/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

"Fell asleep and forgot to bump the thread and now it's dead" edition

Attached: yamamotoc&j.webm (1336x748, 2.83M)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/Bf3dJpDglhg/?taken-by=feruccine
docs.google.com/document/d/12Js2Iynw20BJVTGOob7EMfPUXh7vdsYj_dInkjHj0NA/edit#
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
youtube.com/watch?v=DOUqwOIR-1c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would bump but im banned.

>have to work early
>end up not being able to sleep
>go to gym at 7:00 in the morning
>everything feels like shit
>cns didint wake up until 2 hours in

hey im a noob just learning the clean
is it normal to get bruises on your delts after the first few training sessions?

My sleep schedule is fucked up and I always consider just staying up without sleeping so I can crash at a normal hour but then I consider that I'd have to get through a whole training session without sleep and I never end up doing it

I should time it for a rest day or something

whys it so fucked man?

On a side note i ended up hitting a 143kg pr single, hows my form this is after also hitting my back off sets of 105kg 3x5. Also decided to meme and did some 200kg rack hold, that weight seems impossible to squat.

Attached: fs form.webm (426x240, 234K)

Is anyone here a coach? What are you certified under? Where do you coach? I want to coach as a job, but the usaw seems meme, and ill never use anything in the nasm. I dont just want to coach wl i want to also teach the SS method.

Attached: doop doop.webm (1280x720, 710K)

advice for getting back into training wl after a long period off?

This fag is a fag

USAW may be somewhat of a meme but it's the closest thing you'll find to an official certificate of training knowledge or whatever

Do you have a lot of experience with strength training/weightlifting in general? What are your current qualifications?

>tfw i can snatch and clean&J as much as a powerlifting dude who can FS 400lbs and DL 650. We have also been training the classics for the same amount of time. I will surpass him indefinitely.

I dont got any other than 8 years of fucking up in the gym, the last 3 i finally have been taking things serious.

gymnastics bodies lv1 cer
almost got my nasm but i failed it like 3 years ago

Toshigiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I have a hard time believing that his technique is up to par if you guys snatch/c&j the same but he front squats and deadlifts way more than you

you decide, i think you know who i am. Dudes strong as fuck.

instagram.com/p/Bf3dJpDglhg/?taken-by=feruccine

docs.google.com/document/d/12Js2Iynw20BJVTGOob7EMfPUXh7vdsYj_dInkjHj0NA/edit#

Took your advice guys, and read the doc above ^. What do you guys think about this?

Day 1 monday
Clean and jerk work up to a single
hang snatch + snatch + snatch pull x5sets
Seal rows 3x10

Day 2 tuesday
pause back squat 5x3
OHP 5x3
Ghr 3x

rest

Day 3 thursday
Snatch heavy single
hang clean + clean + clean pull x5 sets
Jerk not sure how to program in

Day4 friday
Front squat heavy single with back off sets of 5x3
Clean pull alternated with snatch pull 5x3
bench press 3x10
Lat pulldown 3x10

rest

rest

>too much of a soft, manlet, GDE bitch to compete in powerlifting/strongman competitions
>discover you can play with a bouncy bar instead
>become a crossfit cuckold
>mfw

lmaoooooooooooo embarrassing little faggots. no bump.

Attached: 1508471292340.png (244x251, 132K)

Attached: 1520016558280.jpg (250x245, 7K)

This isn't actually that bad. I recommend to hit around 10 singles around 80-90%. Don't go for a HS thinking about the weight, go for good reps. Something like 10x1@80-87% EMOM is great for tech

not really, no

someone need to teach dat bwah

Yes

Attached: 1521095639127.webm (640x640, 2.86M)

Attached: images (67).jpg (384x102, 5K)

dont open a thread if you don't have the links goddamit

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Feel free to post PRs, form checks etc

I finally got my 60kg snatch today guys!
total now up to a fun 150

>only today do i realise that you are meant to bend your arms when pulling downward to catch the bar.

Attached: 1370292786376.png (400x400, 178K)

>pulled 90 to my nipples
>didn’t believe I could snap under it so I didn’t

Why are mental gains the hardest part

>60kg Sn
>90kg C&J

Attached: 1437229083997.png (221x328, 93K)

Bulgarian meme is the best for mental gains imo.

