I always hear dumbbell worshippers talk about how the Dumbbell press is better than the bench press...

I always hear dumbbell worshippers talk about how the Dumbbell press is better than the bench press. Is there any any evidence for this or is it just shit they make up?

Attached: Dumbbell-Bench-Press-990x509[1].png (990x509, 315K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7IdRUmozYv4
youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZAPSKhWRM&t=515s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like it cause it stretches your muscles more, so I feel it more. But I do both.

Yeah just do both. Why do people even ask this.

Do barbell bench and dumbbell incline bench you silly goose.

Why not try a floor press and a tate press too?

reverse grip dumbbell press is the real deal

MUH EMG ACTIVATION, despite the fact that most people who dumbbell bench lower their weight greatly so they don't tear their shit up, negating any EMG benefit.

Floor press is where it's at. Works your chest and triceps more because you can't use your legs and allows you to go really heavy while minimizing the risk of a pectorial tear.

I actually do the opposite, Barbell incline and Dumbell bench

Dumbbell is objectively better but they typically only go up to 100 lbs at most gyms so strong people have to barbell.

I start the press with thumbs up and then end at the top with thumbs facing each other. It's a nice workout.

they went to 125 at my alma mater (a small liberal arts college) and at the gym where I go to out in the country. you just gotta find gyms for strong people

Pros
>better for pec development
>better for muscle balance and symmetry
>better for joint health
>easier to push yourself on

Cons
>finding a gym that goes past 100lbs
>not being able to brag about your bench press
>harder to micro load

The winner is clear.

From what I was told, I only do incline db press, along with dips and cable flys

Bench is easier to overload with, so it's better

Not to mention using 90 lb dumbells is a pain in the ass

>The winner is clear
You say that but your pros and cons seem pretty balanced actually.

Do both. I prefer dumbbells but its easier to plateau with them because dumbbells typically increase in weight in 5 pound increments, meaning each time you switch to the next heaviest sst you increase by 10 pounds as opposed to barbell where you can increase by 5 pounds at a time if need be.

If you're looking for a nice pec workout OP, I recommend hex press and the incline/decline cable fly. I personally just don't feel benching or dumbbells at all in my chest, mostly just my shoulders.

>Floor press is where it's at. Works your chest and triceps more because you can't use your legs and allows you to go really heavy while minimizing the risk of a pectorial tear.

He's giving the win to dumbbells, because it has one more pro

This is the patrician choice
>'but muh flat bench lift'

>implying I can bench even close to 100lb dbs

Attached: 1395587408609.jpg (235x222, 8K)

Get bored with bench? use dumbells. Interesting thing about dumbells I find is the dumbell flys. Do a great job of developing chest and muscles in your front and back delt. This helps stabilise your body if you curl heavy. Where the only difficulty in the bicep curls becomes the actual biceps themselves giving out. Doing dumbell flys helped me understand how Arnold managed to curl heavy barbell. Ideally though if you are curling I recommend dumbells heavy as available then barbell.

Hammer dumbbell curls fuck my shit up, I feel incredibly weak doing them.

how do you lift the weights from the ground on a dumbbell floor press? I've been using my elbows to put them in position but it doesn't seem very safe now that I'm starting to use heavier weight

If you honestly think that then you need to get your priorities straight bro

I fucked my shoulder real bad doing dumbbell press. Now I only do bench, but I don't see the same kind of results.

same
strangely feel more activation with my upper pec doing barbell but more overall pec activation with dumbell bench
different strokes for different folks

guys should check out the UCV raise by the based fit god Jeff Cavalier, goat for inner/upper pec development

Link?

This is why I don't like them.

>being afraid of a little pain
pussy

Attached: 1511742590874.jpg (799x1200, 561K)

>Ego lifting went wrong

Attached: you_called.jpg (1080x720, 57K)

fpbp
dumbell press allows a better stretch which can better develop the lower pec, but it shouldn't replace barbell bench

I usually alternate on my chest days

>chest day 1: flat bb bench, incline db bench, incline db fly

>chest day 2: incline bb bench, flat db press, flat db fly

youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZAPSKhWRM&t=515s

starts around the 7m30s mark

bb for strength, db for aesthetics
both if you're not a faggot

How do you set up/finish a set for dumbbell bench press without fucking your shit up? The higher I go in weight, starting and ending a set becomes much more difficult.

