/tri/ Triathlon General

Never seen one of these threads before, but I know some of you are getting ready and its race season now.

What kinds of races are you doing anons? Goals? Motivation?

Attached: mdot.jpg (1000x1100, 22K)

Also if anyone wants training tips or routines, I'm being trained at a serious triathlon gym with top notch coaches. I can pass along questions and answer them on Thursday.

i can't imagine this is going to get much traction here...

I'm in transition; essentially extending off-season through this year and only doing some low-key USAT stuff before getting serious for ITU next year. Remote coaching, a stupid amount of sprint training, and hopefully doing a HIM next year as well for myself.

>i can't imagine this is going to get much traction here...

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be slow. I just thought I'd give it a try, maybe get some more of Veeky Forums curious. What's low-key for you? I'm only doing olympics this year.

2, maybe 3 sprints and 1 oly. Trying to set the record for my hometown sprint, which will be something sub 1:05 and lofty because the bike course is like a roller coaster. I'm also switching to 1x on my sprint bike and adjusting to that. Trying to open water swim more and essentially get my three distances to a point in training that I'm comfortable with (swim under 15, bike under 35, run under 20).

70.3 Mont-Tremblant will be my "fun" race and I'll make a vacation out of it since I have family up there I should see.

*sub 1:15, not 1:05 (jesus)

I'd like to be able to do the triathlon of Alpe d'Huez, because of the mythic bike ascension.

I am very far from having the level to do that

I assume that's in the long distance course? That's really not impossible, you know.

Only one way to get on that level

whats a good basic exercise regimen?
also what about supplementary stuff(i.e lifting)
i wanna do one later in the year, but no serious training so far, just regular stuff

I'm gonna do an Olympic-distance real soon.

Tips or tricks?

What kind of lifting would supplement a triathlete? Would it be a basic lifting routine, or would it have to have more of a calisthenics/weighted calisthenics approach?

Also how often would you incorporate cardio such as sprints, cycling, swimming, distance running, etc? Would they take priority over lifting in general, meaning you should do more cardio than lifting?

Thanks for helping a newbie like myself out. I've always been curious what shapes a triathlete tbqh

There’s a lot of philosophies on lifting, so it’s hard to give you a straight answer. I’m spending a while thinking about the best way to answer this without any broscience. So what you have to consider is that successful triathletes fall on a range of power vs speed. Power athletes can crush the bike and gain an edge there, but then lose a lot of speed on the run as a trade off. The type of routine you do is dependent on where you’re trying to fall on the continuum and if you want to double down on a specific event (say you’re a good swimmer, consider doing a swimmers WL routine.) You should prioritize core strength if you have no specific plan, because that’s going to give you the most gains on both swim and bike.

Cardio plans range from 2-5 times a week of each exercise, depending on goals and current fitness level. I do 4-3-4 or swim/bike/run

lol the people doing triathlon look like complete shit 100% of the time
why would you want to do anything they do?

For beginners 3-3-3 is a fine place to start or building from 2-2-2 to 4-4-4. These are swim bike run. Space them out enough so that you can recover and don’t burn out, but by all means you can do more than one in a day that’s up to you to know your body a bit. You should train for about 20 weeks if you want to do well, with a couple of lighter recovery weeks. As for distance to train, that’s goal dependent, but you should be putting in at least 40 minutes on an average session. If you can’t do that right away, don’t get stressed over it, work into it. Ideally you want to find out what distance the race is and then tailor this advice to fit your needs

For lifting see . You get a lot of just making sure all of your stabilizer muscles are strong. Beginners will gain a lot of power on swim and bike from just pushing themselves on it.

Not everything is about aesthetics user. Triathlons build up your discipline and work ethic, you also get to meet a ton of awesome people and travel around.

It’s also fun

what does 3-3-3/2-2-2/4-4-4 mean ?

Did a couple of Sprints lasts year, but have been injured (running) most of the winter.

Got my 1mile swim time down to something respectable and I’m just building up my running again now. Got an ITU Oly’ in 12 weeks and thinking I’ve left it a bit late. Might try and squeeze a Sprint in about 8 weeks to see where I am.

Swim-bike-run

And in this context the number of days a week I was suggesting to do them

>Got an ITU Oly’ in 12 weeks

You can do it user! What’s your mile swim at?

Push/pull with more volume but consistent weight improvement has been working for me on 3-3-3. It think this could really only depend on what races you're doing and where your strength needs to lie.

Someone doing ITU sprints will have a much different regimen than someone on a Ironman plan.

>Got my 1mile swim time down to something respectable
Where are you at right now?

>Triathlon

Attached: 19985046_851503745001715_7104314462399627264_n.jpg (320x320, 23K)

Why not do both? My bike coach was the power lifting champion of my state at one point. He’s still huge and an all around awesome dude