QTDDTOT

is OHP safe to do with a previous rotator cuff impingement? afraid of messing the shoulder up again

Attached: 1509089295782.png (999x624, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts
youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone please give me feedback on my GSLP set up? I want it to transition to OLing, but as of now i just want to get stronger for grappling.

A
High Bar Back Squat 3x5
Dumbbell OHP/Bench Press (alt) 3x5
Front Squat 3x3
Lateral Raises 3x10
Pendlay Row 3x5

B
Deadlift (conventional) 1x5
Dumbbell OHP/Bench Press (alt) 3x5
Front Squat 3x3
Dumbbell Curls 3x10

AxBxAxx

Thinking of squatting all 3 days, but not sure if that's too much on my CNS.

I'd drop the front squats on A

non-Veeky Forums here

last night i wanted to start working out so i forced myself to do ~40 pushups until my arms gave out

now the back of my right bicep hurts really bad and i cant put pressure on it. did i push myself too much and should let it heal or fight through the pain and do pushups again tonight

rest tonight and get a gym membership tomorrow then lift weights

Rest tonight. No point in doing an arbitrary number of pushups like that really. Do 3x10 pushups and if you can do them, move onto a harder variation like diamond pushups. However, like the other poster said, going to the gym will get you faster gainz than bodyweight exercises.

But if you want to do bodyweight exercises properly, follow this routine instead of whatever you're doing now.

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Can someone criticize my current routine ? New to working out and do this 2X a week atm cause it's all I can get to the gym. Going to add swimming 1 day a week for cardio when the pool is fixed.
Flat Barbell Bench Press
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 6 reps

Dumbbell Row
- 40.0 lbs x 11 reps
- 40.0 lbs x 9 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps

Leg Press
- 140.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 140.0 lbs x 13 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 16 reps

Overhead Press
- 50.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 8 reps

Back Extension (with ball)
- 8.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 8.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 15 reps (no ball)

Decline Crunch
- 10 reps
- 8 reps

DOMS
read sticky
lift weights
welcome to Veeky Forums

thanks guys. i just felt really motivated last night so i found this routine online that had me do sets of different types of pushups. after around 40 or so i couldnt do anymore.

If you're new to working out, you shouldn't have the same weight every workout. Noobs go up in weight real fast, because cns and noob gains.
Do more compounds. The only leg exercise you have there is leg press. Do squats instead.

Does jelqing actually work in the long run? Been jelqing for a month and have got about a centimeter in total gains so far, isn’t much but hoping I can get around 2 to 3 inches within the next couple of years. I’m also 21 and pretty chubby by the way.

You'll gain way more from losing weight than whatever jelqing would get you

is there actual scientific proof behind smelling salts or is that just marketing bullshit

how big is it user? can guarantee getting an extra 2-3 inches will not happen

What is a recomp?
Surplus on lifting and deficit on rest or maintainence everyday?

How to man up and start going to a gym?

Thanks for the advice and I do tick up in weight by 5-10lbs every other week or so lately, especially in rows. I'll work on learning squats. Would those replace leg press entirely in a workout if I get good or should I supplement squatting while maintaining leg press till i can do a big enough weight ?

1. Buy gym membership
2. Go there

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts

>5-10lbs every other week or so
Faster. You can go up much faster than that. 5lb a week at the least.

Leg press works quads.
Squat works erector spinae, hammies, gloots, and quads.
No point in leggy press if you're doing squats, unless your quads are falling behind, or you're an advanced lifter and have a reason to be doing leg presses.
Generally you should be doing more compounds and less isolation

OHP will fix shoulder issues when done correctly

How do I deal with pain midway in my forearm, just under my ulna?

I try to keep my wrists firm and straight during bicep curls and those tricep barbell things, but the pain is still there.

Thanks user I'll turn my goals up for tomorrow to see how it plays out and also get serious about learning squat.

