Bench press

>bench press
>increasing the chance of dying just for the gains

daily reminder that the overwhelming majority of gym related deaths are from the bench press

Attached: bench-press-accident.jpg (638x370, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

liveleak.com/view?i=9b6_1346289184&comments=1
youtube.com/watch?v=wwYO545cI5E
youtube.com/watch?v=rgYDfporX00
youtube.com/watch?v=5-0zFqgRxZM
youtube.com/watch?v=rMwTNH8IpXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not optimal for gaining strength
>not optimal for gaining size
>not optimal for functional performance
Literally a waste of time.

Attached: 41IKW+VmnhL._SX355_.jpg (355x262, 18K)

That's why I do it everyday. I secretly want to die while doing bench press, I'm just too much of a coward to do it voluntarily so everyday I go into the gym hoping that my muscles fail me.

this. if you're really itching (even though you'd get better gains with dips and barbell press) just do dumbbells

liveleak.com/view?i=9b6_1346289184&comments=1

really? bench is a waste of time? proof? I hate doing bench and would love a reason to stop

Your fear only makes me stronger

Attached: image.jpg (600x579, 71K)

I forgot what its called but its a bench press that has a small electric cable going through the top and if you let go the big cables holding it stop. You plug it in but if say the power goes out the cables just stop where ever they are.

that pretty much lessens more of your gains. at that point why even bother with bench press?

I'm currently only benching 1.5 pl8 and I'm unironically frightened of eventually getting up to 2 to 3 pl8 press. I have a power cage in my homegym but I've seen enough videos of guys dropping the bar onto their chest...

Attached: 1519867999792.jpg (1080x1350, 262K)

>me be super skelly
>start using bench press machine at work
>get up to 70 lbs (yes not joking, 70 lbs)
>starts hurting right shoulder when i bring it back because it brings my shoulder so far back but keep going through it every day
>today i try again and hear shoulder cracking sounds and pain as i do it so i have to stop

maybe resting over the weekend will fix it up

keep controlled reps, dont ego lift, don't flail and if it really worries you don't use suicide grip

Found it
youtube.com/watch?v=wwYO545cI5E
Ok honestly this one looks shitty my ex roomate had a better version

How would it lessen gains? If you let go of one hand the entire bar stops, but you can still kill yourself if you refuse to let go while its crushing your chest

Lol no

ITT: OP and his fellow manlet cohorts try to cope with the fact that they have a shit bench press.

Attached: 1513896429967.jpg (736x522, 31K)

Total waste of fucking time. The only activity you need bench for is bragging about your bench. Grow your chest with some variation of flyes or pullovers. Delt/tricep's can be covered with dips and OHP.

what the hell am i supposed to do then? i can adjust the handgrips to stop further out, maybe ill do that after it gets better

Floor Press is better

i dont comprehend how height plays a role in this. If anything else having longer arms can fuck you up even more if you drop it

Aren't the only deaths from bench people who were going to testify against hillary?

having shorter arms is a benefit in the bench press because you have to lift the weight a short distance retard

Are you squeezing your scapula together and down when you bench? I used to not do this and also had shoulder pain when benching. once I tried this I felt more work in my chest and no shoulder pain

t. 6’4” skelly

Natural selection imo

t. manlets with a shit bench press

Attached: 1510687650443.jpg (782x835, 117K)

>Delt/tricep's can be covered with dips and OHP.
my place of work has a hydraulic seated dip machine (i think its a meme because i can do reps of 130 lbs on it and i have literal twig arms) and it says it actually works the pecs a bit too because of when you start from the top, it retracts your scapula back a bit and you have to use the pecs to initiate the movement

>better gains with barbell press

Absolutely not. Strength gains, sure, because it's way easier to progressively overload with a shared load than not, but in terms of aesthetics, hypertrophy, and mind=muscle connection proper dumbbell benching blows the bar out of the water.

Barbell bench is a waste of time. Flat or angled. Dumbbells are better for chest development, and so are chest dips, cable flys, and even the pec-deck. Barbell benching is for powerlifters and athletes who have to shove.

>inb4 show us your chest benchlet

>the only lift people will ask you about is a waste of time

>caring what normies will ask you about

also diddlies, squat are more popular especially among women

>>inb4 show us your chest benchlet

So why didn't you?

