Swimming

Which is better?
Swimming after torso day(back, chest, abs, shoulders)
or limb day(arms, legs and ass)?

Attached: 11rio16_sw_danielle-dorris-100m_fly_sg-9sept201686958.jpg (1897x1231, 781K)

If you're using your legs for any meaningful amount of swimming you're doing it wrong. Swim after leg day.

> t. weak kicker

Elite age group triathlete actually, kicks are for kids.

Yeah, but my legs days are also biceps and triceps and forearms days.
And I do use those during swimming (I think, I haven't swam in years)

Sure thing, laddy

Attached: 1512399633161.jpg (900x900, 82K)

t. guy who doesn’t use longfins and can’t hold his breath for 3 minutes while finning

Swimming for triathlon is different to just swimming. If you want to do well as a straight swimmer, use your legs.
National age group swimmer.

>torso day

Lol never read such Shit, swimming is mostly leggos

>he doesn't have a torso

Attached: tordo.png (640x480, 5K)

turning this into a /swim/ general since we don't have one up

I just tested 100s today.
>long pool and push start
>average 131.8 over 10 sets
>best time was 1:26

I'm only 3 months in, is this decent for a beginner? Wish I knew we were testing today, I lifted weights right before this and I'm fasted.

I've been coaching competitive swimming for 7 years and this is fucking wrong

Meters or yards? I'd call that ok for a beginner either way but it's slow to the point where you definitely need to make sure you're focusing on form and technique over speed and distance when you practice, or you're going to end up reinforcing bad body position habits and be slow forever

It really doesn't matter. Just swim and lift. Order doesn't matter

Swimming is not stressful enough on your body to impact recovery in any but a positive way

how is it different ?
>t. clueless wannabe triathlete

I am a beginner at the gym, only been going for about 2 months, and I still have muscle doms.
I have read that it's not a good idea to stress a muscle if it has doms.

If your a beginner, then you REALLY shouldn't be caring about what's "best". Just see if you can even cosistently lift hard and do cardio for a year. Then start wondering about what you can do better.

If your supposed to go to the gym today, then do it. Soreness doens't mean anything in that regard. Do some extra warmup sets or something.

Swimming with doms will help cure your doms by getting blood to the muscles without actually stressing them.

triathlete swimming focuses on using the arms and having the feet just move enough to keep the body afloat and in a good position. this is to keep your legs fresh for the cycling and the run, whereas it doesn't matter too much if your arms are tired.
most triathletes use what's called a 2 beat or 1 beat kick, which means they do 1-2 kicks for every pull/pull cycle. competitive swimmers will usually be 6 or even 8 beat in a lot of cases.

yards

whoops, I had that at the top, but then cleaned up the post and deleted that by accident.

c u @ gold coast

It's pretty counter-intuitive to be practicing two-beat.

Most of the week I'm focused on form&technique, I've gotten a lot better, but today the coach wanted us to do sprints and my form was sloppy from exhaustion

>It's pretty counter-intuitive to be practicing two-beat.

We did that this week, it is definitely a weird motion to get used to. Can confirm what the other guy said. I'm being trained by tri coaches and they want us doing a 2 beat on race day

It makes sense, don't get me wrong. I only get remote coaching and workouts, but never advice on practicing two-beat or one-beat; it's really just kind of happens during open water swims for me.

Immediately after torso day. Makes your shit BLOW UP. Then just recover for a while, don't swim while you're sore or anything

I can ask for some tips if you want and reply on Thursday, I have access to a whole group of expert swimmers and an Olympian. Up to you if you have any specific questions. Goes for anyone ITT.

Cool, thanks.

Hand paddles or nah?

We used them this time, it felt a lot easier to practice that way than not using them.

I also started
>
Anyone who wants questions answered about biking or swimming can post them there and I'll bring them to my coaches

makes sense

Most triathlons are heavily weighted towards the running and cycling. Most triathelets try and conserve their legs for these and focus more on their upper body.

>torso day or limb day

Attached: giphy (2).gif (380x291, 1.82M)

so do you literally only use machines? otherwise how the fuck would you work legs without working back? or arms without back or chest?
do you not know how much youre missing by skipping the heavy compound excercises like squats or bench or even fucking pull ups?

>myeh, see?

lol good guess bro but that's not what we do

Mostly machines yes

I am a univeristy student, they have special discount for us(1$ for a day), but only if we use the gym maximum 2 times a week, otherwise it would be 10$ a day.
I had to split my exercise into two groups, and this one seemed the most logical

>pull ups
Sorry faggot, I wear big boy underwear. And I only have accidents once or twice a week. Cute you still wear pull ups, let me guess, Cars 2 print?

try a pull day and a push day. pull day: pull ups, curls, rows; this puts a focus on your biceps, back, and forearms. push day:bench press, shoulder press; focus is on chest, triceps. and throw in a leg day

oh yeah and stop using machines unless its later in your workout, after youre tired from free weights and will benefit from the extra support of a machine