/run/ - Running Thread

Running thread. Anything you would like to talk regarding running?

Any equipment/accessories that you love to run with?

Attached: runningbodybuilder.png (631x334, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

elht.nhs.uk/Downloads-docs/PLIMS/Leaflets/Lower Limb/Sprained Ankles - Patient Information and Exercises - PHYSIO 001.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can I use running apps to get feedback on how fast I'm running? Like have some tts voice tell me my speed in km/h every 10 seconds or something. I know it's a stupid question but it's easier to post than to actually try it out.

yes, get run keeper and it tells you your current pace and average pace

My fuckin IT band starts to hurt every time I run. I stretch it out all of the time. Even with the shoes to match my foot still causes pain.

Currently I can only run 1-1.5 miles without stopping. How can I increase my distance? Would just pushing harder help?

Do you foam roll? That's a hard muscle to stretch but easy to get at with a roller.

You have to do it consistently if you want to get better and if you stop you'll lose it just like lifting. Try going 2 miles per day for 5 days during the week with 2 rest days, you'll see a difference in just a week or two. From there you can find a running plan online or up mileage. Generally you can start at 10 miles per week if youre a non-running and increase mileage by 10% every week.

How to protect dick from the cold when running for long periods of time?

Is my heel supposed to touch the ground? Usain bolt runs completely on the balls of his feet

You're not supposed to land on it but it's okay if it touches the ground after that afaik. Blindly copying the form of one professional athlete is not that smart, even if he's the best in the world.

sportstracker is nice and addidas micoach

I tried to increase my distance by a few lamp posts every run, when i first started

Im curious how long those roid monkeys can run until they get a heart attack

I would like to run more for endueance but I find it more boring and time consuming than HIIT

What should your general strategy for a race be? I'm planning on signing up for a 10K this fall because the city I live in pretty much only have a single annual race and I'm more worried about running too slow than running too fast.

Should you just set a goal time for the race and figure out what splits you need to hit to complete the race in that time?

Run slower and add walking breaks to your run to the point where your runs are somewhere between 30-45 minutes. When you're just starting out it's more important to focus on doing longer runs and spending more time actually running than to run as fast as possible.

Yes. Personally, I use Strava. I think it has a nice feel to it. I don't know if it has the feature you're asking about, but I'd still try it anyways.
No, in many ways pushing harder will make it worse. I had a friend who trained his ass off one summer and pushed himself to the limit. Dropped his mile time af but the first race of the season his foot broke. Rest days(1 or 2 times a week) are essential. Try crosstraining somedays as well. Also, try to have a designated 'Warm up' distance of about a mile which you can stretch after and begin your regular run.
More clothes man. No other way. No shame in wearing sweats if it's cold af.
I walked on the balls of my feet only for about 5 years and it fucked up my spine to no end. I can't even imagine what running without your heel would do, but I don't imagine it's good. That's what common sense is telling me anyways.
Go for a sub-7 each mile. If that's your 10k, then sub 70:00 is a good time.

I'm currently doing 5K's at 40 minutes, my main goal for right now is just being able to run a 10K, then run a 10K in 60 minutes. But I don't know if that's too ambitious for my first race so going for 70 minutes seems like a good plan,or maybe even slower. I'm just concerned about having too much gas left in the tank by the end of the run.

I use Runkeeper. Recently bought a Hydration vest, one of the best purchases of my life.

Right mow I run about 70-80km a week, with two soccer practices in between.

>shoes:
I run in a pair of ON Cloudflow, probably my favourite pair ever. I also have a pair of New York Marathon New Balances for when I do intervals and track

I use Runkeeper, it's a great app

>I'm just concerned about having too much gas left in the tank by the end of the run.

Sprint the final 200m then. Getting your pacing right is always a difficult thing to control especially when you are running unfamiliar distances. You learn how to improve over time of course but the only real way of getting a feel for the appropriate pace that suits you is by by doing trial run at those distances and trial and error. The biggest mistake that newbs make is starting to quickly and gassing too early. You get slightly disillusioned with your pace when you run in a group which can cause you to misjudge your time and pace or try to overexceed - the adrenaline from being in a race doesn't help either.

I've sprained my ankle multiple times in the past and it feels less stable since then. Any stretching exercises or things to keep in mind while running?

Basically after you sprain your ankle you have to restrengthen the balancing and stabilising muscles in your foot.

elht.nhs.uk/Downloads-docs/PLIMS/Leaflets/Lower Limb/Sprained Ankles - Patient Information and Exercises - PHYSIO 001.pdf

I have done glute bridges to strengthen my hips. I learned that if you have you try to do a single leg squat you have weakened hips. You don't have to do a full squat but bend down and if you knee starts wobbling work on your hips.

Also body weight lunges and squats help to strengthen your legs.

Attached: jbearwant.jpg (537x360, 30K)

Probably much longer than you considering they run to avoid that
Doi doi doi