Are you a girl? I snatched 60 first time I tried it

fuck off chad

Of you want to start I recommend either a coach or starting with snatch extremely dlowly and in portions. Omar or clarence kennedy have a nice guide

Go to a MaStrength camp for a day to get really great start. Chinese weightlifting by olympic coaches. Google them

How do I not lose strength and mobility when I wont be able to train for 2 weeks?

I fucking hate that hungry skelly who makes lifting some ultra scientific secret club.
Also he's weak as fuck for the amount of shit he chats

Is it the lack of balance or the low numbers that shock you more?

I can power snatch more simply because I have a better first than second pull.
I am still new to this and only count the reps where I go full depth.

Brute power will do most for your snatch and cleand and jerk initially. Insay that in the sense that if you cant backsquat 200kg yet getting there will add kg to your oly lifts faster than other things.

However ur technique must be at minimun proficiency too. Its worth really drilling in each portion of the lift till its muscle memory, then putting it together. You dont need to train heavy what so ever till then. Simply back squatting will carry over immensely till u hit 200kg.

Once you get there you should start focusing more on in depth technique under heavy loads with the oly lifts, and also start training heavy.

Going above 50% of max till that point is counter productive

This is shit advice

Dude just squat more you will get better at snatch lmao

thats exactly what i said.

If you can only squat 140kg, making sure you squat 200kg will put more KG on your oly lifts than any technique work will, along with training them directly so long as you have minimum technique proficiency.

In fact when I was in China for 8 weeks training in the halls thats pretty much what they explicitly explained to anyone who was not a strong squatter. they were not even allowed to train heavy with snatch or clean and jerk till they could squat 200, or close to it.

You're supposed to do the volume work around 70-85% most of the time with the classics. At the same moment you should focus on increasing your squat. That's what gives you the best results.

You'll never lift heavy weights fast if you don't train it. Show me how fast you move with 80-90% snatch / C&J and i might believe your theory.

not advocating neglecting it. a lot of time spent with lower weight working on technique, while in china they put a much greater emphasis on squats and front squats til 200kg is reached. mostly new people and teenagers in the "receptive" stage squat way more often than any of the mature lifters setting records do, because its determined that it is more beneficial for them to get a strong squat first. after 200kg extra squat poundage doesn't yield as much carry over and they train heavy more often with the oly lifts at this point.

Pretty much till then its just endless technique drills, especially broken up into segments.

I see the idea behind it and i get why the coaches are so strict about it. i agree that doing volume at 70-85% is important but that comes later. Kind of like trying to do a really fast mile. if your 40% bodyfat, simply losing fat without even running will increase your time substantially more than actively running will lol.

That was me mocking you

ITT: MUH CHYNEEZE METHODS

Lol okay, pretty much they are dominating along with eastern europeans and russia which is were this training principle even evolved from..

dont feel insulted because you are trying way too hard at the lifts when you cant even squat 200kg yet.

imagine telling some kid that can only squat 60kg that if he directly trains his snatch and clean and jerk he will get to a 100kg lift faster than if he just got his squat up to 200kg lol

guarantee that if he never clean and jerked in his life, but could squat 200kg Olympic style he would be able to clean and jerk 140kg within a month of starting.

Funny cause I started this sport over a year ago with a 180kg squat and I still only cj 117 cause my tech isn’t good enough despite front squatting a 180 double

Is it so strange to you that perhaps understanding how to handle semi heavy loads on classics (65-85%) ALONGSIDE increasing your squat strength is a perfectly reasonable goal for programming

Is it a good idea to work out twice a day? Some light work in the morning then oly at night? Give me the strats senpai.

Standard BB stuff is fine as accessory exercises right?

Started a couple of weeks ago after finally finding a coach. Got my shoes on the mail, pretty excited senpai.

Attached: 1511101645921.jpg (1920x1080, 233K)

A lot of my teammates who cant make everything in 1 workout do this

Idk if its not as good but plenty do it

Also why is your coach not programming for you

this

your advice is more and means very little.

HOW DO I FIX MY KNEES

We got a program set up for when I'm there at his gym, but its only 3 days a week. For the other 2 days I was just told to do regular bread and butter upper body bodybuilding stuff.

>Is it a good idea to work out twice a day?

It's not some phenomenal advancement in training paradigms, but if you do it sensibly, it won't hurt. I would do any "fast" stuff (classics, partials, etc) whenever you are most fresh for it, which is probably going to be the first workout of the day.

