So, what do you guys substitute power cleans for in SS...

So, what do you guys substitute power cleans for in SS? I just alternate with more deadlifts at a lower weight and higher rep/sets.

Attached: 1508961020448.png (310x335, 69K)

i don't substitute them for anything because i'm about a decade removed from doing starting strength

i would advise someone with a powerlifting interest to do some lighter deadlifts on this day, and anyone who doesn't give a shit to just use that time and energy to do more back work (yes yes it's not a 1:1 replacement of a power clean obviously) which seems to be a pretty common adjustment to the program

Barbell row.

> I just alternate with more deadlifts at a lower weight and higher rep/sets.
So you go into Phase 2 whilst still doing deadlifts every workout?
What's even the point of following the program at that point if you can't even follow the phases? You'll just get burnt out way too soon.

Do the power cleans you pussy.

Why wouldn't deadlift varients or lighter deadlifts be better for assisting/alternating the deadlift than power cleans?

Mostly BB row. Usually the last 1-2 sets or reps turns into pendelay rows though. My forearms/grip is relatively weak. Also supp with bicep curls every session because I do kinda want to look good, but my biceps are actually just weak. I'll do dips and chip/pull ups but I've kind of given up on ups since my grip is usually fried after DL (I do 3x5, fuck 1x5 btw) and do curls instead. I do prehab with light assisted pull ups on OHP days though.

Attached: 1516044436168.png (1920x1920, 88K)

Do the power cleans--they're worth it.

>substitute cleans
translated
>I'm gay

full cleans

I was scared of doing power cleans too, and while I'm still not good at them, I'm doing them every other session like the program says, and I haven't cracked my collarbone or otherwise maimed myself. Just do them. Even if you don't have bumper plates and suitable flooring to drop the bar, you can just drop and catch the bar (Rippetoe mentions this technique in the book, but I dom't think he describes how to perform it in detail).

I would also suggest looking at other sources than the book for learning the power clean. I found that trying to follow Rippetoe's advice made me lose track of the bigger picture and also made me more prone to banging up my knees.

Even maximal power cleans are less stressful than most deadlift variants.

With SS, particularly towards the end, recovery is a bigger issue with the deadlift than getting stronger on it. If you're trying to milk the linear progression as long as possible at some point you have to start finding ways to make the sessions beat you up less.

I'm not scared of doing them, I'm just not terribly interested in doing something I'm just going to drop when I finish my linear gains.

>I cant think for myself. A book controls my life

Attached: 1521247812458.png (817x443, 34K)

But Deadlift don't feel that stressful. They are stressful in the moment, but I've only had to deload them once since I started 8 weeks ago.

Is it possible to hit 4pl8 deadlift without power cleans?

That's probably because you started eight weeks ago. You've still got a fair bit of room to go on the program (probably, some people drop off faster than others).

You can hit a 4plate deadlift without doing anything but deadlifting. Using power cleans just makes the program a bit easier. Also a fair percentage of people don't hit that before they're done with SS anyway.

Why the fuck do so many people opt to jettison the only fun part of Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression®™???
Seriously, it's the only lift that's not going to be a horrible grind in your third and fourth months of LP. Plus you get to throw weight around like a cool oly lifter badass. It is literally the only lift you will look cool doing. Do 'em.

Not from a Jedi...

I wanted to try them, but my flexibility and/or mobility is shit, so I just didn't do them and swept those potentially debilitating problems under the rug.

They seem beneficial from an athletic and coordination standpoint, but not so much from a muscle building standpoint. Just the fact that they are asymmetrical (ie left leg front, right leg back on every rep) makes me dislike them.

I gave them up just cause I didn't see the point. Totally open to the idea that I was missing the point or not doing them right. As for coordination and athleticism, there must be 100 exercises that are better.

>left leg front, right leg back on every rep

What kind of power cleans are you doing, sir?

For me at least, they seem too complicated to do without someone checking your form the first few times, which I don't have.
>t. lifting over a year and haven't cleaned once

I have awful wrists so i do pendlay rows instead.

>left leg front, right leg back
lol this kid is getting pranked by someone

Farmer's walks with heavy dumbbells. Much more fun, allowed in every gym, and will give you juicy forearms and traps to compliment your deadlift.