Just watch a vid, read an article on bb, etc.
Good luck brah

It’s about 5.7 inches right now. Used to be 5.5 but been jelqing for a month and it’s got to 5.7 so far. I also weigh 265 pounds. I’ve heard stories online of people getting up to 3 inches and even past that so that’s what’s been motivating me.

how do i meet people and make friends?
the only people i talk to are online and it gets fuckin lonely sitting in my room. all i do is go to the gym and go to work and i dont really have any peers at work. my life is fuckin boring dudes

Attached: 1519775605084.png (195x189, 94K)

After doing some chin ups yesterday, I started getting a pain in the centre of my chest, right on the sternum. It still hurt the next day. Did I fuck up? Why is it hurting right there?

As an aside, anyone got that video of some prick talking about his gym and the dumb shit he gets away with there because he's friends with the owner? I've been looking for a while but can't find it.

Attached: Sternum_front.png (563x563, 218K)

What's a good set of equipment for someone who doesn't necessarily have space for a bench or access to a gym? My wife is due to have our son in May and our spare room has turned into the baby's room. The only gym in my area is an Anytime Fitness that I have taken issue with in the past, so that's out. I'm getting antsy as fuck not having an outlet and I need something I can throw my effort into, jogging and cycling doesn't do it for me. What should I get, Veeky Forums?

Attached: 921d2221a3f2aa88b7050563d143b546d7e5939713bf2c5cac049bd2e74b6c93-pol.jpg (534x401, 54K)

3x6 vs 3x8?

Also interested. I've been doing 3x6 because some user told me it was better than 8 for a beginner but never gave me a reason why.

p.s. aesthetics are the goal

I second the guy telling you to drop the front squats on A. I also think 1x5 deadlift is too low of volume and saw much better results back when I started doing 3x5 instead. Some people in Veeky Forums (mostly powershitters I'm one of them) will disagree, but high squat volume compared to my deadlift gave me t-rex mode and a 415 squat compared to a 395 dead.

Make sure it isn't DOMS or a booboo. If it is an injury (not sure how u can injure yourself doing pushups) instead of a booboo you are fine.

I have no idea what the fuck you are trying to do here. What are you goals?

If you are trying to wake someone up from being knocked out or hit a 1-3 rep PR they work great.

Recomp is changing your bodyfat/muscle ratios while maintaining roughly the same weight. Losing fat while gaining muscle is an example.

Join clubs of shit you are interested in and find people that like the same shit.

You can do a lot of shit with a pull up bar and some dumbbells. This is not ideal.

Depends on goals

Pic related. Even when training for aesthetics the rule of thumb is to get a strength base first. This isn't a meme. 6 is closer than 8 for developing strength. Until you are in the 1000 lbs club you are still just some fag fucking around in the gym and shouldn't be trying to specifically train hypertrophy over strength or power yet. Everyone does the same shit for the first year or two. That's just how it is. That's why SS/SL is pushed so hard for beginners.

Attached: repranges.png (1177x745, 44K)

>If it is an injury (not sure how u can injure yourself doing pushups) instead of a booboo you are fine.
*booboo not and injury haha

Thanks, will stick to 6.
is 5x5 better though?
>1000lbs club
?

1000 lbs club is when your total 1rms of bench squat and dead add up to over 1000 lbs. 3x5 vs 5x5 has been argued for years and has no definitive answer.

Adidas powerlifts 3.1 or adipowers? Or any other good (olympic) weightlifting shoes yall recommend? I wear size 14.5-15 US

Can someone please give me a decent way to count my fucking macros? I'm sitting here with a pen and paper trying to organize a meal plan for the week, and adding this shit up and scrapping it if it doesn't fit what I want is tedious. Especially since I'm cutting and lose about a pound a week, so it is constantly changing.

I don't like apps, that is just a digital way of doing what I am already doing.

Attached: 1507350935127.jpg (633x758, 37K)

Ah that's what I thought. Those are some big numbers though and I've seen some aesthetic CBT posters much lower than that.
I'm a know-nothing DYEL though, so thanks.