It's absurd to compare us to some china elite kids. Like listen to yourself man. These kids are picked almost when they're toddlers. Their potential to learn the lifts is probably 10x better than yours + after they hit that 200kg front squat at the age of 13, there's still plenty of years to reach full potential. For most of us it's starting to get late to even develope speed strength, and we should focus more on that now because we're getting older (+20 years). You can always develope raw strength, but speed strength is harder to develope at older age and it start's to disappear faster.

And i've also seen tons of videos of young chinese lifters doing max attempts, not just sticking to 50%.

There's also other stuff included like avoiding destroying their bodies before it's necessary. Squats are easier to control than classic lifts.

I've never seen anyone with good speed who starts to focus on speed strength after ~20 years (those who do have decent background in other sports).

For me this is and will forever be a hobby. I do want to be strong and have a good tech. But if i had to choose, i'd rather be as explosive as i can and move smooth than use raw strength to complete the lifts. That i can do later anyways.

#goals

Attached: 1511033097751.webm (1280x720, 2.94M)

And i do compete, but it's still a hobby. I'm not focusing on squats just because i want to lift as much as possible. I do weightlifting because that's what i love to do lol.

Fastest mile I ever ran was on /nosleep/. I recently had a good lift after an allnighter too. IME the tiredness doesn't kick in until later.

Sometimes I wonder if your CNS is better after an allnighter than it is in the early AM.

Of course just getting wired on coffee first thing in the morning fixes that though.

You're not going to develop "speed strength" to any great extent without developing Strength to a great extent. In fact, if one hasn't already made a consistent effort to improve basic Strength, doing so is going to be, by far, the easiest and fastest way to increase the amount of power one can display.

>I've never seen anyone with good speed who starts to focus on speed strength after ~20 years (those who do have decent background in other sports).

You might be putting the cart before the horse here. The kids who played a lot of youth and high school sports are naturally the kids who were just born at least average fast. Naturally, those kids are going to continue to have average or better speed/quickness/explosiveness in their 20s.

Speed and quickness (or power to bodyweight ratio) is largely genetic, based on what proportion of Type II fast twitch muscle fibers one is born with. Training can influence it around the margins, by focusing on exercises that recruit and thus train those Type II fast twitch muscles (heavy weights do this) and exercises that focus on maximizing neural recruitment ("speed" squats with 50%ish weights, snatches, power cleans and snatches, even short sprints and the like). But you're not going to go from a 14 inch vertical leap and 6.5 second 40 yard sprint to a 30 inch vertical leap and sub 5 second 40 yard sprint through any means sort of currently undeveloped mad science.

>You're not going to develop "speed strength" to any great extent without developing Strength to a great extent.
And i never said so. My opinion is to train the exercises around 70-85% most of the time while increasing your squat. That's what gives the best results for +20yo guys. If you aren't already training to move fast with 70-85% weights at that point, you're doing more harm than good really. You have to increase the recruitment of those Type II cells along the way.

I have increased my backsquat 20kg in one block, but only 5kg carried to my C&J while 0kg went to snatch. And then there's been blocks with around 5-10kg increase in squat while better % went to the classic lifts.

But it's also not a bad idea to have strength and classic blocks. But i find it more fun to include both at the same time, atleast most of the time.

And we do have real life examples
Grinding strength doesn't carry that well to classic lifts unless we're talking about absurd differences like 100kg - 200kg. But when we're talking about 160kg - 180kg, it's not hard to tell which lifter will snatch more. The one who did classics at 70-85% along the way, or the one who didn't or did them around 50%.

It should be worth noting though that like between 30-40 out of the last 60 weeks of training have been either strength cycle with minimal classics or GVT with classics once a week

But still

Finally getting better now that I am FOCUSING ON MY LIFTS AND NOT BBING

Shoot, alright. Ill give it a roll then. What about for jerks?

anyone else got recommendations/thoughts?

Btw why are you doing pull last in your complex? Looks kinda stupid unless you have a good reason for that.

Jerks are not that taxing / hard if you do them from blocks. Go for 2-3reps around 80-90% and do 3-6sets. If you want to change things up do them from racks and include a front squat, something like 2+2. Or do them behind the neck. It's not that hard breh.

Im still kinda new to doing the whole complexes thing.

Would it be wiser to do complexes the day after the heavy singles? and do squats after the heavy singles?

