Can somebody offer me a clear and tangible role genetics play in sports/lifting...

Can somebody offer me a clear and tangible role genetics play in sports/lifting? Whenever somebody looks good it's genetics, whenever somebody lifts big it's genetics, whenever somebody is good at a sport it's genetics, but WHAT EXACTLY about genetics plays a role in those things? Is there something measurable? Or is it just a cop out for lack of effort? I just want to know if I can measure my own genetic potential and how I'm doing relative to others

The more I read this board the more I get the idea that genetics are everything in life. From muscle, to intelligence, to beauty

Attached: IMG_8765.jpg (1024x1024, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8COaMKbNrX0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i think it really comes down to how your parents live.
neither of my parents ever did sports so i never did them until i turned like 16 and started lifting.

people who get successful in sports usually have parents who does/did sports themselves

Yeah they are. Also race and IQ are real to you dumb nigger

they are

It’s not fully understood yet but the leading theory is basically nervous system efficiency. This is why the standing vertical jump test is so effective at measuring a person’s athletic potential. It directly measures a persons ability to bring a group of muscle fibers into contraction like *that*. Your ability to call enough muscle online in a split second contraction is genetic. Some people can’t contract that many hence shitty verticals and some people can contract a lot hence good verticals. Those with good verticals will get stronger faster due to their superior nervous systems. The second part of your question relates to lean body mass which is also genetics: how much lean body mass can a person carry at a particular body weight assuming all things equal? This too shows how someone can be stronger or bigger than someone else with the same height and weight and training. There’s probably a link to athleticism/vert jump here but it’s hard to measure.

Our knowledge of specific genetic traits and their effect on athleticism is limited because its such a complex system. But we are able to determine that some people, due to inherited factors, respond more to exercise, have a higher limit for muscle mass and so on.

>>I just want to know if I can measure my own genetic potential

Not without very expensive equipment, no. But if you understand basic genetics you'll understand that they code for literally everything in your body. You can affect expression of genes by manipulating your environment (epigenetics) or the things the genes code for may react to environmental stressors (like lifting heavy weights). But attributing endophenotypic traits to genetics is pretty basic science.

>to

YOU CAN SEE HER AREOLA LADS, OH MY GOD WHAT A SLUT

So a test of my genetic athletic ability would be the vertical?

Also does anybody know about the endurance genetic component? Why are some people so good at the 1600? I'm guessing sprinting is the nervous system and fast twitch muscle ratio, but what about aerobics? Heart? Glycogen stores? Muscle twitch ratio?

yes genes are everything.
genes determine how well you respond to roids
genes determine your muscle insertions
genes determine your potential

give it your all but the final result is not entirely determined by your efforts.

Mostly genes have to do with athletic *potential* and everything you do and eat either build toward it or don’t. Basically it’s genes+effort+circumstance=athleticism.
For example, there might be someone out there with a better build, nervous system, musculoskeletal structure, etc than a world record holding (whatever sport) but without working toward that genetic potential and being in the right circumstances (having access to resources like food and training equipment) it’ll never show

M I L K T R U C K
I
L
K

T
R
U
C
K
|_________________|__\
(o) (o)

Genes account for the cutting edge individual but you can look at the top 30 for any sport and get a good idea if whats possible for normal dudes.

>The more I read this board the more I get the idea that genetics are everything in life. From muscle, to intelligence, to beauty
Veeky Forums is full of pseudo-blackpill bro-science morons whose primary goal is usually to spread disinformation and make others feel bad about themselves
"genetics" is a braindead meme that means absolutely nothing without contextualization
here's the best tip you will ever get on this board - don't come here for information

>genes determine how well you respond to roids
No.

okay great. Now I don't have to write this.
It's potential. So it could end up being nothing unless it's realized by effort. It's an easy excuse for some to justify their failures. KEEP GOING FIT. Look up David Goggins.

Yes.

Short answer is alot of stuff OP since genes are everything/ the whole reason we are alive.how quickly you can put on muscle, likelihood of injury to tendons,muscle fiber type aka slow twitch or fast twitch, whether you respond to ketosis, how well you can metabolize certain nutrients like vitamin A or Folate or even things like caffeine. its all cool to get your genes tested but its a double edged sword just like everything else.

Genetics ARE everything in life. Every time somebody speaks of free will, what they actually refer to is the huge combination of conflicting motivations and physiological systems that have each been favored by evolution. Every time someone speaks of genetics favoring physical performance, they speak of your muscle insertions, your hormone production, your height, your pelvic width, the length of your bodily segments, and many more things, all of which are determined genetically. Even the things you can change with training, such as posture, metabolism, bone density, etc, are effected by genetics in that genetics determines the extent and degree to which your body is capable of reacting to said training. There is nothing biological that isn't rooted in genes. Genes code for protein production and therein lies the schematics for everything that every lifeform has ever done.

>Can somebody offer me a clear and tangible role genetics play in sports

youtube.com/watch?v=8COaMKbNrX0

Yes and no. It's mainly equipment and drugs. Jesse owen is basically as fast as Usain Bolt, and other things. And of course the Big Bang of Bodytypes... anyway, watch it.

this is true but a little misleading. There was an article about a identical twin who spent time in space and now his DNA is different than his counterpart. The point being that DNA and genes aren`t as fixed as people believe.

enviroment and drugs/diet/supps play a role but lets be real going to space is a fucking extreme example

>I just want to know if I can measure my own genetic potential and how I'm doing relative to others

Why, so you can have an excuse to not bother if your "potential" isn't good enough?

Only way to measure your potential is to attain it. It will always be mysterious. That's half the fun.

milk truck just arrive

Attached: 1508937853306.png (692x444, 97K)

Spending 2-3 years training and qualifying for nationals as a 170lb 5'9 16 year old with great form to find yourself competing against 6'4 240lb kids the same age with terrible form.

There's a lesson in there somewhere. You can pick your battles... And picking ones you are going to lose does not show courage. Picking battles you might lose takes courage. There's a reason the smartest kids generally don't box and it's not because they can't. Maybe the concussions just aren't worth the Bs.

The sooner you learn to play to your strengths the better. I know some absolute specimens locally who are 30 and trying to bring 90s NYC hip hop to podunk. They are OK now but they're about 15 years too late and have nothing to show for it.

You are right but I don`t mean it as a recommendation. Just showing how DNA can change in case OP thinks it`s set in stone from birth. I remember reading something similar with people who have experienced starvation and even just regular fasting and how it can affect changes in their DNA.
I recall the more recent conception of genetics as being initial settings set on a different dials that start at one setting at birth but then can be adjusted from there through various stimuli.

I'd tell you but you don't have the genetics to understand

>genes don't determine how your body interacts with hormones

shiteatingbrainletwojak.mp5

his dna sequence didn't permanently alter

Fuck. You`re right.
The gene expression is more accurate to say.

>perfect body and face D E S T R O Y E D by that "I burn the coal" signifier septum ring