>I don't like apps, that is just a digital way of doing what I am already doing.
No they're not. MyFitnessPal has a database for everything you eat. It takes me 2 seconds to put in a meal. No exaggeration, 2 seconds.
Get over yourself and use MyFitnessPal.

Explain to me how MyFitnessPal will help me plan my meals the week before.

>You can just plug your meals in!
Cool, just like I could just write down what I ate because the nutrition facts are right fucking there.

It is literally the same fucking thing, I find paper and pen more handy than that shit. At least with that method I can write out and physically see what I am doing.

I think you work out what weight u want to be at then work out the macros for that weight. Stick to that and u will becone thaat weight?

I'm only at 1100 at the tail end of a cut, and it really isn't impressive especially for my weight. Most people will be able to 2/3/4 after 2 years of consistent lifting easily and that's 945. Seems crazy, really isn't. 1500 natty is impressive, but that will take most people well over 5 years. 2k while pinning is impressive, but that means you are powerlifting at a national level at a higher weight class.

Alright grandpa
So you're saying (with ) that hypertrophy shouldnt be a focus until after multiple years of lifting?

is there any benefit to adding a final set of 20 for barbell curls? Also why do people say calves respond to high reps, I thought high reps only built muscle endurance?

sorta new to counting calories, getting fit, i read the sticky and learned about bmr. i downloaded mfp and am wondering if i should include my bmr daily calorie burn (2200kcal) alongside any calories burned from walking and exercising, in order to get a more complete picture of how much i burn a day.
I know theres tdee but thats a rough estimated average, whereas my method would be more precise I think.
I dunno, it seems cheating to me to say i burned 3000kcal on a day where i really only walked a couple miles.

pic is payment for answer

Attached: 1514485967033.jpg (1080x1350, 229K)

I personally just use TDEE and don't input any calories burned into MFP. I just meet my calorie goal every day.
Walking barely burns any calories, unless it's uphill for an hour or something. Don't stress the details.
After a few weeks you'll see how things are going and can decide if you need to eat maybe 100 more or less then.

How do I learn good posture?

I asked in the last thread, someone recommended 5x5 stronglifts, I went to the gym and realized I'd never used free weights and had no idea what the fuck I was doing. I damn near fell over while trying to squat with an empty bar.

Under the assumption that I was going to kill myself if I continued, I called it early and am now standing in my room and trying to practice the squat posture without bar or mirror, which is... well, it's something.

Any advice on how to properly prepare to do this without fucking myself?

I'm reading SS right now, and I'm having trouble understanding why they want power cleans to assist the deadlift. My thinking is that it's like you don't use an assisted pull-up machine to train and improve pull-ups, you just do pull-ups. Why use power clean to help train deadlifts instead of just doing 3x5 deadlifts at 70-80%?

There is probably an argument to be made if you're training to start olympic lifting, but does it matter if you don't plan to?

1.How to avoid this pimple / rash shit after shaving
2. Best way to get a thicker neck w/o injuring it, I often get a sore neck after sleeping on it wrong

Attached: F238367A-D40E-415C-A57A-3C47574F0E06.jpg (2320x2320, 806K)

Answer to #1: get "Magic Shave" from the beauty section of your grocery where they keep stuff for African people. It will stop the shave bumps.

Answer to #2: Buy a larger, firmer pillow and sleep on your back.

>there you go.

Attached: the-elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg (711x300, 38K)

I’ll try to find it but there’s no African people or African people section where I live

All beginners respond the same way to resistance training and you train them the same way. For a noobie stronger=bigger and the best way to do that is from linear progression programs like SS/SL. Basically, until you stop getting progress from bulking on an LP program that is 5 rep concentrated around compound lifts you should be doing LP. If you don't you are wasting your time. If you start with PPL 3x10 or some shit for aesthetics you will get to where you want to be, it will just take twice as long though. I'm assuming you want to gain muscle and strength as quickly as you can.

Hypertrophy specific programs should only be started after you completely milk at least a beginner LP program as much as you can. This will get you as big and as strong as possible for a noobie. After that you can specialize. Aesthetics is just proportional hypertrophy and low bodyfat %. SS/SL will give you the fastest hypertrophy if you haven't done consistent compound lifting before.