>gains or death

I win either way

Bench Press is the dullest lift in the history of compound lifts. Seriously each rep following the unracking of the bar and it's plates from the rack as it weighs down on your horizontally positioned body has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the minimal carryover into sports performance, the lifts' only consistency has been its lack of chest development and ineffective use of the front delts, all to make lifting lazy, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rippetoe vetoed the idea of adding weighted dips to Starting Strength; he made sure the book would never be mistaken for an effective program that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his live seminars. The bench press might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-weighted dip in its refusal of coordination, beauty and functionality. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least for novices it's good
"No!"
The lift is dreadful; the results are terrible. As user benched, I noticed that every time he went for a rep, he wrote instead that he "made absolutely no chest gains" later on Veeky Forums

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The bench press is so governed by ego and gymbro wankery that it has no other practical application. Later I watched a lavish, loving youtube review of bench pressing by the same Jason Blaha. He said something to the effect of, "If these kids are benching at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to do Ice Cream Fitness." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you bench you are, in fact, trained to become a fucking fatass.

>not just going for ottermode with DB workouts

Attached: ottermodeplan.jpg (723x1000, 79K)

anyone got cliffnotes for this?

wtf is going on in that picture

i can bench 175 3 times for 5 sets is that good

I don't get why you fags are worried of "risking your life" with a bench. Worst case scenario, you dump the plates off of one side and let gravity do the rest.

>"No!"
Every time

Attached: 1521240352194.jpg (750x775, 122K)

R u a girl

nope

not good but is ok

Then no

LOL, go find me someone that has a small chest and can bench 405 that isn't a powerlifter

damn even Veeky Forums has it's "No!" copypasta

you'd probably be better off benching less weight for 5 or more reps or doing some sort of pyramid

Attached: 1517971604482.jpg (399x384, 19K)

Dumbbell Bench Press > Barbell Bench Press.

Are you retarded? Do you not understand how dumb your statement is?

Do you not realize WHY powerlifters have underdevloped chests? It is because they only do the bench press to jack up their bench press numbers and the bench press is an awful exercise for chest development.

You literally just proved that guys point. Non-power lifters are going to be doing OTHER chest exercises.

Show us your benchlet chest

DUMB BELL PRESS

dumbbells suck i wasnt going anywhere until i did barbell press

>all these soyboy faggots hating on the bench

Hahahaha. I bp 3 plate and everyone at the gym looks at me like I'm some sort of God. I also have a visibly far larger chest than all the faggots doing dumbbell press (which is far more inconvenient and with a larger risk of injury). Benching big weights gets women wet like no other exercise, too (bitches don't care about squats and don't know what deadlifting is).
Stop looking for excuses and just bench, faggots. Jesus fucking christ.

SHRUG UP
ROW BACK
DROP THEM BITCHES

Or you can just do both dumbbell bench and flat bench on the same day.

well, I know how you're going to die.

does anyone have a decent webm so this user can see his future demise?

must be weird to know how you're going to go

stick to 2pl8 and work on strength until 2pl8 3x5 becomes a breeze. then just do 2pl8 with increasing reps

This man is correct

>can rep 225 for 20+reps
>have a shit chest
You dont lift weights at all do you?

>yeah I can do 10 dips with 90 lbs. Added
>"uh that doesn't sound like much, Chad benches 315 lbs"
>yeah but dips are different they totally let you grow your chest too! Plus it's 45 lbs plus my bodyweight so my lift is actually more of a challenge!
>"uhhhh that's weird and sounds like a lot of math, let's go Stacy this guy's a weirdo"

>“s-sure i don’t lift as much as those chads but it’s safer this way!” user reassured himself as he wiped away his tears

Underrated post

Just do bench press first

>tfw fucking orangutang arms and benching like a madman
manlets btfo

Attached: bloat.jpg (954x934, 41K)

Literally can't happen. You know there's these things on the sides of the bench? Like in OP's pic, they're called guards or whatever. Which is why I suspect OP's pic might be shopped, how the fuck is the bar going past the guard? Well anyway, it's impossible to kill yourself on a bench with those in the way because, while benching with proper form, you've arched your back up so that it goes higher than the guards on the sides, but if you failed to lift the bar, you'd lie flat and the bar would just land on the guards. You're safe. Or just get a spotter like a normal fucking person.
To be honest I'd rather die at 25 bench pressing 3+ plate than from fucking dementia shitting myself at 80 or whatever.