Should I buy some compression pants or something? My shins hurt like hell, maybe I'm just a bitch idk

Two days of doing the lifts isn't enough to build proficient technique, if you can't squat and do the lifts on the same day, I really don't know what to tell you

Attached: spinning man .webm (1920x1076, 2.51M)

>powerlifting is called powerlifting but has no power movements

So do my light complexes on the days i dont hit heavy singles?

use yoga pants under your shorts, or use compression pants i guess. They're basically the same thing.

What are your lifts as of now? Squats also

Attached: ass to grass.webm (637x354, 2.79M)

125kg clean and jerk
89 kg snatch
188kg back squat
143kg FS
93kg strict press
231kg deadlift

shiee for how long have you been weightlifting?

With your deadlift and back squat that strong, I'd focus more on pushing your front squat and accumulating more volume in the lifts as opposed to just working up to heavy singles.

Attached: CJ Cummings (69, 16 y-o) - 165-173-183kg Clean and Jerk Slow Motion - from YouTube.webm (1280x720, 1.96M)

stop posting this fucking nigger

You're just mad because he holds world records and lifts more than you

Attached: pyrros dimas sydney snatch.webm (733x550, 1.06M)

Is it a failed lift if the arse touches the ground?
I thought no part aside from feet were allowed to touch the floor?

Attached: tumblr_nqz7bxyLA71rbh1bzo5_400.gif (268x175, 1.97M)

>he holds world records
He doesn't hold any actual world records.

that was whitelighted

i took a year of training off to do bodyweight training lolllll!!!!. Went on a LP with SS, and ran Jordan Fieganbaums intermediate routine like twice. Been trying to get in WL since Feb.

this fattie is me

Will complexes help build volume with the classics?

Or wont this also build volume?

thanks based user

to get more volume, do more volume. Last snatch day I did 6x2 snatch, 3x3 power hang snatch, 6x3 snatch pull

Yes it should be redlights if that happens

youtube.com/watch?v=DOUqwOIR-1c

I was having kind of a hard time trying to figure out what Zack was implying with this video. It seems like he's trying to say that bodybuilding is more complicated than just doing 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps of any given bodybuilding exercise, but isn't that just what bodybuilding is? Why make it any more complicated than (and I know people are sick of hearing about the chinese) what the chinese do?

Attached: rebeka.webm (1336x748, 2.92M)

toshiki-senpaiii

Front delts hurt when I jerk and clean, but snatching feels really good. What do?

Really depends on you, if you bruise easily/have never had the bar on your delts before then it's probably fine but it may indicate that you're letting the bar crash on your shoulders

>I'll never use anything in the NASM
good choice, soon to be certified PT here and the course was pretty memey
Decent biomechanic/nutrition/physiology teachings but everything else is exactly why most PTs are ass

Well this only really explains the jerk but you could be moving the bar around your head rather than moving it directly upward without realizing it

Could be, the pain comes right before lock out. No problem with pressing, though. It'd probably be best to record myself a bunch and check it out, thanks user

Is there a way I can LP front squats without doing SS? More volume and a different set/rep scheme?

The former

update, narrowed my grip and pain is gone. I think it was just a lack of shoulder flexibility and a wide grip stressing my delt

I mean if you can do LP efficiently then yeah, pick a rep scheme you want and just add weight each session boyo. Just know that more volume isn't always gonna help, if you're still a beginner then you don't need a ton of volume

Thanks, I was unsure if needed that much volume. Do you think that 6x2 would be reasonable?

I’d have to keep rest kind of short though because I don’t think max doubles would be sustainable for long.

It sounds like a strength training question, so you could apply the same principles to it as you would for increasing any lift
You might benefit from doing more reps if you'd consider yourself a beginner, both to work on form and a bit of conditioning. But I'm mostly speaking from personal experience, honestly I'm not sure how you'd do with something like 6x2

What would you suggest to LP on? I read that it’s better to do a lot of lower rep work for good patterns. Anything but 5s pls.

10x5 non-negotiable. I really like 4x6 or 5x3, but I'm currently rotating between doubles and triples
Lower volume higher intensity is better for when your form is good since form breakdown is more likely to occur at a higher intensity
If you've been front squatting for a while, you're comfortable front squatting, and confident in your form, hitting something like a 6x2 should be fine. Normally beginners aren't great performing close to their 1RM which is why it's not generally recommended for them to lift very heavy.
Ultimately, if you can hit 6x2 without an issue then go for it. As long as you're not injuring yourself and progressing decently then there shouldn't be any issue
thanks for reading my wall of text if you've made it this far