Look into DE razors or just switched to electric and keep a shadow constantly. Know how to use an alum block/aftershave.

I switched to a DE razor and shaving in the shower with a fogless mirror and never looked back. I save prolly $100+ a year from it as well.

You should practice with a broomstick and free squats. It will seems silly as fuck, but nobody around.

SS will help you with your apparent retardation levels of movement. I'm assuming you never played sports or really did hard labor in your life? This is the only way an adult ends up with the coordination of a toddler.

youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM

Good luck.

People that study lifting for a living and know much more about it than you with decades of experience training others wrote SS. You will only be doing it for 6-9 months probably anyway. Just fucking do it and move on.

I played sports like a decade ago. I started actively trying to work out in January, because my office work went virtual and I was no longer leaving the house for literally any reason.

desu, their 'empty bar' was locked in some free standing cage machine, and seemed to weigh around thirty or forty pounds even empty. But I am a fatguy so you're probably not far off.

Thanks m8. I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else enjoy the smell of their own ball sweat?
Every gf I've had has liked it but I do too. Am I gay for myself

But I want to know more, I want to understand. I don't want to just buy a car and drive it mindlessly, I want to know how the damn thing works and why things are where they are.

>You will only be doing it for 6-9 months probably anyway.
Why would I spend time learning to do something if I'm just going to drop it in a few months? That's kind of a red flag to me in it's level of importance if you're just going to write it off after telling me to do it.

>Join clubs of shit you are interested in and find people that like the same shit.
Don't do this. I went to one meeting of my local anime club. The weeb stench was unbearable.

Attached: disgust Mpeg.png (946x1421, 1.18M)

Have lost 55lbs since October. Currently 230 at 6ft so im trying to eat healthier and less.

Should I be peeling the skin off of my chicken? I just noticed a pack of chicken had more calories than I anticipated and Im wondering if taking the skin off will knock some of that off.

5’10 173 lbs and around 20% bodyfat. What is a relatively low bodyfat I could cut down to before bulking and about how much would I need to lose? I feel like anything below 155 would look small

Attached: 19BD5147-420C-4F66-9380-13FF12700DC9.jpg (2845x3791, 2.41M)

thank you for the response

Just keep at it and it will come back. The empty bar is probably around 50lbs for that. It is called a 3d smith machine. At the start of that video I linked Ripp has the guy doing the free squats I was talking about to get used to the movement before touching the bar. Try doing those throughout the day and move up to practicing with a broomstick and eventually go back to the 3d smith. You will be slowly teaching your body to utilize all the muscle it already has. The central nervous system has a great deal to do with lifting, it isn't just your muscles.

>seemed to weigh around thirty or forty pounds even empty
Yep a standard bar is 45 lbs.
Also a good substitute for a mirror is a camera. Most laptops/tablets have a front-facing camera and a decently sized screen so you could just turn that on and look at yourself in it. Or even record yourself for later inspection.

Fuck I just realized I should have pulled the skin off the chicken after cooking. Its in the trash now.

Assuming you lost no lean muscle mass and your 20% bf estimate is accurate, cutting down to around 160 would be solid.

i normally do push-ups or planks after taking a piss. am I fucking up?

You only do it for that many months because if you do it CORRECTLY with a good diet/rest/actually lifting right linear progression will not work after a certain amount of time because you will no longer be an untrained/novice lifter. Lifting gives diminishing returns and you have to change your training as a result, but you should know this if you read PP or any programming book really.

As for your original post, 1x5 deadlift has gotten criticism for the low volume. The idea behind it, as you probably know, is that the fatigue it causes can be a lot and the creators of SS and SL think upping the volume will decrease recovery enough that it should be limited. If you want to do 3x5 deadlifts then just do it you won't explode. Just remember that pretty much everyone studying exercise science thinks SL/SS are the way to go and they have 1x5 deadlifts. Low bar squats even help your deadlift, not just the cleans.