>Bench Press is the dullest lift in the history of compound lifts

tl;dr version of this entire sperg out: "my 1 rep max for bench press is 95 pounds"

Attached: 1520644649273.jpg (640x503, 62K)

I'll just leave this here.

Attached: machine-chest-press.png (1320x930, 480K)

but that's like saying the majority of traffic fatalities involve a Toyota or something. It's just the most popular lift. It's still pretty risky, but it's a numbers game. Plus you have every retard who's never lifted before figuring he can cold 1rm 2 plates adding to that.

I'd imagine it's because you're fat or have shit genetics desu

Thanks für this, my friend. Got a lot of shit in the face here when I wrote that I do incline, decline and flat db benchpress.

Attached: 1.webm (1280x720, 2.48M)

>jean shorts
and nothing of value was lost

You retard learn how to bench.

That volume is so low you should be doing 8 sets. Then the intensity is too high. Just so 3 sets of 6-8 reps and you’ll grow much faster.

I stopped flat benching nearly 18 months ago. It always bothered my left shoulder, from partial tear in my rotator cuff. Since then my incline has exploded! I was never really strong on incline, but now i can push 225 for reps.

>not just doing ohp

It's a better exercise and uses more muscles

lol fucking retarded dane

There's only one Barbell Bench at my gym and its always crowded by groups of teens and indians so i rarely get on it.

So most of the time i do DB bench instead, which seems to be progressing fine but now the weight is getting awkward. It's not that i can't bench it because i can, but the set up is getting too hard, swinging those DBs onto my knees, and frankly they're getting heavy enough to hurt, and then having to lean back and keep them in place, requires so much strength in itself.

Any advice? I feel like im capped at 26kg each side because despite me being able to bench it comfortably now, every time i go higher i almost drop the fucking things on the set up.

I bench in the power rack, there is literally 0 chance for me to injure myself.

Attached: fit bench arm snap.webm (1280x720, 205K)

youtube.com/watch?v=rgYDfporX00

youtube.com/watch?v=5-0zFqgRxZM

youtube.com/watch?v=rMwTNH8IpXU

Chads btfo!

Attached: 98e.jpg (680x348, 41K)

You have never been to a gym.

Attached: gym bum.webm (450x234, 1.44M)

Strengthen your legs. I bench the 50kgs, and I train with guys who bench up to our gym's 75kgs (never seen anyone go heavier with the dumbbells) and all of them have big, meaty legs. It'll help a lot.

Like to cushion the weight?

I could just get fat instead

BASED

Attached: 1519473094909.jpg (1578x2842, 1.27M)

As usual Veeky Forums shills spreading absolute bullshit and the sheep eat it up. Bench press is one of the best compound exercises for building a strong upper torso and overall pressing power.

There's a reason why pretty much every kind of athlete incorporates it into their program; bodybuilders, powerlifters, powerbuilders, weightlifters, strongmen, sports athletes etc. If you're new to this board always read the shit Veeky Forums spews with a discerning, questioning mind if you don't want to get memed or mislead by their false information.

Attached: IMG_0710.jpg (450x450, 52K)

Lol

started going to the gym 3 months ago and i can do 70kg including the bar, is that good?

Its called a cage and it can hold more weight than you can possibly lift you dumb fucking shit how does this thread have so many replies

/thread

the average male starting weight is 70kg

Damn, Todd Howard looks like THAT?
I guess I'll have to buy Fallout 4 Deluxe Edition.

that's a no

Depends on your weight t b h. Is this 70kg for 5 reps? 3 reps? 1 rep max?

>Which is why I suspect OP's pic might be shopped, how the fuck is the bar going past the guard?
There's a gap between the guards and the rack, which the bar went through.
Said gap is partially obscured by pl8s.

>inb4 that's horrible design for guards
Yep. It is.

I'd rather die than miss on my gains

lmao nice spot bro!

Attached: rr.webm (720x372, 889K)

100% of gym related deaths are the result of retardation

>>jean shorts
yep, the guy would get kicked out of my gym for not being in proper gym clothing

Attached: big boy big lifts.webm (1280x720, 1.16M)

What the fuck happened here, did the bar break his fingers?

He seemed like he was going to get it up there before he dropped it

I dunno, but I know that guy died