out as chad as Kurt? Slaughter-house five is mainstream for a good reason. I'd also recommend Jailbird.

Fucking Gatsby though? Dude got cucked hard before getting killed at the end. Atlas shrugged is boring as fuck and takes hundreds of pages just to say "Be selfish and work only for yourself".

Also, I'd throw the Art of Zen by Alan Watts and The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus in the God-Tier category.

How the fuck do you see OP's image and think it's an actual list

As opposed to an imaginary list? What the fuck are you talking about. I'm commenting on his suggestions and adding my own.

>Putting Tolkien on the bottom
Kys

Just a Veeky Forumsizen, total Veeky Forumslet, but I'll get there

>god tier
>generic shit books that brainlets think actual smart people read

>no SS
>no Practical Programming

Fucking Ayn Rand in the god-tier or even good book list.

No hesse, thomas mann, goethe, proust or flaubert and not a single philosophical book in it aswell.

Just stick to your brosplit and curls retard

Attached: me.jpg (634x607, 192K)

Beginner /fitlit/ here only started reading a few books. What are some good philosophy books?

Should I read Crime and Punishment or The Idiot next?
Already read TBK (three times) and Notes

I don't have the patience for fiction anymore, be it books or movies or TV. It's either non-fiction or YouTube.

In case you can't tell that list is utter dogshit

Ayn Rand and The Great Gatsby in God Tier when Tolkein is in shit tier. I know this is bait, but you still fucking transcend faggotry. Kill yourself.

Attached: 1466588427006.jpg (500x501, 42K)

I think its suppose to be bait, no one int heir right mind would put rand above Joyce

Well since I do academic philosophy I don't know what you really have the will to get into.

You'll get recommended marc aurels meditations and the myth of sisyphos from camus here for sure because they are quite easily accessible and they are interesting. I also recommend nietzsche since the idea of creating your own values is very good for your every day life and the language isn't that hard either.

Apart from that it depends what you want to get into:
For example if you just want belletristic with some philosophical depth you can just read dostojewski , musi (might be hard)l or hesse if you don't mind pathos that much
If you want to really find the roots of existentialism go start with kierkegaard, then move on to heidegger and maybe do some sartre/camus/beauvoir after that even though I never liked what the french made out of it.

If you want classic stuff start with the apology of socrates, the protagoras by platon and then move to some works of aristotle, the stoics, epicureans and so on.

If you want modern knowledge there's descartes and kant (super hard to get into the latter though), hegel, maybe even marx if you're into political thought.

I'd lay the fingers off postmodernism before you have a proper fundament of knowledge since it mostly will just confuse the shit out of you and make you some nihilistic overly irrational left wing fag.

Attached: best.jpg (564x705, 79K)

Oh I totally forgot about Schopenhauer. Just put him in the modern knowledge part but keep in mind that he's qutie pessimistic but has some good aspects if you're into buddhism (which is closely related to middle time stoicism btw.)

Isn't this list bait from Veeky Forums?

Yes yes well done, Slytherin, well done Slytherin, HOWEVER - there are some last minute issues we need to take into account.well, actually there's only one issue, and that's that Slytherin house is a part of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1519473094909.jpg (1578x2842, 1.27M)

Saved, thanks for the recommendations.
I have read a bit into Mediations but it's taking me some time since most of the words were previously unknown to me before. From your suggestions I think I will work my way up, starting by reading the work from Camus and Nietzsche. What would you suggest a beginner to read from the works of Nietzsche?

agreed, kek is this a bait fucking kanye west book and clifford(???) in mid tier with sartre and joyce

now I feel stupid for not lookin through the whole thread and replying to obvious bait but wtf op meant by posting that

here's a good list: existentialcomics.com/blog

existentialcomics.com/blog/1/How_to_study_philosophy_as_an_amateur
woops

>god tier - dark knight rises, atlas shrugged
>high tier - invisible man
>middle tier - kanye west, charlotte's web, clifford
garbage taste

>putting notes from underground and brave new world in low tier

this is either a bad troll or you're retarded. I also don't trust by your shit judgment that you've actually read Brothers K or Ulysses.

I'm not the guy you're responding to, but I think you're on the right track starting with those guys. The existentialist philosophers are probably going to be the easiest for modern people to relate to.

Nietzsche is great, but also easy to misinterpret. Definitely keep that in mind.

Fountainhead > Atlas Shrugged

nice pasta bitch

Thanks guy. This is pretty helpful.
Got it, will do. Thanks for the support guys. Do you feel that reading philosophy has affected your life in anyway?

>LORD OF THE RINGS
>SHIT TIER

TROLL IMAGE. SAGE AND HIDE

1. Genealogy of Morals, Essay 1
2. Section of Twilight of the Idols on Socrates
3. The Antichrist

After that you can go wild. But I think understanding his (feeling of) power/ressentiment dichotomy is the key to getting started. Very rel8ed to his ideas about decadence.

Attached: Nietzsche187c.jpg (1956x2940, 1.73M)

>great gatsby god tier

fucking bait

And no Brave New World, FUCK Ayn Rand too

Any of you cucks have read don quixote? im a spanishfag and had to read that shit in school and almost died thorugh it. Absolutely horrible

That nigga was such a cynical litteral cuck. Holy shit.

Brainlet

Crime and Punishment is my favorite book ever, so I would highly recommend it, but I've never read the Idiot.

reading this now

comfy as fuck my nibbas

Attached: 51zJS6PmxbL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (335x499, 34K)

/filmfit/ here

Attached: 1485644108262.jpg (979x1269, 378K)

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

shitizen kane, avatar, and searches don't belong with the kino listed

Is this a list middle school summer reading list?

The Odyssey and the Iliad by homer are where you want to start

Quentin is a prophet come to speak the truth.

Damn I'm honestly jealous of all the (You)s OP got. I need to figure out how to make raimiposting Veeky Forums related

what did u think of heart of darkness

>this thread

Holy fuck meatheads really are retarded.

No skullduggery pleasant
No spooks apprentice
Nothing by Paul Jennings
Come on now

I honestly think that The Idiot is better. I read it a month ago and I still catch myself thinking about it, while Crime and punishment goes 'straight to the point' without much complexity.

what the fuck is this meme list

Descartes's Meditations (and Objections and Replies to it; maybe also his Discourse on Method). I recommend the Cottingham, Stoothof, Murdoch translation, everything you'll need to start is in the Selected Philosophical Writings book.

Follow this with Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Nature.

Important note: DO NOT TRY TO READ PHILOSOPHY LIKE A NOVEL. Read slowly and multiple times. Try to figure out whether you should really accept what is being said, where exactly it's going wrong (if it is). It helps to try to rewrite their arguments in your own way. If you can't explain it to someone else, you don't understand it.

Good luck! (by the way: a very good philosophy resource is the SEP: plato.stanford.edu/ )

DEH!

Attached: POTTA.jpg (456x510, 35K)

Anyone who likes Gatsby more has soul for brains

Lol your list sucks, why is Tolkein on the bottom? Why isnt the Bible in God-tier, its literally the only book that deserves to be in that category.

Tpbp

Sup reddit.

Anthem was enjoyable.

C and P but both are great, you cant go wrong

>Slaughter-house five is mainstream for a good reason

Attached: 1387862989976.gif (260x192, 1.95M)

>entry level fiction
>not exclusively reading academic tomes

>see this thread
>open it expecting the Harry Potter pasta
>nothing
One job, OP.

Brainlet

>hypersphere

What an awful picture haha