You do you though boo, it won't be the end of the world.

Attached: asdfasdtasyt.jpg (1040x716, 684K)

What are recommended work outs for getting bigger wrist. Skinny fag here.

Attached: 6BBF4AC7-BB64-4880-BD71-881CAA473D15.png (750x711, 87K)

Wrist or forearm?

Thanks. I'll keep at it. I just get a bit of analysis paralysis with everything I do, but I'll stick with it.

Wrist

Can't be done. There's no muscle there.

That's almost completely genetic.

What about forearm then

Attached: EBA2EB3D-C62A-42DD-92C7-331696EE5DB8.jpg (495x362, 28K)

Your fault for being interested in anime.

Try other things. Shooting club, biking, hiking, boardgames, wargames, any team sport, etc. The ingredient is "get a bunch of people who like the same topic together", if you don't like the people one topic gathers, choose another.

If I diet and exercise right, how much bodyfat do you guys think I could lose in a month realistically? One user I talked to said he lost 1% a week on a strict fast, which sounds like bs to me. I've never cut before and am full bearmode rn.

I didn't really get a good whiff of my own stink until somewhat recently. It smelled exactly like my ex's stink, which I would smell often during sex. This made me sad, and aroused.

1lb a week is a healthy goal. Some people do 2lbs but you'll lose muscle.

>diet and exercise right
Mom?
Count your macros and calories

t. broscience

That's not all what I'm asking. I'm asking why is SS using power cleans to supplement deadlift.

I'm not asking about increasing the deadlift 1x5 volume to 3x5. I'm asking about lighter deadlifts at 3x5 at 70-80%, like they do for squats wednesdays in the last phase of the routine, to alternate with the heavy deadlifts 1x5 at 100%.

I'm trying to figure out why they are using a non-deadlift exercises for the purpose training the deadlift when it just seems like they are two different exercises for two different goals. I'm probably just missing something, but you don't do leg press to train squats, you just squat more right?

Well yeah, 1lb a week. I'm asking per month, what a typical fag would lose as far as % wise. I'm probably like 16-20% bf right now. I'm pleased with where all my lifts are, I'm over 1/2/3/4 now by a good measure.

It depends on how much you cut and how much cardio you do. You can go to a 20% cut (2 lbs a week) without losing muscle mass, but beyond that you'll be losing muscle as well as fat. Doing cardio 3-6 times a week will speed it up a little, but not by much. I'd say 11-12 lbs per month tops without losing muscle mass, but only if you are dedicated to your calorie intake and cardio activity.

Two reasons.

One is that SS is originally a football prep program and being explosive is kind of useful there.

The other is that, yeah, you bloody well would use the leg press if squatting was already tearing you up. SS considers the deadlift secondary to the squat and so when faced with a conflict between squat workload and deadlift workload the squat wins out (since, to Rips mind, the squat builds the deadlift far better than the deadlift builds the squat).

Try doing some grip strength training. That might help thicken your wrists a bit, but because there's no actual muscle there so you're not going to see massive gains. Like the other user said, it's pretty much genetic.

As for forearms, try doing some reverse grip barbell curls and pull ups. I've had some decent results with that. Hammer curls might help a bit too.

I've been lifting for a little over a year now, I fucking hate cardio. I force myself to do 30 minutes every day, beyond that fuck that shit.

Deads and shrugs bruh.

Oh, I didn't read "bodyfat" as bf%, my bad.

If you lose 1lb a week of fat, how your bf% is affected depends on your weight and current bf%.

If you're 200lb at 20%bf, 4 weeks of losing 1lb, you will be 196lb at 18.37% bf. So for those for weeks that's .408%/week. However, after 4 more weeks, you'll be down to 16.67% bf at 192 lbs, which is .426%/week.
At 150lbs and 15% bf, 4 weeks of 1lb of fat lost a week goes down to .127% bf, which is .582% bf/week.

>.127%
12.7%*

So the deadlift is an accessory to the squat, and the power clean is an accessory to the deadlift, which in turn assists the squat? I'm giving an accessory exercise to an accesory?