Man this guy didn't even try when he shopped it.

Why not do barbell bench 3x5/5x5/3x3/5x3 whatever for strength and then finish with a dumbbell bench for a million reps for """size"""

Why can't you use something like this and use heavy washers or other microplates to slowly increase the weight?

Attached: Adjustable Dumbbell.jpg (500x500, 34K)

>Bringing your own adjustable dumbbell set each time you go into the gym

Did you think this through? That set would be too light to dumbbell bench anything with. He would have to bring nearly 200 pound with him or have a two 100 pound dumbbells at home.

QTDDTOT
I dont have bench yet, Im doing db press on wooden floor.

And i didnt even asked the question... kill me.
If it alright if Im doing them on the floor for now till my gf gets me bench for my bday next month?

That's called a floor press and some people, including me, believe it's even better than benching. It's the original bench press, used before benches became popular in strength training.

I wouldn't waste money on a bench when you could get a barbell set, squat rack/stands, or power rack instead. The weights can be found on Craigslist or you could make them out of concrete or metal rotors, if you are handy. Any 1" solid bar should be able to load up to 500 pounds. Around 1000 pounds if you get 1144 steel, which is about $40-50 most places for a seven foot length.

they are much harder/feel better but you get to a point where you can probably lift more with them if you could just get them up but getting them up becomes too awkward unless you have some bro to help

Thanks alot for answer, user!
We dont have cragslist in here tho ;(
Powerracks are super expensive in here and I've seen plenty of pretty cheap and solid benches. I got two dumbbells with shitton of weights. Next months I really wanted to buy barbell and some more weights so I can finally do proper squats and deadlifts with bar instead of DB.
I will think about it tho.

I just do both... why worry about it

it feels better and Im all about things that make me feel better

I work chest twice per week.

1st day barbell bench and barbell incline for strength.

2nd day cable crossovers incline and decline (if that's what you want to call them) for aesthetics.

Prefer the cables to the dumbell for aesthetic, prefer the barbell to the dumbell for strength gains (and for filling out symmetrystrength!)

You could build a power rack out of wood and you can barbell floor bench inside of it. You can also barbell bench off some squat stands as well, which makes them a better option over just a bench. You would be practically buying a bench for just one exercise.

Makeshift barbells usually don't have collars which give you enough room to pack more lighter weights on, which is good if you don't have 45s or have vinyl weights, so keep that in mind as a temporary option. Anyway, the point is to get creative and there's hundreds of things you can do for a fraction of what most people spend on their home gym. I have 380 pounds of weight that only cost me around $25 USD.

If I can't go past 100lbs and no microloading is a huge turn off user

Dumbells require more stabilizer work, it's true. But they also require more work to even get into position pre-set and they have less gradual increments for progressive overload.

Attached: 1491532642161.jpg (540x541, 46K)

Everyone always says they feel it more. When I first started lifting I did dumbell bench and got to 45's for like 6 reps. Then my progress stalled forever and I switched to barbell bench. I had to do like 65 lbs total because the weight just felt so heavy and didn't feel stable in my hands. So despite what Veeky Forums says I feel like barbell is better for strength

Attached: 7rm6KEm.gif (300x250, 491K)

>Veeky Forums

I prefer dumbbells because it elucidates imbalances and other weaknesses.

>tfw I can bench 95lb dumbbells for 10 reps but can't get a 100lb one out of the starting position

You don't know pain.

Also, I prefer dumbbells because I can be autistic and not have a spotter. If I fail I just drop them who gives a fuck.

>When shilling becomes automated and you type Veeky Forums by default.

Attached: mfw.jpg (567x523, 38K)

T. a humble barbell merchant

You're not wrong though. Dumbbell benching is for faggots.