Whats the difference between leg press and squat? Should I do both or stick to squats?

Whats the difference between leg press and squat? Should I do both or stick to squats?

Attached: deep-squat.jpg (480x360, 53K)

>stick to leg press user!
>Squats will break your spine!

Attached: stock-footage-serious-doctor-holding-his-professional-clipboard-in-his-bright-office.jpg (400x224, 8K)

Ones only really good for folding your knees backwards if you even come close to full ROM, the other is great for a full body trip to snap city.

You're my urologist. You're not even a real doctor.

leg press is more quad centric

that's pretty much it. There are safety factors at play on both lifts

Do squats primarily, leg press as accessory. Don't overload the leg press or do too much rom on them, that's not the point. Keep high reps on leg press, don't let the lower back come off the pad.

When you squat you're engaging stabilizing muscles all over your body and building structural integrity into your kinetic chain.

Leg press does not do this for you. You can do leg press if you want some increased size in your legs but if you have to pick one, do squats.

BRAP IN MY MOUTH BABY MARRY ME

Just front squats

>all the benefits of squats, without the risks
>dont have to deal with loading up 10+ plates on a leg press

Attached: 51m3Y1kw+GL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (260x342, 31K)

I think you should do front squats and back squats.

Backs squats build that posterior chain.

Should they be done in the same workout or alternate?

Me on the left

How much weight should/can I put on? I've never used a press before. I sqt 235 right now.

Leg press has much less of a back element than squats and allows you to load your quads more than squats if you have a stronger back. However, leg press also has the benefit of added flexibility by possibly bending your legs backward. Belt squats are a safer version of the leg press, so just do that. And yes, you should be doing both movements.

Fuck, no, 205.

Will leg press help increase my squat? Current squat is pathetic and I tried increasing weight by 10lbs and its the first time I've ever failed a squat (thank you safeties even if they were a bit low).
I don't even want to say how much it was, but it was between 1 and 2pl8.

Attached: 235363452.jpg (320x422, 46K)

I'd say leg press is slightly easier than squats so go for around what you squat then increase from there.

>slightly
the last time i used the leg press i was squatting 110kg for 10 reps
i could easily do 210kg for 10 reps on the leg press

Go low and get a feel for it first, it's easy to move the weights but there's quite a bit of shit involved start at 180, and go up from there till you think you can hit like 4x10 it something. (You should be able to do more than normal squats cause decreased stabilisers and decreased rom), but there's at least two adjustable on the machine so fiddle with then to find what works for you
Other tips:

>Brace like you would a normal squat or else your thigh will hurt your ribs
>Don't go too deep into contraction, just makes you lift your lower back. There is a sweet spot you want to hit
>Low rest
>High vol

don't put on any weight just do moar squats your weak enough that you don't need food yet

one is a an actual type of lift, and one is a way for untrained people to say "woah dude, i totally pushed, like, 600 today".

Attached: 1515379146229.jpg (720x600, 120K)

Attached: 1504685169757.jpg (720x405, 37K)

hehe

deadlifts and hip hinge variations build the posterior chain more than squats do, picking a squat variant based on how much it activates your posterior chain doesn't really make much sense unless you're rippetoe and mistakenly believe the squat is a hamstring exercise

the glute engagement differences aren't that big between front and back squat, erector engagement is better for fronts, adductors more for back squat, hamstrings negligible for both due to lombard's paradox

Yes it will help if your quad strength are keeping you back.

This is the best answer.

>deep-squat
More like DEEP BRAPPP am I right? can I get a:
>ayyyyyy

Attached: sniffers.jpg (400x400, 23K)

>don't let the lower back come off the pad.

I agree with this so much... I used to overload the leg press and didnt even realize what was happening to my lower back... shit hurts and is basically snap city

Attached: sniff3.png (337x269, 138K)

Based user

faggot

>not parallel
>knee wraps

Attached: pathetic.jpg (953x1282, 110K)