>you bloody well would use the leg press if squatting was already tearing you up
I thought leg press was scoffed at by everyone as an inferior squat? Why not just do lighter squats to give your legs a rest instead of doing an inferior exercise?

Thanks user

please help i can't make my own decisions

30 minutes a day is good, all you have to do is just be consistent with it while you are cutting.

They are weightlifting shoes. You could nail some leather strips to a wooden block and get the same result, it's just a flat surface for you to brace your feet on held in place by the fabric. Just get whichever one has a big strap over the front that's in your price range and you'll be fine. Hell you could just buy some cheap chucks if you want to save money.

powerlifts

No. The squat is being used to build itself and to build the deadlift. The deadlift is being used to measure progress and get accustomed to pulling heavy - the actual building of the deadlift is mostly being done by all the squat work. The power clean is there to train explosiveness.

It isn't. You could believe that if you only read Veeky Forums but it isn't how high level lifters tend to work things. The squat is generally more important but the leg press fills a niche as a leg builder without the back stress of squatting (particularly important for people who squat with a lot of forward lean - you frequently end up limited by what your back can tolerate rather than your legs, which limits its use as a leg builder).

Ok, this is starting to make more sense now. The only thing I'm still confused about is the carryover of the power clean. Is training my explosiveness supposed to carry over to the squats/deadlifts? Am I supposed to lift them more explosively as I get stronger? If not, it just looks like it's only there to train itself like generating explosiveness for sports, like it was apparently for football (didn't know that it was originally for football, very interesting).

It does have some carryover (to over simplify things: If you miss a lift, it's because at some point you weren't able to generate enough force. Assuming you didn't fuck up the movement you've then got two options: get stronger at that point so you can generate more force there or have the bar moving faster when you hit that point so that momentum can compensate). But it's mostly because SS was originally for sports and the power clean does most of the same stuff that light deadlifting would anyway.

You could swap them for light deadlifts and, assuming you pulled those deadlifts as fast as you could, nothing much would change.

Can anyone give me the link of the study showing repeated trauma causes fat build up in that area? It was from the NIH. It's supposed to let your butt bigger.

Attached: 926df54810c1e9aa36104082ca4089f5.jpg (462x1251, 89K)

I see now. So it's training you to use force and momentum to get the initial drive up if strength alone is failing you. It seems a little overly complicated, but I suppose if it's a strength program made by experts with years of training, they would want to do everything they can to optimize the strength gain to the highest percentile. It just kind of feels like the difference between getting 95% results and 100% results, notable enough to warrent claiming to be the best but minimal enough that most people won't care. Regardless, I will do the program as written and see how far I go with power cleans.

Thank you very much for answer my questions and clearing up my confusion. Your time and effort in explaining is very apprciated. I hope I was not too aggrivating.

>doing "legend of he-man named after a castle in a kid's cartoon ripoff of SS made by someone who unironically calls himself both 'johnny PAIN' and 'strength villain'

Just do Starting Strength. Once you get all the basic lifts in good form, it's a rotation of 4 workouts. The Cleans will be essential for building power for grappling and will be a good introduction to the basics of OWL.

See above.

You probably fell for the onions and water fasting, too.

Like Jack LaLanne used to say, lose the belly. Every bit you lose of tummy makes what's below look larger.

If you've got a 10x10 space then you can have a complete gym with room for Olympic lifts. If you have about 10x6 then you can still fit a rack and all the powerlifts.

Pick a weight that stops you at 3x6 then add reps to 3x8, then add 5% to the weight to go down to around 3x6 again.

Why not alternate or rotate? 3x3 one week, 5x5 the next, 5x2 next week, 3x8 the fourth week, repeat?

Just worry about the min protons and total kcals and fuck the rest. Take a multivitamin and a couple of fish oil capsules each day.

What's the point of doing PHUL? Isn't it less volume than full body?

Why do the other boards go down sometimes but Veeky Forums is always up and running?