Vegetable size vs Nutrition

Let's say I have to 2 kg of carrots, one kg of large carrots and one kg of small carrots. Which kg will contain the most nutrients? I have a feeling that vegetables have more concentrated nutrients when they are smaller and then when they grow they will add mostly water and sugars. How does the size of a vegetable relate to the nutrition?

Attached: vegetables.jpg (368x257, 70K)

Google "baby carrot nutritional facts" table and then google "large carrot nutritional facts" and compare them you lazy piece of shit

This was not my question..

That was exactly your question though, is English not your first language?

> I have a feeling that vegetables have more concentrated nutrients when they are smaller and then when they grow they will add mostly water and sugars.

No. This isn't true. You can't get MORE NUTRITION out of FEWER CALORIES.

how dumb can you get?

>thinking that the continual change between small and large carrots are exactly the same as the categorical difference between baby and large carrots
is intelligence not one of your abilities?

I am not only talking about macro-nutrients

thanks for the constructive feedback

>I am not only talking about macro-nutrients
ok? it doesn't matter if we're talking about fibre, carbs, protein, calcium, fat, zinc, etc..
you can't get more of anything out of a smaller portion. this is just basic common sense.

this is Veeky Forums in 2018 ladies and gentlemen

Attached: 1519568414207.jpg (739x673, 101K)

fruit and berries that are unripe have more types of acids and alkaloids in them than the ripe variant, this to prevent them from being eaten.. if this is true for acids and alkaloids, why couldn't it be true for other substances?

>fruit and berries that are unripe have more types of acids and alkaloids in them than the ripe variant, this to prevent them from being eaten.. if this is true for acids and alkaloids, why couldn't it be true for other substances?

that isn't what we were talking about though. the original question of the OP was if smaller PORTIONS can net you MORE nutrition which is retarded.
fruit and berries having different things in them in a unripe state vs. a ripe state is a completely different thing

>what's heavier 1kg of led or 1kg of feathers?

not really, it is all about the nutrients you are interested in.. if you are interested in protein smaller vegetables might contain more protein than bigger ones PER KG..

if each small carrot contains 2g of some nutrient and there are 10 in 1kg and each big carrot contains 3g of some nutrients but there are 5 in 1kg then the kg of smaller carrots would contain more of that nutrient than the bigger carrots per kg

>if you are interested in protein smaller vegetables might contain more protein than bigger ones PER KG

ok, no. A lower amount of carrots will 100% NOT have more protein than a higher amount of carrots per kg. Thats not how it works. Its the same nutrient values, just less of it. Not hard to understand.

so you are saying that per kg it doesn't at all matter the size of the vegetable? if there are 50 small ones or 5 big ones, all nutrients are the same if the 50 small and 5 big weight the same?

yes, obviously

so you're serious about this?
ripe produce has on average the same nutrients regardless of individual size. if you compare ripe and unripe then that's a different story.

>he wants micronutrients
LOL then get pic related and eat vegetables for the taste and the dietary fiber. You can't get optimum levels of micronutrients from food alone, so don't even try, you'll just make yourself sick every day trying to eat bushels of bulky vegetables and prolapsing your anus shitting your guts out from 10,000 grams of fiber every day.

Attached: opti-energy1.jpg (320x500, 42K)

if the grow-stages between smaller and larger vegetables differ then there could be nutritional differences.. if the smaller vegetables need a certain nutrient to develop in the beginning while the larger ones does not need this nutrient but largely stores glucose then there could be a difference.. different carrots grow at different speeds and hence some may be considered 'unripe' if that particular variety should reach a certain size when mature.. if this is the case then it actually is a question of ripe and unripe carrots, and then nutritional values might differ

The more skin the more nutrients in general.

2/10 shitpost.

You're an idiot, kill yourself

Look up the bioavailability of the veggies you're interested. Not all food is equal

fit approved foods

Attached: 1521264500231.webm (540x360, 2.91M)

Babby carrot is just shaved big carrot

>tfw gf get's angry at you for not considering that carrots are the plant's storage organ and therefore there are no unripe carrots.
so good for you for picking carrots as your example.
so yeah, carrots don't have different grow-stages, they just increase in size.
either way due to environmental differences there are alway great differences in produce's nutrient content. you can't know the content just by looking at them. the numbers in nutrient tables are averages from hundreds of measurements anyway. which is fine since you usually eat a bunch of said produce every year and so it evens out over time.
tl;dr on average there's the same nutrient content in 1kg of small carrots as there is in large carrots of the same weight.

>thinks baby carrots are grown like that

this is why I didn't say baby carrots but small vs large carrots

I know there are larger variation between carrots, that is why I only stated the size difference. Okay so if it is the same for carrot, what is the situation for other vegetables that aren't storage organs?

why would anybody eat unripe vegetables?
they taste bad, are hard and in some cases contain unhealthy/toxic compounds. in short they're uneatable.

Baby carrots are just large carrots that are cut into small pieces and then peeled/edge rounded.

Homegrown vegtables can have more nurition per weight compared to a comercially farmed vegtable that is bred for weight, size/looks, palatibility and shelf life. But it isn't neccesarily always true.

You were asking about small carrots which are called baby carrots in my area, even in their final grown state. Either way you can easily look up the nutritional facts for these "small carrots" species.

Also you can look up the stats for every other vegetable and just do your own work

There could still be size differences between vegetables caused by differential in growth and/or small genetic changes which cause them to be smaller

I am not talking about baby carrots, I mean if you buy a bag of carrots, not all of them are the same size, some are larger and some are smaller..

The difficult part is to find the data that compares sizes and nutrition in the same vegetable

larger specimens can be more starchy but will have the same nutrient levels other than that

bump

Again those things just don't matter when you look up nutritional data in a table.
The way these values are determined in a lab is to take a specific amount of sample material an analyse it. For example 1kg of carrots, so there are big and small ones mixed in there. They are put in a blender with some solvent and blendet to a "smoothie" so everything is homogenized.
Then an aliquot is taken and it's protein content is analyzed. Then another aliquot is taken and is carb content is analyzed. And so forth. In reality it's a bit more complicated of course but you get the picture.
Based on the aliquot's content the values of the original sample are then calculated.
You can repeat that for another sample of carrots you bought another time from somewhere else and calculate mean values. So you end up with values of an average for carrots. Large, small, straight, bent it does not matter.

The values you find in tables are averages derived from many different carrots.
So no one carrot you eat has the exact same values that you got from a table but they're close enough that it evens out when you eat more than one carrot over the course of your life.